The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have just managed to severely confuse myself

Just swapped the positions of the two laptops to being the new one into play and now I'm typing everything on the wrong one.

Nearly deleted a whole load of work because of that.

And just don;t ask which mouse to use! (Don't like twiddlepads, use an external mouse)

Must get brain into gear.

Anyone seen the new variation of Eggheads on BBC2?  What a heap of tripe…..

Bring back Kevin, Daphne and crew, all is forgiven.

Dumbing-down and cost-cutting rolled into one!

More idiotic pantomime, than a quiz; complete with a 'know-all' baddy with his rolling eyes, faux petulance......Mr. Vine even providing the 'hissing'.

......."Simply Ghastly!" :(

• RMweb Gold

I have just managed to severely confuse myself

Just swapped the positions of the two laptops to being the new one into play and now I'm typing everything on the wrong one.

Somewhat relieved that others can do that too! 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind thoughts which should be forwarded to Danemouth Dave, who actually has Shingles!

Understandable mistake to make in view of your final comment - sounds like your retirement could be in view? Excellent!

D'oh!  Apologies to you both!

Bad luck, Dave. That isn't good news. I had my first bout at 19 and my second in October, 2012, aged  62! As far as the tablets go, do check the instructions. Unusually for me, I didn't and it was only towards the end of the course that I realised these huge things should have been dissolved in water!! Duh! They do seem to prevent the illness being too severe so it's worth persevering with them. I think I felt below par for two or three weeks; perhaps you've had it before so know what to expect.

No doubt your GP will have told you to rest plenty. I found that was the key. Some days I would wake up feeling better, take a shower and dress and then need to rest! Sorry to sound dismal but I hope the advice is helpful.

All the best for your recovery.

Thanks Ashers,

Not had it before!

I've just checked the leaflet - thanks for the heads up - you can swallow them with a little water or dissolve them in water.

Thanks to you all for your sympathy and best wishes.

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

If all goes well, only retirement from this role and that of a civil serpent - still going to be working 4 or 5 days, just.....somewhere else.  Nicer. And mostly without a mortgage. ;)

It's going to take a few months to sort it all out though, and it is still a little dependent upon a few matters being finalised.  Makes me feel a lot better having initiated the process though, that's for sure. :danced:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

And after tales about two 'puters I do wonder how my next door neighbour gets on using 4 at the same time, maybe his skill is related to the fact that he developed and sold some accounting software for £x million a few years back?  Goodness only knows what the one on the other side does - he has an unprotected 'puter radio network, but then he and his brother sold their radio/some sort of music play thingy for £x million as well long before he moved here, he now makes watches and plays with his vintage aeroplane(s?) but atleats his ex-military BSA 'bike sounds good.

So back to earth - with a big bump and today is bad genetics day as we are off for our diabetes related eye tests, after we've been to Tesco (yes, I'm confused too).  And it looks like some folk on this thread would have been quite upset by my last railway medical - 'Age 50 reassessment for On Track' - fancy eye tests, even fancier hearing tests and variious pokings & proddings at London Bridge 'Medical Centre' - took nearly an hour and passed 100% fit; 6 months later and I was off sick for 4 months :scratchhead:  

Have a good day, we're off to the excellent Basingstoke show tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the Gendarme-Totty has been and gone. Petite and slightly intense, I managed to get a smile out of her, anyway.

The event was June 21st last, and it goes to court on 9th September - nearly 15 months later! I have indicated I do not wish to be there - I was entitled to an avocat, apparently - as I am not sure I'd follow much of the proceedings, and if required to give evidence, would be a "poor witness"! Madame has now gone off to the Chateau, where they were actually burgled by the bloke, so have far more claim to want to nail him.

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer caught me trying to remove the last piece  (about 18") of !/8" diameter copper pipe back to the workshop.

'Don't go anywhere with that, I might need it for tomorrow!'

Should I be cruel and not anneal it for her?

I can imagine the air turning bluer than a guiders trousers as they try to roll hard copper pipe around a 1/2" diameter former.

But there again, I'd have to bring her back from Leamington afterwards, and I don't think my ears could stand the strain!

With that trip out tomorrow in mind, I drew up a huge list of wants to collect at the Leamington show.

I've now pruned this down slightly, so all I now need is some Comet hornblocks and springs and a gearbox.

Perhaps I've overdone it on the pruning.

After the rain overnight, the sun is out but only when the clouds permit, although the sky to the SW is looking a lot bluer than what is currently overhead.

Dog walking in the next hour or so is probably on the cards as it will give me an opportunity to see how the 'pet' sheep at the farm are progressing.

Current situation is lambs due next week.

My sympathies to Dave and his bout of Shingles.  I had it not so long ago, and it is not pleasant.  It got me around the waist, it was very uncomfortable as I couldn't do my trousers up properly, so I was worried they might go into freefall and either embarrass or, cause me to fall over.

