The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

T minus 1 minute and counting. The weekend begins soon.

The excrement is about to intersect with the rotary oscillation device at high velocity. The prerequisites at work aren't done. Oops. My part of the project can't proceed without them so looks like next week will be interesting. Thank feck I'm going to be about 40km from ground zero when the senior managers find out.

Its almost beer o clock and there is a grain train on storage siding 4 awaiting dispatch.

Wait a minute, sounds like Aditi needs a correction!!! Being over "here" I've not been to a show in the UK for ages, but by all accounts (reading board posts) shouldn't you;

1) Not wash/shower for a week

2) Drag yourself through a hedge backwards

3) get a bl**oo**dly great backpack to wield in an obnoxious manner

4) Cough, sniff and fart your way around the entire thing, whilst...

5) Complaining to each of the exhibitors that they haven't modelled anything correctly and simply don't know crap, whereas you know it ALL!!!

<---quickly grabs coat and hat, and...whooosh...out the door :jester:

Thanks for the warning Ian. I'm off to Ally Pally tomorrow and forgot to do the necessary. So I've spent a couple of hours getting up a sweat by digging through last year's compost, then it's off to the take away for a vindaloo. Another one who only needs a tin of paint (SECR wagon brown) so I can fill the back pack with this afternoon's output. That will mean I get enough space to watch the layouts in peace and quiet.

Bill

• Like 1

Ugh, they are revolting things. I really do think I'd rather wet myself.

Not sure any passengers in your car at the time would agree, particularly if a driver swap was due!!

No-one's ever complained before...

• RMweb Gold

Happy Hippo,

There are isolating valves in the supply pipes which as you say is a great help. I thought the securing nut and plate had rusted solid, but a socket wrench shifted them. Stuck at the moment; can't find the spanners for the compression fittings! Haven't got the car so unable to venture out and buy some more. They will of course reappear once the job is done.

As there seem to be minor differences in different makes I found adjustal spanners were a good bet. I would advise anyone replacing a tap to fit a flexi connector if possible these often have a rubber washer in the top and do not need to be as tight as the fibre type. A proper tap spanner is useful, the type which will clamp round the nut while a tommy bar turns the assembly. On mine the curved toothed bit comes off and is reversed to change from tightening to loosening.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Hope you feel better soon, iL D.

It is a shame that not all Internet rants are so well thought out and profound!

I don't know if Geoff's public toilet is still there in Bristol, but on the completely opposite end of the scale, I remember a public toilet in France which hung over the edge of a bridge over a river (no plumbing required).  It could be located by its smell.  I suspect it probably isn't still there!

They had some cast iron ones in Amsterdam for urinating only which drained straight into the canal.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A Canadian "bathroom". Gravity not flush!

attachicon.gifAlbertaloo.jpg

There used to be one in the picnic area on the top of broadway hill Marion's Aunt complained about the wind whisltling through. When we first moved to Easthope off the Wenlock Edge all of the row of houses had earth closets separated from the houses by a driveway along the back our neighbour would walk back in the morning still tucking his shirt into his trousers. We fitted a septic tank and a proper bathroom - there's posh for you.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I did manage to spend some time filling in the big hole on the layout and I now have a powered turntable that turns. It doesn't have any track going to it yet but that shouldn't be as difficult as programming the thing. I'm sure it isn't really complicated but I need to sit quietly and read the manual when I'm not tired. I always wanted a turntable! Matthew had the Hornby one on his trainset but I didn't steal it for mine.

I'm going to get my stuff ready for my trip to Alexandra Palace tomorrow. As well as the paint purchase I will be collecting a couple of coaches (carmine and cream Mark 1s) purchased through RMweb classifieds so I had better take a carrier bag. It will be handy for lunch carrying.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back home - always nice to be back, even though it's persisting down.

Mega washing machine action now, 2 weeks worth - ugh.

Wedding anniversary trip away a great success (married the day before my birthday so I NEVER forget - 30 times over) and a taste for Thai food firmly lodged, made a change from curry.

• Like 3

They had some cast iron ones in Amsterdam for urinating only which drained straight into the canal.

Don

They are still there. However, now plumbed into the sewer system. Very handy.

On weekends in the west end of London they put out plastic portable p*ssers to cut down on people urinating in the street. Tramps have their own private urinals. They are red, with a door, and telephone.

9:45PM here and just got back from IKEA - blimey you can go through cash fast in there when you start in on kitchen cabinets, ovens, vent hoods and sundry parts :scared:

Expense for construction "sorted and resolved", so we're full-speed ahead into kitchen overhaul mode - got all the stuff we needed ordered at IKEA tonight, for Monday delivery.

Now I need a really GOOD SLEEP - tomorrow we;

1) Move all the stuff BACK into the study as it was completed today (looks nice I'll warrant that)

2) Start removing ALL the stuff from the kitchen in the peninsula section that'll be demolished, and other miscellaneous cabinets so we have stuff to use for the time the kitchen is unavailable.

3) Set up some temporary food prep. area "somewhere" - looks like coffe and whatever can be microwaved for a while.

4) Organize the space for the IKEA delivery.

