The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thank you Andrew, nicely put. Of course there were those who said it would never last; perhaps they were right. We shall wait and see.

you never know. It would have been 31 years but I opted to upgrade to spouse v2.0 19 years ago. 1.0 and I are still friends but couldn't live together.

How did you get that past the censor?  That's possibly the one place in the world that's normally blanked out.  Probably for the best if you've been there…. :D

Exactly.

Best wishes to avoid Scunthorpe, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Just stretching out on the beach at Lake Cospuden after a bike ride through the city and around the lake proper. On the way, I caught some impressions of wildlife at the game reserves in Leipzig's riparian forests and west of the lake:

mobile.1924pukv.jpg

mobile.19348jtd.jpg

Wild boars with offspring having a refreshing mud bath.

mobile.194pwp6x.jpg

mobile.195dksbr.jpg

Buffalo buffalo buffalo!

• Like 10

Mike, as an ex-employee of Bibby Line I can assure you the funnel in your painting is wrong I'm afraid - it should be pink not red with a black top.  I served on a later Staffordshire at one time!

It only looks red against the new pink wall.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

We have returned - from Railex.  And it was, I think, an even better show that its normal very high standard - not a single duff layout on display and virtually all of them having some sort of wow! factor, hard luck those who missed the show (alas no pics from).  A really good day out started by a nice drive in good weather although some flooded bits of road enroute and an excellent breakfast which included some very yummy tinned tomatoes, the only let down on the morning catering front is the rather poor tea.  Then, among a multitude, of RMweb who had started to get together at breakfast in we went and met even more, and probably yet more of them who I didn't happen to know.

Early arrival gave a good opportunity to quickly get round the various layouts before the crowds developed but I fairly soon got involved in doing a bit of operating (as Signalman) on one so that idea didn't entirely work out but we gradually got to see the lot,  Good trade support too which enabled me to get one or two items I knew I needed plus finding a rather good airbrush on Eileen's Emporium which, for once, I found I could get on with so one( plus compressor etc) was duly purchased but as they were out of stock of the airbrush itself it will arrive by post in the not too distant future.  Add in a nice photo album of the Paddington - Bristol 'through the years' and came together as a good day at the show.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Staying in a hotel on Mull about 25 years ago, I think the favourite was "the one under the clock" on their shelf, pronounced something like "boona haben". My knowledge of Gaelic is about as comprehensive as my knowledge of Mandarin Chinese. [Funnily enough the BR manager in charge of the WCML franchise before it was let to Virgin was indeed fluent in that Oriental language - but he was a good bit brighter than me!]

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Due to a problem with my sense of smell I can confuse aromas. I can confuse onions and the smell they put in the gas. Flowery scents have to be quite strong for me to notice. Unfortunately the peaty malts smell rather similar to sweaty socks or old boots to me so I'm not likely to favour those.

• RMweb Premium

Pete

one of these?

http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.aspx/en-GB/1000573-morillo-henry-iii-style-hurdy-gurdy

Her indoors isn't particularly keen on the Hurdy Gurdy...  BUT she is from Grimsby and all I can say is jokes about Grimberians tend to get her a tad annoyed... so careful! 

best regards

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Staying in a hotel on Mull about 25 years ago, I think the favourite was "the one under the clock" on their shelf, pronounced something like "boona haben".

Ah, Bunnahabhain, which is much easier to drink than it is to spell or say.

Dom, like all of these things, one person's favourite may be another's poison. For example, I've always thought Glenfiddich highly overrated. Favourites vary over time and circumstance and even with different expressions of the same malt. For a light dram I very much like Glen Scotia, if you like Laphroig you might like to try Caol ila. My particular favourites at the moment are certain Ardbegs, Balvenie Doublewood and a Macallan although I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Yesterday, as I mentioned, I spent a day on the fens, and, as predicted, it pis rained VERY heavily for most of the day so I went home early - after only 11 hours, because I'd cut the day short I stopped off at Shippea Hill on the way home, to photograph a pair of 31s - rude not to.

Spent today photographing a few trains this morning, then shopping, eating and then trying to sort something out for our wedding, with limited success at the moment.

Belated Happy Birthday to SC.

Have a good day all.

• Like 4

Just back from a fab day at Brands Hatch, a full day of Historic racing, two F1 races, a Grand Prix race with a  1934 Maser, a GT race with no less than five Lola T70s plus lots and lots of other delicious machinery, including the Bizzerina we saw at the Le Mans Classic last year.

Very hot and sunny, I'm now burnt crispy.

A nice touch was a tribute to Jack Brabham, including a cavalcade of Brabham cars including the 1966 car I saw win the GP on the same track. Quite moving.

All in all a great day, and paid at the OAP discount price!

• Like 7

Very, VERY late on parade here... you lot are probably mostly in bed already ;)

Yesterday we decided to stay home, Mrs headache and light fever got somewhat worse throughout the day, so was the best decision. I plodded on with the kitchen details, and in the evening managed a little modelling but was too tired to do much <sigh>

Mrs definately "improving" today, but we decided home is a better base for recovering from any form of "ewww", so we did just that. She's improved enough to participate in some of the kitchen details, and we took a trip out to the National Cemetery here to visit her dad. Nice that it's right by the airport and just a 15 minute ride from us, she was very close to her dad.

So - BIG problems here as Bob (the cat for those who are sensible and don't remember such insigifica!!)  is in serious trouble with one of the "neighbors"...

He loves to lay out on the screen porch at the back of the house and for the past few days, the neighbor below has been complaining VERY LOUDY every time he ventures out there!

Here's the neighbor looking QUITE unhappy...

post-20244-0-46332600-1401053341.jpg

and another view with him eyeing Bob who is barely 4 feet away on the porch (screen separates them), Bob just lays there taunting...

post-20244-0-40985600-1401053342.jpg

This is a male Northern Cardinal - and he isn't about to budge even though I'm outside and about 10 feet from him taking the pictures!

We had a similar issue last year, Cardinals don't migrate so are here year round, it may well be the same pair. They have nested in one of our large shrubs (stands over 7 ft. tall now and is about the same in diameter) just at the corner of the porch, so we checked and sure enough there's another nest there this year.

The female is attending the nest, been there all day as we come and go. Quite a nice treat to see them so close up.

Off to start the barbecue as our son is coming over for dinner, brats and burgers probably, typical Memorial weekend fare, and yummy :)

Enjoy your Bank Holiday - we're staying put so Mrs can recover fully. I may well get a decent amount of modelling done tomorrow, here's hoping :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 60's my dad was a controller at Kings Cross coach station. One Christmas the MD of a holiday company that they provided coach services for handed out bottles of Scotch whisky to my father and his colleagues as a thank you. My father glanced at the label and as it was a brand he did not recognise put it aside to give out as tots to the milkman, bin men etc. About a week later the insurance man made his monthly call and remarked that "This is a really good drop of Scotch." my dad looked closely at the label to find it was a 15 year old single malt. As he really liked his whisky he was almost in tears, there was only about a third left.

Well I was kitted up and ready to go to football this morning when Sarah finds another large area of damp in the bungalow and got herself into a state. So I had to give the game a miss after all and spent the morning moving more stuff around to try and protect it.

Amber was due at a birthday party this afternoon. Still pig sick over yesterday's result I was not looking forward to an afternoon spent at the soft play centre. It seemed Amber didn't fancy it either as she decided to be sick all over me just as we walked across the car park! I do start to wonder what can go wrong next!

Earlier in the day we did go and check on progress at the house. Not a lot seems to have been done in the last few days. We did at least get to meet our soon to be neighbours who had moved into their house yesterday. They seem a nice young couple. She is a teacher too, and teachers the same year group as myself and they have a daughter a similar age to Amber so that is a positive.

The day ended with police activity on the neighbouring street. Two police cars have been parked outside one house for quite a while with a lot of coming and going between there and the house next door but one. Intriguing!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Bunnahabhain, which is much easier to drink than it is to spell or say.

Dom, like all of these things, one person's favourite may be another's poison. For example, I've always thought Glenfiddich highly overrated. Favourites vary over time and circumstance and even with different expressions of the same malt. For a light dram I very much like Glen Scotia, if you like Laphroig you might like to try Caol ila. My particular favourites at the moment are certain Ardbegs, Balvenie Doublewood and a Macallan although I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

I enjoy The Macallan but at the moment the special one is  a cask strength GlenGoyne purchased on a trip round the distillery last year.  It's the first cask strength I've tasted and it's lovely.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Hi guys, sorry not been about much but got a job and have been really busy! I'm a commercial manager for a telecoms/ ICT company! A complete change from what I'm used to and so much to learn, but I'm getting there, slowly! The only downside is the 1.5 hour commute each way every day, however I'm working and that's the main thing! Thanks to you all for your support during the days of rejection after rejection! Anyhoo, enjoy the bank holiday tomorrow folks!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Blimey - it's morning already!

Guests just left after splendid afternoon & evening in the garden. BBQ ( I can mention it now 'cos weather stayed fine) went brilliantly and a good time was had by all. Even had a little running session on my layout that was requested by a friend who I'd  thought had absolutely no interest in trains but possibly is now changing his mind!

Bit miffed that I didn't get to Railex but never mind - I'll try for next year.

Time for bed I think,

Slightly pickled of Sutton.

• Like 6