The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I came upon the image presented without an explanation; so one may only imagine the entrained-scenario, or indeed the daft ha`p`orth that caused it!

Do you think 'slipping to a stand' is more likely the cause, than 'slip upon starting'? :scratchhead:

I think it was a result of a train being overpowered and the oik driving it didn't pay very much attention to what was happening.  several such things have appeared on the 'net over the years but one which didn't make it (unless you know different?) was a Eurostar which arrived at Waterloo with a pair of wheels which had developed flanges on both sides of the rail head due to the axle having ceased to rotate and which neither the train's software nor anything/anyone lineside had detected; yet another software upgrade.

I think it was a result of a train being overpowered and the oik driving it didn't pay very much attention to what was happening.  several such things have appeared on the 'net over the years but one which didn't make it (unless you know different?) was a Eurostar which arrived at Waterloo with a pair of wheels which had developed flanges on both sides of the rail head due to the axle having ceased to rotate and which neither the train's software nor anything/anyone lineside had detected; yet another software upgrade.

I seem to recall this it was caused by the 4th loco in a train of 5 going haywire at a halt.. Wood ties imply a “loop” or secondary line. It’s definitely from the USA... If I find out more I’ll post.

S(tuff) happens as they say over here.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Came away rather deflated after my lesson today which didn't work out at all. Currently calming my nerves with some biscuits and music – including this song:

• RMweb Premium

1216 025.. stay calm - it happens to us all!

That "worn" rail reminded me of the Duchess slipping on the S&C - Driver put regulator through thr roof to give a good photo shot... then the regulator stuck.....oooh nasty!

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - plans for the upcoming three days already altered (and I bet they will change again) so now I shall be spending the larger part of tomorrow afternoon having a footplate trip on 'River Irt' instead of sitting in someone's stuffy office all afternoon.  At this rate i can foresee another 'diplomatic' footplate trip being arranged for Wednesday - ah well, I suppose someone has to do it :sungum:  :angel:  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Oooh, hard life! 

We had some folk from the Ratty at Groudle on Sunday - they were commenting on how smart we were, unlike their own station and guarding staff....oh dear. C'mon Trevor, you can do better than that.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Stationmaster.. if you get bored you could always get the train to Barrrroooow... (Duke of Edinburgh does good beer opposite the railway station car park or 

go to Foxfield (where the Coniston branch joined the main line... opposite the station is the Prince of Wales - but its not open on Monday or Tuesday .. open at 2:45 on Wednesday and does excellent real ale and fantastic pasties (be prepared to wait for these as each one is hand crafted..)

• RMweb Premium

Oh, update on my young colleague before I forget - she is much better and beginning to recover from a rather uncomfortable operation.  All was fine until she announced she was going to physiotherapy tomorrow for her jaw......well, as she hadn't stopped talking for an hour and a half we fell over laughing!  Of course that brought on killer looks and some scything comments about our abilities as managers and colleagues.  She should be on the stage, honestly she is so observant and funny.  I pity her husband a bit though, but he's a nice lad too.

Why can't all people be so nice? 

• Like 7

Late on duty today and its been a long one. In school at 8am and not away again until 8.30pm. A full 12 and a half hour day, and that is before I completed the planning for tomorrow which added another hour to my day. Who says teachers do not work for a living???

Today was parents evening. It seemed to go ok, although there were a couple who just wanted to moan and nothing you ever do is good enough. As I was out before Amber woke up, and home after she went to bed I have not seen my daughter all day. A staff meeting called for after school tomorrow so another late finish beckons!

• RMweb Gold

Btw anyone having trouble editing any previous post?

Cheers, Pete.

No. I have just edited an earlier post as a test and it is fine. I'll try it on a Mac tomorrow for you if no-one has by then.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I'd avoid cabin 9205, we were in 9204 last night and the chap next door (like many) obviously wasn't enjoying the rough crossing!  :bad:

I tried to keep his spirits up by whistling "A life on the ocean wave..." but it seemed to make matters worse!

Andy

I'd avoid cabin 9205, we were in 9204 last night and the chap next door (like many) obviously wasn't enjoying the rough crossing!  :bad:

I tried to keep his spirits up by whistling "A life on the ocean wave..." but it seemed to make matters worse!

