The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, wet and a bit chilly here last night looked like November not April still plenty of tidying and cleaning to do so best get on with it. I might even go in the loft over what was the garage and have a look in some of my boxes of stuff. I think that must feel like you have been robbed Gordon and I hope you can upgrade the defences succesfully.

Morning all,  

Just had a nice breakfast of pancakes & maple syrup...(Real stuff from across the pond).  Not much planed for today apart from a site visit & a bit of shopping from the S -A owned supermarket thats near that site. 

Try and have a good day, 

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A dreary Friday finally came good mid-evening, but by then it was chilly. Overnight the drear was back, blustery with scope for drizzle. Forecast to be rainy and stormy for days to come. Ashcombe may not be having a great time in the Mayenne, either.

When I was looking after Sheena's goats, Bamboo was at risk from her perpetually swollen udder. Apparently it burst the other day, to her relief, and she's now more comfortable. Sheena needs my help tonight to try and empty it again. The goat hasn't had young in more than a year, so this isn't right. Apparently goats engender the same sort of affection that dogs and cats might for the rest of us. So I'm told.

Hope your weekend goes well, Seems there are lots of exhibitions - RMweb in Taunton, plus Epsom, Maidstone and elsewhere. Perhaps you'll be at one of them.

EDIT : Posted all this and more in Gordon's pond thread, having got so carried away with the theme and forgotten I was not in ERs! It's my age, honest.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Aditi's totally out of character grumpiness was not exactly diminished when I told her that the route to Erith had delays due to failed traffic lights. She feels that her visit this morning comes into the box ticking category as the business providing the training is ceasing to exist for financial reasons in July. I have been left with a menial task (shredding) so I think it would not be a good idea not to have done it. I may be a while...

Tony

Good morning ERs, definitely indoor 'jankers' today, but haven't yet been presented with the list! There we all were rattling on about weather yesterday but a post by Ian shown in the portal, led me to update on the 'Washout at Dawlish' site - puts things in perspective I think? Sounds like your going to have a fun time with the goats Ian ; I wonder, was it a love of such bucolic dramas that took you to LeMans, or are you an ardent endurance race fan? I re-iterate, Sheena appears to be very lucky to have you as a neighbour although I'm sure it works both ways when she is fit! Have a good and safe day all (even you lucky b**gers going to shows - I imagine Tim(Captain Kernow) and others will make Taunton weekend a real hoot judging by the preamble on the thread!!),

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

An exciting morning beckons - two ballast trains out of engineering works at Norwich, one towards Ely and one towards Diss so mutually exclusive but in theory several hours apart, however engineers and booked paths don't always go together ... I have to keep an eye on the realtime gen to see when they depart too, as I can't commit to one without missing the other, so like playing squash, I'm stood on the Tee awaiting some action.

To pass the time I'm catching up on my notes from my holidays, this involves a spreadsheet and a website, I use the website to tell me how the train ran and then copy and paste the data into the spreadsheet for future reference, if only it was as easy as "copy and paste" - the format of the raw data doesnt lend itself to the spreadsheet so I have written a program to reformat a portion of the raw data, I have plans to make it handle all the data but I have limited time to capture it before it vanishes, it's only held for a couple of weeks. I have 72 trains to do on one day alone, and it's not rivetting so yawn......

Weather is dull but perfect for GBRF locos !

Have a good day all - especially those involved in the CK Experience.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Have just received a personalised letter from the local 'Director of Mail'

He wrote to inform me that in future, because of variations in the number of letters to be delivered, my post might arrive earlier.

Or later.

Or perhaps at the same time as I receive it now.

You couldn't make it up.

• Like 2

Morning all

He wrote to inform me that in future, because of variations in the number of letters to be delivered, my post might arrive earlier.

Or later.

You couldn't make it up.

"Atten-tion!...............Present; arms!.........As you were!" :jester:

Morning all

Or later.

You couldn't make it up.

I think our service does all this automatically.

Sometimes on the same day.

