The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A surreal sort of day, muntjac deer in the garden all day - I accidentally disturbed one whilst feeding the birds - here's the doe before I'd chased them - they came back, I wonder if they are living nearby.

post-6662-0-26335800-1393604980.jpg

My plans for the day were to take lunch around 15:00 and catch the tanks from North Walsham and an ECS move (a 47 and two repainted coaches) which were due to pass Diss around 15:45. Annoyingly the tanks ran early today and due to problems at a customer site I couldn't get them but I went out for the stock move

47853, Rail Express on 5Z55, 12:21, Wolverton Centre Siding - Norwich ECS (12091 and 11096)

Gissing

28 February 2014

post-6662-0-29265600-1393605170.jpg

I headed home and as I was driving along a lane a white pigeon landed in a tree next to me ... hold on, white pigeon, with a round face ????? - reversed to find this owl looking for food, it wouldn't look directly at me. The light wasn't good but still nice to get a close up

post-6662-0-98951700-1393605290.jpg

I headed home, feeling happy (grumpy had got out of the car), as I drove down the lane to the village I caught sight of a flash in a ditch, no, surely not ? but yes, another owl !

This one flew off before I got too near but I still managed a couple of reasonable shots.

post-6662-0-91981300-1393605382.jpg

post-6662-0-83986200-1393605385.jpg

Have a good day all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I know what I'm going to do but what would you do? 12" of snow is only just over an an inch of rain....it can happen anywhere.

I notice that the northern jet stream is now flowing to the south of the British Isles - maybe Winter at last?

Best, Pete.

Sorry Pete couldn't resist it after telling us all about the snow blower your post sounded like the snow was getting you down.

If it were me I would wait for it to stop before getting the showel out. I have dug 3ft of snow off 100ft of drive in the past not sure my back could take it now. As I said plenty of time for snow here. If fact I can remember cycling to work in a snowstorm in June (Shropshire Hills rather than  Minehead).

Don

'Early turn'

attachicon.gifP1100388 (Medium).JPG

Are you trying to tempt me?

Don

... traffic from Lancaster to Morrisons was dreadful - so I took an alternative route, and got a couple of hundred yards down it to see a "road closed" sign (something that we'll be seeing quite a lot as the Northern bypass is being built, and J34 remodelled), and the diversion was back to the original route so I was just in the same jam.  

Been there, done that.

On a more positive note, I had a productive day in the garden. Hacked down the buddleia and managed to stuff it all into the green wheelie bin. Packed it in so tight there was simply no room for any more. Feeling satisfied with myself I was about to close the lid when the spring popped out of my secuteurs and squirmed all the way to the bottom of the bin. I had to tip the bin upside down to get at the spring, then repack the bin. There were bits left over that went in the first time around. How does that happen? A bit of judicious brutality with a garden spade sorted that little problem. It's nice to be doing things in the garden in the sunshine, though I doubt that Winter has finished with us yet.  

• Like 2

Well, in the words of the prophet, "CHIEN MERDE"

'ello I wish to register a complaint (with apologies to ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE  )- apparently the weather-watchers/predictors don't know squat and don't even have windows to check from!!

It's now snowing moderately and a light wind blowing to boot and apparently not going to quit until we get a few more inches (nothing like Pete is in for) but more !#@$!@$!@$ snow and not forecast...

I may need to take a job as a weatherforecaster since apparently there is ZERO requirement to be accurate, in your job description <grumble>

Don't want to worry you guys, but I cut the grass on Wednesday.

Aargh, first cut of the year, so there goes my freedom at weekends..

About 2 years ago we finally outsourced the mowing - takes about 2-hours to mow the mess here and with the kids gone, there was no-one to throw out there and get it done, except ME!

The BETTER news is the the "nice young man", as the Mrs puts it, runs a lawn/yard service in the summer and a snowplowing/shovelling service in the winter.

All that happens now when it snows is we get woken earlier than usual as he's out there plowing the driveway before we get up after overnight snows! :)

Summer is even better, just sit on the back deck with a G&T and revel in the sight of a neatly mowed/trimmed lawn without the annoyance of having just spent two hours pissing my life away behind a noisy mower!!!! :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

To contradict their own contradiction - it now stopped after less than 3/4 inch of snow fell - I am resolved to ask Bob (my train invader cat) for all future weather forecasts, he'll have more of a clue than anyone as he spends a LOT of the day looking out the window...

