The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon..

what a day!

Dracula's sister was the odd 30 minutes late and then explained to me that Metal formin tablets may have unpleasant side effects (some of which are not in the standard paperwork) - topped up my prescription but no tests done.....(good job too as blood pressure was at simmer before explosion level!) I also had to remind her that I have had my eyes photographed/tested /attacked with needles so I don't need to go for a "diabetes eye photograph"

Off into town late nut got to the clubrooms 5 minutes after video shooting started elsewhere in the  complex... got to 1:20 still no camera/lights/action.. but luckily one of our other club members turned up to do "elementary baseboard building" - so I left my stock on the layouts and went off to see my Accountant who now needs to do two tax returns for me...

Got home a lot later than I anticipated and open up a letter telling me I need to book my appointment for my "diabetes eye photograph"... I will ring them tomorrow as someone may need to understand my sense of humour failure..... 

so sitting calm having a cup of coffee (the real stuff) to stay calm with.....

Off out tonight to the Leeds MRS but first Haggis, neeps and tatties for tea... yummy!

Dr Station Cat -- did you go and try the Sacher torte during your visit?  It is unbelievably scrummy .... and they ship it across the world I believe

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Science club done. 15 minutes in and you start playing "Where's the teacher keep the gin."

Actually wasn't that bad considering we had about 10 kg of melting jelly, 150 marshmallows and pointy sticks and twenty excitable children. 

Just about to be switched to a water meter, so laying the turf sort of makes sense to my stingy nature. :)

Here's a wheeze. Anyone been given a Sainsbury's "Save 50p on your next shop provided you remember to bring the ticket back in again." My solution is simple. 

They give you the ticket and with a smile you hand it to the person next in the queue, saying "Have 50p and a nice day". Works a treat !

Andy  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Debs leading the way today with updating, so I shall follow suit:

Technical and decorating update:

Shower leak fixed. Traced to a loose waste pipe, although I also replaced the silicon seal and re-grouted the lower half  of the shower, just to be on the safe side.

Bathroom door finally rehung and looking much better.

Robin nest box mounted on wall.  'To Let' sign deployed, and we've already had some viewings.

However, slight disaster in the leaks department, as I've found some nice mouldy patches behind my workbench in the workshop, where the window has been leaking.

Fortunately this will be taken care of in the upcoming refurbishment program for the workshop which includes new windows and frames.

By the time I'll have finished this re furb, nearly all the timber cladding will have been replaced, leaving only the frame and roof as original (and the roof was protected by industrial quality roofing felt put on with hot tar!).

Out trip to Waitrose was fun....................

After the Germanic speed and efficiency of Aldi.............. Schnell! Schnell! 

Waitrose was very leisurely, so much so that I thought the lady operating the till was going to produce a reciept from freshly hand woven cloth, would mill my flour to order, and grow the bunch of flowers whilst I waited at the check out!

No wonder you can get a free cup of coffee and a newspaper.  Perhaps it would have been more efficient use of my time if I could have sat down for lunch whilst I waited!

Still, I note that Mike the Stationmaster did comment on Waitrose on a Wednesday, so it was probably my fault for getting in the fast queue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Collies probably fixed it while you were sleeping!

Have they had their trip out yet? Robbie seems to think proper walks always require a journey, even a short one, in the car first!

Is it per chance the area walked. Ours seem to prefer to walk out of the gate and up the lane onto Exmoor but there is plenty of wildlife almost guarranteed to hear a pheasant or two, pick up the scent of foxes and deer. Mind you they do not seem to put out if instead we turn and walk through the town footpaths.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Waitrose was very leisurely, so much so that I thought the lady operating the till was going to produce a reciept from freshly hand woven cloth, would mill my flour to order, and grow the bunch of flowers whilst I waited at the check out!

No wonder you can get a free cup of coffee and a newspaper.  Perhaps it would have been more efficient use of my time if I could have sat down for lunch whilst I waited!

Still, I note that Mike the Stationmaster did comment on Waitrose on a Wednesday, so it was probably my fault for getting in the fast queue.

When the big supermarket shake-up happened in the UK about a dozen or so years ago, our local Somerfield in Cranbrook became a Co-op. Not a problem to us. But Mr and Mrs Sniffy Volvo couldn't bear the thought of Co-op and flat caps, so they decamped to Tenterden, where there is a pay car-park that gives you a voucher redeemable in Waitrose, or Paddock Wood where Somerfield was now Waitrose. Mad.

