The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Another beautiful day here clear Sunny day, 75f expected. What a pity that Cricket is not more popular here? 

Decided not to cut the grass yesterday as we we have had no rain for over a week. Will await until after the next rain which is not expected at all until Wednesday.

Let’s hope that there is not the “knee jerk” reaction after the events at the Jim Clark Rally.

Have a nice day, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I should now get on with my spaniel related activities instead of admiring Tillie's photos. Robbie has been very good (sitting looking at me through a wrought iron gate) while I have cut the front lawn and washed Aditi's car. The sun has now disappeared behind thick cloud so probably time to go to the park. 

I haven't heard from Matthew this morning. He went on the train to Newark yesterday to help with canvassing for the by-election. 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Another beautiful day here clear Sunny day, 75f expected. What a pity that Cricket is not more popular here? 

Pete

they play T20 in Florida I am lead to believe. And there are some team near you .. I will see if I can find some more info...

perhaps http://newyorkcricket.com/ could help to locate some??

Meanwhile ..

lawns mown and edged, one hedge cut.. her indoors has instructed that the BBQ will be in operation.. so I'd best go and sort it out.....

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Baz, Yes I know! What I meant by “more popular” was having decent Test Series and Pro Leagues! Can you imagine something like “Yorkshire vs Arizona”?

Best, Pete.

I can guess who will win...

There was some talk of some T20s in the US with Test match countries..

I am off with her indoors to see if Herbert can do some bowling .. he was asked to play for the league this afternoon at 9:30 this morning having been at work till 4am.... He says he batted OK (30 odd out of 110) but it depends on if they let him bowl .... Heaven help if they don't as he gets a tad upset...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Evenin all

A busy weekend - albeit much of it spent on my backside, today having my eardrums bashed. Not a drop of rain in all three days, so that's good, and I'm convinced there are more spectators every year for the test day. Toyota seem to have come out on top, but it's only bragging rights, of course. And the new Porsches are right there on pace, so that's good. With three teams genuinely in the hunt, this year's race may be a corker. Yes, Jock, I do see quite bit of the race, sort of kipping in the car for a couple of uncomfortable small hours on Sunday morning. When Deb was with me we would have a tent set up on one of the official campsites, but TBH I hated the noisy neighbours, many of whom are partying rather than watching the race, so I didn't sleep much there either! Part of the art is to come back into the grandstand bleary eyed after dawn on Sunday and try to see which cars have succumbed during the night.

I'm not well-informed on the rally tragedy, but share the view that controlling people in such circs is very difficult. We enjoyed watching a rally through Bedgebury Forest in Kent when we lived close by, and the stupidity of a minority, despite the best efforts of stewards, took some believing.

• Like 5

Robbie "helping" in the garden. Plantpot killed. Strawberries eaten. Assume innocent look!

attachicon.gifrobbie in garden.jpg

Tony,

Tillie may only be twelve weeks old but she's following in his paw tracks!

Holly was a blue roan, a lovely colour but we decided to have a different colour this time.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Tillie may only be twelve weeks old but she's following in his paw tracks!

Holly was a blue roan, a lovely colour but we decided to have a different colour this time.

Regards,

Dave

Robbie looks a bit podgy in my photo but he is quite slim really. Until he was about six months old he was very black and white rather the the marbled blue roan look, however we were told he would look just like his mother. His father was gingery orange. Sometimes you can see some brownish hair in Robbie's coat especially when he is in full sunlight. However he usually looks like a swamp monster after a walk so no chance of delicate colour appearing.

• Like 5

Pete, the first international cricket match was in 1840 between the Toronto Cricket Club and the St. Georges Cricket Club of New York. The New York side won by 10 wickets.

And Teddy Roosevelt (my favourite President) was a big fan. He bought in a coach from England to get his batting and bowling up to speed. The guy’s name escapes me....

Best, Pete.

It would seem that most ER's have had an enjoyable w/e. I particularly enjoyed the doggy pictures.

I offer photos of our bluebells and laburnum and a couple of the paved drive, mentioned some pages earlier.

post-10142-0-20659000-1401653690_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-63450400-1401653701_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-01770900-1401653713_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-66762600-1401653722_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Personally I have been working hard all weekend what with gardening (who do you think rakes up the Stationmaster's grass cuttings?), slaving for my employer and Institute of Seamanship journal editorial duties (fortunately my co-editor is an expert seaman and the readership are a tolerant lot who haven't seen fit to return their copies dripping in red ink).

There's a TT documentary on ITV4 at 10 for those who are interested - ISTR that it's been on before and is rather good.

• Like 4

And so the weekend, and with it the half term holiday, is almost at an end. A very warm day today started with a game football played in sweltering conditions - no air conditioning in the sports centre. Our scheduled opposition didn't turn up so we were left with a friendly. No wonder the team could not raise their game and we ended up beaten 7-3 by a team from the higher division.

Another call from the security guard at Asda today asking if I had reported yesterday's incident. He is certainly persistent. At least I could tell him today that I had reported it. A little financial boost came my way today too. One of my footballing team mates presented me with £60 which was my prize for finishing second in our club's fantasy football league contest. Now - do I use this to replace the lost money or save it to treat myself with at the Bakewell Model Railway show next weekend. A dilemma!!!

We visited the new house today. No progress since the last visit but there does seem so little left to do. The kitchen still requires an oven, hob and extractor hood and all rooms need their carpet / flooring! It is so near yet so far. The box packing is continuing aided by some more purchases from a local branch of "Home Bargains".

As always we were at my in-laws for Sunday lunch. The bonus was the chance to run my recently purchased "Duke of Gloucester" model on my father in laws Track Mat layout. A steady spell of running on the inner circuit with three Hornby teaks in tow was a decent work out for the loco. On the outer circuit my father in law had his recently purchased Railroad 9F "Cock of the North" running in on a 15 wagon freight. Who says visiting the in-laws is hard work?

Hope everyone had a good day.

• Like 1

Have you reported the loss to your bank Andy? They might put the money back into your account being as it has been stolen rather than mislaid.

I have not reported it to the bank as they are dealing with my other incident from earlier in the month so I don't want to push my luck.

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Premium

Sorry been really busy so no photos sorted yet so these are uncropped or otherwise sorted.

post-10195-0-25635300-1401657503_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-54639300-1401657525_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-21264900-1401657542_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-00984600-1401657559_thumb.jpg

There was a parade lap today for the racer Simon Andrews who was killed racing in Ireland.  It took 20 minutes to pass us, and was estimated at 10 miles long by police colleagues - really quite something when you see just how many bikes there are here.

post-10195-0-94024500-1401657604_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Not exactly a brilliant day today.  SWMBO decide we should walk up Ben Lomond (approx 3200 feet).  Going up was fine and warm, but hard work.  Then the mist and wind came in just as we arrived on top, so decided not to eat our lunch as it went very cold - big mistake!  Half way down I started to feel unwell and had to stop for a drink and the lunch as I felt awful.  Then SWMBO says she feels dizzy and promptly slips off the rock she was sitting on, probably due to low blood sugar.  After eating and drinking we both felt a bit better and continued to the car park, but which time I was awful again.  More water and food and after 3/4 hour I was able to drive back to our apartment.  Now both fine again, and have learned a lesson - dont try to do too much if you arent fit enough!

Hotel car park was full of Ferraris - I must have captured about 30 in photos - most upload and post a couple.  Beautiful machines.

Simon, it might have been more than (just) fitness - you could have been suffering from exposure as well. I was in a group of fit 14/15 year old schoolkids, dressed for much warmer weather, who got caught in much the same conditions on top of Ben Lomond. Looking back some years later, I realised that most of us had been suffering from exposure by the time we got down and warmed up. Three of us who shared a sandwich given to us by a teacher had been unable to come up with the name of the sandwich filling - cheese!

Edited by pH

Simon  - Glad you made it down successfully. You highlighted crucial problems, add disorientation to your list. Also a little understood effect of “feedback” between two or more people experiencing similar symptoms at the same time.

Be careful out there!

"Woof Walk”went well. I was responsible for a T Junction on our main street which leads up into the Watchung Mountains - due to their "twisty bits" is popular with local Bikers. Beautiful day equalled plenty of bikers. I have to say that twenty or so Harley’s thundering past at once is a totally visceral experience. They were also the most attentive to my direction (being probably made up of Accountants/Lawyers or retired same)!!! Car drivers the worse.....

Surprised that the best sounding non-Harley was an incredible totally chromed Honda Fury...

I was hoping that I could get photos of the latest “Stealth” Police cars in our dept - but they were all put away for the day, alas...

Hope you all had a good weekend, the Sun is still shining through my window.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

Good evening, Knackered of Clacton wishing you a good night as he sets about downing the bedtime nip! Got quite a few of the chores ticked off today but instead of 'well done', the phrase that sprang to Joanna's lips was - 'the new fence panels make the rest shabby, have we got enough stain to bring them into line?' Bu**er!!

Neil, great shots as ever and the weather does look lovely - will you be able to take in all the weeks races? Ian, aren't those diesels remarkable - even our little 1600, 92HP Citroen gets off the mark like a scalded cat and still returns well over 50MPG, not withstanding the fact that SWMBO does lots of short trips.

Blood test pre Thursdays next oncology appointment in the morning so will probably post a bit late. Hope Monday isn't too painful for those that are lucky enough to be going to work!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Earlier than expected on parade on this Monday morning. The alarm is set for 6am but I was awoken at 4.50am by a strange and quite load buzzing sound. Upon investigation it is coming from the fridge freezer almost as if the motor or something is on the way out. Just great!  It seems cold enough at present so I don't think it has failed yet but it will obviously, at the very least, need looking at. Luckily enough my father in law is a fridge engineer so I will encourage Sarah to give him a call later and hope it does not need replacing.

The early morning has not exactly left me very awake and alert for the day ahead. A full day's teaching followed by a staff meeting beckons. I will also have to start raiding the school's photo archive today to collect the items I need for the photo book I have been asked to produce as part of the head teacher's leaving gift.

Not the most encouraging dawn to the final half term of the school year. Hope you have a good day.