The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The "I don't believe it!" moment.............

Another Snow Storm expected next Mid-Week. Up to 12" between New York and New England.

Did I tell you that the clocks go forward here tonight?

Don't anyone mention Global Warming to me ever again....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

My Daughter's boyfriend unfortunately "failed"  his second audition for the Juilliard, yesterday. His piece to sing was "(Down by) Sally Gardens".

I thought it sounded beautiful...but then I've always preferred Berklee in Boston which made him feel better. Still plenty of opportunities for the guy, he's only 18.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Don't anyone mention Global Warming to me ever again....

Obviously you must be a man of influence as the preferred term "over here" now is "climate change".

Obviously you must be a man of influence as the preferred term "over here" now is "climate change".

In other words they really don't know what is happening...

Yeah, well, tell them it is getting colder.......burn more carbon based stuff. Hot Air from Climatologists helps.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

The horses are home, thank goodness. I was there in plenty of time, but instead of Anita - who has horses and is a competent horse-woman - turning up with 4wd and trailer, it was husband Richard, who is great with cows, knows very little about horses! Varian loaded straight away, but Bronte - a 23-y-o Fell pony, and very, very strong - wouldn't. After numerous tries, Richard rang Anita and she told him how to get a long rope behind the horse's quarters - up she came. During all this Gillian, the householder, was packing up ready to set off back to Edinburgh. Her Mondeo spends three weeks out of four at Tours airport, and she then uses it the fourth week, when she is working at her firm in Marolles-les-Braults.

Varian and Bronte, unconcerned after their 2 km trip, are now head-down-and-going-for-it in the paddock, where the grass is decently long in places. Thus ends the 6th Winter during which I have been responsible for their welfare, and Richard said how well they look. Pleased!

• Like 4

Is that a photo of Debs' workshop on page 57 of MRJ229?

No.  Debs has got a much bigger workshop than that with special 'Collie-powered' treadmills to keep all the machinery spinning!

Dry and sunny (ish) here and looks set fair for the weekend.  Garden and allotment beckon, but I think cycling first!  Garden can wait til tomorrow and allotment until Monday.  There, that's put them in their place!

Morning all, 

Had internet connections connection problems last night & this morning. Such are the joys (?) of West African life!

Last evening there was some new  for around here bird song.....in a tree about 250meters away were a group of African Grey Parrots & another parrot like bird which is yet to be identified. 

The light was starting to go and with the distance these are not the clearest of photos....

What ever you're up to to day, try and find some thing to smile at, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-71909500-1394273260.jpg

post-4282-0-08762600-1394273293.jpg

post-4282-0-40344400-1394273326.jpg

post-4282-0-26639400-1394273353.jpg

• Like 9

My Daughter's boyfriend unfortunately "failed"  his second audition for the Juilliard, yesterday. His piece to sing was "(Down by) Sally Gardens".

I thought it sounded beautiful...but then I've always preferred Berklee in Boston which made him feel better. Still plenty of opportunities for the guy, he's only 18.

Best, Pete.

Btw before anyone comes up with the old chestnut - he's already sung at Carnegie Hall.........

Best, Pete.

...Don't anyone mention Global Warming to me ever again....

Best, Pete.

Unfortunately for the naysayers we ARE experiencing "climate change", but the aspect that gets all the vested interests all bent out of shape, is the degree to which mankind has an influence on what could well be millennial climate cycles.

Are we the driver of these changes? I think not. Can we have an impact on these cycles? Undoubtably to some degree. Certainly, pouring tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, whilst simultaneously deforesting large swathes of the planet (trees - our most important and efficient CO2 scrubbers) is - to say the least - not going to help much. Environmental activists are almost accurate when they claim that mankind will destroy the planet, the truth is much more unpleasant: we can destroy the planet's suitability for HUMAN habitation, but life will continue to go on.

It's interesting to note how many "controversies" are fueled by a lethal mixture of vested interests and scientific ignorance. As Sylvester McCoy's Dr Who once said in disgust "Bah, humans!"