• RMweb Gold

To contradict their own contradiction - it now stopped after less than 3/4 inch of snow fell - I am resolved to ask Bob (my train invader cat) for all future weather forecasts, he'll have more of a clue than anyone as he spends a LOT of the day looking out the window...

Robbie being of the working cocker dog variety is an expert weather forecaster. It is always "walkies" weather. 

"Where do you want us to put it?" -

post-1771-0-57982000-1393623479.jpg

This 107-year old house was being moved this morning in our town. It's actually the third time it's been moved in the last 10 years. It was a private house, then was moved and became a pizza restaurant, then was moved to a temporary location, as the rapid transit line was being built through its previous location. It is now to be an extension to an arts centre (the old city hall) that you can just see on the right of the picture. It's not uncommon for buildings to be moved here. One company used to have a selection of houses in their yard - you could buy one and have it moved to your own site. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

"Where do you want us to put it?" -

attachicon.gif1-IMG_3642.JPG

This 107-year old house was being moved this morning in our town. It's actually the third time it's been moved in the last 10 years. It was a private house, then was moved and became a pizza restaurant, then was moved to a temporary location, as the rapid transit line was being built through its previous location. It is now to be an extension to an arts centre (the old city hall) that you can just see on the right of the picture. It's not uncommon for buildings to be moved here. One company used to have a selection of houses in their yard - you could buy one and have it moved to your own site. 

If it wasn't for UK planning regulations.

Rain WAS forecast but according to today's forecast has been moved to tomorrow afternoon. Clear blue sky at present with pretty cloud on the mountain top. 26C promised.

Cricket test starts in 3 hours time. Day organized.

Have a happy modelling Saturday.

I've moved houses a few times.

Don't think the method would work here - the house illustrated is several times wider than the roads.

Saw a bit of a TV programme a while ago showing how it was done.

An early morning ballast through Diss finds me up at this early hour.

Now that is dedication to one's art... may your lens cloth never have grit on it.

After 2 cups of coffee, 6.30 am sees me about ready to jump back in my hole and wrestle with a sewer pipe. I wouldn't ordinarily risk waking my neighbours at this hour. Despite some evidence to the contrary, I am a nice considerate kind of guy really, but after 24 hours, you have no idea how much I'd like to be able to run a tap or flush a toilet! Tally ho.

• Like 2

:boast: Enjoying a nice day off today: a trip to the model railway exhibition at Rainhill..........although I`m sure it wont be a trial! :mosking:

Ray and Polly (RMweb`s 'Tender' and 'Southern42') are exhibiting their Camel Quay layout, it`ll be lovely to see them (and it). :good:

• Like 9

Good morning all, looks like I've got some free time this weekend so more work on the trolley looms. Liked the photos of NHN's "Fleet"...you said used 20's Neil,  but never specified the currency......! 

What you're up to today, try to enjoy, 

Trev.

Could that be a case of:

Dear Mr New Haven,

Chief (supply tribal name of choice) has been checking bank accounts and finds that you are the last surviving relative of (insert second name of choice). Said person has a deposit of numerous million Nigerian Pounds and US dollars which we will have to pay out to you. Please confirm you bank account details and your DNA by sending two live steam locomotives to:

TravelinTrev, third pylon from the generator, Upagumtree, Scam province, Nigeria.

Morning all,

Garden tidying finished last night. Looks rather smart, well the bit we've redesigned anyway! So, under the principle of "glass half full", we've done a third only a bit left to do!

Off to a diy shed later to buy bits for the garage. Plan is to get a least one wall insulated by the end of the weekend - or sooner. Slight logistical issue - car may not be big enough to take the 2.4m vertical bits of wood for the stud wall. Wish I'd had time earlier in the week to place a delivery-type order.   

Have a nice day everyone. Andy 

8:10am. 60 minutes hard graft and one new 5ft section of sewer pipe spliced into place and bedded in with sand. I've flushed the toilet 5 times just because I can!  :imsohappy: 

I still have the hole to fill in, but my 14yr old son is sitting on his bum with his head buried in some computer game or other. You should have seen his face when I handed him a shovel...

The weekend starts here. Whatever you're doing, have a good one.

post-17811-0-79842000-1393661472_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

A rather busy week, including Choir Practice, two rehearsals (one for "She Stoops To Conquer", the other for a Murder Mystery play to be performed at a church social) various Pre School admin tasks, leading a Primary School Assembly and a (routine) mammogram!

I managed to fit in a walk by the sea on Thursday so that was restorative and I've slept well, unsurprisingly!

Enjoy the weekend!

• Like 5