The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon (evening all in UK of course...), 9 here and slightly overcast/party sunny/partly cloudy, choose your preferred description!

Last evening we had a delightful walk around one of the local lakes just before sunset, see below;

post-20244-0-72791200-1398533189.jpg

post-20244-0-41204000-1398533191.jpg

then stopped in at the nearby homemade ice cream shop for dessert :)

Already been out, rented the floor sanders and done the first pass sanding the kitchen floor - looks excellent already so is going to live up to Mrs hopes and expectations which bodes exceedingly well for us all :sungum:

Taking a break whilst Mrs and daughter chat shoot-the-sh*it wabble on  converse on the phone, then some lunch and back sanding!!

Did manage a few more steps on the Engine shed, maybe try and get a photo or two to post this evening, kitchen project permitting...

Enjoy the evening/pub/curry whatever your pleasure is tonight everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon ER's.

A wet start first thing dried sufficiently to take myself off to the Lhergy Frissell hill climb,  These are cars apparently - I don't know much about cars.

Wossat, MGB?

post-10195-0-53994700-1398533611_thumb.jpg

Datsun 260Z?

post-10195-0-37470300-1398533643_thumb.jpg

Frazer Nash I think - these guys are really trying by the way - this is a 100 degree bend on a 1 in 12 gradient, known as the Gooseneck.

post-10195-0-09384700-1398533725_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mk 2 Essie - reckon this was an old rally car, it didn't sound like a 1300 Kent engine, put it that way. BDA?

post-10195-0-66406000-1398533818_thumb.jpg

Slightly blurry Porker...blurry because....

post-10195-0-96261200-1398533865_thumb.jpg

I was hurrying the shot to catch it doing what Porches do in the damp....spin!

post-10195-0-21180300-1398533931_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Bugatti - it's a real one apparently.  I should imagine this worth the gross national product of the UK.

post-10195-0-68323800-1398534022_thumb.jpg

J.A.P. engined Morgan, going for it.

post-10195-0-80800800-1398534073_thumb.jpg

Riley with a supercharger out front. Neat.

post-10195-0-81599100-1398534115_thumb.jpg

Another Bugatti - later, but no doubt still worth a bit more than my Focus.

post-10195-0-12002900-1398534159_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

then stopped in at the nearby homemade ice cream shop for dessert :)

Have you not had enough of frozen stuff recently?  :D

Nice photos!

Curry is my vice of choice tonight. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Off I went to the local station and waited patiently for the first ballast - Bingo, 66742 passed me running 60 late.

Remember I posted earlier to say the second ballast was taking the GER route from Norwich through Diss to Stowmarket, so I needed to be on that line, what to do now ? - I know, I'll go to some fields at Swainsthorpe ...

So I waited (and photographed the 90+DVT combos, and an unusual 3 X 170 on a Liverpool Street - Norwich) but the ballast was getting late .... then someone posted an email to say it was blocked in at Norwich, so I waited some more and finally, 2 hours late, it popped into life, leaving Trowse at 17:10 "Yippeeeee" 

At 17:20 I started getting suspicious and at 17:25 I was positive it was either waiting for the 17:30 to leave Norwich or it had gone the other (logical, but not pathed) way, the 17:30 passed me so it hadn't come my way, the 17:35 left Norwich heading for Cambridge, with the last update from Trowse it could still be there but then the update I was dreading "Off route report Attleborough 17:33" (always a few minutes lag in the reports) - dam, missed it, it had gone the other way after all. To make it worse, it used Brandon loop (to allow the Norwich - Cambridge to overtake) in the "wrong" direction - it is bi-directional but very rarely used in the "Ely" direction, it would have made a nice shot coming out, running wrong road through the station and then crossing over again - but today I was the statue.

Several more ballasts tomorrow, but an early start - hopefully they won't run early !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Look at the grill - that's a bugeye A-H Sprite under there.

Indeedy.  I should have seen that Ian, but as I said cars aren't my best subject! 'Spridget' !!!

There was a GT40 rep too, a nice one, but not a good photo unfortunately.  It was loud and fast though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By the way, just in case Neil and the other ex-sailors among us ERs should have missed my 2011 trip report about our holiday in Cuxhaven: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42557-i-must-down-to-the-seas-again-to-the-lonely-sea-and-the-sky/

I recall looking at it earlier, it has some nice photos.  The modern container ships are not particularly good looking I agree, but they have some interesting engines, they are pushing technology for slow speed diesels.  The latest are up to 100,000 hp.....

• RMweb Gold

Here's the one infrastructure I did capture

post-6662-0-33823600-1398544768_thumb.jpg

The signal is EN 8171 which is a 2-aspect repeater (Yellow / Green) on the Ely-Norwich section of line - hence the EN prefix - controlled from Cambridge PSB - for now.

• Like 5

Well the forecast rain never arrived today, it turned out dry and sunny. An enjoyable afternoon was spent at Pride Park watching Derby wrap up their home league campaign with a 4-2 win over Watford. That is third place secured which is good news, because had we dropped to 4th I would have missed the Play off home leg as it would have clashed with a parents evening at work. A further boost was the news of Forest's defeat which means they can't now make the Play Offs and thus removing the chance of us playing each other. That makes things a little more harmonious in our house hold!