But what can you expect in today's world, where so many people believe that the opinion of Joe Blogs on "X" is of equal weight to that of someone who has spent a lifetime studying "X". Vox Populi, perhaps, but very little Mens Sana, alas.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning/Afternoon from a slightly cooler sw Florida, all well here though the temp has dropped to 70 ( on its way back up though )and we have had rain! four hours worth then the sun came out.

Spoke to someone yesterday who is driving back home tommorrow to Indianapolis a short 1150 mile trip after being here for 8 weeks, he will do all the driving, his wife falls asleep he told me and he expects to do it in 18/19 hours unless he decides to stop overnight.

Rather him than me!

Going to attempt to catch up on at least 2 days worth of posts.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 2

Flavio,

I told you not to mention it again...

I've compared vista's now compared to the early 1900's and can tell you that they have changed radically on the East Coast of the USA. How? Far more trees and vegetation now than then. We use a fraction of the wood now compared to then - railroads were still being built, wood being burned for heat etc., etc. Wood is being used more efficiently - on my house extension i'd say over 90% was engineered "wood" - for example.

As I said before we are going through an historic winter comparable in temperatures only with the late 1700's. Still have knee deep snow in my backyard and maybe 12" more next week.

May I remind you that we are on roughly the same latitude as Barcelona and Rome? :mail:

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Flavio,

I told you not to mention it again...

I've compared vista's now compared to the early 1900's and can tell you that they have changed radically on the East Coast of the USA. How? Far more trees and vegetation now than then. We use a fraction of the wood now compared to then - railroads were still being built, wood being burned for heat etc., etc. Wood is being used more efficiently - on my house extension i'd say over 90% was engineered "wood" - for example.

As I said before we are going through an historic winter comparable in temperatures only with the late 1700's. Still have knee deep snow in my backyard and maybe 12" more next week.

May I remind you that we are on roughly the same latitude as Barcelona and Rome? :mail:

Best, Pete.

Told you should have migrated to old York for winter.......

Spoke to someone yesterday who is driving back home tommorrow to Indianapolis a short 1150 mile trip after being here for 8 weeks, he will do all the driving, his wife falls asleep he told me and he expects to do it in 18/19 hours unless he decides to stop overnight.

Rather him than me!

Many-many years ago, I drove alone from Cedar Rapids (Iowa) to Baltimore (Maryland) in one, giant 1000 mile/24 hour hit; fuelled only by drive-thru coffee and burgers, tied by the kind of idiotic and ridiculous schedule that only a naive twenty-something could`ve conceived......I even managed to drive-by to see the Whitehouse in DC on the way to the ACL terminal at Dundalk harbour.

The kind of mind-numbingly sleepless road-trip, that looking back upon from the weariness of my late 50`s; was utter lunacy to attempt. :blush:

I feel a sense of dread at just having to drive 50 miles on any journey these days. :drag:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We use a fraction of the wood now compared to then - railroads were still being built, wood being burned for heat etc., etc. Wood is being used more efficiently.........

You haven't taken Gordon's baseboards into account.

another parrot like bird which is yet to be identified. 

The light was starting to go and with the distance these are not the clearest of photos....

Trev.

Could be a Mouse Bird but not enough detail to be sure.

Told you should have migrated to old York for winter.......

I think you are right, Mick.

My own conclusions are that maybe the great Oceans have a bigger modifying effect on the climate than even is thought of now which means almost every continent stands alone. If Europe has had a mild Winter then even more thought must be made to controlling local carbon output within Europe rather than blaming everyone else.

Of course the Americans have their own scapegoat: El Nino.....

Seriously, human population density probably has greater effect than any other on the impact of emissions:

Population Density of the Continents:

North America: 32 people per square mile.

South America: 73 people per square mile.

Europe: 134 people per square mile.

Asia: 203 people per square mile.

Africa: 65 people per square mile.

Australasia: 6 people per square mile.

Best, Pete.