The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Flavio,

I told you not to mention it again....

I may have mentioned the war, but I think that I got away with it....

Population Density of the Continents....

Australasia: 6 people per square mile.

Strewth mate, that's crowded!

Seriously, Pete, you've touched on one of the very many complicating (and complicated) factors surrounding the understanding of our climate. As a subject that serious scientists spend their careers studying/researching, I doubt that it is one that allows for an easy analysis by Joe Public (assuming that Joe Public is provided with more than dumbed-down, headline grabbing sound-bites...)

Veering completely off on a Tangent, as a scientist by inclination, as well as training and experience, I am worried about how "Science" is either demonized or deified nowadays. As a concept, Science is easy: create a hypothesis ("will eating Big Macs improve guitar playing?") test that hypothesis - preferably against a control ("everyone on the left side eat Big Macs, everyone on the right side eat BK whoppers and then play Stairway To Heaven), record the results (collect data) and draw conclusions ("Big Macs do NOT improve guitar playing"). It's that straightforward, it's not rocket science (well it can be - but you know what I mean). There's also one other critical aspect to science - nothing is absolutely the final last word (and, yes, I know that in certain disciplines we are fairly close to being definite), and robust, solid, new data can change the existing paradigms.

I'm wondering how many people nowadays understand anything about the technology they use? Very few, I would imagine. And yet, conceptually, most technology is pretty simple to grasp (even if the application of the concept is quite complicated). So

- DO SCIENCE

- GET CHICKS

- HOLD WORLDS TO RANSOME

And a Good Afternoon to all.

• Like 3

Well, early start here, but no time to post - had to run a couple of errands with my son as he had dropped his car off for service - aren't dads great (and mums too, but she elected to sleep in!!).

Alarmingly, it seems and feels quite nice here as it's ONLY -4 but bright sun and no wind. It's rather stupid to think that I can go out in this weather only with a heavy sweater on and it feels quite comfortable, given the diabolic cold we've experienced this year.

No snow in the forcast for us FINALLY, Pete, hope yours doesn't really amount to much in the end. Of course it's STILL taking an age to start any serious thawing here even with the sun beating down on everything. The houses in view out our windows still have at least 12" of snow on the roofs, and the lawn - if it still exists - is still covered with over two feet of snow. It IS slowly disappearing though...

My birthday present arrived yesterday and the decoder today, so I'm off to do some modelling and run my new Bachmann 3MT tank, my station pilot around what track is up. :senile:

Think I'll take the laptop to the basement and monitor (read - fart around and post instead of serious modelling) RM etc., for a while :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

From Basingstoke we are returned - great show, nice to meet the two Bobs (the Grandad one and the engine shed code one) and PhilH and El Davo plus various others of RMweb who don't habituate this little corner of it.  Really good show with some top notch layouts this year and with the added entertainment of a 3-D printer doing it's stuff, slowly but still amazing.  Good selection of trade and alas a book I was after was on sale (the new book from Kevin Roberstson about the DN&S, luvverly, heavy, and pricey) plus I obtained soem crew for the 'Dukedogs' and a few wagons.  But compared with all the heavy spending on those things the entry price was a bargain, only a fiver for adults - such as her Doctorness - and a quid less for OFs like me.  And for that you get to see some top notch layouts including Pempoul, where we actually managed to get to the front with relative ease.

So thoroughly recommended if you're within easy reach of Basingstoke and doing nothing tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of teh weekend folks and bon voyage to those about to depart or enroute.

• Like 5

Just back from the Leamington show. I don't think it was as good as in previous years, especially in terms of traders of 'bits'. For instance I couldn't find anyone selling a plastic wagon kit. Sandy was round every book stockist. We only came away with three.

Lunch was good as usual, and good to meet up with Sidecar Racer, Cornishexile and Gwrrob. The rhino jokes came out in force.

I did go there to see Bodmin as I'd read the original articles in MRC but had never seen it in the flesh. Operation was spot on.

The NAC is certainly a lot more pleasant experience than the NEC.

• RMweb Gold

I have spent most of the day in the garage trying to rationalise tools, model railways and other garage storage. I can actually see both workbench surfaces and most of the stuff piled on the ON30 layout is now under the OO layout! 

I think we may go for a walk somewhere tomorrow and have lunch out. There are plenty of pubs where dogs are welcome but with Robbie it is better to have lunch and then walk as he can get messy if there is any mud about. 