Andy

As well as a 'Groan' button we could do with a 'You rotten bastard' one it seems.  :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2

Late good evening, deep joy in the household, welcoming a beautiful new creature in to the world - what a great excuse the 'head - wetting' ceremony is. We are going to play tomorrow so I may be able to sneak in another celebration! My only concern is what kind of world has she stepped into : I often despair of our legacy!!

No trouble with editing earlier Pete, but there may be some issues as I had a couple of 'slow moments' on changing threads.

Still no word from SA which is a bit of a worry?

Make sure you don't overdo it on return John, no doubt your medic has said as much but don't forget - when your body 'speaks', listen!!

Sounds like despite the countdown there are elements you are going to miss Neil. For me it was the dialogue with all the people I dealt with each week as well as your colleagues - I would have gone on to 70+ if illness hadn't struck!

Have a good Tuesday folks,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, hard life! 

We had some folk from the Ratty at Groudle on Sunday - they were commenting on how smart we were, unlike their own station and guarding staff....oh dear. C'mon Trevor, you can do better than that.....

I will see over the next couple of days if he can.  I think my little list for tomorrow might have caused him to 'remember' an important meeting, ah well that gives me more time on Wednesday, and the list is already growing; just added 'uniforms' ;)

• Like 1

Gawd, has anyone else plowed through the thread on Inkscape? I think I’d be dead before I mastered it and then you have to learn how to use the Sihloulette cutter.....I can’t even spell it...

Goodnight everybody.

Best, Pete.

Good morning!

Safely back home after a reasonable journey apart from a tail back on the A380 near Teignmouth, caused by road works and an accident (minor) at Ashcombe Cross (I wasn't!)

Our drive looks smart, having been block paved in our absence. A big improvement on the worn Tarmac that it has replaced.

It looks as if ER has continued on its mellow way and it's good to be back on here regularly. Less appealing is the tedium of domesticity that follows a holiday!

Have a good day!

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,,

Fresh start but dry after wet night however more showers possibly heavy with some sunny intervals are forecast.

Mrs GB aka The Boss has been deposited at work but may have to get the bus home as I'm waiting for a couple of parcels today. One should contain  a replacement shower head holder which disintegrated beyond repair yesterday (whilst I was trying to fix it!) and the other is from Liverpool with a couple of their "own brand" decoders.

I'm also trying to decide whether or not to stay overnight for the RMweb Live event in September (and where to stay for that matter) having been surprisingly given an overnight pass!

Decisions, decisions........

Have a good one,

Bob.

Morning All,

It is another bright morning here, but quite chilly.

Dominik - don't worry.  These things happen.  However, the chances are that the students didn't notice - and even if they did, you are only human.

The "worn" rail was amazing.  Reminds me of a video I saw of a Western (Champion, I think) trying to start a heavy train on one engine.  I posted it here a couple of years ago, but it started a bit of a flame war (not in ERs, I hasten to add).

Anyway - time for a coffee!  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Morning all. It is nice and sunny here in Derby, hopefully that will continue throughout the day. All not sunny in this household though.

Up and feeling tired after a 12 and a half hour day at work yesterday, out before my daughter awoke and back home after she went to bed. Apart from a brief hug with her at 11pm when she briefly woke up having lost her dummy I did not see her all day. You would think that there would be a level of understanding from the other half, sadly not on this occasion. All I got was a constant moan about how late home I was and how it "wasn't fair". Not even a how did the parent's evening go comment!

I wouldn't mind, but my late finish wasn't even my fault, I lost over 20 minutes of time last night, twiddling my thumbs waiting for parents who were stuck in another appointment. Oh well my wages only pay for the brand new house Sarah is looking forward to, but maybe I shouldn't mention that or the flowers and chocolate I bought her on the way home because I guessed it had been a long day for her too!

Rant over! Today is a new day. Have a good one.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Something I ate disagreed with me so was not a happy bunny during the night. Still not right but will take it easy today.

Her indoors was to have one of her lessons assessed yesterday. Assessor turned up, she turned up,one pupil (out of 4) turned up.the rest had gone on a trip and no one bothered to tell her...so she has another assessment scheduled for later this week...different school.different pupils different instruments. She is less than impressed!

Have a good day and stay calm!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, sunny after rain as I type the sun is behind a cloud. Start my training today I had better pass I am booked to start training of school staff in September!  Andy I went back to teaching to be able to spend more time supporting my wife plant fitting was 5 x12 hour shifts per week teaching worked out at 60 hours the same but a lot more of it was at home. Sun back out time for sandwich making have a good day all.