The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Family descending tonight for one of Granpops Special Curries at the request of the grand-kinder.  Made a Keralan Chicken Stew last night, so just some Achari Bindi and Naan Breads to make today.  Can't stand those sour wet things they sell in supermarkets as Naans, besides which you can make 16 -20 for the price of 2 from Sainsbury.  

I'm a bit nervous as it will be the first time the whole tribe has met Jane, though probably not as nervous as she will be.  Don't really envisage any problems though as she is the gentlest, kindest and most delightful person I have ever known.  (Besides which I have heard that those she has met have posted very positive reports on the family bush telegraph!)

Don't worry - she is your choice and not theirs - and if they aren't happy - tough, you are!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Got to the head of the internet caff queue but got the one with the grotty keyboard which doesn't even work in Norwegian, hence some weird punctuation.  Anyway seems I can't leave you lot alone for a couple of days - someone has got half the inhabitants of Sodor in a tizz with no doubt the Fat Controller expected at any minute to offer him a huge payrise, another seems to have taken tpo wearing stockings (are they seamed John? ) while Ian has had all laid bare it would seem.  So the best of luck to all of you and wishing you all you wish yourselves as they say on the Emerald Isle. - go for it folks.

Here on the briny we have just left Trondheim enroute for Rørvik and earlyih tomorrow a.m. we are booked to cross the Arctic Circle, with a competition to guess what time that will happen, I have duly calculated running times and will no doubt be well wrong as a result of applying a measure of science instead of guesstimation.  In the meanwhile the clear sunny weather continues although we did see lying snow right down to sea level in Tromso Fjord and heaps of it in the town and water spilt watering the ship froze very quickly.

Hope things are improving for Dave down Brizzle way, and enjoy the rest of your day one & all.  (Now moved to the keyboard which works almost properly and in Norwegian).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A grey start to the day has started to brighten and the sun is out now. A new grass arrived in the post yesterday which I've installed in a 3' high vase on the raised bed. The theory is it'll grow as high as the top of the trellis behind it and wave around in the breeze with a backdrop of clematis Rebecca and rose Graham Thomas. 

One more plaster board panel fitted this morning. What should have been a 15 minute job took far longer when dopey here realised the baton to which the panel was to be fixed was a good 2 inches out of position. Now approaching the bit where significant detritus has to be moved to access the last wall that needs fitting out. In theory there are only some 4 panels left to fit but single-handed it's quite hard going....

Ferry tickets booked for our long weekend on the continent in May.  

Afternoon all,

Mrs iD collected from the hospital, back home and on light duties for the next few days (no goggle box, little reading, NO computer use, no strenuous exercise...). The HM, oblivious to the mayhem he's caused, was overjoyed to have his "boss lady" back.

I know all about the sartorial embarrassment of anti-thrombotic stockings, but you can get quite nice ones (bespoke at bespoke prices). Having had a DVT in the past (long story), I can now only travel long haul IF I wear such things. Fortunately, I had a pair made for me (I chose black) and they look like normal knee-length sheer socks. Any trip over 5 hrs in a plane and I wear them. Quite comfy too.

Congratulations to Neil on his new job. How long had you been looking? I've been searching now for 3 years, with no luck, but when I do go, I don't know whether to tell my (by then former) employer about everything that's wrong about the company and the leadership, or just smile enigmatically and say "no comment" to all their exit interview questions....

Enjoy the sun.

iD

At least with all the panic this morning I managed to slip out of the conference call long enough to snag tix to see the Goddess Kate Bush in Sept.

Many congrats, Andrew. Thought I had a couple only to find they'd slipped away in the time it took to enter my card number. Never mind - should be a fab show

Mal

eh up!

Minnesota awoke sunny and clear at -2 and we're going for +2 today, +7 tomorrow and +16 Sunday! Give it a couple of weeks and we may even see some green :)

Happy day here as I have decided to still take the day off, even though I won't need to lay a laminate floor. I will be assisting in some kitchen work as planned even so, but the BONUS will be I might get some modelling in.

Wishing the best outcomes for everyone going through challenging times. Ian, I've found good/honest/caring folks to be supporting in the most trying of times and in my brief time here in ER, realise this crowd are as supporting and caring as they come. Neil, having moved on (often not by choice, but lay-offs) a few times myself, I think you'll enjoy the freedom and release it will bring and will be happier for it. iD, keep the Mrs in check "for her own good", as Delboy would say "you know it makes sense".

