The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Currently, Mrs iD are having an animated and vigorous discussion about his nadgers. I say that they need to go, she says no. Schotty hasn't yet voiced an opinion, but he does get amorous and has been known to "press his attentions" on young ladies who - I suppose - just "want to be friends".

Do you not remember the days when ................

Good afternoon iL Dottore, are cigars and whiskey what a doctor would recommend? Don't use the former but the current nightcap is a Macallan and very fine indeed and so I shall have to now say 'medically recommended'! As to the animals, we have had a pedigree Westie for all of his 7 years (now nut free for any allergic readers) and he exhibits a cunning that most cats would be pleased to match. That said, having been against a dog at the outset, I now have to confess that he has become an integral part of our lives and both I and the domestic management feel enriched by the experience! As an aside to DonBradley (see post above), thank you for the welcome - as a fairly recent member I haven't had much experience of this thread but am greatly enjoying reading the 'back nos.' When it can attract members from afar like yourself, Oldddudders, 1216 025, iL Dottore, the thread and RMWeb can only go from strength to strength, thank you all for lightening the burden of my current illness and very kind regards,

Jock67B

Good afternoon iL Dottore, are cigars and whiskey what a doctor would recommend? Don't use the former but the current nightcap is a Macallan and very fine indeed and so I shall have to now say 'medically recommended'!...Jock67B

Welcome Jock (with a nom du web like that, are you a transplanted Scot?). As to your question the answer is - basically - both smoking and drinking carry risks. The degree of risk depends on what, how and how much. I have seen some data suggesting that an occasional cigar smoker is only marginally more at risk than a non-smoker, but this has been challenged. Your genetic makeup also plays a significant role as to the risk of developing cancer. I've known of young non-smokers who have developed very aggressive Non Small Cell Lung Cancer and I've known 80year old 40/day smokers who were free of malignancy. I know the risks, know my familial and personal risk factors and have made my choice..

Quite frankly, with today's H&S environment we need the following health warning:

LIFE: 100% Morbidity, 100% Mortality and it's sexually transmitted

iD

p.s. Sometimes we even get to talk about trains!

• Like 2

Afternoon all from the majestic hanging gardens of the boring borough. Antibiotics have kicked in and the tonsillitis is on the run. After a lot of high class procrastination I've finally finished laying the garden path. A few days to settle then do the sand + mortar gap filling. Time for a well deserved break on the patio with a glass or 6 of beer. Just wish the sun would come out.

Enjoy your weekend

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Matthew could have gone on the bus to Tesco today to replenish his "airport security sized" personal hygiene materials but I drove him there and did the shopping that they forgot yesterday while at Westfield Stratford. Aditi went out to lunch with a colleague who was leaving and Matthew bought shoes and T-shirts.

He did amuse me as he was reading a book on sauna etiquette in preparation for  his Finnish trip but he had an email from the course organisers asking people to take swimwear. I think some of the participants may be from well south of the Nordic lands.

I checked my scenic glueing and decided that the hillside angle needed a bit of adjustment. Whacking the scenery with a hammer (no more nails and styrofoam is quite tough) adjusted it perfectly. I'm not sure that amount of geological activity is prototypically correct for South Warwickshire.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I love Flavio's reference to Twin Rovers in his final para of a post largely about dogs! I, too, gained an early sense of independence due to London Transport, with various Rover Tickets, so before I was 11, I'd been from Dorking to Windsor and Bromley by bus, alone for the day. Mind you, in those days, while it is likely there were no fewer perverts etc about than now, parents were great deal less sensitised to the risks by a desperate gutter press. So Mum had made it clear that I should not accept lifts from strange men, but that appeared to be it. Of course, as Pete (Lifeboatman) points out, the rural bus is now a rare species, especially out of hours. Because in the '60s, nearly everyone's mum and dad bought a car - which is where I came in earlier.

Regular readers - are you sad, or what? - will recall that Saturday has the disbenefit for me of the call to MiL. Recently on several occasions, when I've rung at 10.30 UK time, she's had her daily Social Services visitor there, and has asked me to ring back later, which I have done. Today I thought I'd try ringing later anyway, to avoid the conflict. So at 11 the SS person rings me and puts MiL on (she can't see to dial numbers herself any more), thus completely defeating my intention to be helpful. MiL thought I'd forgotten. She's 92 in August, on no medication, and will probably see me out - from sheer frustration!

