The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Thanks for the info. re Conway Castle.

I phrased it badly.

I was aware of the 'line through the arch' but a friend has sent a pic. of the (usual) mounted goods crane next to a pathway inside the Castle.

I wondered if it had a track to service the Castle in the past.

I am not aware of any such line.  There is no room on the north side of the castle for any line.  The only possible area would have been where the main line does run past the caste, as there is a space between the line and castle for a siding, but it wouldnt have been a long one, as it would be restricted by the tubular bridge on one side and the 'archway' on the other.  If it would help, I could ask the older members of my family and see if they knew of any such thing?

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, late on parade today due to spending the morning completing loads of little jobs which have been on the list to do for ages. A few more brownie points earned though.

Finally had to get a replacement rubber bellows for the push button toilet cistern, this had split  about three years ago and I had repaired it with the aid of a cycle puncture repair kit  but its perished on the other side so no option this time. Pleased with how long it lasted though.

Otherwise its raining and forecast to rain again tomorrow which hopefully means I can do some stuff on the layout as gardening will be off the agenda.

Never seen the inside of a police squad car, van yes but only as a passenger as the guy driving it was a mate of a friends and he gave us a lift to the village that being some 30 years ago.

Enjoy whats left of the day

Morning All,

...We have had our mail server migrated to Outlook over the Easter break, so I am interested to see how that will work.  First impressions are that Outlook it is considerably slower than the old mail package - but time will tell on that one I suppose...

Robert,

Even though I'm generally hate with a passion not a real fan of Microsoft solutions, over the years I've found Outlook for email to be a very reasonable solution. I've used it in both corporate and personal situations and what I particularly like is the abiltiy to seamlessly have multiple accounts in one place. I can leave Outlook open whether it's a business day or outside, and get notifications and reply to both business and personal mail accounts. Additionally having a calendar that then combines multiple "interests" in one place is a help. I hope you have a decent experience with it, as I have come to terms with the limitiations and enjoy the advantages I've found over time - never had any real performance issues BTW...

By the way I’m pleased to report that “our” Dept has reverted to the very cool "Broderick Crawford” livery of Black with White doors.

Best, Pete.

Pete (hey, got the name right today!!!) - I think you'll find a lot of police deparments are heading that way. Our local dept. actually responded in the town magazine to what has become a "frequently asked question.." according to the local police chief. Apparently, the scheme that was popular is being returned to because of cost. With the fleet changing, Ford announced they'd no longer produce cars (Crown Victorias predominantly) in black with 4 white doors and white roof. All black is now being purchased and they are using decals to cover the two front doors - not covering all four and the roof to save us tax-payers some money :)

We do have a variety of cars, including some stealth designs, in the police fleet but the standard "visible" cruiser is now black with white front door panels. I am amazed at the increasing number and variety of warning/hazard lighting options being applied to them - sometimes they are almost blinding when you see them at night!

Daily update - +6, sunny and clear skies here in the land of 10,000 lakes, expecting 15 today. Was delightful for our evening walk yesterday. The birds and ducks are all starting to show up in increasing numbers, just watching for the arrival of the first eagles - not been spotted yet, but I expect they are already present.

Have a good day all

• Like 4

This from our walk last evening - the track about 500ft. from the house at the end of the street.

We're actually on the other side of that track, if you look at about 22 seconds in, we cross where there is a small path worn where the light pole is...

About 4-5 trains a day now, used to be just 1 or two only at weekends...

http://youtu.be/IrxHqvmrmHE

• Like 3

Interesting model railway from Pete's neck of the woods.

Thinking the layout builder must have got through burnt umber paint on an industrial scale!  

I have visited this railway. It is actually a collection of disconnected loops of track. Definitely confirmed to me that big is not always better operationally......or satisfying in any way.

This extremely large layout of The Model Railroad Club is even closer to me and a monumental work based on real locations in New Jersey.  Again, to me, it was simply too much to take in.... http://tmrci.org/

The famous Paul Mallery was one of the leading lights behind it. It’s about 20 minutes from Newark Airport and is open to the public every Saturday morning.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to read all this police stuff on here, guys. German police have been switching from green-and-white cars to silver-and-blue ones for the past few years, and there also has been a similar drive from green and tan to dark blue/black uniforms.

I'd have to find out how unmarked cars commonly look over here, so that I might get me one and immunise myself against mad motorists, like Flavio has done.

A guy I know once mentioned how he had found an app for his smartphone which has the display flash in any colour you might want. He told me how setting this app to flash in blue had a rather miraculous effect on a gang of boozed teenagers as he was rolling down his street!

• Like 1

Dom, I’ll try and get some decent photos one day.

Their undercover cars are just a motley collection of late model American vehicles in different colours; there are some plain clothes cars used as runabouts that are not used undercover - it a bit of a giveaway when the license plate announces “Municipal Use” (which the undercover cars don’t say)....

The app you talk about is freely available for the Kindle.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

This from our walk last evening - the track about 500ft. from the house at the end of the street.

We're actually on the other side of that track, if you look at about 22 seconds in, we cross where there is a small path worn where the light pole is...

About 4-5 trains a day now, used to be just 1 or two only at weekends...

http://youtube.com/IrxHqvmrmHE

Thats better (dodgy link)

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of British police forces use confiscated performance cars as undercover vehicles just giving them new registrations, some like Essex even register them 'out of county'. They keep some or all of the 'boy racer' trimmings on them as well.

A lot of British police forces use confiscated performance cars as undercover vehicles just giving them new registrations, some like Essex even register them 'out of county'. They keep some or all of the 'boy racer' trimmings on them as well.

Our standard patrol cars are no slouches Phil.

