The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Reading the article, even the H&SE thinks it's crazy. With kids throwing food at each other, perhaps the school needs to take a look at discipline?

You cant disipline the little darlings, it might stunt their development. Most young people are perfectly well behaved and a credit to their upbringing but the minority need their development stunting.

Laurence

• Like 1

Reading the article, even the H&SE thinks it's crazy. With kids throwing food at each other, perhaps the school needs to take a look at discipline?

Never mind they will all get a "university" education.

-3C here and snow overnight. No wonder that I'm cranky.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Happy hump day - seconding Pete in my being a little cranky too.

Sod me it's 0 here right now with rain turning to snow and expecting a couple of inches overnight! Suppose I should be grateful (b*u*g*g*e*r that!!) as just 80 miles north of us, where our lake cabin is, they're expecting 10 freaking inches of the stuff!!! All supposed to clear by Easter and possible even 15 for the temperature.

<WARNING, WARNING, RANT ON>

OK - did some modelling last night - my lovely "Winston Churchill" and the Bachmann 9F needed their detailing parts atttaching...

What total PRAT, dick-head, idiot, brain-free moron, designed these parts and their methods of attachment, have they ever tried to install the bloody things themselves??

I've tried about every glue imaginable on these things and some refused to stay on - finally using false-nail adhesive worked at about the third attempt!! Has ANYONE every attached front steps to a Hornby BB/MN/WC and got them in the CORRECT POSITION and STAY THERE in under 2 hours???

The 9F is no better, front steps a pain in the arse, and  trying to get the drain pipes under the cylinders in position and STAY requires a digital microscope, fingers about 3mm in diameter and 6 inches long, several pairs of tweezers, FIVE hands, and some sort of glue that will hold the bloody International Space Station together ... AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

In total it took me almost THREE hours to install two sets of front steps, two vacuum pipes and a set of drain pipes - losing the rear vacuum pipe for the 9F tender into the bargain - no problem really as it's SO BLOODY SMALL it'd not be noticed even if it WAS attached!

All looks great now, but what a sodding struggle it is - I'm ready to beat-the--out-of  have a serious talk with some of these "so-called" designers. Are they from the same failed group of engineers that design cars, making it impossible to replace ANY item in the engine compartment without enlisting the help of a team of thousands and every tool known to man!!!

It may be I'm the moron, but I generally am pretty good at this sort of thing and I admit almost being defeated by it <sigh>

<RANT OFF>

Well, that feels better :)

Work, in comparison, is a doddle! More SQL development and helping "end-users" understand what a specification really is, it's NOT "ooo, can we have something like this <insert vague cobbled up spreadsheet here>".

All those with a 4-day weekend coming up, you're a day late with Hump Day remember - plan a good weekend.

• RMweb Gold

I blame Tony S, who no doubt has influence over Canvey Island!

I can definitely say that I am a person without influence where Canvey Island is concerned. I did my best for a few years to influence the young people of Thurrock.

• RMweb Gold

Never mind they will all get a "university" education.

-3C here and snow overnight. No wonder that I'm cranky.

Best, Pete.

My son is finally getting the education he needed many years back as a mature  engineering apprentice.

He is rapidly coming to the end of his first year and has spent two days a week in the machine shop either at college or at the  DSG workshop, making real items.

The latest is a very nifty little milling vice which, although he doesn't know it yet, is destined to be copied in a variety of sizes for my two milling machines.

He was out early today as they are  currently using an indexing head on the mill and  he wants to get some extra practice in before the next session starts.

Again he is unaware of the plan to use him to make the next batch of 1:13.7 scale flycranks I need for a De Winton loco.

I work on the principle that he cannot get enough practice, and using a different set of machines that are no equipped with DROs  iimproves his machining skills.

• Like 6

Mmm, quick update. In the 30 minutes since I last looked/saw outside (no direct windows for me to see out of) apparently the rain expected has not materialized, rather it's already snowing, doesn't necessarily bode well!! We shall see how the morning progresses, I may bail out early if we're in for a larger amount of snow...

• RMweb Premium

Was this article published a week too early?!?

If not, then I really do despair...

School bans triangular flapjacks: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-21923218

I blame Tony S, who no doubt has influence over Canvey Island!

I can definitely say that I am a person without influence where Canvey Island is concerned. I did my best for a few years to influence the young people of Thurrock.

A fellow member of my local model railway club is a retired schoolteacher from Canvey Island. In fact Tony might have met him last Sunday, he was on the O gauge layout, a Welshman by the name of Graham.

• RMweb Premium

On holiday again. ....a few days on Robin Hood bay

Journey complicated by a family frpm Barnsley remodeling the rear bumper of car on the A 64.

Her indoors is having a bath to relax

.me I opted fpr a pint of Wold Top beer

• RMweb Gold

But you'd have to wave to attract my attention  coz Redcar wind-farm is in the way . . . .

If he was waving his arms how would you tell the difference.