The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Carritt 'as the roit oidea abaht moles...... a shotgun is the one and only cure! For a tiny creature they can't half make a mess!!  I was told mothballs dropped in the tunnels were the best - the little bu99ers just popped them all back up again!!!

Does anyone remember Michael Bentine's "It's a square world"? That had an ongoing saga about worms in window-boxes.

• Like 5

my mum used to call me a "tea-jenny"... has anyone else ever heard of that expression or was it peculiar to just my earlier life?

Since no-one seems to have commented on that, I'll say "Yes". I heard that expression fairly often when growing up.

• RMweb Gold

We had a neighbour that gave me Rupert Annuals every Christmas until I was 16 - I was with Decca Records by then....

Best, Pete.

I hope you looked after them - older copies in v.v.good condition are almost as good as some of the not entirely rare singles of that vintage (but nowhere near as valuable as the really rare singles and unissued & demo singles).

Edited by The Stationmaster

Been to the Doctor's - it seems that nasty red rash is shingles - Oh b*gg*r

Now on (large) tablets - 5 a day for seven days!

And it's raining again the the capital city of the principality!

Dave

Dave

:O Shingles!..............Oh gosh, Dave; every sympathy!

• RMweb Premium

Unlucky Dave. Hopefully the tablets will minimise the nasties. If they are similar to the ones I had for chicken pox when I was in my late forties they will help with viral whatevers but may present you with some challenges later. Think pushing housebricks through the eye of a needle while sitting down!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I had various phone calls this evening.

Aditi rang from Lakeside (for those who are not local, a shopping mall/centre near Dartford Tunnel on the Essex side) sounding quite cheerful indulging in some successful shopping. She told me that she had gone to see her manager and told him Matthew's graduation was in a "no leave allowed" week and she was going. He said "Yes".

However Matthew was very pleased to let me know he has got on this scheme in Melbourne and will be in Australia on the graduation day! He has promised to not leave the country for a graduation if he gets a Masters degree!

Matthew was hoping to go to Kalingrad at Easter to meet some Russian students in a geography society. However it appears that no-one going has got a visa yet. Possibly due to the military manoeuvres that Poland and Lithuania are complaining about? Normally these meetings are somewhere in the EU but as the Russians always need a visa it was thought the nearest Russian territory would give the Russians less paperwork this time. Bad timing really!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Excellent! That's Morocco mole with secret squirrel in the cartoons!

What those two animals have in common is that my cat has brought both into my house at one time or another - in the case of the mole it was the same mole on several consective days!

The other famous cartoon mole's first name is??

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

My brother (he must have been about 2 or 3 )was singing "I am a mole and I live in a hole" when he rode his tricycle out of the kitchen and down the few stairs to the garden. He needed stitches in the gash on his head. My mother put him in the pushchair and ran to the local hospital. I was walking home from infant school as my Mum sprinted past in the opposite direction telling me to go a neighbours house. Apparently my brother was really good until he saw the needle!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent! That's Morocco mole with secret squirrel in the cartoons!

What those two animals have in common is that my cat has brought both into my house at one time or another - in the case of tge mole it was the same mole on several consective days!

The other famous cartoon mole's first name is??

Penfold, code name Jigsaw as he goes to pieces in a crisis!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that I am mistaken. I always thought Dangermouse's assistant was a mole but according to Wikipedia Penfold is a hamster.

So who is the other cartoon mole?

Dave

Bad luck, Dave. That isn't good news. I had my first bout at 19 and my second in October, 2012, aged  62! As far as the tablets go, do check the instructions. Unusually for me, I didn't and it was only towards the end of the course that I realised these huge things should have been dissolved in water!! Duh! They do seem to prevent the illness being too severe so it's worth persevering with them. I think I felt below par for two or three weeks; perhaps you've had it before so know what to expect.

No doubt your GP will have told you to rest plenty. I found that was the key. Some days I would wake up feeling better, take a shower and dress and then need to rest! Sorry to sound dismal but I hope the advice is helpful.

All the best for your recovery.

• RMweb Premium

Been busy and just finished another cricket scorer training session..

Can I return to the subject of coffee?

Make strong brew of coffee.

Half fill mug with said coffee

Add either fuggles condensed milk or baileys....

Have a lie down....

Makes all coffee taste good..

Have a peaceful evening..TGIF approaches.....

Then on Saturday it will be time for my holidays

Yippeeddooooo!

• Like 3

Bad luck, Dave. That isn't good news. I had my first bout at 19 and my second in October, 2012, aged  62! As far as the tablets go, do check the instructions. Unusually for me, I didn't and it was only towards the end of the course that I realised these huge things should have been dissolved in water!! Duh! They do seem to prevent the illness being too severe so it's worth persevering with them. I think I felt below par for two or three weeks; perhaps you've had it before so know what to expect.

No doubt your GP will have told you to rest plenty. I found that was the key. Some days I would wake up feeling better, take a shower and dress and then need to rest! Sorry to sound dismal but I hope the advice is helpful.

All the best for your recovery.

Sherry, Is it true that you cannot get Shingles unless you also had Chicken Pox when younger?

Best, Pete.

I hope you looked after them - older copies in v.v.good condition are almost as good as some of the not entirely rare singles of that vintage (but nowhere near as valuable as the really rare singles and unissued & demo singles).

I've got The Beatles "White Album" number 0000* - unfortunately it's the CD version. the "boys" all got 0001. They really are all numbered consecutively - a printers nightmare. All made in the old Swindon plant btw.

Best, Pete.

* out of four, the others went to Bhaskar Menon, one to the MD of EMIR Uk - I can't remember who had the other.

Edited by trisonic

Dave

Dave you have my sympathy. I had it in my eye and on my head. Three and a half years later, I am still suffering from constant Post-Herpetic Neuralgia. Not nice at all. As Sherry advises, take it easy.