The Dodge Charger SR/T 8 to similar specs are 4.2 seconds 0-60mph. Standing quarter mile: 12.6 seconds.

Faster than original (real) Hemi engined examples - and they brake and go around corners too!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

We booked our summer holiday today. Just for Aditi and myself, as Matthew will be in Australia. Aditi didn't want to go anywhere too warm so we are off to the Baltic by ship starting and finishing in Southampton.

Tony

• Like 5

The grey weather continued all day here in Derby with some heavy showers during the morning and that pretty much summed up our day really! Sarah's visit to the dentist was not as straight forward as she would have hoped, and as complicated as before. At least the anaesthetic worked this time! But an hour in the dentist's chair is no fun at all. That and the after effects of the injection left her feeling quite ill all day. That coupled with the bad weather meant we didn't really venture out much at all. We did head out to the local retail park in the afternoon so that she could take in Hobbycraft and TKMax but our daughter had other ideas. A major tantrum in the Smyths Toy Shop did nothing to help my wife's mood and so we turned for home immediately and she took herself for some quiet time in bed, leaving me to deal with the daughter!

So a pretty wasted day and the planning is still not done. After my sleepless night I am too shattered to start now, and my old ankle injury has flared up after this evening's stroll over to the new estate to deliver the wife's Avon books. What a thrilling life I lead right now!

However I suppose I should be thankful. On another day the three of us could easily have found ourselves laid up in the Royal Derby hospital, or worse still the local morgue. On the journey home from the city centre this morning I pulled up behind two cars, both waiting to turn right across a line of traffic. All of a sudden there was a squeal of brakes and a car screeched onto the pavement from behind us and smacked into the wall of the terrace house. No damage to the house, car or occupants and they immediately drove off. Clearly they had not been paying attention and had not seen us stop, thus had to swerve to avoid ploughing into the back of us. Had they not missed us I dread to think what would have happened as they would have hit the rear of the car where Amber was sitting and, almost certainly, would have slammed us into the car in front. I am so glad to still be here with my family right now.

Edited by andyram

I am not aware of any such line.  There is no room on the north side of the castle for any line.  The only possible area would have been where the main line does run past the caste, as there is a space between the line and castle for a siding, but it wouldnt have been a long one, as it would be restricted by the tubular bridge on one side and the 'archway' on the other.  If it would help, I could ask the older members of my family and see if they knew of any such thing?

That's kind, Simon.

There is the possibility that a crane has been mounted next to the path as a sort of Industrial point of interest.

I'll be there in a week or two so I'll have a look.

Thanks to others that have tried to help.

• Like 2

We booked our summer holiday today. Just for Aditi and myself, as Matthew will be in Australia. Aditi didn't want to go anywhere too warm so we are off to the Baltic by ship starting and finishing in Southampton.

Tony

You'll love it, I'm sure! Our first cruise was out of Dover to many of the Baltic capitals. That was in 1996 to celebrate our Silver Wedding and it was one of my favourite cruises.

• RMweb Gold

You'll love it, I'm sure! Our first cruise was out of Dover to many of the Baltic capitals. That was in 1996 to celebrate our Silver Wedding and it was one of my favourite cruises.

Matthew has promised to provide us with an itinerary for the day in Tallinn. `Though he did say he hoped that the cruise ship tourists would behave better than many of the UK citizens who were there this weekend. We said we would do our best. There is an overnight stay in St Petersburg and for that I think we will take an approved tour rather than messing about with Russian visas for individual entry. This will be our second cruise and is on one of P&O's smaller ships, adults only which apparently means average age of about 82 for passengers according to one website.

• Like 1

Time for the bedtime nip again ( goes too quickly as I get older!). Tony_S, hope you enjoy it - had 4 days in St.Petersburg a couple of years ago and loved every minute. Particular highlights were visits to the Hermitage which is a must for any Rembrandt fan as well as a performance of Swan Lake by the Marinsky ballet. Indelible memories now that my illness prohibits such travel. Good to hear from Il Dottore, however briefly. Can't help think of you as I start on the single malt nightcap - hope all is well with you and the world. There seems to be a general feeling of deflation after the Easter holiday but we are about to be cheered by a few hours with great grandson Freddie tomorrow AM. I'll probably need a rest afterwards!!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Matthew has promised to provide us with an itinerary for the day in Tallinn. `Though he did say he hoped that the cruise ship tourists would behave better than many of the UK citizens who were there this weekend. We said we would do our best. There is an overnight stay in St Petersburg and for that I think we will take an approved tour rather than messing about with Russian visas for individual entry. This will be our second cruise and is on one of P&O's smaller ships, adults only which apparently means average age of about 82 for passengers according to one website.

So you and Aditi will be the youngsters of the voyage Tony.  We felt like that once or twice on the Nordlys although in truth we were probably somewhere near the lower end of the average age of those who were only there for the trip (as opposed to those who were actually using the ship to get from A to B) but the age ratio definitely changed once the US group alighted at Kirkenes, including one woman who was the spitting image of Joan Rivers but who turned out to be a very pleasant lady.  And things altered again once the Germans alighted at Trondheim on the voyage back southwards as they had supplied the 'oldest resident' (90) until then.

Hope you have a great trip and you'll get to see some very interesting places.  We're not keen on big ships and the P&O Aurora (for example) is just under 7 times the gross tonnage of the Nordlys we were on recently has (bunk) accommodation for more than four times as many passengers - more like a sort of floating small town that ship.  Another interesting comparison is that it has ten times as many crew for just four times as many passengers - but an awful lot more beds to make of course.

Mornin' all,

Yep you guessed it... blue skies and a lovely day ahead of us...

Nothing much planned today as I am going back to work tomorrow after the Easter break...

Motters

• Like 1