The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright sunshine here so it's probably a bit nippy - have to delve out my fluffy lined trousers if I spend any time outdoors as they seemed to work a treat 'in the far north'.  Have to get sorted shortly as I'm off to see an ENT consultant at Thatcham Community Health  Centre, only hope it's got a better car park than the RBH;  I'm being seen about my tinnitus which is, it seems, 'interesting' because i can turn it off in one ear but not the other.  I only hope the bloke is not put off by the lingering remnants of the cold sores I suddenly sprouted just before we left for Bergen, nasty things which I've never had before but which are gradually going thank goodness (yes, I know the cause never leaves, grrr).

For those interested in our adventures in the north I have started a separate thread which already includes pics not posted here and which will no doubt gradually grow as I get pics and themes sorted - thanks to lots of bracketed exposures i had almost 3,000 images on the Pentax plus c.250 on the Fuji compact so work to do.  The thread, should you be interested in such things as very weird pointwork (yes, really), yet more views of Bergen and even the interior of our cabin, can be found here -  (I see that some of you have visited already and thanks for the 'Likes' and other interest -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84408-the-stationmaster-and-the-arctic-circle/

Have a good day one & all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

Morning all from the sun drenched tropical paradise of the boring borough. Man flu still winning. I've grown to hate the taste and smell of lemsip. Cough has subsided but my throat is still suffering and I've still got the general flu like aches and pains.

All Mostly quiet at work apart from where the project mangler assclown from the previous bit of work supplied my contact details for the customer as their support person during system testing. A couple of emails later including one from my 3rd level manager has resulted in said assclown now being able to f*rt in stereo. I think my manager is feeling a bit apologetic as he's authorised a shiny new laptop for me. Quad core i7, 16Gb ram 15.5" magnesium LED screen. All mod cons.

Today I shall be mostly reviewing technical system designs. That generally means laptop on the patio time as long as it doesn't rain. For all the ranting I do, sometimes the little fringe benefits make it seem worthwhile.

Stubby: perhaps something like a sign on the layout that says something along the lines of "despite the light hearted nature of this model its important to remember etc, etc."

Have a good one all. The siren's call of the coffee pot is too strong..................

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a balloon or something more sophisticated? We must be told.

Ed

The Spiderman plane comes with a foot pump to pressurise the reservoir. The aircraft body actually is the reservoir and wings are simply attached using an elastic band. The pressurised air empties through a cylinder which turns the propeller. Range and altitude are allegedly 100m. 

I'll report later on success/crashes!

• Like 6

Morning all from the sun drenched tropical paradise of the boring borough. Man flu still winning. I've grown to hate the taste and smell of lemsip. Cough has subsided but my throat is still suffering and I've still got the general flu like aches and pain.

Can you not get Buckley's in the UK? The cough and cold medicine that terrifies the nervous system into submission at the thought of a second dose.

Edited by pH

Can you not get Buckley's in the UK? The cough and cold medicine that terrifies the nervous system into submission at the thought of a second dose.

Not available in the UK but I do have a supply of it. Works great. One spoon and you are too scared sh**less to ever cough again. Not helping the throat or the aches though. It also tends to burn a hole through my stomach. Best taken with a Zantac. Or better still, gargled and not swallowed. Most likely I've ended up with a secondary infection so it will be antibiotics for a week come Thursday. For those that have never experienced Buckley's, its like liquefied forest with a good dollop of camphor oil mixed in. Sort of like drinking Vicks Vapo-Rub with a pine tree and juniper chaser.

• RMweb Gold

Good news and bad today!

The South Wales Game and Country show was rather wet and muddy. and for the first time in  a couple of years, I've had to scrub mud out of my rucksack, waterproofs and even my hat!

But it was a good show made even better by the coaching assessor signing me off on all my shooting assessments.  I just have to fill in all the relevant supporting documentation and I can send my portfolio off for verification.  It has taken me nearly three years, but has been great fun and I've met some very interesting people in the process, as well as making some very good friends.

Perhaps the best bit of it has been introducing children to air rifles in a safe and controlled environment.  The look of joy on their faces when then knock down the first target has got to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Of course the reality is that apart from the extra responsibilty, all I get is a little badge to wear on my jacket. :jester: 

The not so good news is some clouding in the bottom of my right eye.

I thought it was a temporary glitch when it started on Friday, but it has persisted, so I rang the acute referrals department at hospital, and heard the escalation of the problem between the medical staff at the other end of the phone, and  was asked to come straight in, but I explained about the problems of getting to Shrewsbury this morning, as I need to arrange transport both ways, so have been told to get in first thing this afternoon.  I suspect they are worried that it is a retinal tear.

So another round of mass dilation of the pupils as they poke around for a solution...............and it also bu99ers up  my focus for about 12 hours afterwards (hence the transport requirement)  Any hope of modelling activity today has now bee suspended.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A bright sunny morning, and Alison turned up to do her new 2 hour slot of gardening. Not long afterwards, a dark cloud came over Chateau OD, with the (expected) arrival of the cesspool inspector. A portly young woman looked at all my various plant and concluded much of it was not legal, which I had guessed a decade ago when we bought the place. Apparently I am expected to get a formal survey done, which will cost 300 euros, and then get an artisan in to provide estimates etc. Oh, and farmers are no longer allowed to pump out the effluent and put it on their land. Yeah, right. A bit of festina lente ("hurry slowly") will be going on here. In fairness, we'd been aware of new regs when we bought Chez Nous, so I suppose 10 years of deferral is quite good. OTOH a bit longer won't matter much, either, will it?

Hope there's less merde in your day!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It also tends to burn a hole through my stomach.

While I'm sure the substances are different, I used to get that from the good old British standby, Dr J Collis-Browne's Chlorodyne. I am wary of drinking spirits for the same reason.

• RMweb Gold

. Sort of like drinking Vicks Vapo-Rub with a pine tree and juniper chaser.

I was listening to Radio 2 while driving up to Leicester yesterday and there seemed to be a cold symptom alleviation theme. A lot of the suggestions seemed to involve attaching onions  to various parts of one's anatomy.

• RMweb Premium

The Spiderman plane comes with a foot pump to pressurise the reservoir. The aircraft body actually is the reservoir and wings are simply attached using an elastic band. The pressurised air empties through a cylinder which turns the propeller. Range and altitude are allegedly 100m. 

I'll report later on success/crashes!

Initial flight trials demonstrated that when it worked, it worked really well. T'was a bit blustery today, throwing the plane all over the place, and generally into the ground after a few seconds. This caused some of the plastic to break, but this can be fixed and reinforced with cellotape. 

Quite fun, but the children weren't really tall enough to launch the plane. Maybe it'll work better for them when the wind is calmer. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I was listening to Radio 2 while driving up to Leicester yesterday and there seemed to be a cold symptom alleviation theme. A lot of the suggestions seemed to involve attaching onions  to various parts of one's anatomy.

Doesn't that sting rather?

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon, was about to post this morning then a power cut which lasted about 2 hours apparently, I left before it was restored to have a browse around an auction room near us to have a gander at a grandfather clock before tomorrows actual auction.

The condition of the case itself would require restoring work to be done but the clock itself seems to be fine. After a lot of pondering I decided not to bid on this occasion, I had a good look around the place came across a box of old slr (film) camera bodies but no lenses. What would one do with those?

Amazing what "tat" was going to be auctioned which has got me thinking about putting a few odds and sods (non railway) in!!

Sunny here but windy at least its dry!

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 1

"..........the cesspool inspector..........."

Just when you thought that having to work a minimum-wage job was the worst it could get! :mosking:

I wonder if he was on pooformance related pay? post-2818-0-02022700-1396971441.gif

• Like 2