My misgivings about today's weather were unfair. By lunchtime it was promising, by 2 it was sunny and warm-ish. So I spent some time in the field with post-hole borers, going down a couple of feet to put in new posts. Quite soft near the surface, thanks to all the rain, but was soon in real clay and pretty dry, too. We did have a squall of heavy rain with rainbows etc just as I set off to feed the horses - where it was dry.......

Afternoon..

what a day!

Dracula's sister was the odd 30 minutes late and then explained to me that Metal formin tablets may have unpleasant side effects (some of which are not in the standard paperwork) - topped up my prescription but no tests done.....(good job too as blood pressure was at simmer before explosion level!) I also had to remind her that I have had my eyes photographed/tested /attacked with needles so I don't need to go for a "diabetes eye photograph"

Off into town late nut got to the clubrooms 5 minutes after video shooting started elsewhere in the  complex... got to 1:20 still no camera/lights/action.. but luckily one of our other club members turned up to do "elementary baseboard building" - so I left my stock on the layouts and went off to see my Accountant who now needs to do two tax returns for me...

Got home a lot later than I anticipated and open up a letter telling me I need to book my appointment for my "diabetes eye photograph"... I will ring them tomorrow as someone may need to understand my sense of humour failure..... 

so sitting calm having a cup of coffee (the real stuff) to stay calm with.....

Off out tonight to the Leeds MRS but first Haggis, neeps and tatties for tea... yummy!

Dr Station Cat -- did you go and try the Sacher torte during your visit?  It is unbelievably scrummy .... and they ship it across the world I believe

I was very good and ate no cake at all. Not sure how that happened.

• RMweb Gold

I've had Sachertorte (genuine and generic) and it is quite nice. I haven't been in the Hotel Sacher but Aditi went in to use the loos. We went to Vienna in 1985 on a day trip from Wolfgangsee. We do intend to return and stay a bit longer!

Tony

• Like 2

So here's the view from the Skyway in St. Paul of Union Station and the new light-rail line with shiny new train suitably positioned - the line doesn't open until June, they're only running trials and training staff and drivers at present. President Obama visited the servicing building for the light-rail (red circle in background at end of line about 1/4 mile away), and then spoke in Union Station.

post-20244-0-93976100-1393449279.jpg

Unfortunately, in spite of it appearing he would go in through the grand entrance (green circle) they somehow took him in at the back of the building though the tradesmans entrance, so this is the best picture of his "visit" I got <grumble>

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear that the Happy Hippo is finding Waitrose 'interesting' - checkout speeds do seem to vary and most of ours are pretty good especially Doreen (who was in my mum's class at infants school a long time ago).

Early start tomorrow as the car is going in for servicing/MoT so whilst it's in the hands of the garage we'll be off into Reading looking for a suitcase big enough for all our cold weather gear and probably tickling up the building society for a mortgage to pay the garage bill - I s'pose I ought really not to complain as the cost of the MoT and service plus consumables should average out at a less breathtaking figure when you look at it on a weekly basis over a year, perhaps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning we'll it's early hours in the UK, still evening here in sunny Florida. Though one or two of the natives are grumbling about the weather with a cold front moving in on Friday bringing the temp down to around 74f and a mind blowing cold of 57 f at dawn.

Speaking to lots of people from further North who say it's been one of the coldest winters they can remember and watching the weather forecasts I can see why they escaped down here.

Realised again that Golf is a frustrating game blew the match on the last three holes though going in the water on two of them didn't help I suppose.

Seems everyone is in good form,Sachertorte not to be missed when in Vienna it seems, must admit I enjoyed mine.

Seems to have gone quiet on the news (Internet) re the floods from what I can see, is it improving?

Anyway enjoy your day whatever your doing

• Like 4

Yes, Alan - not quite so vicious now but still plenty of rain about.

Don't know how long it's going to take to clear up the destruction.

Having been flooded twice in previous years, I have every sympathy for those still underwater.

Some farm land will take years to get right.

Watch out for hosepipe bans.

Morning all, 

Well yesterdays "VIP" visit was cancelled at the last minute (as I had predicted). But never mind eh? Which was probably a good thing 'cause I was having one of my "down" days yesterday... so far this morning I seem OK, just hope the wheel-re-inventors keep out of my way!

Try and have a good day,

Trev. 

Morning All,

I know exactly what Trev means by "wheel-re-inventors".

It is a rather mild morning, with broken cloud currently - but it looks like the cloud may be increasing.  Rain is forecast for later.