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Morning-ish.

Late check-in due to a breakfast out, collecting a framing job (motorbike stamps - well we do live on the TT land!) and spending a king's ransom on some new wardrobes.

Still, home and dry now, only without the dry bit - forecast was wrong, can you believe that?

Welcome to ER's Jock - we do get away with talking about trains sometimes, but watch out for Debs!

On the subject, how come no one, not even BoD, noted the beer barrel in several of yesterdays shots of my garden railway?  It is a Guinness barrel, found on the beach by Mrs NHN when beachcombing a few weeks ago, and is now a garden table, with a top made from the face of a shunting signal - a black and yellow one, Mike will no doubt detail the use (on the big railway) of these.  I think it's something about passing at danger when points are set for a headshunt or siding, not leading to a main whence the signal has to be off to pass it?

• Like 1

Absolutely right iL Dottore, transplanted in early teens to Essex - my late father always said that there were some good 'missionary positions' going here!! Never did take up smoking but of course, spent a lot of time in pubs so probably ingested as much as some with the habit. My cancers are in the pelvis (2) and the ribs as secondaries from the kidney but, diagnosed this time last year, it would appear that the new drugs now available are remarkable and seem to be containing the tumours. Of the philosophy that I am living with cancer, not dying from it, I mention my condition, not to seek sympathy but to illustrate your point - none of us know when we will hit the buffers, only that we will one day. To lighten things, this wonder drug (Pazopanib) taken as pills nightly, looks that it may give me enough time to realise some of the railway modelling that I dreamt about before enforced retirement. I hope to make a representative model of Hurlford MPD where my dad was a driver on the G&SWR. I was lucky enough to live for some years in the railway maisonettes nearest to the shed and you will notice me to the right of the nameplate in my avatar in c.1953! The first module, (I thought it prudent to proceed in stages) the coaling stage, is on the drawing board awaiting funding. Thank you for your input, like Oldddudders, I have found RMWeb to be friendly and supportive. I feel that I have a fantastic team of people, medics and family around me and now a growing number of friends who bolster my resolve. Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 1

Big cars.  what are they carrying?  Looks pale like wood chip.....??  It'll be a mess if it rains!

I wondered about that but I thought it was some kind of grey gravel - maybe the setting Sun makes it appear warmer in tone.

The "hump" (steady, Debs) suggests a rounded profile - but I could be 100% wrong, as you know.

I'm guilty as charged, Ian - as one who went solo to Innsbruck at thirteen can attest (and loved Twin-Rovers during the holidays). The ticket collector at the Waterloo end of the drain once caught my arm and asked me if I liked leather? He got a torrent of abuse from me. A City type complete with Bowler hat at Bank once copped a feel until I stamped on his instep. Karate came in handy. In fact I (very much) later taught my Sensei how to shoot pistol.

Btw tell me what the model number of the S & W pistol is I could provide full data. Where did you find it? Is it in good condition and lightly oiled? To be honest most older S & W's tended to non-metric calibers.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

All I can say, Jock is "good luck". Cancer is one, tough, evil bastard, but slowly we learn more and slowly we wear away it's defenses. There will never be a Muhammed Ali KO in this match, but a long, bruising slug match. But I am glad to hear you are "under control" with the new generation drugs (and don't underestimate the effect of a positive outlook.... So keep on modelling).

To change subject, there are a number of Essex blokes here on ER, either au naturel or transplanted (like you or me [Gidea Park!]). Pete (Trisonic) is also an Essex lad - but I'm not sure if home-grown or transplanted. And who knows how many others? Perhaps it's time to brush off the Estaurine patois - narwattamean, mate?

iD

• RMweb Gold

...Perhaps it's time to brush off the Estaurine patois - narwattamean, mate?

iD

Now modified to Narwattamean, innit ,bro.

