The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So yesterday evening I moved a set of drawer units which contain a load (a load of etched brass and wheel sets, mainly) of small bits from a storage area to my desk so that they wouldn't get knocked off.

This morning I carefully knocked them off my desk.

Have you any idea how far wheelsets travel on a hard floor? We removed the carpets years ago and the family asthma disappeared.

And for my next trick ...

• RMweb Premium

That's worth more than a 'funny' tick.

Could it have had to do with the slightly naughty nature of this present topic that I initially misread the last word of your comment as beginning with the letter "d"?

Morning ER persons - weather defying sanity here, we're back to -9 and cloudy with a light breeze making it feel bloody cold again <grrr>

Supposed NOW to stay unseasonably cold for the next week, we may break zero if we're lucky.

So, managed a brief 1/2 hour working more on my engine shed build yesterday afternoon before off to a delightful dinner with friends last evening.

Today heading for the DIY store for power outlet/USB "solutions" for new kitchen island, and lighting "solutions" for the island also - love how they now call them "solutions" when you tell someone you want a couple of  lights and a power strip!

Should get some time (though sadly looking like far LESS than originally predicted/expected) for modelling this afternoon, prior to son coming over for dinner...

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend everyone, and especially those like me who have to return to work early in the AM, two days is precious little time to get all the stuff done that is needed, let alone hobby related...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We timed our walk today to arrive just as the sunshine disappeared. We had a pleasant walk on the seawall at Benfleet Creek but it turned cold and then started hailing only stopping just as we got to the car.

Hail and thunder now and I'm just doing very little after a pleasant late lunch. I may go out to the garage and have another think about turntable access roads. There again I may just stay in.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning, um....late on parade.

Woken in the early hours by torrential hail, which returned at breakfast time making the garden white.  By lunchtime it was so nice we went out on the bikes for a couple of hours, a whole 10c (Don - that's warm.....for the time of year!) and sunny all afternoon.  Mrs H's BMW needs some work on the brakes after it's winter rest, so it's interweb time.  They're OK, but not as sharp as they should be, so it's time for a caliper overhaul I think.  My new little Honda is making me smile, cracking little bike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Another brief update from my rather infrequent attendance on ER these days.

Hope to be back to regular updates later in the week.

Meantime, clematis is growing, roses too. Plasterboard I was working on yesterday broke in the wrong place so having to re-do a section of the garage lining. Grrr.

Off to "The Smoke" tomorrow.  :(

All the best to all of you. Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all - from the dark recesses of Bristol.

An epic journey, I managed to detour via Westbury to photograph my first Colas 70, I then checked out a couple of the recommended locations, not very good as the sun was out and low and causing problems but they should be fine on an overcast evening - I suspect the morning shots will be fine even if the sun is out. I also managed to photograph a nice DBS liveried 59 so I'm happy if that's all I get all week - but hopefully it won't be.

Dehydrated after the long journey so drinking loads of water to try and fix that.

Have a good evening all.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from rainy Melbourne.

If you are plannong a trip here in May they are having a beer festival.

The craft beers have come a long way here ..u just need to heat them up

Trains and trams are great here. Next stop Wellington. ..

• Like 1

"u just need to heat them up" Ha Ha Ha..........  I am not particularly a beer drinker but WARM beer is anathema! I speak as a Southern hemisphere hot climate person. All beverages MUST be ICY cold!

Today however is NOT a cold drink day. Bring on the coffee, preferably laced with something strong..

Raining!  Max 19C (That's cold Neil) Clouded over with rain predicted for all day.

I've got to venture out today to the bank. It will be the first time out of the building since April last year.

I wish you all a Happy Monday if that's possible.

A couple of very late overdue comments from earlier posts;

To Dd, Thanks for the view of the regiment and band. I am sorry it's not to proceed.

To Gordon, From the age of 12 I yearned to own and drive a Jag. An unfulfilled dream. (O.K. I have driven a couple of Jags, but never owned one)

Morning all,  positively chilly here, only 21c at the moment.....where's me thermals?  But pretty sure it will be back in the mid thirties later on. 

Yesterdays outing consisted of a stroll to  the Pool bar at the Sheraton,  Large pizza and stroll  back.

Well best get on it's Monday again, 

Try and survive the day,

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, did a little gardening yesterday between the showers, today its white over with frost! The car looks like it will need deicer.Tea and toast to be consumed MrsB needs to see the doctor for an urgent blood test and to arrange a kidney scan, she only went in for an opinion on her leg...It is a bright sunny day by 9.00 anyone getting up won't believe how frosty it has been.

Morning All,

I am slightly later on parade this morning, having taken the little guy to school and then sat in a traffic jam on the way to work.

On the subject of warm beer - it seems to be a running joke on the "continent" that Brits drink warm beer.  I have had to explain many times that lager is served as cold as it is anywhere else, and although bitter is not as heavily chilled as lager, it certainly isn't what you could call warm.  Even real ale shouldn't be room temperature but cellar temperature.

Truly warm beer is pretty revolting - regardless of Nationality!

Have a good day everyone...

Morning All,

A wee bit nippy this morning and the sky is a bit like a 97 yo centerfold: grey, pendulous and depressing!

Took the HM for his morning constitutional and had a lucky escape - we were in the park walking towards our road, he off his leash, and by luck I spotted a large black and white cat whilst he was sniffing around, I quickly got hold off his collar just as he noticed the moggy. Of course, he wanted to chase the cat (who was already running into the road), but I restrained him and whilst we struggled a bit I got his leash clipped onto his collar ring. He was not well pleased... He is a lovely dog, but his recall isn't always up to scratch, especially if he is off on a chase. Still, we've only had him 6 months (last Friday was the anniversary of his arrival at Schloss iD) and he's already made great progress with commands. So must be patient.

Warm Beer? Hmm! There IS a place for such a thing: shin of beef, onions, carrots and two bottles of room temperature stout will get you an amazing beef stew. Add some suet dumplings and button mushrooms about 30 minutes before serving and you will have a meal fit for the nobility. Most of the beer around this neck of the woods is pretty uninspiring lager. However, we do have two micro-breweries, Ueli Bier and Unsere Bier, that make great craft beers. I can also get decent beers from around the world at a shop at the SBB station - but at a price: a pint+ (500mL) of Hobgoblin or Ginger Beard (alcoholic ginger beer) will cost me £3.84! But it's still cheaper than "ein grosses" (500mL) of Swiss lager at a bar or a biez (which will be approx CHF 7.00 or £4.80 a go).

Still cogitating over the events surrounding Simon Kohler's departure from Hornby - worth following on the appropriate threads.

Have a good one.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

Morning all - cold and bright this morning.  I had to scrape the ice off the car front windscreen today - but none of the other windows.  It is always the same, there must be a logical explanation!

As for chilled beers, the joke amongst real ale drinkers used to be that lagers etc had to be chilled to disguise the lack of taste in the beer!  Having said that, I do like a really chilled beer from time to time.