I am not really awake yet, so I think it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still dark but light enough to see that it is raining. I think it is supposed to be cool and showery today. 

It has been suggested that I tidy up downstairs as I'll be getting a visitor later bringing some financial paperwork over.

Aditi has her annual performance review (she hasn't had one for at least 3 years!). 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Overcast outside, but slept better, and also got one lesson planned out yesterday. Now having a cuppa and then I'll be off for some procurements, first of all...

And introducing Green Cargo's Re 1424:

re1424qiktn.jpg

Will yet need to highlight the side window seals with some black paint, as well as some of the bogie cabling. Pantographs will need to be painted grey like the roof, too.

I've had Sachertorte (genuine and generic) and it is quite nice. I haven't been in the Hotel Sacher but Aditi went in to use the loos. We went to Vienna in 1985 on a day trip from Wolfgangsee. We do intend to return and stay a bit longer!

Tony

Sachertorte is my favourite cake!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Overcast outside, but slept better, and also got one lesson planned out yesterday. Now having a cuppa and then I'll be off for some procurements, first of all...

And introducing Green Cargo's Re 1424:

re1424qiktn.jpg

Will yet need to highlight the side window seals with some black paint, as well as some of the bogie cabling. Pantographs will need to be painted grey like the roof, too.

Sachertorte is my favourite cake!

I think there were two railion red ones of these trundling round a layout at Leeds club last night...

Cup of tea time.her indoors off to teach early today. Dawn has broken but its still a bit too dark to see what the weather is but it doesn't sound like it is raining.

Reinventors of wheels always seem to be non engineers and link it to financial savings..which always end up costing more...

Have a GREAT thursday!

Morning all!

Been missing for a couple of days as real life took over!

Yesterday, we visited friends in Kingswear who are staying with family in a lovely house with views of the River Dart and the boats moored in Dartmouth. We travelled back via Coleton Fishacre (NT) which is well worth visiting if you like Art Deco. It's a house in which one can imagine living and the gardens are beautiful.

Out early to lead Assembly at a local school! Then a walk by Meadfoot beach, perhaps as we have a fine morning.

Have a good day!

• Like 6

Still on the consumption of "used" marshmallows and earthquake jelly;

" after they've had a dozen kids rolling them round on the tables and in their hands I wouldn't fancy it.

But that's how kids develop immunity!

Being single handed I used my mouth/teeth as a second hand. I never had any of the childhood sicknesses that all my mates suffered.

Mud pies are GOOD for you.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Interesting to note Dr Station Cat got an "Indecipherable" about cake from SM Mike. And Doreen in his Waitrose must be well past 80? I hope I'm up to checkout skills at that age! I was last in Vienna more than 40 years ago, but can be quite categoric that I did not sit in any cafes eating cake!

A wet morning, so the garden may not get much attention today. Cleaner Alison will be here p.m., so that is entertaining, at least.

Hope your day is up to scratch.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet, windy and 7oC. Hopefully it will brighten up about noon and there may be some sunny periods for a couple of hours this afternoon and then more wind & rain.

Tea delivered to Chris who informs me that I need to get a move on as we are visiting Sainsbury's  emporium for essential supplies & need to get back in time for parcels bearing postie!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and a damp and drizzly one it is too.

Just right for the wildflower turf laying later! The downside is that the delivery notes says I have to be at home to sign for the delivery or they will take it back again? So, that means I can't get to Wickes/B&Q to get supplies for the garage insulating project. Grrr. 

That Green Cargo loco looks very smart - don't think too much weathering would be appropriate. That's one loco that should be kept clean, imho. 

I'm keeping clear of the cake-related posts as I don't want to pick up any calories by association.    :no:  

"Unfortunately, in spite of it appearing he would go in through the grand entrance (green circle) they somehow took him in at the back of the building though the tradesmans entrance, so this is the best picture of his "visit" I got <grumble>"  Ian, it does seem to me that the man has remembered that he works for you guys and not vice versa. :) 

Anyway, have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, not raining now but had heavy rain in the night. Light grey clouds are visible but not very big. Pain in the leg is worse not better so standing about and walking will be the method for today.

Spoke too soon raining again!

Edited by skipepsi

Thursday`s plan: coffee, walkies, reprovisioning (as dog-grub levels are critically low), followed by a visit to the engineer`s merchant to collect some key-steel and to have a nosey about in their stores. :locomotive:

..........did I just hear mention of "snow warning" on the radio`s weather adv. forecast? :O

• Like 7