The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

shopping dorn, washing hung out (its sunny here at the mo..)

combe martin said...But, first, Excel.

I thought it was Lotus 123.... ducks and runs...

NHN - the BEL cars have probably been taken by the elves and pixies... and they will be safely back  in Barrow building submarines....

yes .... nearly time for my holidays starting to get demob happy(!)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Overnight rain has given way to bright sunshine. Severe weather warnings are in place, but we are only yellow, not orange or red. February fill-dyke has done what it says on the tin this year. I wonder if this is March "coming in like a lion" - and will it "go out like a lamb"?

As I've noted previously, there is a bit of a corridor club on facebook of ex-RMwebbers, although not all of them are rude about the place. The builder of the excellent St Mary Hoo layout has suddenly popped up, and is doing more great things. Interesting that one of those who I think he felt bullied him at the time is also apparently welcome on his page. Some wounds heal, apparently.

Hope your week ends on a high note, and the weather leaves you unscathed.

• RMweb Premium

Remarkably on the big railway I as near as achieved my stated career goal as made no difference - I was asked at a training scheme interview where I hoped to get and albeit in a very changed railway landscape I finished up as the deputy and regular seat sitter for the equivalent role (which I found quite amusing when ever I bothered to think about it) in a train operating company but it was by then a very different railway.

I said i wanted to be an Engineer .. I was for a while but all good things come to an end and I ended up as an Engineering Manager ...not as much fun but it did have its moments ..  the bit I liked best was when I acted as Research Director pro tem while my then boss was away - two weeks of engineering mayhem bliss as we  played with developed a new computer based tank gunnery simulator... happy times...  Of course now I am a ins consultant its all different

• Like 1

Please stop it with the little heart-shaped things! I'm honestly never happier than when playing in the mud. I've only just climbed out of my hole for a quick cuppa...

Quick phone call to Jewson confirms 8" plastic sewer pipe and couplings in stock. My neighbour paid £2000 to have a sewer replaced a few years back, so I reckon I'm £1890 up on the deal.

I shall climb back into my ditch with a smile on my face.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Found them!  This has taken a month.....

After a little walk around to clear the head that resulted in the opposite - a headache - another rummage in the garage revealed their carefully designed hide away.  I keep my G scale live steamers in tool boxes, the type with the handle on the top so they are easy to carry.  There's a fair sized pile of them, I have 9. (Always thought I had 8, must be time to trim the fleet I think!) In amongst this carefully organised pile #ahem# that lives under the HO layout, was a box that didn't quite fit the profile....with the missing 4 coaches in it, the 3 Belles (not that 'Doris' can be considered a Belle's name IMHO) and the Royal Mail car.  Relief, as this is about £150's worth of stock.  If it was warmer than 3c down there I might have had a play.

• Like 5

|i always understod that a little snow never worried folks over there :jester:

There is plenty of time to get enough snow to put us all in a pickle

Don

I know what I'm going to do but what would you do? 12" of snow is only just over an an inch of rain....it can happen anywhere.

I notice that the northern jet stream is now flowing to the south of the British Isles - maybe Winter at last?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I have an appontment with the surgeon in the UK who did my hip surgery in a few weeks for some follow up as I have been having some issues - so as it's our 30th wedding anniversary and my 55th birthday we had arranged to be over there at the time and have a little break too, so the ferry is booked and paid for, accommodation booked and paid for, appointment....cancelled. :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, it all looks Meh as the children would put it, from my pain in the bum to the weather also taking in MrsB's hip and my tooth.... So it is Friday and tomorrow is a new month I still haven't won anything. The Mansfield show is tomorrow and Sunday I have offered to take MrsB with me so she can see a layout with wagons on like the one we have just built and how well other people put Metcalfe kits together. After the week she has had I am not sure she will, but it would be an excursion that didn't involve shopping. Have an enjoyable weekend all even if it involves moaning about snow or the lack of it. 

• RMweb Gold

I have an appontment with the surgeon in the UK who did my hip surgery in a few weeks for some follow up as I have been having some issues - so as it's our 30th wedding anniversary and my 55th birthday we had arranged to be over there at the time and have a little break too, so the ferry is booked and paid for, accommodation booked and paid for, appointment....cancelled. :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

But Neil - if you sell one of those G scale steamers, as you posted earlier - that would pay for the break, now wouldn't it?

• RMweb Premium

OK, as I need to calm down a bit, here are some train photos (while Debs is at work), some recent goings-on at Groudle Glen in the closed season.

Progress on 'Brown Bear' our Bagnall replica continues, mostly stuff you can't see, but there are stretchers in place, Richard is fitting the horn guides here, and the cylinder casting (unmachined) is there for effect!

post-10195-0-88566500-1393592783_thumb.jpg

This is the fabricated front pony truck - the original is a casting, we can't afford that.

post-10195-0-80078500-1393592801_thumb.jpg

Recent works outdoors have been installing some drainage where we had damage last winter,

post-10195-0-44169200-1393592823_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-45785700-1393592842_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-47314700-1393592871_thumb.jpg

NHN's driving turn a week and a half ago.

You will see by the steepness of the glen what we're up against, hence having to fit ballast boards.  That straight length of track was relaid over the two weeks before too, we don't hang around when it's not raining, we have to take advantage of weather breaks.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 9

Neil's story of the missing coaches reminds me of when I sold up my layout. I listed and priced (very generously under priced) every item but could not find my Blue Train dining saloon. It was actually a Trans Karoo diner which I had very painstakingly painted in Blue Train livery. The layout had been completely dismantled and every salvaged item cleaned, tested, labeled, boxed, and sorted but still no BT diner. The LOT was bought by a dealer on the 2nd day of it being advertised for sale.

On finally vacating the flat and throwing out the rubbish accumulated over  36 years of occupation there was a Supermarket carrier bag containing the missing diner in the bottom of a built in cupboard buried beneath jars/tins of poster,acrylic,enamel etc.etc paints.

I can't remember now what I did with it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

There is a strange yellow thing in the sky, and it rained last night, just about the time that the Aurora Borealis was expected to be visible.  Just about summed up yesterday for me - 30747 called into work unexpectedly  - everything that I had to do got delayed - traffic from Lancaster to Morrisons was dreadful - so I took an alternative route, and got a couple of hundred yards down it to see a "road closed" sign (something that we'll be seeing quite a lot as the Northern bypass is being built, and J34 remodelled), and the diversion was back to the original route so I was just in the same jam.  Morrisons managed to mess up the bill, with a couple of special offers not taken off needed to be sorted at Customer (lack of) service.  Then burnt the dinner.  Moan over, but you know the sort of day.

Now then, a few thoughts for those retired or considering so - as part of your retirement preparations, I hope you are able to answer the following questions:

Do you know where the washing machine is, and how to work it.  Ditto the dishwasher.

Do you know what a Hoover is?  If no, find out - if yes, can do you know what is does and how to work it?

Do you really think that there's going to be lots of time for that magnum opus layout that you've been planning for decades?

Hey ho, I'm off to go elsewhere on the site.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now then, a few thoughts for those retired or considering so - as part of your retirement preparations, I hope you are able to answer the following questions:

Do you know where the washing machine is, and how to work it.  Ditto the dishwasher.

Do you know what a Hoover is?  If no, find out - if yes, can do you know what is does and how to work it?

Do you really think that there's going to be lots of time for that magnum opus layout that you've been planning for decades?

Hey ho, I'm off to go elsewhere on the site.

Regards to All

Stewart

Yes, Yes, Yes!

Yes but we have a Miele "Cat and Dog" not a Hoover.

I'd be happy with a box file though the roundy roundy should see me out!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Did you do that on purpose Mike?   :no:

Ed

Yes - for once :senile:

Which one do you want......???? :jester:

You mean I might have a use for those big bits of track lurking in 'the room'?  On the other hand having just paid the ransom on the car to get it back from servicing I'm wondering what I could perhaps sell.  But it did include two new tyres at £150 +vat each so they were due anyway as were filter changes and fluids topped up/replaced.  However the best bit was when the bloke asked if everything was satisfactory and I watched his face as I carefully explained to him what of their 'attention to my needs' was exactly the opposite to satisfactory.

On the subject of the daft fence at Twyford close examination today revealed that provided you have the right key to fit the padlock it should be practicable to padlock the gates in the open position - the padlock looks very like the former WR standard lineside gate padlock, I wonder where I left my old keyring? ... te he he. 

Best of luck Pete - that's plenty of snow to deal with, even if it comes down at a fairly slow rate...keep the shovel handy and make sure you have the most important supplies - amply quantities of favourite foods and beverages :)

We've still got about 30" compressed snow depth on the ground, but with the exception of a "dusting" (if the weather-guessers are anywhere near correct...) this weekend we're possibly free of additional snow fall for a while - just remaining bloody cold :(

-17 now, who's cares, who's counting any more... all the local roads are essentially skating rinks as there is not enough warmth to START to get the ice treatments to work.

I may go to a "local" train show tomorrow (90 miles away, but they are few and far, literally, between here and as an RM local Brit, AND another "Ian" is exibiting I'd like to try), mostly depends on if I want to get up too early, rush up there and leave by noon in time to get back and watch my son "jump in the lake" for the Special Olympic Polar Plunge charity event. Wish his team was jumping earlier rather than 2:30 <sigh>, like 9AM!

Besides that, should be a good/great weekend for modelling - the railway modeller in the house (guess who :senile:  :boast: ) has a birthday Sunday so should be afforded some "flexibility" in what he wants to do - I LIVE IN HOPE!! :jester: