The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ian, I can remember having a 1/32 Chaparral slot car. It had one of those clear plastic bodies that were painted from the inside out. As for jewellery, I don't buy it for Aditi, though I do get to be in an advisory capacity when she has narrowed it down to a couple of items.  She doesn't wear any rings and hasn't done so for about the last 30 years. 

Are yes, the acetate-ish days! GT models (Gordon Tapsell) and some firm at Brockley (Taylormade?), I think, although I'm a few years older than you, and such products & their producers are very come-and-go. On my last visit to Goodwood in 2003 for the Festival of Speed, I saw Jim Hall - the man behind Chaparral - standing on the steps of Goodwood House with the Earl of March. Surreal. One of these days I will find Deb's engagement and wedding rings. She hadn't worn either in 20 years, since developing dermatitis after heavy-cleaning a supermarket shelf without protective gloves being provided.

Got a good report (via phone) from the physio this morning (based on measurements I'd taken). Another day's measurements on Thursday and another conversation Friday.

The modelling's not getting done at the moment - just the organisation of the chaos surrounding it. Which will help.

Are yes, the acetate-ish days! GT models (Gordon Tapsell) and some firm at Brockley (Taylormade?), I think, although I'm a few years older than you, and such products & their producers are very come-and-go. On my last visit to Goodwood in 2003 for the Festival of Speed, I saw Jim Hall - the man behind Chaparral - standing on the steps of Goodwood House with the Earl of March. Surreal. One of these days I will find Deb's engagement and wedding rings. She hadn't worn either in 20 years, since developing dermatitis after heavy-cleaning a supermarket shelf without protective gloves being provided.

Got any big 7 litre McLaren's?

Do any "Fan" Chaparral's still exist?   I really miss missing Goodwood...er.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sun is shining - it looks as if spring is actually in the offing now....So what about the "predictions" that we were about to have the worst winter since 1963 or on some reports 1947. 

Apart from that, not a great deal happening here at present.

Regards to All

Stewart

Spent the last couple of days on my back, soldering wires to track and Tortoise point motors underneath ET.  Not a simple job as the distance to most solder joints is just outside my glasses focal length.  Not by much, but enough to slightly blur things.  Add in the danger of molten solder falling on bare arms or legs and having to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes, it's a real pain to spend more than an hour or two doing this.

After considerable work and something like 200 wires, I finally completed the goods loop and a loco moved under electrical power.  When I told my wife, I had actually got something running after all these years, her reply was "but it's only back and forth for a few feet"….

Why do we bother….:-)

Edited by gordon s

Remaining parts for the garage refurb prefabricated - just got to persuade swmbo to let me put the contents of the garage in the lounge on Friday. 

Actually I've got to persuade her to help me put the contents of the garage in the lounge on Friday! 

Meanwhile the sun is shining, Red Demon and mini bell mixed peppers have been sewn. 

Talking of sewing the Sewing Bee is on tonight, so wondering if I could do a bit more garage work tonight. 

2 trips to town today to help mum put her finances in order. Partial success with one bank who had put her account into a dormant state ready to distribute the funds to the exchequer. 

Quote: "Why did we do that? It was an ISA. No-one is expected to hover over their ISA. There you go - reactivated and would you like to upgrade to one with interest on it?"

Second bank asked for 2 items of id (passport and driving licence). Mum has neither. Utility bill would be ok?

Turn up an hour later with said paperwork and mum in tow...."Oh, you need more id than that says Bank Clerk #2. You'll have to come back later in the week with the Magna Carta, the original of the Declaration of Independence and your mother's Private Pilot's Licence/birthday telegram from the Queen."

It's about £6 petrol to drive to town and back each time. So, I'm thinking I'd need to invest hundreds of pounds myself too, in order to pay for the petrol! Grrr. 

Then again, did mum / dad ever complain about the cost or hassle of bringing me up? Nope, course not.

Best, Andy. 

Morning.... what a cruel temptress the weather is :nono:  Yesterday we hit 13 with partial cloud, today it's now -6 and snow/blowing snow <sigh>

Up where my daughter is in Grand Forks, ND, they had about 15 inches of snow and a blizzard all day yesterday with all the major roads closed, expecting 5 inches more today...

In Duluth, were son and Mrs are, Lake Superior is still solid ice far as they can see ( it's a BIG lake!! :) :) ), and they're probably going to get some cross-country skiing in, as it snowed overnight.

Snow here isn't expected to stay around too long, but it's gone and covered all the lawn I could see as reported yesterday.

