The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Had a fairly heated discussion last night with one of the wheel re-inventors who insisted that three phase 415v motors would run at 336 without any  problems!

May well do - for a while...

Does he think the motor manufacturers make up the information on the rating plates for fun?!?

I think it appalling that I may be curtailed from acting as a naked Butler in Poole, Dorset. What happened to freedom in the UK?

Actually I was thinking of giving it up anyway - due to cold, drafty weather and sciatica...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thing about sled dogs is that they poop on the move, and it goes straight under the sled, fortunately - I don't think herself took any pictures of that piece of the action.  They also pee on the move but, even more fortunately they didn't in our case.

And 138 books? - I've got more than that in one bookcase, and I've got four bookcases plus umpteen feet of shelving in the library and more in the attic.

Takes you back to the good old days of working trackside before they fitted passenger carriages with holding tanks!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A glorious sunny day here with cool, crisp air. Love this time of year. Spotted the first butterfly in the garden yesterday - a Brimstone, apparently. 

Baz, from memory my colleagues who dealt with time zone shifts and fatigue in airline pilots reckoned you adjust by 1 hour per day to acclimatise to a new time zone.  

Off to the MiL's today where internet connectivity is an occasional luxury. 

Got the prospect of a day in the workshop tomorrow pouring liquid rubber mouldings and listening to folk music. Whalebone, to be precise. 

Have a nice day / weekend everyone.  Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Yesterday was a gorgeous day, and a few more seem likely now. I was almost productive by my standards, too, managing to do some more mowing, change the oil in the lawn tractor, visit the mairie as planned, get rid of a load of cardboard at the recyc centre, and buy horsefeed. Dinner on the terrasse at 7 in a tee-shirt. I slept quite well, too.

I need to do some fettling of the four new fence-posts before Sheena arrives tomorrow to help put up the rails. They seemed solid enough a few weeks back, but are now looser than I would like. As Sheena is in dock for an op next week, and will be on light duties for a couple of months, we need to finish this now.

Our three cats have always been good feeders. When they passed their 8th birthday last year, I put them onto "light" feed. This has worked well, but only comes in 1.5kg bags. So I decided I'd try them on the same make's "Sterilised" version (that's the cats, not the food) in 3kg bags. Fatso Cooper loves it - but I now realise Chevron is getting bored halfway through the meal and giving up, so Cooper helpfully finishes his bowl, too. Back to the light version.

Hope your day goes easily.

• RMweb Premium

Thought for the morning: What do you make of someone with a badge on his jacket which has the following written on it?

"A**hole. Not just a word - a lifestyle."

With proper letters in place of the asterisks, I should add.

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Premium

Morning, rather showery and non-descript here, a mere 8c which is just not enough.

Have agreed to write the annual report after all, as I was asked very nicely, but it's on my terms and without the interference of the last few months from various senior parties.  So that makes it an enjoyable (relatively...) process really, as it has been for the last 8 I have done.  It always feels to be very positive as we are successful in our work, despite some quarters trying to insinuate otherwise.  Oops, ranting.

A nice day predicted for tomorrow then going off for the weekend - typical.  I so want to get out into the garden and run a couple of my steamers.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

More bright sunshine, seems odd that only a week ago we were in a mixture of occasional sunshine (just as bright) which rapidly turned to murk and raging blizzards - travel broadens your weather experience it would seem.   And after two nights of remembering to take my statins only to have them followed by appallingly nasty leg cramps in the small hours I am off them again and had some Diurolyte instead - instant result last night, no cramps and an undisturbed night for me and my cramp masseur (Mrs Stationmaster), I shall see what the chiropractor makes of it all later today.

Far too knackered yesterday to do more than one addition to my tales of the north but hopefully more will be added today with the delights of Tromso in the snow and Honningsvag as well plus some 'scenic views' probably, all a distinct improvement on Trondheim.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 1

Thought for the morning: What do you make of someone with a badge on his jacket which has the following written on it?

