The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yes Pete, looking like a crepe weekend ahead.  It's the Lhergy Frissell hillclimb tomorrow but if it's wet n windy I won't be bothering - it's up the mountain so not exactly sheltered!

Chainsawing at Groudle on Sunday, fallen tree to tidy up.

Apart from Ian in the mosquito infested lake festooned backwater of MN I doubt any of you really know what extreme climate is. :jester:

Ian, that is a joke by the way. Really like MN and that whole area. MiL used to live just north in Thunder Bay, and FiL still lives in Winnipeg.

The prairies in the rain shadow of the Rocky Mountains is one of the most extreme climates around. Winters with < 18% humidity and -44c, summers with either very high or dry humidity depending on how close to a body of water you are, can easily go to near 40c. Chinook winds that can change the temp by up to 50c in a matter of an hour or 2. The same in reverse when the winds from the north shift into gear and push the Chinook southwards. 18c, sun, rain, hail, snow, -20c all in the space of 12 hours. Many times I've gone to sleep with 40cm of snow on the ground and -30c and woken in the morning to +12c and most of the snow sublimated leaving only a small puddle.That's extreme climate.

and people wonder what possessed me to move away from that............. :sungum:

oh and Pete, the shrew has nothing on a p*ssed off lynx. Don't ask me how I know this.

Edited by AndrewC

• RMweb Gold

I believe my task for the weekend is to take Matthew back to Leicester on Sunday. He has been busy writing a report this week. When that is done he just has one final exam to do.

Aditi phoned to say she is on her way home. Senior management decided that one of the college faculties will get a mock inspection next week. This was so secret that not even the people doing the inspection were told until yesterday. So today Aditi has been cancelling all the other things that she was supposed to be doing next week. Unfortunately this didn't include the teaching observation in Erith tomorrow morning. 

I like South Essex due to the non-extreme climate and Benfleet is even less extreme than most. Angry badgers are the most dangerous wildlife round here, though the mosquitoes can be irritating.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Despite the tide going out sea weed is still wet here due to the forecasted mizzle.

Her indoors back,her car is now filled so early start tomorrow.

I am likely to be spending 3hours watching rain fall at cricket tomorrow :-(

You might find this at least as reliable as seaweed >>

http://www.funnysigns.net/johns-weather-forecasting-stone/

• RMweb Premium

Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for with the climate of the British Isles - many folk just don't know it.  Having endured some quite unbelieveable temperatures (and in one case unmeasurable - the thermometer went off the top) in ships enginerooms in hot climates (up the Gulf) I'm quite happy with Fraggle Rock!

• Like 1

Apart from Ian in the mosquito infested lake festooned backwater of MN I doubt any of you really know what extreme climate is. :jester:

Ian, that is a joke by the way. Really like MN and that whole area. MiL used to live just north in Thunder Bay, and FiL still lives in Winnipeg.

The prairies in the rain shadow of the Rocky Mountains is one of the most extreme climates around. Winters with < 18% humidity and -44c, summers with either very high or dry humidity depending on how close to a body of water you are, can easily go to near 40c. Chinook winds that can change the temp by up to 50c in a matter of an hour or 2. The same in reverse when the winds from the north shift into gear and push the Chinook southwards. 18c, sun, rain, hail, snow, -20c all in the space of 12 hours. Many times I've gone to sleep with 40cm of snow on the ground and -30c and woken in the morning to +12c and most of the snow sublimated leaving only a small puddle.That's extreme climate.

and people wonder what possessed me to move away from that............. :sungum:

oh and Pete, the shrew has nothing on a p*ssed off lynx. Don't ask me how I know this.

Used to jokes about MN so no problem Andrew :) Surprisingly it is a nice part of the world even with the extreme weather variations - that's what I tell myself anyway, and remain convinced of it as the reason I've stayed so long.

The Mosqitoes aren't here yet, we always get a few weeks respite between the god awful  challenging winter(s) and the arrival of the mosquito air force! We're basking in that limited season right now <aaaaahhhhhhhh>... in a few weeks we'll open the cabin on the lake and start to worry about fighting off the mosquitoes.

Fauna - we have a pretty similar array to Pete, but less the rattlesnakes. Timber rattlers are found further south than me at the lower part of MN, and only limited, so most of the fauna is "relatively" benign. We have coyotes wandering around, racoons, and deer for the most part. Northern Twin cities suburbs have seen an occasional bear, and also a few sightings of mountain lion (YIKES!!) past year or so... the MN wolf population is way far north so we don't see them around here.

Everything else has been shot in MN!

We’ve got a lot of wildlife ‘cos the Hunting regulations are so tight. I forgot about the raccoons......

Despite everything I moan about I don’t think I’m ready to move.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Hunting regulations around here seem to be along the lines of.. you've got a gun/crossbow/long bow, it moves and isn't human (possibly optional!!!), have a go...there are "seasons" but seem to be so many of them and there always seems to be some overlap that I'm not sure anyone knows for sure when one might NOT shoot at what stuff ;)

Rather like fishing season too - there's ice fishing, then a break, then fishing, then a break, <REPEAT> - also some limit on what can be caught when. I don't fish anymore but even when I did, I never mastered the art of only catching sh*it that was in season!!!! How do you do that, put a note on the hook explaining to the fish who shouldn't bite?? :jester:

EDIT: As you can tell, I'm obviously not an "outdoorsman" :senile:  :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

Ian, we were just a bit too far north for the rattlers. However, just to the east in the Jurassic badlands of Drumheller there are cold weather scorpions. We had the lot from bears, coyotes, wolves, moose, elk, deer, beaver, cougars, lynx, wolverines, and Jehovah's Witnesses.  We used to see a lot of garter snakes along the CP main line as they'd slither onto the grain cars in Sask and Manitoba.

• RMweb Premium

Ian, we were just a bit too far north for the rattlers. However, just to the east in the Jurassic badlands of Drumheller there are cold weather scorpions. We had the lot from bears, coyotes, wolves, moose, elk, deer, beaver, cougars, lynx, wolverines, and Jehovah's Witnesses.  We used to see a lot of garter snakes along the CP main line as they'd slither onto the grain cars in Sask and Manitoba.

When is the open season for Jehovah's Witnesses? :triniti:

Well the threatened rain arrived and lasted for much of the day. The breakfast in bed definitely came at a price today. The journey to the garden centre and craft outlet should take about 20 / 25 minutes. In reality, due to roadworks, it took almost an hour. I almost got to the Severn Valley Railway quicker yesterday!  Still Sarah was happy enough and picked up a few bargains which made the visit worthwhile. I do think that these craft outlet ought to look at expanding their range to include Hornby and Bachmann products to cater for the bored husband! They may earn a bit more!!

A lovely pub lunch followed. Its close proximity to Butterley saw me diop in on the way home. Sadly we had missed the train by 15 minutes and I was not hanging around another hour, much to the disappointment of my daughter who had been quite keen to see the choo choo! She is obviously developing a keen interest! This evening I landed dish washing duty and decided to entertain myself by sticking on the Severn Valley 2013 DVD, purchased yesterday,  whilst I was delving into the soapy water. Amber promptly wandered into the kitched, climbed onto a stool and sat transfixed for a full 45 minutes!

Planning done over a pint of Tangle Foot this evening, pressure off!

• Like 8

With the planning done I have managed to get the pictures off the camera from yesterday's Severn Valley Railway trip. The shot below shows the finger mark ruined shot of the Ivatt 4. Very disappointing.

post-13478-0-52406400-1398461018_thumb.jpg

(Edited for missing words!!!)

Edited by andyram
  • Like 1

That time again folks so I won't say the obvious! Weather in Clacton is very odd - in the 30ish years we have been here, I have yet to find a truly accurate forecast and have resorted to the 'open the blind in the morning' routine! For example our local paper website showed rain on Thursday at the same time as we were sunning ourselves in t-shirts. We live adjacent to the track not many yards from the rail terminus at Clacton and so close to the sea - I had several staff who travelled from Colchester (c.16 miles) and they regularity reported that the rain/snow/sun stopped or started at Weeley (c.3 miles). This happened way too often to be mere coincidence. Still, think how many conversations are based on the subject (look at us!). I used to marvel at the demeanour of clients walking into our showrooms : sun = smiley face! anything else = many layers of expression with most miserable caused by snow or ice!! I prefer to maintain a smile in all conditions, possibly as a result of being a Scot where men are..........etc. as Oldddudders would have it!

Kind regards and goodnight,

Jock67B.

Sorry Andyram, my fault with sausages for fingers on an iPadAir! Modified as soon as I realised because I actually like the shot!! J.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 1

That time again folks so I won't say the obvious! Weather in Clacton is very odd - in the 30ish years we have been here, I have yet to find a truly accurate forecast and have resorted to the 'open the blind in the morning' routine! For example our local paper website showed rain on Thursday at the same time as we were sunning ourselves in t-shirts. We live adjacent to the track not many yards from the rail terminus at Clacton and so close to the sea - I had several staff who travelled from Colchester (c.16 miles) and they regularity reported that the rain/snow/sun stopped or started at Weeley (c.3 miles). This happened way too often to be mere coincidence. Still, think how many conversations are based on the subject (look at us!). I used to marvel at the demeanour of clients walking into our showrooms : sun = smiley face! anything else = many layers of expression with most miserable caused by snow or ice!! I prefer to maintain a smile in all conditions, possibly as a result of being a Scot where men are..........etc. as Oldddudders would have it!

Kind regards and goodnight,

Jock67B.

Sorry Andyram, my fault with sausages for fingers on an iPadAir! Modified as soon as I realised because I actually like the shot!! J.