5) PANIC

One of the no-brainer decisions was to have me do the flooring! Saves us $500 and easy stuff as it's just a laminate/resilient thing we're going to slap down over the existing floor, excellent saving and all it costs is cripple me next weekend :O  :training:

Plus we're up for basic assembly of all the IKEA cabinetry, just have to get the legend to explain to me again what all those funny little pictures of men mean!

I'm SURE there's one that means "...shove this part up your nose and blow it out your arse...", at least it seems like it as I recall! :rtfm:

If there's any time left tomorrow or Sunday I'll hopefully lay some track - got two packages today, a PECO single-slip (new) and a real deal from eBay two PECO long-crossings for the pricely sum of $14US + $3 postage! They were listed as lightly used, and they sure are, darn near as good as the two new ones I've just installed - nice win and the three items combined means I can now complete a SECOND roundy-round line AND one connection track through the goods yard area and reconnecting via the engine shed access roads...

I'll check in sometime in the AM hopefully (if I'm still in one piece and capable of typing), but decided to get a head start posting as we'll be slaving away from early on I'm sure.

Have a fun weekend everyone, especially those venturing to the Ally Pally show - provide a report for us on distant shores.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 6

Morning All

Fortunately most British diaries seem to have mine printed in them - as long as I remember that what they say also means it's my wedding anniversary (37 years ago this year, I think).

You think? You think? That's simply NOT good enough. I am certain that Mrs Stationmaster knows exactly how long you have been married - certainly to the hour, if not to the very minute. Thin ice, Mike, very thin ice.

I am beginning to regret yesterday's post. I mention, in passing, some GI problems and the next thing I know, the whole thread's gone down the toilet - figuratively, if not literally. At least, so far, Debs has refrained from punning (although my comments may flush her out). Butt, unfortunately, my gut feeling is that we still have not reached bottom and I expect many more lavatorial posts before everyone's done their business. Well, I suppose it could be worse, the weather is forecast to be nice today, it could be piddling down instead.

A quiet day ahead, recovery from yesterday's misadventures, a little light modelling and then off to friend's birthday "do" at a restaurant (and as my friend is Polish, this will more than certainly involve large quantities of Vodka).

Enjoy Ally Pally (those who are going), give my regards to SK and have a splendid day.

iD

• Like 2

I posted in the Coronation Street forum by mistake. Have now deleted that.

Today partly/mostly Sunny with some cloud, Max 23C today

BUT

rain tomorrow continuing through until Wednesday.

I can't complain. We have had lots of totally Sunny, wind free days.

Those goung to Ally Pally, ENJOY  I'm envious :bad:

9:45PM here and just got back from IKEA - blimey you can go through cash fast in there when you start in on kitchen cabinets, ovens, vent hoods and sundry parts :scared:....

I feel your pain. I too am amazed at how much a "veneer over MDF D-I-Y box" costs. No wonder the founder and owner of IKEA is a billionaire. As for the kitchen equipment, one of the great revelations to me of recent years is how very little more professional equipment costs compared with "domestic" equipment. Unfortunately, such a revelation came too late to be applied to my own kitchen (and I suspect Mrs iD would NOT have approved of a stainless steel "pro" kitchen). Still, I'm slowly replacing domestic with pro, wherever and whenever I can.

Have you assembled IKEA furniture before? Apart from deciphering the pictograms, another major problem is that not every hole (for bolt, screw and retaining clip [not sure of term, but it's like a very thick button with a slot on the side. Clip goes into hole, bolt goes into slot in clip, clip is turned to lock bolt in place]) is properly drilled/cut, although this usually easy to fix/clean up.

I've also found, through bitter experience, that when assembling the sides of the boxes, you need to support all parts until ALL retaining screws/clips have been tightened down. I didn't do this once and whilst tightening the second of eight retaining screws, the side that was vertical and being locked into place on the floor piece tilted off the vertical - ripping out the one retaining clip that HAD been tightened down and tearing off a chunk of veneer in the process (fortunately, a rubber mallet, wood glue and patience allowed me to salvage the piece of furniture). MDF (at least I think its some type of MDF) is a peculiar beast to work with, both immensely robust and fragile and friable.

iD

Edited by iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry at the moment & 4oC but a mixture of sunny spells, showers (heavy at times & possibly wintry) maybe hail, thunder and feeling colder are all forecast. What? No fog?

I must be strange because I will never, ever, ever forget the day I got hitched. (And Chris doesn't have to remind me)

Up early for a Saturday because I had an early night. The intention today is to go to Ally Pally (providing nothing gets in the way in the next couple of hours) and see how long I can resist spending any money. (On recent form that won't be long)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

Morning all,

Sounds like a Dudders alert might be in order for Ally Pally tomorrow if he's 'over here' - must keep an eye open in the milling throngs just in case........

Unlikely as the last I heard was that he had planned a few days in Cornwall.

Enjoy whatever you're planning for the weekend!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny but cool here.

I think I have all the stuff I need for Ally P. Ticket, money, bagels for lunch, A drive to the station, get on "express" rail replacement bus to Basildon and then I have a choice of routes but I think I'll via Fenchurch St and get the underground to Kings Cross and then the train to Alexandra Palace. Once upon a  time I would have walked up the hill but I'll get the bus or coach!

Tony