Neil, good luck with your future plans and I wish you well, but be warned, retirement is a myth!

You will find you are busier than you ever were when you were working.

• Like 7

We're headed to Leamington show tomorrow - no shopping list though - but might "just" see something.

Prior to that we're picking up compost for son, then going back there after the show. Cheese scones have been demanded.

Sandy's first aiding at a rugby tournament until 5, so she'll be home cold and understandably hungey, so better do something for her.

And now also fighting, along with the two laptops, two iPads (one work, one mine) and an iPhone. They're all going off together.

And the snoring dog under the desk is making her presence known (which means my immediate evacuation) by passing wind.  :stink:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ashers,

Not had it before!

I've just checked the leaflet - thanks for the heads up - you can swallow them with a little water or dissolve them in water.

Thanks to you all for your sympathy and best wishes.

Cheers,

Dave

I always understood that it was inadvisable to take tablets 'dry' if they were soluble in water, they're easier to take dissolved anyway. On the subject of tablets, did you know that if a snake eats Alka-Seltzer it will explode!

• RMweb Premium

Here is an important announcement:

"I have a bun in the oven!" :swoon:

:mosking: well actually, it`s a bun-loaf and a couple of loaves of zucchini-bread. :nyam:

There's no 'shocked and stunned' button, so settled for 'funny' :jester:

Richard, it's not real retirement, just a change of job (if it comes off) really, but taking my superannuation to ease finances.  Less stress will be the main improvement, while we're on health as a subject! We came here to ease work stress to begin with, I seem to have forgotten that and become involved in steadily more stressful work once again, only I'm 12 years older now. :nono:   Reset life time. :sungum:   A grumpiness reduction plan that Mrs H is very supportive of.

• Like 7

Blimey, that was quick.  BT man phoned to let me know he was working on our line.  Arrived 10 minutes later.  Another 10 minutes and he was done.  Speed test shows 74Mbps.  Now off to test it's not all smoke and mirrors…:-)

My thoughts go to those in poor health.  Shingles is horrible.  I seem to recall it is unlikely you can get it more than once, so I've done my bit 30 years ago...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Been offline for a couple of days as other things have got in the way.  Nine pages to catch up on now since Tuesday - my how ERs has grown.  Not sure that I've really got time to plough through it all, so if I've  missed anything important, please forgive me.

Wednesday, loaded all the shopping into the fridge and freezer, and discovered that the freezer part was full of ice already - so a call to the service people has resulted in yet another repair man coming out - latest diagnosis is that the compressor is running for too long, then cutting out for too long, and as a result, the whole thing is not cooling down properly and the freezer is not getting below about -6 and the fridge is at about +7.  It's always been like this, since new, and I thought that this was how it should be.  Now it seems that it has probably been faulty for several years - the upshot is that it needs a new compressor and a regas.  So hopefully the next visit will end with a fridge that will work as it should have done - and it should save on the electricity as well, as I suspect that running up all the time like this is costing some juice!  I've got to say it's the first time I've ever had a major problem with a Bosch appliance.

Anyhows, 30747 wants me to do other "sensible" things on the laptop, so I'd best get on.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does she want a job????  :angel:

"Have gun, will travel"? I did notice as she walked back up the drive to her van that her uniform trousers certainly fit.....

And she repeated her offer from last year - let her know if I'm away, and they'll keep an eye open. As Sheena will be horse/cat-visiting daily, not really necessary, but nice all the same.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, that was quick.  BT man phoned to let me know he was working on our line.  Arrived 10 minutes later.  Another 10 minutes and he was done.  Speed test shows 74Mbps.  Now off to test it's not all smoke and mirrors…:-)

That sounds similar to our experience. What really seemed to make a noticeable difference was the significantly faster upload speed.

Tony

..........My thoughts go to those in poor health.  Shingles is horrible.  I seem to recall it is unlikely you can get it more than once, so I've done my bit 30 years ago...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it is possible to have Shingles more than once - I've recently met someone who suffers from it frequently; this seems to be more likely as we age. The difference now (compared with 30 years ago) is that the tablets, if prescribed early enough, can reduce the severity of the attack.

Keep well out there!

I agree with that and once you get past 20Mbps I don't really notice any difference..... I wonder why? It must be as fast as my brain functions.... :mail:

Best, Pete.

I have noticed that the headline figure isn`t the full story: "traffic-shaping" (and they`re all at it; despite protestations to the contrary by some of the big players) especially at certain times of the day, can make things seem quite slow in reality.

The interweb is a busy place with streaming and on-demand being on the up, `though such 'throttling' is (evidently) "only done to preserve the good browsing experience of the majority". :beee: