The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Doh. Now you've mentioned bindweed it'll get everywhere. 

I was looking at my bindweed collection the other day and thinking instead of fighting it I should embrace it? 

One of my white-flowering clematis plants is looking a bit feeble - why not simply cultivate the white-flowering bindweed up over the rose arch instead? Same colour flowers, leaf shape isn't so different....

Anyone got a bindweed treatment / cure that works? 

Systemic weedkiller, but keep it away from anything you want to keep. (And the fish pond!)

A damp and dismal good morning from Clacton. I must start by adding to the support for Dom - his is probably the most daunting task any of us have to face today. 'travelintrev' and Simon G. Mentioned 'Health and Safety' (can't possibly be a link to the resignation of DeGaulle on the same day 28/4/69?). There was a fantastic rush to implement health and safety in the motor trade during the nineties and I was responsible(?) for its implementation in three different sites. Didn't take me long to discover that no matter how carefully constructed the policy document was, most we're signed without being read and fully understood. Just as in my experience with the IT elements of the modern motor trade, any c*ck ups appeared to relate to human intervention!

I wonder if it's possible to set up some sort of 'missing members' system (just realised how open to interpretation that is - please don't!).

Like you, I noticed a lack of input from 'Don' and 'Gruffalo' and I tend to look through as many threads as time allows, perhaps we should consider having transponders fitted when we reach a certain age? Seriously, it is a worrying matter which could possibly be resolved with a voluntary 'contacts' section in the member profile?

Off to check the chores list now, have the best day you can,

Jock67B.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

First some info for DonW - I presume you might be staying at the Caravan Club site on the Marlow Road (assuming you've booked about 6 months in advance, it's busy!!) in which case 'bus would be best as there might be a stop nearby.  If you're not stopping there then there are stops in Henley of course.  There are two Arriva services through Henley to Reading - the 800 and the 850 and you would need to take the 800 - here's the route map, I hope -

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx?id=12562

The linked timetable doesn't show all the stops incidentally.  We are in Plymouth for a Mayoral ceremony in Saltash the previous day (or thereabouts) so might not make it back in time for the ALSRM show but it is usually an excellent show - whatever scale/gauge you model - and well worth a visit.

Anyway back to the mundane - off to reading for lunch with friends today although they are having difficulties navigating as their daughter's dog has eaten part of their computer mouse - which is probably nearly as big as the dog as it's one of those rather small breeds with an odd name like schnifter or snouser or suchlike.

So in the meanwhlil best of luck for Dom's first day and hoping our 'missing persons' will be back with us as soon as possible.  And the rest of you enjoy yourselves if work and daily orders allow.

• Like 3

Doh. Now you've mentioned bindweed it'll get everywhere. 

I was looking at my bindweed collection the other day and thinking instead of fighting it I should embrace it? 

One of my white-flowering clematis plants is looking a bit feeble - why not simply cultivate the white-flowering bindweed up over the rose arch instead? Same colour flowers, leaf shape isn't so different....

Anyone got a bindweed treatment / cure that works? 

I've got it under control in the veg patch by ruthless and relentless digging up. Rest of the garden is a bit of a lost cause, though as you say it does look very pretty when it flowers.

• Like 2

The problem with Convulvulusses is that a quarter of an inch of root left in the ground will grow a newly invigorated plant.

Did you know that the spread of them is mostly due to WWII?

It was the plant that many people grew in their back garden to cover their Air Raid Shelters quickly.

Don't know if it fooled any Bomber Pilots.

• RMweb Premium

A 5 minute job....

...90 minutes later....

Well, that wasn't too bad.  Moss and mud swept up, worms relocated to raised wall garden (5 minute job for another day...), one 'dead' pot dispensed with, three for re-potting, one plant to be put in the ground, debris and garden waste in sacks ready for collection day, and cleaned up with cuppa in hand.

Looks like my arm is finally on the mend  :training: ...might get to be a GWR (right handed) fireman, yet.  :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

We often get fighter aircraft low over our village during the day - great to see them.

We had one at very low level about 10.30pm last evening which is unusual.

Must have been a flap on of some sort.

(Hopefully not landing flaps).

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

One problem we have here is that our home is next to commercial premises which have rough, weed-infested ground around them. We installed a new fence last year with concrete gravel boards. This has slowed the ingress of weeds but won't do it all. One premises is  essentially derelict and used as a junk yard - the owner is an absentee landlord. The other premises gets  a lot less maintenance nowadays possibly due to commercial pressures. Throwing weed killer over the fence is probably the only option. I may go round and burn it back mid-season too.

I've also  thrown some wildflower seeds and giant sunflower seeds over too - the bindweed will have to compete!

A small tactical nulcear device may be worth trying but I'd need to check my household insurance first! :)

• RMweb Gold

We don't seem to have bindweed now. The vinca and ivy have smothered it. Either that or Aditi told it that it was a very naughty plant. Glaring at slugs hasn't been very effective though.

• RMweb Gold

Been to Conway today so was able to put my riddle in some sort of perspective.

The Goods Crane is just off the path.

Two possibilities:

i) The Goods Yard has been absorbed and all that is left is the Crane.

ii) The Crane has been relocated.

If you can see the fence on the right, it is about 20 metres from the regular through track.

Try this for more info ...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw009499 - I've put a pin on the crane for your information.

A mandatory website for anyone researching railways, or even local history IMHO, the latest batch of photos released has given me the pleasure of seeing several signal boxes which were once only entries in Sectional Appendices - Rockcliffe Hall not too far from yourself being one (the old box, not the 1950s one) - take a look at the other photos around the area (on the left of the page) and then take a browse ...

MorningAfternoon all,

Dull and quite cool here at the moment,

No trains, no plans.

Have a good day all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't seem to be able to  get going today. As well as the shopping I have to pinch out the tips on some sweet peas. I was supposed to do that yesterday but I couldn't find them. They were hiding under a gooseberry bush. I did have a slight distraction due to a battle of wits with the dog. I decided my collection of PG Tips Monkey toys (they sit on top of the refrigerator) looked grubby so chucked them in the washing machine and then put them on the line but clearly not secured properly. Robbie came in and swapped one for a biscuit. Another was completely missing, I'm sure the neighbours would be convinced I was mad if they had heard me attempting to instruct Robbie to find the monkey. Something must have clicked as he did go and dig under a plant and retrieve it.

Tony

I don't seem to be able to  get going today. As well as the shopping I have to pinch out the tips on some sweet peas. I was supposed to do that yesterday but I couldn't find them. They were hiding under a gooseberry bush. I did have a slight distraction due to a battle of wits with the dog. I decided my collection of PG Tips Monkey toys (they sit on top of the refrigerator) looked grubby so chucked them in the washing machine and then put them on the line but clearly not secured properly. Robbie came in and swapped one for a biscuit. Another was completely missing, I'm sure the neighbours would be convinced I was mad if they had heard me attempting to instruct Robbie to find the monkey. Something must have clicked as he did go and dig under a plant and retrieve it.

Tony

Sorry Tony,  but when you say 'battle of wits' I think you actually mean 'being completely outwitted'.

Try this for more info ...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw009499 - I've put a pin on the crane for your information.

A mandatory website for anyone researching railways, or even local history IMHO........

As Dave says it`s a truly-excellent resource.

I wanted to mention that it`s worth registering (totally free!) at 'Britain From Above' because reg. users have exclusive access to a powerful zoom-in facility, may download detailed images and may use several other useful features.

Great site 'beast66606' has come up with! Try to make time to 'over-fly' my chosen area soon, although it may well show the massive 'Johhnie Walker' warehouse that now covers most of the area where I lived. Suspect that my dad probably thought it a fitting end - he did love his tipple!! Who had to go and mention bindweed? SWMBO has just noticed a few of those nasty leaves creeping through the 'Choisyas' which line the fence by the railway line, so this afternoons chores list has been updated accordingly!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

PS good to see that my wife isn't the only one daft enough to have doggie birthday parties Debs! Archie always looks bemused when the candles are blown out by someone else while he gets a healthy biscuit and the guests enjoy 'his' cake! Bizarre?

Edited by Jock67B

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Home, knackered!

Was fairly pleased with how today's lesson went and appreciated the encouraging and useful feedback I was given afterwards. Glad that the morning seminar tomorrow is cancelled, too, so sleeping in will be on the agenda (far as this is possible with two rabbits and two cats!).

'Course part of my problem was that Jane had a large plant growing alongside our allotment 'summerhouse / winter shelter', which went through the fence behind and disappeared.  It had about 8 thick (25 mm plus) stems.  One day on a tidy up I dragged one of the broken stems back only to find it was Bindweed!   I promptly cut through the remainder and, even though we are organic allotmenteers, I drilled and poisoned the roots.