The curse of the chunky fingers. I have that problem too. Glad you like the shot. I had high hopes for it, a shame about the errant finger mark!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunny again, which sure is nice to be waking up to!

Couple of photos I took on the Baltic last week...

dsc08781ymppq.jpg

The beach was a wonderful playground for Charlie the beagle indeed as FiL had joined us on this trip.

dsc08790mgq4q.jpg

Darß. Dunes. Desert peninsula. Something like that...

dsc08792yqpkt.jpg

The smallish harbour of Zingst on the Darß-Zingst Bodden – bodden being lagoons where seawater and freshwater mix. These seem to be a pretty good spot for activities like fishing, bird spotting and boat tours. FiL, who is a professor of biology, has, in fact, taken student groups up here for field observations for many years.

dsc08801y3rpv.jpg

Mew, oh my.

dsc08808stoy2.jpg

German Maritime Rescue Service lifeboats like "Hertha Jeep" here and SAR cruisers are stationed in numerous places along the Mecklenburg coast as well. This was taken in Stralsund's harbour. The nearest cruiser stations are Darßer Ort with "Theo Fischer", Warnemünde with "Arkona", Sassnitz with newly-built "Harro Koebke", and Greifswalder Oie with "Eugen." Additional lifeboat stations in the area are (among others) Wieck with "Stralsund", Hiddensee with "Nausikaa", Breege with "Dornbusch", Glowe with "Kurt Hoffmann", Lauterbach with "Putbus", and Freest with "Heinz Orth."

dsc08810etr29.jpg

Not to be confused with the German Navy's training ship of the same name, the barque "Gorch Fock" is a floating museum at present. The ship was built in 1933 and sailed as a Soviet Merchant Navy training ship from 1949 till 1991. I understand there's an ongoing debate as to whether to bring her back to operational condition, depending on whether sufficient funding could be secured.

dsc08811dzqb0.jpg

Stralsund's inner harbour is mainly populated by yachts. This area and the adjacent Old Town seemed like a rather nice spot to live to me!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Overcast and raining here.

Just off out to put our sat-nav in Aditi's car. She is quite capable of finding Erith but the destination of the training centre seems to be in a maze of streets.

My plans to do some more model building didn't progress yesterday as when I was tidying up I managed to slice my thumb. Not painful but I was leaving blood everywhere and I want the buildings to look like a quiet Warwickshire village not something from a horror film.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining and 10oC, should brighten up later but still with scattered showers, some heavy.

Tea taken to The Boss and this time it was me who said "Hurry up and get a move on, we've got a lot to do today!" Actually it's her who's got most of the work to do on the catering side. My skill & expertise in the kitchen is not required as Abbie is coming to help. I have got to go and get the bread and one or two other bits & pieces, then finish off a couple of domestic tasks ready for the invasion of guests later this afternoon. I've already heard the cry of "I'm not sure I'm doing enough food!" Pah - there's enough here to withstand quite a long siege!

Because of all the above I'll have to wait until tomorrow to visit the Epsom show and there are several layouts I'm looking forward to seeing in the flesh instead of in photos. (Penlan, Clutton, Broadhurst Works & Diesels in the Duchy for instance)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A large shed  for the garden stuff has been delivered much work preparing a base then erecting it may mean I miss the SWAG meet at Taunton. Ah well I do have some other trips planned.

Don

• Like 3

Morning all.  Not a good start to the day...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85124-if-you-have-a-pond-look-away-now…/

Still surrounded by wet clothing from yesterday.  Competition golf in a steady downpour was not a lot of fun.  Eventually it had to be cancelled as all the greens were unplayable with huge puddles.  Of course by that time we had played 17 holes so spirits were somewhat dampened.  Thankfully my waterproofs kept me dry inside.  Still the beers, banter and dinner more than made up for the drowning...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Overcast and raining here.

Just off out to put our sat-nav in Aditi's car. She is quite capable of finding Erith but the destination of the training centre seems to be in a maze of streets.

Tony

If I'm going somewhere that I am unfamiliar with I 'drive' the route on Google Streetscene. Even with my memory I have always found my destination.

Good morning all from a reasonably bright morning here in South Glasgow. The heavy rain of last night has gone and blue skies are poking through the cloud cover so there's hope of a nice day, Mrs CC is off to meet chums for coffee and cake at some point so my youngest and I are being left to our own devices and knowing him it'll be KFC for lunch and an hour or two going round all the bookshops and art stores in the city! His Standard grade exams start on Wednesday so it won't all be fun and games as he'll need to get on with the studying at some point! Hope you all have a great Saturday whatever you get up to!

• Like 2

Interesting to see the reports from the States on various wildlife and habitat.

My bedtime reading at present is a series by C J Cox (recently discovered by me).

It's tales of a Park Ranger 'Joe Pickett' (?sp) with wildlife and hunting stories in between the murder and mayhem.

• Like 1