The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

This morning I discovered that Kate Bush (I've been a fan since she started and have all her albums / singles) is to perform some UK (well London) dates later this year but I don't hold out much hope for a ticket - they go on sale whilst I'm away - ho hum.

Have a good day all.

Already booked next Friday morning off so I won't be interrupted when the tix go on sale. I ain't missing this.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sounds like a Dudders alert might be in order for Ally Pally tomorrow if he's 'over here' - must keep an eye open in the milling throngs just in case.  The good Doctor and myself are planning a journey via Reading to reduce our travelling time; trains from here to the smoke are disgustingly slow and stop at all sorts of appalling places they never called at back 'in the good old days'.

And for Mr Beast I have no jealousy whatsoever, the only think I can think of that could be worse than a week in Bristol is two weeks in the place (but I can recommend a decent pub with decent cider & good grub down at the far end of the Floating Harbour).

Today is, in addition to the normal Friday fayre, blood-letting day and bank visitation (the latter mainly to collect some funny foreign money but also to pop in a cheque following the arrival of the Postie yesterday).   Sunny at present, rain promised later - yesterday's weather forecast was accurate.  Have a good day one & all and no doubt we'll conme across some of you at Ally Pally tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

the only think I can think of that could be worse than a week in Bristol is two weeks in the place  ...

I have fond memories of Bristol as a child. We went there to buy my first electric train-set and my first pet, Perry the hamster.

Tony

• Like 3

Morning all. I have only been to Bristol once, many years ago. Needing to use a loo I followed directions to what turned out to be a public toilet under a road. When I went down to them I was amazed to find a gleaming tiled room with polished brass and copper pipes and fittings and polished wooden cubicle doors. It was the best kept public toilet I have had the pleasure of using if I may express it like that. Wonder if it is still there?

• Like 2

Sun is shining, wind abated, washing blowing on the line, bacon sizzling in the pan, toaster toasting, coffee brewing, postie delivered Kernow parcel, can there be anything better than this? 

Spring is in the air!  :sungum:

• Like 8

Sun is shining, wind abated, washing blowing on the line, bacon sizzling in the pan, toaster toasting, coffee brewing, postie delivered Kernow parcel, can there be anything better than this? 

Spring is in the air!  :sungum:

Extra bacon and two Kernow parcels???

• Like 2

Hope you feel better soon, iL D.

It is a shame that not all Internet rants are so well thought out and profound!

I don't know if Geoff's public toilet is still there in Bristol, but on the completely opposite end of the scale, I remember a public toilet in France which hung over the edge of a bridge over a river (no plumbing required).  It could be located by its smell.  I suspect it probably isn't still there!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bacon at breakfast only seems to happen when I am on holiday overseas. Otherwise bacon is an ingredient. I had to sort out the toaster this morning as Aditi had done something to the crumb tray. This should be impossible as it isn't a puny toaster but it has survived her "if it doesn't work, try forcing it" technique for quite a long time. All OK now though.

Just off to see Mick, the barber. The bank person left happily clutching a couple of cheques! 

After that a walk with Robbie and then I may inspect the round hole in the layout. Hopefully the glue supporting the hole will have set.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Tony, those sh*t-in-a-pit toilets also double as a temperature gauge. If you hear a splash, its warm, if you hear a thud its cold.

It was cold. However a few years before we had been in New Hampshire and the park lavatories were really warm.

We were very impressed with facilities in the parks in Canada. Though we had crossed over into BC one day and the washroom (is that the correct Canadian term) was closed (until May) with a helpful sign saying that the nearest heated washroom was 66km away in Jasper from where we had set off earlier!

Reminds me of the early days of the M40, before it had services.

There was a sign near Oxford saying "Emergency lavatories - 20 miles"

Emergency????

Sadly I doubt "bursting for a pee" would qualify as any kind of excuse if clocked at 120mph on the M40...

On National roads in South Africa you are pretty well guaranteed a loo every 200 kms.

An international petrol brand had a advertising gimmick which had a white rabbit as a sign of a clean, serviced toilet so it became a habit to enquire of passengers "Do you need a White Rabbit?"

It is quite possible to travel more than 200kms between towns!

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

The hole I've cut in my layout reminds me somewhat of visits to my great-grandmother's house in Winson Green, Birmingham. It was nice going there as the garden backed onto the railway line but the lavatory was also in the back garden, it was a board with 2 holes in it. I don't think it was a two seater, I suspect one was for adults and the other for children. They had moved to that house after living in one of the nearby prison turrets. My grandmother said it was odd having rooms with corners!

Tony

• Like 1

Morning all.

It has been raining  but it is forecast to stop soon.

I am expecting a visitor today, someone from the bank is coming to collect some documents but that shouldn't take long.

It has also been suggested that I should get my hair cut. It would appear that  Aditi thinks I should look tidy as I am going to Ally Pally tomorrow. 

Tony

Wait a minute, sounds like Aditi needs a correction!!! Being over "here" I've not been to a show in the UK for ages, but by all accounts (reading board posts) shouldn't you;

1) Not wash/shower for a week

2) Drag yourself through a hedge backwards

3) get a bl**oo**dly great backpack to wield in an obnoxious manner

4) Cough, sniff and fart your way around the entire thing, whilst...

5) Complaining to each of the exhibitors that they haven't modelled anything correctly and simply don't know crap, whereas you know it ALL!!!

<---quickly grabs coat and hat, and...whooosh...out the door :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

So +1 here right now and pretty gloomy with rain expected soon.

Continuing a gradual thaw which is now the MAIN topic on the news, as the thaw rate is directly proportional to the amount of local flooding or not that occurs. Ground is still frozen quite deep so a thaw can result in water with nowhere to go, oh well, I'll get the row boat ready :O

Long but enjoyable choir rehersal last night, but no modelling as a result.

Contractor returned a much higher figure than Mrs wanted/expected for his portion of the kitchen work, so may be a small delay whilst "discussing" same with him - glad it's not ME that is having to face her and explain :)

May mean a little more free time this weekend to model though, and there is a model railroad show in town - generally a WASTE in terms of potentially picking up any items (no UK outline or even PECO for sale usually), but I may decide to go anyways.

Have a good Friday - I am already as I've solved a couple of "issues" for a client and they are happy-campers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Wait a minute, sounds like Aditi needs a correction!!! Being over "here" I've not been to a show in the UK for ages, but by all accounts (reading board posts) shouldn't you; ...

I have got my hair cut. I think her logic was that my hair was too untidy as there might be people there who knew her. I think I understand the logic but perhaps few others would! I suppose it is similar to me brushing the dog before a walk in case people think he isn't cared for.

I must go to different shows or perhaps the Essex ones are more fragrant as I don't seem to notice any of these famous smelly people! I have seen occasionally giant-rucksack people but they don't seem to be fixated by the layouts I like. 

I suppose I'm tall enough not to get pushed too much and I can't imagine the queues will be too awful to complete my shopping list which consists of one tin of  "Nanking Blue" paint. That doesn't mean I won't buy anything else.

Tony

• Like 4

The "Weather People" are suggesting snowfall "measured in feet" in New England next Tuesday and Wednesday. I would normally take it with my usual pinch of salt but even the NWS are suggesting it as a possibility. 

I know at least one RMWebber visiting New York next week, probably quite a few, actually....

What can I say, but "bring it on".

I'm feeling Bullish today, sorry....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Good day at the office; car returned having passed the MOT without incident/expense. Having gone ouit and purchased suitable spanner, the tap installed, tested and no leaks. Fiddly job but no real problems, so I'm happy. Hopefully SWMBO will feel the same when she gets back.

• Like 1