• RMweb Gold

I have shredded without adding any paper cuts to my hand.

I think I should also change my answer to the "Would you like to go to the flower show at Hyde Hall this afternoon?"

I jokingly said I wouldn't but I will, they do nice cake and afternoon tea there. I always ask Aditi if she would like to accompany me to a model railway exhibition but she always declines. Though she said she would go if there were any "real" trains.

Tony

Sunny and warm here this morning. Hopefully it will remain so for the afternoon as I'm off to Pride Park to see Derby' s last home game of the season, until the playoffs at least. Got the husbandly shopping duties to do first. 

Praise for the DVLA this morning. I updated my driving licence details online earlier in the week and new one arrived by post this morning. That was quick.

• Like 1

Morning All,

Just passing through, still not dead yet, but am in deep doo-doo with Mrs iD. She got rather cross when I referred to Schotty as a] a "Hairy Monster" and b] called him a "small person in a large fur coat". Apparently I am a] being unfair to dog and b] anthropomorphising him (sic)...

Off to do lunch (tagliatelle with a home-made rabbit ragu) and then off to rehearsals

Carpe Diem, boys and girls.

iD

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got to the number bridge before my game of cricket at Cleethorpes was called off.

Sat in the pub last night we were in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Sheet lighting across the road, rain in vertical stair rods the lot. Quite spectacular but made my hair stand on end.

Off shopping as her indoors has gone to score a mud bath... No cricket match....

• Like 2

iL Dottore, great to hear that you're still kicking - strange how easy it is to get yourself into trouble, especially when our furry friends are involved! 'Carpe' the list more like - just been handed this afternoons chores so paint brushes here we come. Enjoy lunch.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

'quam minimum credula postero'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

with a home-made rabbit  

One of my nephews is just finishing a Masters degree in synthetic life. He would probably be interested in your rabbit, though he wouldn't eat it, he has similar dietary requirements to bunnies (with one exception). He has found the course to be disappointing, he didn't take up the offer to continue  it at PhD level and is going to start another Masters elsewhere, this time in artificial intelligence. 

• Like 2

One of my nephews is just finishing a Masters degree in synthetic life. He would probably be interested in your rabbit, though he wouldn't eat it, he has similar dietary requirements to bunnies (with one exception). He has found the course to be disappointing, he didn't take up the offer to continue  it at PhD level and is going to start another Masters elsewhere, this time in artificial intelligence.

Tony_s - hope he has't followed all bunny habits or you will end up with hordes of 'great-nephews' running around!!

Kind regards

Jock67B.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

18-hour return trip to Kidderminster yesterday for a meeting followed by getting a mate to help refurbish the youngest's bicycle.

We stripped it down, peeled off all the girly stickers, keyed and primed the frame then resprayed it up as a boy's bike.

"Wowwwww" was his astonished, breathless comment when he saw the very shiny "new" bike this morning. 

Might have been cheaper to buy a new bike, but this was a lot more satisfying and he'll remember the time dad did a respray job on his push bike. :)

Getting up at the crack of dawn to take them for swimming lessons and a few chores round at mum's was tough though. 

Ooh, look. The Railway Children is on telly.....  

• Like 6

...........going to start another Masters elsewhere, this time in artificial intelligence. 

I`ve worked alongside some in the past, for whom any intelligence exhibited was definitely of the artificial kind. :jester:

Edited by Debs.

• RMweb Gold

IL D some of our dogs have definitly been small persons whilst others have always been dogs. Some of them do aquire the ability to think like a person to some extent whilst others seem to regard themselves as a dog and stick to it.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I`ve worked alongside some in the past, for whom any intelligence exhibited was definitely of the artificial kind. :jester:

I think my comment in a meeting about "future computing" was that AI was fine but I was still struggling with real stupidity didn't go well. Someone took it personally.

I think my comment in a meeting about "future computing" was that AI was fine but I was still struggling with real stupidity didn't go well. Someone took it personally.

I've been know to make comments about Artificial Intelligence and Real Stupidity.

• Like 4