I got somewhat told off by my nephew recently for criticising some aspects of modern speech patterns. I didn't criticise Essex accents just some of the "gangsta" or "street-talk" that some kids round here affect. They don't seem able to switch into something closer to Estuary to enable conversation to flow. Anyway my nephew (Mummy and Daddy are doctors, he went to a nice grammar school and nice Cambridge college) accused me of demonising chav culture and oppressing the working class. Matthew wasn't there but he was quite amused as he said Paul (his cousin, my nephew) would have lasted about 30 seconds at his school.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks, I'm an early riser due to the relaying of the track at the bottom of my garden! We back on to the Liverpool St. line about 1/2 a mile from Clacton on Sea terminus. They relaid the down line with new welded track many years ago, but when Potters Bar occurred, they disappeared with only the down side completed and haven't been back since (leaving the welded rails for the up side lying in the drainage channel!). Last night they lifted the old track and 66413 is currently sitting at tick-over with a train of JNA's being loaded with the old ballast. The dog is un-impressed with this and the noise of the diggers and graders right behind his territory!! Wonder what happens to the wagon loads -up to 64T of old ballast? Although not good for sleep, it is fascinating to observe the engineering ; modelling in 12 inches to the foot? I will be watching (they claim it will be finished in time for Monday rush hour) to see if I can pick up tips for my projected model. Will they use dilute PVA with a big splash of washing up liquid for the ballast? The most amazing thing over the last few years has been the difference in noise levels between the old and new tracks - at least the house and garden should stop vibrating with each passage of an up train!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hello Jock, welcome to ERs, though I'm a relative newbie, myself.

I'm not from Essex and can't say I "know" Clacton on Sea but I did go there on one of those summer one day rail tours from Hayes & Harlington - in the early '70s at a rough guess.  Spent the rest of the day down on the beach.

Now, since I have a 66 for a ballast train to go down my branch line to a mineral plant, I find your story interesting.  As a point of interest, where does the old ballast go - cleaned and recycled for railway use, building roads, filling up holes in the ground....?

Sorry about the noise you're getting.  It's bad enough when it's outside your place of work.  Hope you'll be able to post some piccies / videos, though.  You may have noticed that these usually accumulate a considerable number of "likes" so always worth posting - we're a ravenous lot for the pictorial look at life.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Trisonic Pete - I think the pistol was found in a loft or similar circs. There is a S/N, but I didn't note it. If I see Peter and Ivy in the near future I will try to get further details. Perhaps we'll all have been rounded up as a terrorist cell by then!

• RMweb Gold

I've crept past Elsa who is supposed to be preventing me from leaving the bedroom, but she is lying across the doorway, snoring.

Now i'm supposed to be collecting more reading materiel:  Looking materiel would be a better description, so Bradford Barton's collection of GW Steam in..........( I have the full set) is gradually cluttering up the bedside table.

Micheal Hale's books on South Wales will be kept back until boredom really sets in tomorrow.  Probably around 0330.  Perhaps I should make the effort and join the real ERs for a change.

Best go as the guard is changing(Snoring stopped)

• Like 3

Welcome "Jock" and good luck from me also... we're all very supportive here (also a newbie though) and it's a fine place to drop in.

I'm always "late" given I'm in the US like Pete, so my day starts when most of you are contemplating afternoon tea already! :)

Hmm, well, Mrs and I are dog AND cat folks... currently just the one cat though having lost our last canine companion in November. We're not sure we can handle another - we've had a dog for 30+ years, with only very short breaks between losses - due to the huge emotional upheaval losing a lifelong friend has become <sigh>

Bob, the cat, is absolutely of the mind that he is the only intelligent being in the household, and quickly points out any shortcomings of the "rest of us". :jester:

So - the weather report from Minnesotas today is 7 and overcast, periods of rain and a slight breeze making it a little chilly first thing.

Have to do the taxes today so will be grumpy much of the time, BUT, as MRs is taking here two great-nieces for the day to have some fun, I am also going to punctuate the taxes with some intervals of ... tracklaying ... :senile:  :locomotive:  who knows, I may get the second loop of the roundy-round section completed if I'm lucky!

Enjoy your weekend one and all :drinks:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5

post-9029-0-12908100-1397317425_thumb.jpgJust been half a mile from my house to watch Scots Guardsman head south on the Cumbrian Coastal Express.  She was pulling out of St Bees station and working quite hard, so hopefully the video I took will be good.  Here is a still shot though.

• Like 13

Trisonic Pete - I think the pistol was found in a loft or similar circs. There is a S/N, but I didn't note it. If I see Peter and Ivy in the near future I will try to get further details. Perhaps we'll all have been rounded up as a terrorist cell by then!

Look for the model number first (or tell them to) it should be on the left hand side of the barrel or the slide. Btw is it a Revolver or Pistol? do they need to know how to make sure it is safe to handle?

