The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The only timepiece I have to adjust now is my watch. All clocks in the house are self adjusting but I've yet to see them perform the change.

the date was wrong on our clock which self adjusted a day early. Lovely wife got up at 5 by mistake as a result, not happy.

Morning all from the sunny beach resort of the boring borough.

Weekend work has been cancelled. Someone's head is on the block and I feel sorry for the guys that worked like mad working things over the past couple of days.

Today I shall mostly be ripping the cooker out to try and see why it died last night mid flight. Failing that it's off to a big box shop for a replacement. Was hoping to keep this one going until we redo the kitchen. Murphy strikes again.

Have a good one all. Or for any southern US folk, y'all!

• RMweb Gold

Unavoidable around London at any time on Fridays  - are there still lane closures around the M40, M1,  A1 junctions on the M25? If so they've been going on for a decade....maybe longer...

Good job it's warm enough for rain here - we're expecting 3" inches of precip' this weekend.  Which we could actually use as it is very dry now.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Best, Pete.

The works are M40 - M11 but the major issues were rubber necks, a broken down van caused miles and miles of tail backs and it was stopped on the shoulder! <shakes head>

Didn't get any tickets for Kate - had one opportunity and the ticketing website was so slow I had to give up so not a happy bunny.

Tired today so not doing much.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Premium

the date was wrong on our clock which self adjusted a day early. Lovely wife got up at 5 by mistake as a result, not happy.

Mine all operate by the radio signal from Rugby so I don't have any problems like that. The only problem is waiting for them to reset after installing a new battery.

• RMweb Gold

Chris had a very elderly aunt who used to sit up until 2.00AM to adjust her clocks "because the man on the telly said that's when they should be changed"  She could never be convinced otherwise!

• RMweb Premium

Car taxed for another year. Have to admit that the online system is simple and quick which is surprising for a .gov.uk enterprise. Busy sorting out kit before setting out to referee a Veterans football match. Given the two teams involved, I better find my copy of the Queensbury Rules!

• Like 2

Bright and blue here. Day of pottering. Recovery progressing well - can't believe that I'm feeling so well so soon, which is good. Sandy's had, first time in over a week, a good unbroken night's sleep so the rattiness has gone good humour has returned. Yesterday saw some of the pile on the dining table diminish, so modelling may get a look in later.

Have a good weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Rant Mode! Its my usual habit when I come down about 8 in the morning to switch the box on to get the weather news. This morning when I switched on the Breakfast Show had been replaced by the timing sessions for tomorrows Formula 1 GP! So no weather news. I'm sure there are more people interested in what the weather is going to be like than what colour racing car will be at the front of the grid.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just a quick visit, having watched F1 Quali from soggy, sad Malaysia, and then when I logged in I found a PM from a new-ish RMwebber suffering from cancer. As you might expect, I gave my reply to him priority over ERs!

Must ring MiL now, more later I hope.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mine all operate by the radio signal from Rugby so I don't have any problems like that. The only problem is waiting for them to reset after installing a new battery.

My radio signal clocks work well all year but the seasonal changes seem to exhaust the battery and they then need replacing. These are £9.99 clocks so I can't really complain!

I've got a non radio controlled clock on the mantlepiece. It is "brass" plated plastic and keeps poor time but my tutor group bought it for me in 1984 when I left to take up a new job. They must be in their mid-40s now!

Tony

• Like 2

Morning all

Now, do I go chasing Scots Guradsman or do I settle down to the papers, some modelling and the T20 game between England and Don's lot?

Answers on the back of a postcard to .......

I trust you mean the locomotive!  The last person I saw chasing Scots Guardsmen got arrested in St James' Park....................................

Last nights family 'do' went off famously!  I'd like to think it was due to my excellent curry & Naan breads, but I think it was actually Jane.  During the evening all the family took opportunities to get me on one side and say they thought she was lovely and how pleased they were for us both.

Youngest grand-daughter piped up in the middle of the meal, "So are you going to get married, Granpops?".   Dead silence followed!  Then Jane said, "I don't think so, I haven't asked him yet!"  Cue nervous laughter all round.

Er, it's not Leap Year this year is it.................................  :scared:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Rant Mode! Its my usual habit when I come down about 8 in the morning to switch the box on to get the weather news. This morning when I switched on the Breakfast Show had been replaced by the timing sessions for tomorrows Formula 1 GP! So no weather news. I'm sure there are more people interested in what the weather is going to be like than what colour racing car will be at the front of the grid.

It was on channel 80 on our TV - I did the same and then went hunting !

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, another day another shopping trip.. with a difference WE are going to the local model shop to see if they have a card model to finish of the shunty plank industrial scene! Apart from that shocker it is a bright sunny day another three weeks and I may be able to mow the grass, lawn is too good a description for it.

• Like 6

I trust you mean the locomotive!  The last person I saw chasing Scots Guardsmen got arrested in St James' Park....................................

Are you sure it wasn't Craven Cottaging or Swiss(h) Cottage?

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Youngest grand-daughter piped up in the middle of the meal, "So are you going to get married, Granpops?".   Dead silence followed!  Then Jane said, "I don't think so, I haven't asked him yet!"  Cue nervous laughter all round.

Er, it's not Leap Year this year is it.................................  :scared:

Just do it! If you're both eligible and delight each other, why not? You've already suffered a loss at the hands of the Grim Reaper - get some more quality time in while you can. Jane's response was spot-on - but then I always admire bright and ballsy women.

I keep asking, but the lady's married and that's that........

• Like 3

Oven sorted almost. Fried wire. When we bought the thing 5 years ago the original mains wiring from the old cooker was reused. Turns out it was just fractionally under spec. The old cooker came in under 12a. The current one is a double oven and can draw 17a. Eventually the cable just gave up. Strange the 13a fuse didn't go first. A proper 45amp cooker switch and some 6mm twin & earth was the cure. Just need help with fitting it back into the wall unit. That can wait. Now off to the pub.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

We are currently moored at Bodø - in the Arctic Circle at last and it feels a bit nippy in the town, which reminded us of Didcot in terms of the atmosphere and sense of place etc.  However no trains - we didn't see it as we were in the town and the place only gets about 8 of them a day as it's right on the end of the 'network', but it does have quite a few ships and an airfield with lots of hardened aircraft shelters (which look to be out of use). The weather has turned very cloudy alas so chances of seeing the Northern Lights are not good, but fingers remain crossed.

Fortunately my carefully calculated time for crossing the Arctic Circle was 34 seconds out - the best bit of the prize for getting the correct or nearest time was the house flag the ship was flying at the time, the second best bit was a glass of schnapps after the worst bit, the worst bit was Neptune emptying a ladle full of cold water and ice down your back.  Fortunately all the people nearest the correct time had taken care to place towels on it so watching the winner receive her worst part was quite entertaining, and with windchill of about -5.  I reckon they'd all been on the 'net to get the answer as they all seem to have laptops or ipads and they were all very close to the correct time (closer than my 34 seconds adrift).

We sail shortly towards the Lofoten Islands and then thread some interesting fjords but that will be after dark - we get them in daylight coming south.  Be interesting to see if Mrs Stationmaster's clock self-adjusts tonight, I'll just move my watch forward another hour, second time this week.

Be good and have a good weekend.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

BoD, on 29 Mar 2014 - 07:10, said:

Morning all

Now, do I go chasing Scots Guradsman or do I settle down to the papers, some modelling and the T20 game between England and Don's lot?

Answers on the back of a postcard to .......

Back from doing the Tr**n thing - chasing Scots Guardsmen, it seems, as indeed we spotted one - on the shelf in the Conwy Museum shop.  :D    We left it there, by the way, not our region. :no:

Had lunch in their carriage and bought some "summer grass" (a whiter shade of pale than I've already got) - well, it will be "grass" when it's chopped to a suitable length, bunched up appropriately, and stuck down. Just need a day when I feel up to the challenge - when I'm brimming with patience and not all fingers and thumbs. :laugh:

Amazingly, the sun was shining warm and bright further inland. Still misty out here in the west.

Polly

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening, sat with a well deserved glass of Merlot,a lovely day weather wise which has been spent cleaning all the flags and lawn mowing . Not sure why but the flags this year were really dirty compared to previous years, must be the rain we have endured over the winter

Still good light here and with clocks changing tonight it bodes well for daylight now until seven and onwards.

Cheers (yep another glass poured)

Alan

• Like 2