The day was marred by a text from the boss wanting to know why I had not replied to emails she had sent to my work based email address! Errr....I am on holiday, and I don't check this email regularly during that time - I think I am entitled to a break!!!

• RMweb Premium

Well the forecast rain never arrived today, it turned out dry and sunny. An enjoyable afternoon was spent at Pride Park watching Derby wrap up their home league campaign with a 4-2 win over Watford. That is third place secured which is good news, because had we dropped to 4th I would have missed the Play off home leg as it would have clashed with a parents evening at work. A further boost was the news of Forest's defeat which means they can't now make the Play Offs and thus removing the chance of us playing each other. That makes things a little more harmonious in our house hold!

The day was marred by a text from the boss wanting to know why I had not replied to emails she had sent to my work based email address! Errr....I am on holiday, and I don't check this email regularly during that time - I think I am entitled to a break!!!

Tell her you were looking at a new job that ended when you went home and allowed you to go on holiday when you wanted to..... Gove may get the sack soon.......

• Like 1

Tell her you were looking at a new job that ended when you went home and allowed you to go on holiday when you wanted to..... Gove may get the sack soon.......

I actually applied for her job as she retires soon and did not get considered for interview lol. We can only hope Gove gets what he deserves soon. Although I don't believe the firing squad is deployed in our country anymore!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My impression of both the head teacher and deputy at my new school has been quite positive thus far - while at the one before, I'd have to limit that statement to the deputy only. I did quite feel for said deputy as it seemed to me that all the unpleasant jobs (such as timetabling) had been more or less dumped on her, and she had really been too nice to deserve this kind of work load.

Good evening all. To continue the 'Horace' theme - 'Nunc est bibendum' so it's off to pour the thumbful of nightcap! (You might guess I have the 'Odes' on my book shelf!). Great shots Neil, I'm more accustomed to watching 2 wheeled devices there! Managed a coat of paint on several parts of the dismantled patio set - used 'Hamm**ite' straight to rust which is just as well, as all the frames are metal and have spent most of their seven years out in all weathers. SWMBO will pronounce on these when they're dry tomorrow (could mean another trip to the paint shop?). Have a good day tomorrow, especially those who will have to drag themselves to work, and be safe.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Look at the grill - that's a bugeye A-H Sprite under there.

It's quite a bit later Ian, at least a Mk11 Midget/Mk111 Sprite. It has the later screen and doors with wind-up windows and quarterlights. Oh, and handles! That means 1964 0r later. It has what I think is a Lenham le Mans body kit fitted-ie a new one-piece flip-front and a "fast-back" hard top. I stand to be corrected on this as it could be Speedwell.

The number plate says 1968-9 which I suspect is correct, but how much of that original car is still there? If it's anything like my '71 then not much. Grandfather's broom and all that.

Ed

Sorry Neil, I meant to say what good photo's. I find it hard to believe that he got a standard MGB GT on opposite lock!

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Saturday was another day when it all came good mid-evening, but never very warm. And no chance of any gardening due to everything still being damp at best. Today is forecast to be showery - and the sounds from outside indicate a heavy one right now!

Hope you have better luck!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A bit cloudy here but as I'm driving to and from Leicester today it should be pleasant enough. I think Aditi may remain at home and plant some of the new acquisitions purchased at the plant show yesterday. A lot of the stalls were selling "heritage plants"  a few of which looked rather like some of the things I dig out of the lawn. I was amazed at the number of coaches turning up, clearly a popular venue for the elderly of East Anglia.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather a damp start today and 10oC. Looks like we're in for a mixture of sunshine & showers, some heavy and possibly thunder.

We had a great time last night and once again I probably ate too much but drank just enough. Sitting here at the moment surveying the scene and feeling a bit guilty to be swanning off to Nescot this morning and leaving Chris to finish off the clearing up. However apparently she doesn't mind because I gave up yesterday to help so that's all right then. (I think - it may possibly come back to bite me!)

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Bit grey here in Leeds but who cares?

No cricket till Wednesday but lots to do before then. Anyone any good at filling in holes in skirting boards when you remove redundant electrical sockets???

Have a restful Sunday.

Good evening all!!

Been a lovely day here, sunny and about 20oC, did a bit of watering in the garden today, got the lemon tree fed and ready for spring... hopefully will get some lemons next summer... just need to buy the G & T to go with them!!

Enjoy the rest of the day folks.

Motters

• Like 3

Good Sunday Morning all, 

Not much to report from here, though did have a surprise last night, our house girl had gone off with her church choir, so we phoned the local "Dominos"  pizza place, 30 minutes later (as promised) the Pizza turned up, as ordered, and tasted exactly the same as it would have done if it had been ordered anywhere else in the world, wonders never cease.

I did get a bit of modelling done yesterday.  Trouble is I'm going to have to make just a bit  lower. 

Looks like I'm going to have to go out this afternoon on a site visit.

Try and have the best day you can, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-63137300-1398586414.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

. Anyone any good at filling in holes in skirting boards when you remove redundant electrical sockets???

How big are the holes? I assume they are bigger than screwholes. Push a piece of wood in a shape than can fit in the hole just about and smear the edges with PVA. When dry, fill with filler, sand and paint. My father could do similar things with stained rather than painted skirting boards but he would carve something  to look like the grain pattern.