Matthew has booked his ticket to Helsinki but is keeping an open mind about what to do afterwards if he doesn't get a Russian visa. He said he may see if anyone in the EU Baltic states that he knows can put him up for a few days and then go to Holland to meet up with the two lads he shares a house with in Leicester who are attending some geographical function there. He is flying from Gatwick to Helsinki so I said I'd give him a lift to the airport. If he was going from Heathrow as originally planned I suggested the train and tube.

Tony

• Like 2

Evenin all,  

The parrots & friends never showed up this evening....

Talking of long distance drives, the longest I did in one go was Clevedon (Somerset)  to a place north of Dundee & back on the same day, seem to recall that was just short of 1000 miles. Left early  (around 2:30am  IIRC)  got to the broken down machine around 9:30am. Identified the fault , fixed it by 10am & turned round and drove back south. ! 

(My normal weekly mileage was 1000- 1500miles in that job). 

Today I've manage to get a bit of modeling time in.  Now to track down the photos / drawings of the matching loco. (Cant remember if its a Baldwin or Porter)

Off to bed now,  nite, 

Trev

post-4282-0-80068000-1394312173.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. And a sunny Sunday morning it is!

Kind of a weird day yesterday as I was feeling terribly knackered, yet had to run a number of errands (including working on some plans for the next several days). That's about all I remember, though!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Cloudy but supposed to be wet/dry depending on which forecast you here/read.

A day of finding out what's underneath all that railway modelling stuff that seems to accumulate when your back is turned.

I may be some time.  :D

Enjoy your day.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it might be another grand day here. On todays agenda is more Dog proofing of the boarders the final step will be erection of the driveway gates. Modelling doesn't seem to be anywhere on the list of jobs.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Greetings from sunny Essex.

Slight change of plans. We will be going for a walk today but it won't involve lunch out. Gardening tasks instead. 

Tony

And it's bright and sunny here too, as it was all day yesterday. Each sunny morn is a joy after so many wet days in the last few months!

Make the most of it! One of our tradesmen certainly is; he cleaned our gutters in Autumn, 2011, not long after we moved in and they need doing again. When contacted recently he offered to come this afternoon! And I've saved the best until the end: his name is Mr. Utterly Gutterly!!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Lovely weather, with a risk of 20 degrees today. Horses are looking comfy, I will get out and get on a bit later, with some chance of a mow if the lawn can stand it. Daffs on all sides coming out.

Hope yours is as nice.

• Like 4

Morning all, 

A bright and sunny day has dawned here too.......a stroll to the pool bar at the Sheraton is called for later.  Maybe a bit more modeling then later.

Whatever you're up to today, try and enjoy!

Trev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Quick note for Mick - Basingstoke isn't very far off route on return from Winchester and a fiver isn't bad value for some very good layouts ;)

O n return home yesterday the bad news struck;  no - not Mrs Stationmaster reclining accompanied by orange cats, no - not sausages for dinner, no - not concerns that I'd spent too much at the show (well it was my money), but farm, far, worse - the dreaded paintbrush bug has invaded.  So far it's only attacked the skirting board in the downstairs toilet but it has bitten firmly and now has its eyes on the living room walls which will involve much furniture shifting.  

Let this be a warning to you all - sunshine doesn't just mean gardening tasks, it can also mean paintbrush time - and guess who gets the really fun bits such as shifting furniture, doing all the rubbing down and applying masking tape etc.  Suddenly a second day at Basinsingstoke doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Hope the rest of you have a good day, mine is full of foreboding.

And it's bright and sunny here too, as it was all day yesterday. Each sunny morn is a joy after so many wet days in the last few months!

Make the most of it! One of our tradesmen certainly is; he cleaned our gutters in Autumn, 2011, not long after we moved in and they need doing again. When contacted recently he offered to come this afternoon! And I've saved the best until the end: his name is Mr. Utterly Gutterly!!

Good job he could fit you so-quickly into his dairy, he must be milking it in after all those storms churning up leaves; `hope he isn`t spreading himself too thin! :P

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky, sunshine, 13oC - what is the world coming to?

Great day at Basingstoke show yesterday with Bob(81C)  meeting Mike, Dr. Cat & others. Excellent layouts & trade & great value for £4 entrance fee. I managed to spend about £50 on ("essential") stuff and the knees held out pretty well.(stick not required)

Saw most of the Scotland v France game (McOoops) and then had a great evening with friends here for dinner last night,

Yesterday our 10 y.o. tumble dryer which has been playing up lately finally passed away with smell of burning & smoke so we're off out shortly to find a new one...........

and then there will be Rugby this afternoon so that's the next few hours sorted.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 4