The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Nor am I.

Liar, 85 sleeps.........

Don't teach at Wellfield, do you BoD?

My sister went to A J Dawson's at well field....after she left some lads blew a hole in the centre of the rugby pitch with home made explosive.

...some of us went to a certain school on the headland in old Hartlepool

• RMweb Premium

That scene is so James Bond, Neil! :triniti:

When bored we would work out if we stole the ship, how many cigarette lighters we could fill with the 75,000m3 of butane and propane on board, then sell them and divide the money up.....

As promised earlier three photos of  ALP-45DP "Dual Mode" #4527 arriving at Fanwood Station an hour ago - it's the 4:04pm train heading west on the Raritan Valley Line, NJT.

post-9016-0-93104500-1396819539_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-74250300-1396819578_thumb.jpg

post-9016-0-51635000-1396819605_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the heat haze (!) and the fact that I had some focusing issues; this thing was moving...

It is a towering locomotive, very tall - the passenger cars are double deckers.

Best, Pete.

• Like 15

Thanks, Colin. The first one was difficult because the loco was silent at that distance and it appeared far faster than I expected - also I got the first one wrong in that the train is vertical; the second one is correct in that respect...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Sunday evenings are really pleasant when you are not fretting over your plans for work on Monday.

I have done absolutely no planning or marking this weekend and am really enjoying it.

I'm starting to look forward to retirement. I'm not at the stage of counting days yet, not even weeks but it's on the not too distant horizon - providing that they don't change the rules again. I must admit to not being one of those who say they want to continue working because they would be bored. I have too many interests and things that I want to do.

I wouldn't worry about it.  From what I've seen, as soon as your colleagues get a whiff of it, they will be counting down the days, hours, minutes...for you.   :D 

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Evening (?) all,

We have landed - at home - with an easy final stage to the journey by means of taxi from LHR (arranged in advance for us by the the good Doctor).  Final stage of the voyage was shrouded in a mixture of rain and fog and it was raining properly by the time we disembarked in Bergen, almost exactly 8 hours ago.  To help kill time we booked in for the round Bergen guided tour which was on a very comfortable coach with an excellent guide, really interesting and definitely better than sitting in the scrummage that was Flesland (for Bergen) Airport where the luggage system had collapsed in a shambolic heap and not really the world's best airport at the best of times, definitely not the best at the worst of times.  Flight was reasonably punctual but for some unfathomable reason Mrs Stationmaster's suitcase decided to appear on the carousel two containers' worth later than mine - yet another reminder of why I only took cabin baggage back in the days of my regular flights around Europe, definitely not a civilised way to travel!

Loads of things to do yet with pics such as sorting dates and places plus dumping the junk from the bracketed exposures etc but here is a little taster of the scene at around 71 North a week ago(ish) with a shot against the sun.  I'll try to start a separate thread for the pics of course but will no doubt post a few in here.

post-6859-0-14195700-1396824608_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Glad you enjoyed your trip, Mike – that kind of cruise to the northern climes is on my list of things to do some day, too...

Pete, thanks for those snapshots. Those air horns look like they're going to instil the fear of the Maker into any trespassers! I wonder if there may be a H0 scale model of these locos some day...

• RMweb Gold

Morning, 12c and heavy rain forecast for today which means some modelling time this afternoon should the forecast turn out to be correct.

Looking outside it looks correct.

Nice pics Pete!

Have a good day, now for breakfast !

• Like 1

Morning All,

It is a rather cloudy morning here - after a pretty reasonable weekend.  Saturday was overcast, but yesterday was bright sunshine.

Fortunately, both days were windless, which enabled us to get out into the garden and dismantle our old summer house and replace it with a shed.  The summer house was built out of fence panels by the previous owners of the house and was starting to get rather wobbly.  Given that we only used it for storage, a shed seemed the most logical way to go.

It was hard work building it though!  I ache all over this morning.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Raining and dull here,

I'm off to Leicester this morning to collect Matthew. I'll set off at about 10 hopefully avoiding rush hour traffic. I will check the traffic reports but I'll probably use the M25, M1 route.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a light grey skyscape out there. with light rain.... The scan yesterday was done quickly by a child who said he was a consultant his verdict 'nothing to worry about' which has taken a while to sink in but is a relief. DD2 is having the day off and catching up on sleep. Tonight I am off to Winchester to pick up Matthew and his computer back by about one am if the roads are clear. Have a good day all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather wet and damp here. Seeing as it is heading up the country I think few of us will escape it today. On Saturday I will be doing my bit as part of help and advice for the 16mmNGA at the National Show in Peterborough. We will make it a few days trip in the Motorhome so we need to get that ready.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Parts of Essex are really lovely, of course. Finchingfield comes to mind, but there are many, many other places, too.  

Agree! Born and bred in the county (the southern bit near Tony) but moved with work when I was in my early 20s. 

Dad was evacuated with his brother to a hamlet near Thaxted called Bardfield End Green. They went to school in Thaxted,  the younger of the two's school room was above the jail. 

They lived in a thatched cottage (see photo) adjacent to the cricket green. There were a handful of houses and a pub and backed on to wheat fields. 

I was taken to visit the family that put him up in the early 1970s ago and have a strong memory of a lovely cottage garden, and a combine harvester working the field at the back. I believe the long-time residents thought it was the beginning of the end wen the pub got a slot machine and a newly-arrived neighbour had a pool installed. 

You can't really see the thatched cottage as it's screened by hedge....but as I say, beyond was an amazing cottage garden filled with flowers and vegetable bed.

I guess being 8 miles from the end of Stansted's runway may make it less idyllic these days though! 

post-4299-0-25951400-1396855447_thumb.png

• Like 7

Morning all

A great spring day yesterday, rain forecast all day today but still dry just now.

The Raid II preview? Some amazingly choreographed kung-fu fight scenes (plenty of those), a superb car chase with new twists, but film also very gory and too long at close to 150 minutes. Almost Tarantino-esque with its use of gunshot-gore, the film's about an undercover policeman inside one of Indonesia's gangs and their rivalry with Japanese gangs trying to take over their turf.

Have a good day

Mal