Equally concerning is seeing a child wearing this on her tee shirt:

"If you think I'm a b***h, you should see my mother. "

• RMweb Gold

If I wanted to eat outside in the evening here I would have to douse myself with one of those contact insecticides and light the citronella flares as there are a lot of mosquitoes around. A mild damp winter seems to be good for biting insects. Hopefully not mild enough for the malarial mosquito to return (known as Pitsea Ague in earlier times).

We are now not going to view Land Rovers as they don't actually have anything I'd be interested in at the "Special Weekend Event".

I think I may be encouraged to help in the garden but I may find myself drifting towards the garage and the trains.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They don't understand English but the person who purchased the jacket for them does?

Saw Polar Bear in garden, thoughtfully chewing on the remains of a small dog. What goes on through a bear's mind at such times? Accidently amputated  the middle finger on my right hand. Thank God I can still play guitar. The wife said that local drivers would be pleased. Caught the plague. Time for shower!

18C today and Sunny all day! Hooray!

Best, Pete.

PS The last part is true....

Edited by trisonic

Saw Polar Bear in garden, thoughtfully chewing on the remains of a small dog. What goes on through a bear's mind at such times? Accidently amputated  the middle finger on my right hand. Thank God I can still play guitar. The wife said that local drivers would be pleased. Caught the plague. Time for shower!

Best, Pete.

I'll have 3 pints of what he's drinking please. :drink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Everyone can aspire to be an A**hole (or a b***h)

Only the chosen few achieve it.

Edit: some can even get the number of asterisks correct first time.

Edited by BoD

Equally concerning is seeing a child wearing this on her tee shirt:

"If you think I'm a b***h, you should see my mother. "

"Genuinely shocked". That reflects well on some sections of society... not. Maybe I'm just getting old(er)... If I spotted either of my kids with a similar slogan, I'd have to reach for the scissors and then no doubt would pick up 2014's "worst parent" award.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, what a gorgeous one too, glad to see that Spring is being enjoyed by most, in my book the best time of the year.

I have to admit to not having been in the land of the living for too long. Bit of a late one last night as yesterday was the day I've been looking forward to for a while being the first trip out on the mainline as part of a support crew. Two days prepping the thing, it positively gleamed and was as mechanically sound as we could make it, then a day yesterday roaming the Kentish rails.

Down to Canterbury where we serviced it then back to London via Dover and Folkestone. So many things to reflect on, being on the footplate of a Bulleid Pacific at 75mph, the white cliffs of Dover, the exhilaration of mile after mile of high speed steam running, the magical return into London just as the sun was setting and the lights were coming on...oh, and the sheer hard work that goes into such a trip, both before and on the day.

I've got a few more in the diary, hopefully it will expand the memory banks so that when the dotage finally kicks in full time I will be able to look back and perhaps relive what for me is turning into a golden part of my life...mind you I sometimes struggle to remember what I did last week so fingers crossed on that one......

edit (lots)..I appear to have some biscuit crumbs stuck under the laptop keys... 

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I've got a new car!!!!!!

Not really but I bit the bullet and notwithstanding knee and other assorted pains and a deep hatred of car washing I've actually been and gone and done it!. I must admit that it was in a disgusting state covered in all sorts of grime from here and around the world, paw prints from assorted neighbourhood felines and also the results of a bombing raid by the local avian community. It now looks so good I've decided to keep it for a while.

Off shortly to collect Mrs GB and replenish the stores with her....  assist with the shopping.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

My three tee-shirt tales, which may have been posted previously:

Deb, most out of character, had bought a tee which had, in funny bobbly letters "This tee-shirt is in braille. Please read gently", which was a bit of an invitation, especially on a seriously bosomy torso. I think it came from a restaurant in London SW, called something like Borscht & Tears?

My least favourite young carriage cleaner at Dartford "I am a virgin - but this is an old tee-shirt". Her demeanour suggested it must have been very old.

A French girl, maybe 13, maybe not "Canadian girls kick ass!". Other nations' sexual preferences are not best announced by one so young.