If Pistol, first eject magazine from the grip. There should be either a button just behind the trigger guard on the left of the frame or a gizmo at the bottom of the grip. One of the two. Once the magazine is out rack the slide back as far as it will go - it should stay in that position - any rounds in the chamber will be ejected, or they should be. In case, with the slide still back peer through the ejection port to check that the chamber in the barrel is empty. If it is the slide can be released by pulling it back further a tad and letting go. Keep fingers out of way!

A Revolver is slightly less complicated. Holding the piece by the grip (away from you), on the left hand side of the frame behind the cylinder (in line with the cylinder) should be a lever flush with the frame. Either push it forward or back and at the same time place gentle pressure on the right hand side of the cylinder - it will open to the left. Depending on the model you should see six holes - if you do not see six holes it means one or more has rounds in them. Look at the front of the cylinder. There's a rod projecting along the axis of the cylinder - push it in (this is the ejecter) it will push out any rounds in the cylinder - put them in a handy box - they will be quite safe. The gun is now safe.

Close the cylinder and make sure the hammer is down. If it is not place your thumb on the knurled part of the hammer sufficient to hold it steady and gently squeeze the trigger when you feel the pull on the hammer increase gently lower it with your thumb. On most S&W revolvers you can damage the frame by just pulling the trigger and allowing the hammer to fall on an empty cylinder.

Trust this helps. 

Pete.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Been busy painting and decorating but managed to finish and so a photo from New Zealand.. Feeding time at Mount Bruce..

post-7650-0-12261800-1397317875_thumb.jpg

and after driving for miles beside the railway line in New Zealand we did see a train...

post-7650-0-58589800-1397318030_thumb.jpg

shots taken at a unused railway station in 

post-7650-0-00503200-1397318123_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've crept past Elsa who is supposed to be preventing me from leaving the bedroom, but she is lying across the doorway, snoring.

Now i'm supposed to be collecting more reading materiel:  Looking materiel would be a better description, so Bradford Barton's collection of GW Steam in..........( I have the full set) is gradually cluttering up the bedside table.

Micheal Hale's books on South Wales will be kept back until boredom really sets in tomorrow.  Probably around 0330.  Perhaps I should make the effort and join the real ERs for a change.

Best go as the guard is changing(Snoring stopped)

Richard, as you have the full set can you tell me please if GW branch lines vol 2 has any material on the Didcot Newbury and Southampton line? I bought vol 1 on the off chance and was disappointed.

• RMweb Gold

Depending on the model you should see six holes - if you do not see six holes it means one or more has rounds in them. Look at the front of the cylinder.

Front?

I'd feel much safer looking at the back.

Absolutely right iL Dottore, transplanted in early teens to Essex - my late father always said that there were some good 'missionary positions' going here!! Never did take up smoking but of course, spent a lot of time in pubs so probably ingested as much as some with the habit. My cancers are in the pelvis (2) and the ribs as secondaries from the kidney but, diagnosed this time last year, it would appear that the new drugs now available are remarkable and seem to be containing the tumours. Of the philosophy that I am living with cancer, not dying from it, I mention my condition, not to seek sympathy but to illustrate your point - none of us know when we will hit the buffers, only that we will one day. To lighten things, this wonder drug (Pazopanib) taken as pills nightly, looks that it may give me enough time to realise some of the railway modelling that I dreamt about before enforced retirement. I hope to make a representative model of Hurlford MPD where my dad was a driver on the G&SWR. I was lucky enough to live for some years in the railway maisonettes nearest to the shed and you will notice me to the right of the nameplate in my avatar in c.1953! The first module, (I thought it prudent to proceed in stages) the coaling stage, is on the drawing board awaiting funding. Thank you for your input, like Oldddudders, I have found RMWeb to be friendly and supportive. I feel that I have a fantastic team of people, medics and family around me and now a growing number of friends who bolster my resolve. Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Also a member of the club no one wants to belong to, Jock. Had radiotherapy at the end of last year and now am at home getting over the TURP operation. (google it if you dare). People are incredibly supportive on here.

• RMweb Premium

Waiting for the route:

img_2018_1024eyjc7.jpg

Almost, that is. 411 029 was on public display at Leipzig Central today – with a steam special pulled by 18 201 standing by for departure on the opposite track.

• Like 9

Front?

I'd feel much safer looking at the back.

If the cylinder opens to the left you are looking at it from the rear - you still will see six holes. Sorry, but this is serious stuff.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic