The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Theoretically, yes - However the software doesn't make it particularly transparent.

When you click on "Reply" you get a new message subsection which appears underneath the old message - making you think that you are just sending a new message.  However, when the message is actually sent - the whole history appears.

As an old school Unix programmer, I prefer to work completely in ASCII text - then I know exactly what I am sending (or not)

When I and my partner were running the Britains Collectors Club back in the 90s we had to deal with a particularly pompous, jumped up, Sales Manager.  He was too ignorant (or weary) to generate new emails when offering us 'deals'   Consequently we would just scroll back to his exchanges with China over costs and deliveries and we got a somewhat undeserved reputation for being hard-nosed negotiators.

He was the 'whizz-kid' who came up with the direct sales idea for Britains, rationing deliveries and cutting discounts.  Within 18 months they were bought out by an American company when their figures went down the tubes.  Hmmmm, sounds familiar doesn't it............................

Have a good weekend folks!    I'm off to Gay Paree with Jane for a week, "April in Paris, tra la la la la............, etc., etc."

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have a good weekend folks!    I'm off to Gay Paree with Jane for a week, "April in Paris, tra la la la la............, etc., etc."

If you can't be motivated to propose in Paris - it'll never happen! Hope you have a wonderful time!

If you can't be motivated to propose in Paris - it'll never happen! Hope you have a wonderful time!

:O Zut alors!........dans la maison de votre grand-mère? :laugh:

où la plume de sa tante est plein de whisky!

I've been doing Battlefield Lecture Tours in France & Belgium for 30 years now and, I'm ashamed to say, I still can't speak French well.  I have though mastered the basics.  I have, I'm told, a very impressive Gallic Shrug, which conveys a multitude apparently, and I know if I'm asked, "Anglais?" to reply, "Non, Ecosse!"  (well, my ancestors are........)

Edited when I realised I'd totally failed to respond to Ian's suggestion.  I s'pose it's too late now to go to Bournemouth instead.........................

Edited by Adams442T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sun has broken through on Fraggle Rock, although the headlands still have clouds sitting on them.

Lunchtime took me ages, every street seemed to have someone on it that wanted to talk about me leaving.  I suppose I must be fairly well known in the job here after 9 years in this role and a few before that in a different government department. 

What is more surprising is they didn't all say thank (insert deity to choice) you're retiring!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two railway modeller fails for me today. My Bachmann green class 40 (D639) arrived and it worked perfectly and I had no trouble fitting a decoder so I won't be able to post that life as we know it will end due to a bit of over enthusiastic and inappropriate grease as on the earlier releases this year. The other fail was that I put a bus on my layout and didn't put it on the bridge by the station. It is fortunate that I don't have a blog or layout thread.

• RMweb Gold

Surely if you didn't put it on the bridge by the station it would just fall onto the tracks when you let go.

Just ignore me .... I'm demob happy.

Well, at least for two weeks and one day anyway.

But don't worry.... there's a list.

• Like 3

I just took this snapshot outside the Stasi Museum on Dittrichring. Is there not a touch of irony to this scene if you look closely at the pole?

Watching the Vopos.............how long ago that old world-order now seems! :whistle:

I find it`s ironic to note, that nobody had any answers with regards to ideological direction.......it seems now (with the benefit of several decades of 20/20 hindsight) that we/they all were wrong! :(

...Can't believe it is still so cold over with Ian A. By comparison we have tulips in bloom, clematis nearly so, rhubarb needing picking, Juneberry in flower...

Arrghhh...it'll be several WEEKS before we're that lucky <sigh> be lovely to see some tulips "in a garden" right now :)

So - already 2PM here, awoke to 8 inches of snow total, better than the potential 14 expected! Already been plowed out, taken Mrs for her eye-doctor checkup, had lunch in downtown Minneapolis and since the sun is now out and it's +2 all the pavement areas are already clear of the snow and almost dry.

About 30 minutes away from driving north - all predictions are that the roads are now pretty clear/passable/easier to drive than 6 hours ago - we'll be in Maple syruping country by 5 - YAY!! Then we get to eat, drink and sit by a warm fire in between bouts of collecting maple sap and boiling it down to make syrup. I'll see if I can get some pictures to share...

Friend doesn't have a wifi connection so limited internet access (don't want to be in his office on the PC instead of visiting with everyone) and I expect I'll post little if anything before Sunday evening our time... have a great weekend all :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Just sailing from Rørvik and onto the longest part of the whole trip between two ports as our next calling point is Trondheim in 9 hours time, and most of the time we will be in open sea (but not far from the coast).  We crossed a northbpound ship, MS Trollfjord, at Rørvik - huge great thing with a passenger capacity of 1,000 and 8 decks instead of our 7, it looked more like a floating block of flats than a ship, clearly one to avoid.

Definitely in the south now - clear skies (well near enough) since early afternoon and we've been going ashore today wearing shoes instead of snowboots after we'd had the best part of week having to wear the latter plus additional layers of clothing on several occasions.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Update from last night.

Regular readers may recall that I was advised to be tactful with MiL about menus. Well that wasn't necessary as she phoned Aditi this evening to discuss menus and basically to tell Aditi what Indian food to serve. Aditi very firmly told her that we aren't having Indian food,  it is two weeks away anyway and she is very aware of who is veggie, pesky or eats whatever they are given. I think sometimes MiL forgets that Aditi is 60 and quite capable of organising a meal (often by organising me to do it!).

Tony

• Like 5

Evening All,

Sorry to have been absent, but I have been "assisting" Mrs iD back to health (I don't do "Nursing"). She is now fully recovered and once more taking on the mantle of SWMBO. Life has been further complicated by the fact I have a love sick dog to manage. He's 2 years old, still has his nadgers and the recently implanted contraceptive chip has still has to "kick in" (according to the Vet it will take 4-6 weeks to be full effective, so 2 weeks or so to go). Yesterday he was off his food and, most unusually, ignored his much loved red ball and spat out his favourite dog treats! About the only normal thing Schotty is doing, is the taking over any sofa he is invited to share. Otherwise, he mopes around, nose in the air, sniffing for "available" young ladies.

All this has cut in to my modelling, I'm hoping that with Mrs iD taking on some dog walking duties this weekend, I'll be able to do some more work on CAMDEN LOCK.

Will comment further on all the interesting posts of the past few days tomorrow. Have a great evening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah, what is it with modern liners - no class, no style, just enormous chav-towers.  Is it my age?

I quite enjoyed my trip on one of the 20 deck cruise behemoths. Though the one we are likely to go on next will be relatively small! 

• RMweb Gold

Ah, what is it with modern liners - no class, no style, just enormous chav-towers.  Is it my age?

No - it's down to lack of taste and style on the part of the ship owners/operators and those of their clientel who think a ship should be like some sort of mobile upmarket theme park/'entertainment venue'/shopping experience/opportunity for a fashion parade rather than a means of transport that gives you a good view of the surroundings while enroute from A to B in an economical manner.  (And I'm now quite used to the MAK diesels bashing away one deck below my convertble settee/bunk).

I quite enjoyed my trip on one of the 20 deck cruise behemoths. Though the one we are likely to go on next will be relatively small! 

Me too, though it was less than a week.

Had a fake Pub on board which served a variety of British Beer - which was good. A classy French restaurant that you had to book and a brilliant cafeteria type affair that was open from 6:00am until 2:00am. The regular restaurants that you were supposed to go to were kind of  OK .

I enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching whales and even saw a rare, huge, Sunfish (Mola mola) basking on the surface (but you can do that on smaller vessels too, of course. I'd like to try that nextime).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

I think Mike has been somewhat 'spoiled' with his fascinating trips on the Patricia; being right-in there amongst all the buoy-tendering work, must feel to be a very much more engaged activity than cruising.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Sorry to have been absent, but I have been "assisting" Mrs iD back to health (I don't do "Nursing"). She is now fully recovered and once more taking on the mantle of SWMBO. Life has been further complicated by the fact I have a love sick dog to manage. He's 2 years old, still has his nadgers and the recently implanted contraceptive chip has still has to "kick in" (according to the Vet it will take 4-6 weeks to be full effective, so 2 weeks or so to go). Yesterday he was off his food and, most unusually, ignored his much loved red ball and spat out his favourite dog treats! About the only normal thing Schotty is doing, is the taking over any sofa he is invited to share. Otherwise, he mopes around, nose in the air, sniffing for "available" young ladies.

All this has cut in to my modelling, I'm hoping that with Mrs iD taking on some dog walking duties this weekend, I'll be able to do some more work on CAMDEN LOCK.

Will comment further on all the interesting posts of the past few days tomorrow. Have a great evening.

How does the contraceptive chip work? In my minds eye I have an impression of a huge boot coming out of nowhere and coming into contact with aforesaid nadjers. :jester:

I dunno we went to some interesting places like up The Bay of Fundy - highest tide range on the planet, I think, and Halifax. Nice city though a bit chilly even in July - I want a house just outside of the town........

Anyway to cheer our pal Ian up in Minneapolis:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

No - it's down to lack of taste and style on the part of the ship owners/operators and those of their clientel who think a ship should be like some sort of mobile upmarket theme park/'entertainment venue'/shopping experience/opportunity for a fashion parade rather than a means of transport that gives you a good view of the surroundings while enroute from A to B in an economical manner.  (And I'm now quite used to the MAK diesels bashing away one deck below my convertble settee/bunk).

Interesting observation. When the soon-to-be-Mrs iD and I were researching the Nile Cruise for our honeymoon, I noted that the smaller and more traditional the boat, the more expensive the cruise. IIRC the most expensive cruise was on a 20 berth "Murder On The Nile" vintage (or vintage style) boat.

Probably the only virtue of the gigantic floating gin palaces that now pass for cruise ships, is that they tend to manage moderately rough weather quite well.