The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

OK folks a couple more photos  to be going on with...Council Bluffs Museum (?) 

I've never seen a photo of a US loco with what appears to be smoke deflectors? 

Me thinks some more research is called for.  Anyway GF says she's fallen in love with the Big Boy !!!! 

Stay Good,

Trev.

Union Pacific FEF-4 by the look of it - they all had 'elephants ears' as they call them.  Google UP 844 - still runs, was never withdrawn.  Oh, edit, UP Challengers (4-6-6-4) had them too, sometimes.

The Delaware & Hudson also had some locos with deflectors IIRC, and I'm sure there was another - Wabash?

Edit again - Big Boy?  I wish..... :cry:   :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Edited by New Haven Neil

It might be worth looking on Checkatrade (http://www.checkatrade.org/)

Maybe you can find someone who is more reliable?

Robert, thanks for the suggestion - I did put in a search for Roofer in post code CA27, and the nearest I got was in Morecambe (ie about 2 hours away!).  This is one of the problems of being 'out in the sticks'.

Morning, peeing it down here.

Dubai, Baz - another place I'll be happy never to see again!  Used to join ships there, recall going from a miserable September day in Geordieland to 40+c in a few hours - then being in a ships engineroom at over 50c the next day!  Urgh.  Then up to some god-forsaken gas plant in the middle of nowhere.  Urgh again.

78 sleeps to go.

My father used to count them as "wake ups", I think it was from his army days...it's become a standard in our family now for all events, especially those we're looking forward to :)

• RMweb Premium

We have a 'word of the day' in the office - we often have to google!  The game is then to work the word into a pre-sentencing report for a 'client'.  One of the probation officers is a marvel at this!

Pernicious would be easy though, given our 'client group' !! :butcher:

• Like 2

Morning all, welcoming hump day - it's already 8, sunny and narry the sight of a "pernicious breeze", rather mostly tranquil  bucolic  pastoral  calm right now, heading for 23! Then again, they do say we might get a final light snow storm early next week <sigh>

In the "stroke of luck department" - some may recall my issue with a new Bachmann 9F I had. Bachmann referred me to a this-side-of-the-pond dealer/service agent in Canada. Tony Potter of "British Model Trains" (nice guy and a good dealer/source for Hornby/Bachmann over here), looked and he hadn't seen such an issue before, contacted Bachmann for suggestions with the photos I sent, they're going to forward parts to me to effect a repair myself to save some postal costs - just hope I can successfully dismantly all the valve gear and get it back together correctly...

ANYWAY, the "stroke of luck"... on looking at what Tony had available, including some pre-owned items, he had a secondhand Hornby R2385 "Winston Churchill" NRM edition in box for a very good price! It's NOW winging its way to me - compared to what I've been seeing on eBay it's a GREAT BARGAIN, and I've been looking/watching for ages to try and get one at an affordable rather than silly prices that are prevalent on eBay for this loco. Bonus is that I can support a more local business instead of an eBay shark.

Therefore the 9F issue has actually been a blessing it seems - YAY! Win one for me :locomotive:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

You won't want that City of Wells now, will you...... :no:

Can't do a disagree and smile at the same time <sigh> ;)

I actually will now have BOTH the air smoothed locos I really wanted. Not sure I need more than two, but also think more than one is vital :senile:

Be nice if the "Winston Churchill" was DCC ready as the "City of Wells" is. Then I'd not have to decide what decoder to use. My preference is for TCS, either the DP2X-UK or for non-DCC ready I've been using the T1. From what I can tell, the T1 probably won't fit, so I'm in a quandry.

Either the TCS M1 or the Digitrax DN135D. The digitrax seems to have all the same features (mostly prefer BEMF) and is $10+ cheaper. Not used them before but the two are the most used decoder brands over here.

• RMweb Premium

I've had nothing but bad luck with digitrax, run-aways etc. Odd because no-one else has any bother, but all three I had have done it, they are binned now.  No toehr decoder make has ever run-away on my layout, I have just about tried them all.

Morning all, welcoming hump day - it's already 8, sunny and narry the sight of a "pernicious breeze", rather mostly tranquil  bucolic  pastoral  calm right now, heading for 23! Then again, they do say we might get a final light snow storm early next week <sigh>

In the "stroke of luck department" - some may recall my issue with a new Bachmann 9F I had. Bachmann referred me to a this-side-of-the-pond dealer/service agent in Canada. Tony Potter of "British Model Trains" (nice guy and a good dealer/source for Hornby/Bachmann over here), looked and he hadn't seen such an issue before, contacted Bachmann for suggestions with the photos I sent, they're going to forward parts to me to effect a repair myself to save some postal costs - just hope I can successfully dismantly all the valve gear and get it back together correctly...

ANYWAY, the "stroke of luck"... on looking at what Tony had available, including some pre-owned items, he had a secondhand Hornby R2385 "Winston Churchill" NRM edition in box for a very good price! It's NOW winging its way to me - compared to what I've been seeing on eBay it's a GREAT BARGAIN, and I've been looking/watching for ages to try and get one at an affordable rather than silly prices that are prevalent on eBay for this loco. Bonus is that I can support a more local business instead of an eBay shark.

Therefore the 9F issue has actually been a blessing it seems - YAY! Win one for me :locomotive:

Tony is a good chap. Picked up a few things from him in years gone by at the Great British Train Show in Brampton. Probably a bit far for you but if you can make it well worth the trip. http://www.theplatelayers.org/gbts2014/2014flyer.html

I've had nothing but bad luck with digitrax, run-aways etc. Odd because no-one else has any bother, but all three I had have done it, they are binned now.  No toehr decoder make has ever run-away on my layout, I have just about tried them all.

Neil, what DCC system do you use? I'm using the NCE PowerCab, and far as I've read haven't seen any issues NCE/Digitrax, that's why I thought I might give it a try!

Tony is a good chap. Picked up a few things from him in years gone by at the Great British Train Show in Brampton. Probably a bit far for you but if you can make it well worth the trip. http://www.theplatelayers.org/gbts2014/2014flyer.html

Thanks Andrew - yeah, seems like a really nice chap, had a long chat with him last Friday.

As you know, this continent is rather too large to effectively get to anything "too far away".

It's far enough I'd really have to fly, unless I want to spend a couple of days driving... and Mrs would do her biscuit if I was to suggest I'd be going to a "train show" in Canada for a weekend ;)

• RMweb Premium

Neil, what DCC system do you use? I'm using the NCE PowerCab, and far as I've read haven't seen any issues NCE/Digitrax, that's why I thought I might give it a try!

I use a Lenz Set 90 Ian.  It's rather old now, I have had it since they came out when men were real men in caves with clubs. I have decoders from Lenz, TCS, Soundtraxx, QSI, ESU, Zimo, Hornby, Bachmann, and probably others I have forgotten!  Only Digi have run away - one even when the layout was standing unused but powered up, so no chance of it being due to a short or something.

Thanks Andrew - yeah, seems like a really nice chap, had a long chat with him last Friday.

As you know, this continent is rather too large to effectively get to anything "too far away".

It's far enough I'd really have to fly, unless I want to spend a couple of days driving... and Mrs would do her biscuit if I was to suggest I'd be going to a "train show" in Canada for a weekend ;)

SWMBO and I did the trip from Calgary to Brampton twice. First time we flew the layout via Air Canada. The second time we drove 2 layouts in our mini van. Loads of fun. We were hoping to go this year, sans layout but life conspired to get in the way.

Union Pacific FEF-4 by the look of it - they all had 'elephants ears' as they call them.  Google UP 844 - still runs, was never withdrawn.  Oh, edit, UP Challengers (4-6-6-4) had them too, sometimes.

The Delaware & Hudson also had some locos with deflectors IIRC, and I'm sure there was another - Wabash?

Edit again - Big Boy?  I wish..... :cry:   :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

The New York Central had few classes with smoke deflectors.

Actually I've often wondered just how effective they really were? After all why did they not fit them to everything? Ask the GWR perhaps?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the previous post - it might be "too model railway" for an ER post. Hope I don't offend anyone ;)

Can't do a disagree and smile at the same time <sigh> ;)

I actually will now have BOTH the air smoothed locos I really wanted. Not sure I need more than two, but also think more than one is vital :senile:

Be nice if the "Winston Churchill" was DCC ready as the "City of Wells" is. Then I'd not have to decide what decoder to use. My preference is for TCS, either the DP2X-UK or for non-DCC ready I've been using the T1. From what I can tell, the T1 probably won't fit, so I'm in a quandry.

Either the TCS M1 or the Digitrax DN135D. The digitrax seems to have all the same features (mostly prefer BEMF) and is $10+ cheaper. Not used them before but the two are the most used decoder brands over here.

Ian,

You might be worrying unduly about resitting your English GCSE!

From the above, your Double Dutch is first class honours degree material.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Like has been ticked but  the box for stroke of genius does not exist:  Although  I'd probably have waited until Monday morning to tell them I was taking my annual leave entitlement.

That would have meant  going to work on my annual leave. Actually I did go in for another 2 weeks, and was paid in lieu of my leave so to all intents and purposes I was paid double for my last 2 weeks working.

• Like 2