John, also had a spell with those "fashion statements" under similar circumstances - Mrs was convinced I only "looked a BIT like a prat" :) Endur and enjoy, stake out the sofa corner and keep a ready supply of tennis balls ;)

Have a good start to the weekend folks, POETS day has arrived, and I don't even have to POE - har har....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

iD, it was an opportunity offered to me......it links in with something I have already done as a cottage industry for some time.  Together with my increasing unhappiness with the very senior management here, the decision made itself.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ian, I have been laid off, taken menial jobs, got better positions, almost got laid off again and took a re-training opportunity, returned to further edumocation, moved into management, emigrated, worked a couple of other jobs one in and one out of my profession, and been headhunted before this one came along!! .....so I am in full agreement!  I don't have a weight lifted from shoulders feeling as I actually like this job (really - I must be mad), but I am certainly excited by the opportunity, another door opening as far as I'm concerned.  Whoop!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Close run thing, but I did. Took a tennis ball, though

Our Boxer (long departed alas) used to fall for that one every time. Then sat there with a woebegone look when she realised she'd been duped. Mind you she was back on the chair as soon as you left it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My eyes must be getting back to normal, as when I was catching up on Ers just now i was convinced that Mike, The Stationmaster, stated he had to go to the heads to get internet connection.

Well if that's true, no wonder there is a queue! 

• RMweb Gold

It's a problem when people leave towels on the keyboards -  some round here seem inclined to leave towels on just about everything; not sure where they're from but definitely talk foreign ;)

My eyes must be getting back to normal, as when I was catching up on Ers just now i was convinced that Mike, The Stationmaster, stated he had to go to the heads to get internet connection.

Well if that's true, no wonder there is a queue! 

• RMweb Premium

iD, it was an opportunity offered to me......it links in with something I have already done as a cottage industry for some time.   

If it involves beer tasting and your cottage industry needs scaling up, or outsourcing, then you have my details; I can provide a resumee!! :drinks:

I'm assuming there'd be a queue though.  :D

Congratulations to Neil on his new job. How long had you been looking? I've been searching now for 3 years, with no luck, but when I do go, I don't know whether to tell my (by then former) employer about everything that's wrong about the company and the leadership, or just smile enigmatically and say "no comment" to all their exit interview questions....

iD

Having tried both, I'd recommend walking away quietly, perhaps shaking your head as you go. Trying to explain what you believe is wrong and should be changed only gets you worked up again at the time and, if you keep in touch with anyone at the organisation, gets you depressed later as you realise absolutely nothing has changed as a result. (In fact, things may even have got worse). As a bonus, if you're feeling evil, implying you know specific improvements which could be made but declining to elaborate can cause at least short term concern and investigation - which will, of course, find absolutely nothing needs to be done.

Cynical? me? Never!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I ever had an exit interview. Is it a modern thing?

I wasted such a lot of time this morning trying to pay the paper bill. I admit I had let it build up somewhat but the newsagent doesn't seem to care but although I managed to drag him away from his reading of "The Economist" it took a lot of effort to convince him that I could count and he couldn't. He just seems to make things up. One of my friends said tins of cat food there had a different price every day, the reason being "supply and demand considerations". 

We are looking forward to a more settled weekend. Aditi was rather agitated last weekend about the fallout from her stance on work standards. Matthew isn't coming home yet although term has finished as he is waiting for a letter from the Russian embassy about his visa for Kaliningrad. He put his term-time address on it for some reason. 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Home now with a celebratory beer (just the one - remember I don't take much now!).

Reaction of work colleagues was excellent, it appears I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the upper echelons, this is a good team that will be ruined by their actions, but such is life.  The support of such great people means a lot to me, and also re-assures me I have been doing the right thing by them this last 8 years.  I am humbled by their reaction. #wipes emotional tear#

Thanks also for the multitude of likes, agrees and little hearts, this is also a place full of supportive people.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Home now with a celebratory beer (just the one - remember I don't take much now!).

Reaction of work colleagues was excellent, it appears I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the upper echelons, this is a good team that will be ruined by their actions, but such is life. The support of such great people means a lot to me, and also re-assures me I have been doing the right thing by them this last 8 years. I am humbled by their reaction. #wipes emotional tear#

Thanks also for the multitude of likes, agrees and little hearts, this is also a place full of supportive people.

Time for some gardening perhaps?

iD, it was an opportunity offered to me......it links in with something I have already done as a cottage industry for some time.  

Let's see. Motorbikes, Narrow Gauge, Very large diesel engines, hmmmm, I dunno?

Whatever, enjoy it!

Best, Pete.

Sat and watched Philomena with Jackie tonight.  A very gentle and at times, moving film.  Left her to catch up her own TV programmes and came onto ER's to see what's going on in the world.  Ian's was the first post I read.  I had to read it three times to make sure I fully comprehended what was being said.

As others have said, good luck with the change in your life, Ian.  You only get one crack at it, so sometimes there may be difficult patches.  Better to try and live a full and open life than one full of regrets.  All the best, mate..

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd recommend walking away quietly, ...

I'd go with this. 

At my last job some of the staff spent a lot of time reporting on progress to the previous CEO, who was effectively pushed out/sick leave/discovered to be incompetent, whatever, but seemingly commanding some loyalty, albeit misplaced.

When I left the post a year or so later I chose not to keep in touch with the staff, much as it might have been nice to, as it would give the new incumbent a free hand, knowing that people weren't second guessing him.   

Neil, enjoy the new lease of life, make it a clean break and don't look back. I'm fairly certain you did "your bit", so now have some fun and live your own life. 

All the best, matey.

Andy

ps, yes I've been to the pub.