The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Too much to try and catch up on and reply to having been away for a few days, so agrees/likes/friendlies to all as appropriate, although the one area I would express my disgust at is the way Tony S's Aditi has been treated.

Better out than in is what I say in cases like that.

As far as taking redundancy is concerned, when the Army announced 'Options for Change' back in the early 90's, I don't think they anticipated the stampede that took place for voluntary redundancy.  Even so, although they could have selected purely from the volunteers, there were certain individuals who got compulsory redundancy, and volunteers who were disappointed.

The redundancy payment worked out at just under two years salary, which did include various grants etc, but the 'exceptional circumstances' meant that this sum was tax free, so for a few weeks, until I bought our house, we were well orf! 

After helping to run the  air rifle range for the country fair at Highclere over the bank holiday weekend, we spent a day with our daughter who has decided to marry on 01 Aug 14.  The venue etc is booked, but it is now all hands to the pump, to get the admin sorted out.

I would have liked to have started on this yesterday, but a group of us had been invited to a tour of the BSA factory in B'ham to look at their manufacturing  line.  We were also given information on minor repairs that can be carried out 'in the field' which saves having to return guns to the factory if something goes wrong.  It was a most interesting day and the production process was a mixture of old fashioned and high tech. The work force are very motivated and obviously take a pride in their work, I suspect because they build a complete gun from the stock up, rather than just mindlessly sitting at a bench  endlessly assembling just one or two components.

Elsa is currently snoring at the top of the stairs, so my extended admin session will now commence.

• Like 3

I have a BSA (bought new) .22 which has been used at similar festivities.

Unfortunately it now needs a new spring as the power had dropped off markedly and wasn't that good to start with.

That is after just 200 shots.

Good morning all,

Great clip Debs though it reminded me, as a Python fan, of the journey I had to make to see 'The Life of Brian'. Would you believe that it was banned in Cornwall at release (where I lived at that time) and we had to take the train to Plymouth to see it - the enlightened 70's? The only disappointment was that I laughed so much that I missed quite a few sections although I've now watched the video/DVD often enough to fill in any gaps!

Had a lovely surprise yesterday when I received a card from one of my old disabled clients who had only just been told of my illness. I have always admired this lady and now try to emulate her fortitude and courage as I observed her being progressively stricken by MS. Luckily, I was able to help her with a specially converted Citroen Grand Picasso which had hand controls and an electric hoist on board to allow her independence with a mobility scooter. She still takes her dogs for a walk along the sea front daily, riding the buggy while they trot alongside! It was very touching to feel her concern, and that of her husband, for me whilst battling that most disabling of diseases. On that note, I'd like to wish Mrs 'B' well and hope that the IKEA experience takes her mind off the pain. I have discovered over the last year Mick, that the control of the pain is central to coping with any problem - it is difficult to function on any level whilst in agony.

Got my 'Great British Locomotives' Black5 from Smiths yesterday - it isn't bad for the money and, with some work will make a nice static exhibit when I finally start on my modelling!

Hope your day is stress free,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Yesterday turned into a genuine wet day, showers seemed to be pretty continuous, with heavier downpours at times. Today is a little more cheerful, was quite nice first thing.

Not much to report otherwise, and France is on holiday for Ascension Day, I think.

Hope your week progressing ok.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bit of a grey day but that seems hardly unusual at the moment, and rain showers promised for this afternoon - at around about the time I'm due at the Surgery for my 'diabetes review', which will no doubt cover other areas especially when I ask for a different statin which allegedly does not cause the various muscle problems (in me) which all the others seem to.  What it is to be 'of mature years', ah well I was paying in NI and am still paying Income Tax so why should the NHS worry?

Richard (HH)'s tale of 'resettlement' from the militia is, I think, typical of the way the money can work out in organisations where the Govt is keen to reduce numbers.  At one time BR had the advantage of a special subsidy to enhance redundancy cash - although no tax advantages - by virtue of being paid for every occasion on which they achieved a net reduction of staff while still doing the same end job and my mother got enhanced pension terms (like a full pension without getting the years in) when she retired early from teaching back in the early 1970s.  Those days are I suspect past for all except those in the state sectors where Govt is still keen to reduce staff numbers although I have heard lately that Network Rail still have a very good voluntary redundancy offer but they are choosy about who they allow to go.

Ah well enough about things like that and back to today, when I shall be studying a few auction lots containing railway postcards to see if they're worth making a bid on (LNER paddle steamers and Clyde paddlers, Caley official issues, and a very mixed lot which includes a good view of Dawlish Warren station in double track days - possibly very desirable but bids will no doubt rise to reflect the desirability) and no doubt doing a spot of lot sorting as well.  But all that will be after I've renewed my vacuum cleaning proficiency certificate.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have a BSA (bought new) .22 which has been used at similar festivities.

Unfortunately it now needs a new spring as the power had dropped off markedly and wasn't that good to start with.

That is after just 200 shots.

A spring on an air rifle shouldn't give out like that, maybe after 20000 shots, but certainly not after 200.

I suppose the questions are:

Which BSA air rifle is it?

When did you buy it?

From whom?

For quite a few years, the BSA spring guns have all been assembled by the parent company, Gamo, who are based in Spain.  I will say no more on that subject.

If you would like, the next time I am passing through your neck of the woods, I can bring my chronograph along and we can test the power output of your rifle.

This would give some idea of where the problem lies, as it may not be the spring, but a seal which has failed1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sitting with a coffee waiting for the car to be serviced. At least there's no worry over whether it passes or not. It's not due an mot for a couple of years yet.

I sort of moaned about going in over half term to do revision classes but that was just a temporary 'just out of bed' type of regret. Once there it was most worthwhile with the pupils really keen and appreciative. As it was likely to be our last full session together there were class photos and goodbyes.

I was given some very nice thank you cards. Two remarks that stuck out were 'Thank you for believing in me over the years' and 'you are the reason I have achieved so much' There are many downsides to teaching these days but it only takes a few instances like this to make the whole thing enjoyable and rewarding. There's no feeling quite like it.

Sorry for going on but I just felt the need to share this.

Edit: the whole thing posted twice. That really would be going on about it.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 17

Hello from the damp SW!

Andy: try Wilko's for plastic boxes, if you have a branch nearby.

I had an early start to drop off O/H's Volvo to have the air con checked (again!). Not that we need to use it here but we're hoping for warmer temperatures when we return to France next month.

Last night, I noticed our neighbour was out with his shotgun; the previous evening we'd heard some dreadful screaming as if two animals were fighting. I thought foxes but when they chased each other through our garden, O/H thought they were badgers. In any case, it was a disturbingly eerie sound. Our neighbour keeps chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs and Shetland ponies so he would not be happy for any of them to become supper for Mr. Fox!

Hope the sun puts in an appearance before the school half term holiday ends! Such a shame for the children and the staff.

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Gold

There are many downsides to teaching these days but it only takes a few instances like this to make the whole thing enjoyable and rewarding. There's no feeling quite like it.

A nice comment from a student can make up for all kinds of other stuff. I also think that most (with some spectacular exceptions) turn out quite well too despite what we may think of them during their school career.

Matthew struggled to achieve academically at secondary school but one teacher (economics) persuaded the options choice staff to allow him to study it at GCSE even though his maths and English grades were not good enough. The encouragement from that teacher made up for the "negativity" expressed elsewhere.

Tony

• Like 5

Hello from the damp SW!

Andy: try Wilko's for plastic boxes, if you have a branch nearby.

I had an early start to drop off O/H's Volvo to have the air con checked (again!). Not that we need to use it here but we're hoping for warmer temperatures when we return to France next month.

Last night, I noticed our neighbour was out with his shotgun; the previous evening we'd heard some dreadful screaming as if two animals were fighting. I thought foxes but when they chased each other through our garden, O/H thought they were badgers. In any case, it was a disturbingly eerie sound. Our neighbour keeps chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs and Shetland ponies so he would not be happy for any of them to become supper for Mr. Fox!

Hope the sun puts in an appearance before the school half term holiday ends! Such a shame for the children and the staff.

Sherry, Probably rabbits being killed - they make a terrible screaming noise.....

Sorry that the UK is still wet. We actually need some rain as the grass has gone “crunchy”, already.

Local Met people warned of 1.5 inches last Monday. We got nothing and 90f temps instead. 

Mid 70’s for this upcoming weekend.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Hello from the damp SW!

Badgers

I don't think I have heard badger vocals but there are a lot in Benfleet. We used to get them raiding bins at our old house, here they just smash fences!

Fox screaming is quite impressive, though they are more often seen than heard here. They used to sunbathe in our garden until 10 years ago but the presence of Robbie seems to deter them.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Could be fox screaming - certainly quite a blood curdling noise and not really like the noise you'd expect from a fox as it's rather high pitched.  It seems to be worse round here when a couple of them are getting things together if you know what I mean but I would have thought it might be a bit late in the year for that. 

• RMweb Gold

My father said he was convinced the coughing noises he heard one dark misty night on sentry duty were human. As this was during the early 1940s he said the sheep responsible was very close to being shot.

• Like 1

Good luck with your review this afternoon Mike. Joanna (aka SWMBO!) has had to have her statin dose reduced by 50% recently which has relieved the muscle pain she was experiencing.

It would appear that perseverance is the key! She often wonders, of course, if the ageing process is confusing the issue. I hope you get a sympathetic ear - luckily our GP seems

to know a bit about the subject.

Keep us posted, no-one should have to live in pain.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Teaching these days seems much more demanding than it did when I was the pupil, albeit at a Surrey Grammar Skool where the vast majority actually wanted to succeed - which must help. So telling us you've had a nice experience due to grateful pupils, and that that makes life worthwhile, is by no means tedious to me.

This is ERs. Adults recounting the good and the bad in their daily life. A great place to do so.

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors now awaiting a phone call from the garage. she went to visit eldest Herbert in Dull then the plan was to visit her brother in Grimsby for fish and chips at Steels in Cleethorpes... she made it to the end of the M62 when the clutch went... The AA man was their to pick her and the car up in under 30 minutes... no news from garage yet....

Still raining - my game for tomorrow is already off .. despite Ray Illingworth's sun dance at Farsley CC it is Too Bl22dy wet! So Pete - I shall send you some rain from here by PM.. get ready with a large bucket to catch it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just a quick visit and an apology for the prolonged absence from RMWeb, and ERs in particular, due to serious pressure on the computer (and myself) for other matters.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Jock, there was just one splishy-splashy lap last night then a red flag as there was an incident at Barregarroo with a rider hurt.  (Pro. B'garrow by the way!).  Then the rain really fell so the session was abandoned.

Ah, the difference a good teacher makes - I sufffered with several really bad ones, luck of the draw, and a couple of really good ones who produced good results from me.  Less said the better about the other results.

Dry with a heavy overcast here today, with improvement predicted later so practice should be OK.  Worth a look on ITV4 in the evening by the way, if anyone is interested in the goings on with motorbikes on Fraggle Rock.

Great morning here, also BIN day, only rubbish  garbage this week, recycle is every other week, so it's a ONE-BIN-DAY rather than two :)

Taking today off, friends have 4 tickets to the TWINS noon game (baseball) so Mrs and I will join them for a very pleasant few hours watching others "work".

It's 18 heading for 28 clear and very nice, so far not supposed to be humid, so should be very comfortable all day.

<RANT>

Sent an email to a UK eBay seller, inquiring about shipping for an item to the US, should I win.

Response was and I quote "Many thanks for your interest in the loco, unfortunately enquiries have found that the cost would be prohibitive and cost more than the loco so no can do ", what sort of bum-wipe can even write such outright lies, rather than simply saying he won't do it!

It's not a cheap piece of crap I'm interested in, it's a MIB Hornby rebuilt WC, so it's likely to go for a 100 quid or more, already at 82 quid! "cost more than the loco" what total bu**lls**it! I feel like pushing to bidding up and up and up then telling him I don't want it so he has to relist the damned thing!!!

<END RANT>

Teaching these days seems much more demanding than it did when I was the pupil, albeit at a Surrey Grammar Skool where the vast majority actually wanted to succeed - which must help. So telling us you've had a nice experience due to grateful pupils, and that that makes life worthwhile, is by no means tedious to me.

This is ERs. Adults recounting the good and the bad in their daily life. A great place to do so.

Where was that then Ian? I was at a "Surrey Grammar.." also, Rydens in Walton-on-Thames (admittedly also a comprehensive "stream" not pure Grammar), but it was there or Tiffins in Kingston and decided an all boys skool wasn't my preference, plus Rydens was an easier "commute", since I could both bike and bus easily  :)

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Saw it last night Neil . . .they said it was a Belgian chap who was injured. . . has there been any news?

Broken limb I heard, can't recall which end of the body though.  I'm not at work so not getting the details I normally would.  Hailwood's Rise crash was nasty yesterday though, one airlifted to UK hospital quite poorly.  Visitors though, not racers......but think they are..... two bikes and a car involved too so but don't do speculation as to the cause, it's not helpful to the investigation.

Aside from the front pipe, intermediate resonator, middle pipe, hangars and rear muffler: my Peugeot`s exhaust system is totally original! :laugh:

Our trip out in the pup-mobile this morning was accompanied by the sight of small children hiding behind their mother`s skirts and young boys pointing and laughing; such was the risible rasp from `neath our Pup-Pug :blush: ...........The only part of its exhaust path not replaced at the motor-garage last month, has now become stentorian; its 'steel' {sic} looks like fromage suisse! :resent:

• RMweb Gold

I have a mental image of Brer-Brock, laying supine in your garden lounger, whilst wearing Speedos and sipping earthworm juice! :mosking:

It was Brer Fox who sunbathed in our garden. The various positions adopted  looked like those used by people trying to tan bits not normally exposed to sunlight.