After about 10 days there was dying foliage stretching about 25 metres either side of our shelter................I kept very quiet.........................   :secret:

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 4

Afternoon all. Home, knackered!

Was fairly pleased with how today's lesson went and appreciated the encouraging and useful feedback I was given afterwards. Glad that the morning seminar tomorrow is cancelled, too, so sleeping in will be on the agenda (far as this is possible with two rabbits and two cats!).

I was going to wish you good luck along with everyone else, then of course the time-zones kicked in, and by the time I'd read all of todays updates, you're already done and survived! :) Glad it was a pleasant experience anyway <thumbs up>

Hope Don is well and we hear from him soon, I second the motion for some method of "contact info" so we know how folks are - odd but I've pondered this in the past on another hobby forum I'm involved with. Most of us only know each other from contact here - a "no show" can often be alarming with no way of knowing why <sigh>...

Weather...

I'm today reminded of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch given a large number are bemoaning the dull/reary/overcast weather, and my one-up is, wait for it...

It's stopped raining now... because... it's turned to SNOW!

You go it! Today the forcast is snow/rain mix, given the wet and warmer ground they say we'll only end up with an inch or so of "slush" on the ground...but it definately is sodding snowing :(

On the bright side - the kitchen floor is FINISHED! YAY! We can now begin restoring the kitchen to a fully armed and operational battle station :O  :jester:

Temporary restrictions to living spaces whilst the kitchen floor dried after each coat (3-4 hours a shot) gave me a chance to work more on the Engine Shed model - the railway was out-of-bounds as it is in the basement, access from the far-side of the kitchen :nono:

Have a great day everyone, keeping a look out for Don - remember hump day is fast approaching

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 70's when I lived in Romford (directly beneath the signal box) at the foot of the embankment but in my back garden I discovered a clump of Japanese Knotweed. I used a large bag of rock salt normally used for de-icing on it. It must have been effective as the knotweed disappeared and did not return.

'Course part of my problem was that Jane had a large plant growing alongside our allotment 'summerhouse / winter shelter', which went through the fence behind and disappeared.  I had about 8 thick (25 mm plus) stems.  One day on a tidy up I dragged one of the broken stems back only to find it was Bindweed!   I promptly cut through the remainder and, even though we are organic allotmenteers, I drilled and poisoned the roots.

After about 10 days there was dying foliage stretching about 25 metres either side of our shelter................I kept very quiet.........................   :secret:

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "drilling"? Is that lifting a section of root and putting a "nick" in it to allow the poison in?

Andy

• Like 1

Mornin' All...(well it is here anyway!! :jester: )

Just in after a late shift... not a bad day, just two dinners with a total of 250 pax (a term strangely from the airline industry which translates as 'person and extras') and with both having almost identical menus it was an easy one. Enough to keep busy with, so not boring!!

The best news is that it rained for a good chunk of the day so I expect that the water tanks will be full again... and they say that there will be more rain later in the week.

Okay... that's all for now.

Motters

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I got rid of bindweed here with glyphosate. When i bought my old house it had knotweed neatly planted in a raised bed with a little stone wall round it. It had of course spread. It took several years but I cleared it with SBK and by digging lumps of root out. It also spread to next door, a student house, and kept sending suckers back. I had to wait for the summer break and go over the fence to attack it.  

Pete

• RMweb Premium

great day today

Dentist -- minor correction to a filling - painless!

painting - first coat on..

sister drac - good response to the metal forming tablets - almost back to normal - have a £% bet on when I can crack 45%...

so no blood giving tomorrow just a day of painting then cricket - The Grammar School at Leeds v The MCC..... ooh err!!

Have a good day - sleep well Motters and where's the promised article?

bax

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Tony,  but when you say 'battle of wits' I think you actually mean 'being completely outwitted'.

I have got into a battle of wits with a hamster and lost before now. Robbie seems to love to demonstrate one of the alleged breed characteristics of "intelligent but can be naughty". One of his favourite tricks is to either pretend not to hear or just refuse to do something, and then do it when I give up. Fortunately he is good about "sit", "wait" and "here". Aditi taught him to run round on a towel in response to the command "Paws". "Biscuit" seems to attract attention quite effectively.