The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, peeing it down here.

Dubai, Baz - another place I'll be happy never to see again!  Used to join ships there, recall going from a miserable September day in Geordieland to 40+c in a few hours - then being in a ships engineroom at over 50c the next day!  Urgh.  Then up to some god-forsaken gas plant in the middle of nowhere.  Urgh again.

78 sleeps to go.

• Like 5

I seem to recall seeing a Tv. documentary about an historic loco in Omaha being hauled (by road and not without great difficulty) up onto a hilltop for display.....Perhaps that`s the one?

Monster Moves? I seem to remember that one. It was all rather bizarre and featured a choir singing a song about hauling a train up a hill... Perhaps I'd just had too much to drink.

• RMweb Premium

I retired 6 years ago, you should have seen the expression on the HR managers face when I reminded him that I had amassed 6 weeks annual leave, on the Friday before the commencement of my last 6 weeks. :acute:  :derisive:

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

Like has been ticked but  the box for stroke of genius does not exist:  Although  I'd probably have waited until Monday morning to tell them I was taking my annual leave entitlement.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another bright and sunny morning. Yesterday was cooler with a pernicious breeze, but I had a couple of sessions mowing, so gradually we step forward to a smarter garden and frontage.

Obviously I'm hoping Richard's eye op goes well. It is at least a familiar procedure, which gives confidence.

Trev's Big Boy reminds me a time about 20 years ago, when I lent a video of that name to a colleague. He was ex-Merchant Navy - and could tell plenty of laddish tales to put you off your breakfast - but clearly Big Boys had a connotation unconnected with steel wheel on steel rail....

Need to nip up to the mairie today to get some recycling sacks - only approved yellow ones will be collected from our gate. I also am not happy with something in the Skoda's steering, so may well drop in on the garage for a view. If they fix it I may be able to sell it to Richard for his daughter. I don't need two cars, actually.

Hope your week is going well.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, dry with sunshine forecast for later, one of the good bits about my last few weeks before retiring was attending the planning meetings.

Agreeing and voting for certain things to be done knowing that I would not be involved was fun!

Ie

"Eh excuse me but I think oursales projection for this product is a bit on the low side surely we can expect another million or two by doing etc etc"

Hilarious

In my last week don't think I did anything but drink coffee and chat.

Standard op Richard you will be fine I'm sure.

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 1

Well p*ssed off today.  Roofer called yesterday afternoon to say that he was coming to do some long awaited work on my roof and would be here by 09.00, so I took a couple of hours off work to get him sorted when he arrived.  Now he phones and says he might be here later today, if not some other time this week.  I have come to the conclusion over the years that there isn't one single reliable tradesman in the whole of West Cumbria!  They act like they are doing you a favour in coming to do your job.  I will see if they like their payment being delayed in the same way!

Rant over!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Fingers well & truly crossed for Richard's eye job.  And the joys of leaving - the bloke in HR (as the Staff Office was by then called) in my final big railway job told me the date on which I would be leaving, no choice in the matter and it took him 6 months to come up with it.  So at that juncture I very gently reminded him that I had nearly 40 days leave outstanding which I had been unable to take due to sickness and I would expect payment for those 8 weeks to be added, very transparently initially but then included in the total figure I was being given to go away - very long look on his face, ultimately a big smile on mine.

The West Berkshire 'community hospital' was not a wonderful place - near useless map of how to get there, atrocious signing once there, sat for 45 minutes after my appointment time and was then called for a hearing test at which juncture I pointed out that I'd already had one (which was one reason I was there!), it then took nearer 20 minutes than 15 for the woman to return to tell me I didn't need one!  And about 10 minutes later having moved seats once because of what I was told to do I was called in by someone standing near where I had originally been seated before being told to move.  After all that the consultant was pretty good although he did have to borrow a stethoscope to listen to my head and he had a very nice tuning fork thingy which was held against various places on my head - back in X months for another hearing test but at least I'll know where the car park is next time, probably.

More Norwegian pics will appear today and they will include railway lines (but don't worry Debs - there were no trains involved).

Have a good day one and all

Morning all from the sunny boring borough. Looks to be a quiet day and things so far are looking good. More documentation review, so probably sit in the sun again. Back from my trip into the city for the chiropractor visit. More spinal origami and I'm good for another 3 weeks. Man flu more or less subsided finally but my throat is still very sore. All the online quackery sites are suggesting tonsillitis. Fair enough, my GP from literally the second I was born until he retired just after my 35th never believed in removing tonsils unless absolutely necessary. In those days in Canada if you coughed twice most doctors had them chopped out before your third cough. I think I was the only one in school that still had them by the time I was 14.

On the modelling front I'm actually getting some work done. Started changing the layout from a roundy portable to a squished figure 8 double deck permanent thingy in the shed. That means I've got 4 surplus module frames that I now plan on modifying to the RS Tower Fremo standards. I've been up and down about doing this but the more I play with seriously operate the existing layout, the more I want something extra out of it. The modules would be a good starting point to add some industries for switching or to just have something quickly up and running while I add the additional 80' of running line to join the original bits back together. Lots of possibilities and options to look at still.

Richard: good luck with the mince pies.

edit:

Simon: we've had good luck with the Rated People website. Each and every tradesman we've hired from there has done what was asked, at the agreed price, and when they said they would.

To all, have a great day. Its Wednesday. Half way through the week already.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Just to lighten the mood and provide some entertainment here are a couple of preliminary pics from one of the highlights of our trip north - dog sledding day.  In the first Mr & Mrs Stationmaster are duly ensconced in the sled - the dog is not eating my arm but as the lower pic shows we had become good friends, I think.

A note on sartorial matters - I was wearing a warm shirt, a fleece jacket, a very warm ski-ing jacket, fleece trousers, a beanie hat and a ski mask - then the overall blue suit you see in the pic; it was quite a cold day!  Note also the 'traction tyres' on the brown dog, apparently his paws don't grip well on ice so he has these to help him.

post-6859-0-17230700-1397038188_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-32409800-1397038255_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just to lighten the mood and provide some entertainment here are a couple of preliminary pics from one of the highlights of our trip north - dog sledding day.  In the first Mr & Mrs Stationmaster are duly ensconced in the sled - the dog is not eating my arm but as the top pic shows we had become good friends, I think.

attachicon.gifDSCF0956.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0953.jpg

Beware of the yellow snow. It's not lemonade flavour.  :jester:

OK folks a couple more photos  to be going on with...Council Bluffs Museum (?) 

I've never seen a photo of a US loco with what appears to be smoke deflectors? 

Me thinks some more research is called for.  Anyway GF says she's fallen in love with the Big Boy !!!! 

Stay Good,

Trev.

post-4282-0-34970200-1397040762.jpg

post-4282-0-15077300-1397040860.jpg

• Like 8

Well p*ssed off today.  Roofer called yesterday afternoon to say that he was coming to do some long awaited work on my roof and would be here by 09.00, so I took a couple of hours off work to get him sorted when he arrived.  Now he phones and says he might be here later today, if not some other time this week.  I have come to the conclusion over the years that there isn't one single reliable tradesman in the whole of West Cumbria!  They act like they are doing you a favour in coming to do your job.  I will see if they like their payment being delayed in the same way!

Rant over!

It might be worth looking on Checkatrade (http://www.checkatrade.org/)

Maybe you can find someone who is more reliable?

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, but shouldn't the dogs have been at the front, Mike?

Here is a view, from the sled and taken by Mrs Stationmaster, of the system in operation and taken just before we descended to a much smoother run on the frozen surface of Langfjord. I didn't take any pics as I was providing steering assistance by leaning into corners, and we went round some of them rather rapidly including getting the back end drifting out on a couple of occasions; all very exhilirating.

post-6859-0-23478500-1397042009_thumb.jpg

• Like 9