Off to work with me, I'll check back later to see what progress there is with those having modelling time :senile:

Nearly twelve months ago we had a new kitchen. This left us with an almost new Cannon cooker with electric oven and gas cooker.  Could I give it away? Cancer charities, Heart Foundation, 'Sally' Army - none of them would touch it because it had a gas component. You would think I was offering them crack cocaine. I really don't understand what the problem is with gas appliances. If they are prepared to take electric items, why not gas? There is no more likelihood of their being a fault with gas as there is with electricity, and at least, if there was a problem,  you would probably smell it rather than simply touching something and going out with a bang.  I really can't understand why these charities don't have a tame 'Gas Aware' chap (or chapess) they can call upon to give things the 'once over' in the same way as electric items are PAT tested. Eventually, nearly twelve months later, I have found a Christian charity, that helps people back on their feet, who were pleased to take it. They were happy to take my son's old HP A3 printer as well which I couldn't bring myself to 'skip'.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Just sailed from Vardø after a spell ashore which was a mixture of sunshine, blizzard and freezing cold all the time - it will be interesting to see if the French woman who went for a swim (I have the pics to prove it) turns up for her reindeer steak tonight.  Reindeer two days on the trot for me as the alternative to last night's seafood feast was reindeer stew but at least I patted ruduolph on the nose this morning to make up for eating part of his cousin.

The Barents Sea is distinctly choppy but a quite long wave form so not too uncomfortable and I slept through it fairly well last night coming the other way - we are currently heading north west but Vardø has the interesting distinction of lying east not only of Leningrad but also Istanbul, the Norwegians seem quite proud of their various xxx most things.

Dog sled ride was superb although very bumpy in places on the land bit, the frozen fjord was much smoother; the dogs are Siberian Huskies, quite lean and very friendly apart from seeming to have great fun towing us along.  We got a warm drink afterwards and a quick visit to the snow hotel which was quite interesting but distinctly on the nippy side but it has some fantastic snow and ice carvings - Chinese experts come over to do that so it's no wonder they're not busy making model trains when they could be earning Norwegian wages.

Enjoy the rest of your day - BTW the local April Fool was that we were told there were icebergs to starboard in Kirkenes harbour, didn't quite work as they are forever confusing Port & Starboard.  Oh and dare I mention it but the 'bus to the dog sledding took us alongside the Kirkenes iron ore railway - no trains were seen and the photos were not helped nby snow on the 'bus window.

Enjoy the rest of your day one & all.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This just landed from our researcher....explains a lot!

Victor Meldrew Syndrome kicks in at 52

You don't have to be drawing your pension to be a grumpy old man - Victor Meldrew Syndrome kicks in at 52. Research has found that as a nation we are losing our sense of humour earlier. And when it comes to enjoying a good laugh, things are "all downhill" from our early 50s.

As infants we laugh aloud as many as 300 times every day, but that drops to four times as we reach adulthood - and just 2.5 times when we hit our 60s. And men turn into miserable, moaning Meldrews faster than women, with four times more males in their 60s admitting to a researcher that planning their retirement takes up far more of their time than enjoying themselves.

We enjoy laughing at other people's misfortunes - especially teenagers. But in our 50s this is only mildly amusing and it will only raise a laugh among 5% of over-60s. Dr Lesley Harbidge of the research team at Glamorgan University said: "We laugh twice as much in our teens as we do in our 50s and our findings suggest that it's all downhill from 52."

And the date is?

Nearly twelve months ago we had a new kitchen. This left us with an almost new Cannon cooker with electric oven and gas cooker.  Could I give it away? Cancer charities, Heart Foundation, 'Sally' Army - none of them would touch it because it had a gas component. You would think I was offering them crack cocaine. I really don't understand what the problem is with gas appliances. If they are prepared to take electric items, why not gas? There is no more likelihood of their being a fault with gas as there is with electricity, and at least, if there was a problem,  you would probably smell it rather than simply touching something and going out with a bang.  I really can't understand why these charities don't have a tame 'Gas Aware' chap (or chapess) they can call upon to give things the 'once over' in the same way as electric items are PAT tested. Eventually, nearly twelve months later, I have found a Christian charity, that helps people back on their feet, who were pleased to take it. They were happy to take my son's old HP A3 printer as well which I couldn't bring myself to 'skip'.

A neighbour offered me a toy pushchair...."No thanks, we've enough clobber already. Why not give it to a charity shop?"

"They won't accept it. Danger of children slicing their fingers off."

"How come the makers could put it on the market then?"

"Erm...."

It went in the bin marked destined for landfill.

Mind you I do have some sympathy with those retailing to the general public. My own company's insurance for Product Liability is horrendous, mainly driven up by the risk of selling to US customers. The reduction in the Trading Standards service hasn't helped. There was a time when they had experts on hand who you could talk to, get advice from, work with to build a reputation for doing "the right thing" in service and product safety, but whose other hat is to act as "adjudicators" for foreign claims against retailers. Now it's a website.

I often wonder how the various cottage industries producing small model rail items comply with the consumer regulations when selling abroad. I'm guessing the answer is "probably don't bother with them at all." 

Don't get me started on the effective trade barriers selling to Oz and SA. 

Rant over!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

We visited a house recently that has either Japanese toilets or in one case an British type loo with a Japanese toilet seat "add on". The thought I had when the main was one demonstrated was that having a thing in the pan that looks a bit like the first sighting of the Alien in the eponymous film isn't reassuring

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

While this interactive urinal approach is new to me, ISTR being suddenly confronted by poster advertising in a motorway service area urinal quite some years back. Since advertising pays for so much these days - including at least some of our benefits on here - I would have to regard these new things as a natural development, however noisome.