The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Here's another: "Why, oh, Why?"

Why is it that OEM batteries included with items last far longer than any premium replacement brand available in stores? I've got an AA battery in front of me branded SAGITAR that has lasted like forever in my travel toothbrush - much longer than any comparable Ever Ready or Duracell....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

Back from an enjoyable 'Model Rail' in Glasgow, helping Chris Gilbert with North Haston. Performed very well once we had upgraded to a 5amp NCE system. It would have been a VERY enjoyable time as opposed to just an enjoyable one, had I not come down with a whopping cold just over a week after I had got rid of flu, and single-handedly created a national shortage of Kleenex tissues. My wife did suggest that this particular exhibition does me no good at all, as last year I had an eye haemorrhage whilst I was there!

Edited by Steve Williams

• RMweb Premium

Why is that OEM batteries included with items last far longer than any premium replacement brand available in stores? I've got an AA battery in front of me branded SAGITAR that has lasted like forever in my travel toothbrush - much longer than any comparable Ever Ready or Duracell....

Best, Pete.

This is one of lifes little mysteries Pete....

• RMweb Premium

Ah, modern diesels....got two, scary electronic injection and turbos on both.  My last car was a Citroen ZX which was good old fashioned mechanical injection, totally home maintenance friendly.  What was a new Focus six years ago is already proving to be less economical and more fragile (dual mass flywheel - a grand to fix it) with only half the milage on it the ZX had.  It has a funny occasional 'misfire' no-one can pin down (diagnostic electronics - ha!) without spending a kings ransom changing many components until it goes away....it does go like stink though, for a diesel estate.  I was going to chop it in while it is still worth 'something' but the possibility of my, er, change of circumstances this year has put the kybosh on that.

The Fiat campervan has so far proved to be OK, so much for Fix It Again Tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold

Since I left the UK in 2004, I have correctly paid all my tax in France, as required by EU regulations. But now I am also paid a UK state old-age pension, that, under EU rules, is taxable in the country of payment. So when I got a letter from the UK taxman today, the first in many years, I expected him to inform me of the circs or even demand something. Not so.

"Your tax code for the year from 6 April 2014 to 5th April 2015 is NT. XX Pensions Management will use this tax code to take the right tax from the amount they pay you.

SNIP [unimportant stuff about checking things look correct]

XX Pensions Management will use code NT for this tax year. This means XX Pensions Management will not take any tax off your income."

Good to know you UK taxpayers are funding such a helpful document and its postage costs to France!

• Like 1

Why is it that OEM batteries included with items last far longer than any premium replacement brand available in stores? I've got an AA battery in front of me branded SAGITAR that has lasted like forever in my travel toothbrush - much longer than any comparable Ever Ready or Duracell....

Best, Pete.

My Father and Mother went to Moscow by train in 1977.........long before Glasnost opened-up opportunities for such tourism (they were rather adventurous in their youth!).

On that trip, they bought a Russian, bedside plastic (cheap) clock, powered by a single, cardboard-wrapped, zinc-carbon 'C' cell battery, which powered that clock until the clock itself died; only last year!

Remarking upon the continued life of that battery had become something of a family tradition each new-year. :D

It`s ironic that I seem to buy more replacement batteries now, than I`ve ever done in the past........despite the claims for longevity made by that blinkin` drumming-Bunny! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Since I left the UK in 2004, I have correctly paid all my tax in France, as required by EU regulations. But now I am also paid a UK state old-age pension, that, under EU rules, is taxable in the country of payment. So when I got a letter from the UK taxman today, the first in many years, I expected him to inform me of the circs or even demand something. Not so.

"Your tax code for the year from 6 April 2014 to 5th April 2015 is NT. XX Pensions Management will use this tax code to take the right tax from the amount they pay you.

SNIP [unimportant stuff about checking things look correct]

XX Pensions Management will use code NT for this tax year. This means XX Pensions Management will not take any tax off your income."

Good to know you UK taxpayers are funding such a helpful document and its postage costs to France!

Us pensioners who have an occupational pension as well as the state pension here in the UK are paying it. I might add that I do not begrudge your not paying tax, the villain is Norman Lamont. 

• RMweb Premium

The Chief Executive of our District Council is also the Chief Executive of a neighbouring District Council - so if a single person can do theat job for two councils I am left with the distinct impression that some of the more senior posts in local councils are probably only there to decorate the office furniture.  meanwhile of course they hack away at the frontline folk who actually do most of the work.

I worked for a London Borough for thirty seven almost thirty eight years. One of these wastes of oxygen insisted on 'exerting his authority' the result being that my line manager, who knew more than anybody about the job walked out telling him where to put the job. I put in for early retirement the following morning.

Reason for edit, spelling.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday Robert...

Wow!! Work overtook me early today (way too much SQL to fix for the current client I'm working with - their developer did a runner just after Christmas and left them with a VERY LARGE HANDFUL of C!@#$!A!@$P!!)

Getting in here this late means a LOT of reading, but I think I've caught up - too much to really respond to directly, but at least know I read it all and care/sympathise/enjoy/understand/relate to everything <phew> :)

-18C at NOON, blimey, it's going to be stupidly cold FOREVER here! Low -25 tonight and never higher overnight for about the next 5 days. The brass monkey is really REALLY unhappy!

Will look back in later, have a great day - what's left of it for you over the pond

• RMweb Gold

There is not much point in blamming the planners if they reject a developer they know they will face an appeal which typically will cost the council £80k to fight and the Minister will probably rule (or one of the inspectors will) that it can go ahead as government policy is a presumption in favour of development, As most councils are strapped for cash the planners are not going to be popular with there bosses. In Gruff's case upsetting 256 households is little consequence to the coucillors so unless some of them live in the village.....

I am not impressed at all with local councils but planning permission is one area where the government is setting the policy and letting the councils take the blame. How I wish we lived in a democracy rather than be allowed to choose which set of dictators we have for the next five years.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Here, planning issues are really dealt with locally, although where appeals go I know not. But a few years back, when houses in the coastal Vendee were suddenly found to be at flood risk in bad weather, and 50 people died - the mayor was arrested.....

• Like 1

I wonder if the old cells have a lot of toxic nastiness inside that they are now not allowed to use?  Seems to be the way now, anything that works is banned!

I dunno. My amazing long lasting battery states No Cadmium, No Mercury. Of course it is easy to write that....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

May have missed an earlier posting, but which one have you bought?

Epson V700 - a bit old but the batch scanning means (within my price range) it comes out tops. Tomorrow I should have some samples.

Epson V700 - a bit old but the batch scanning means (within my price range) it comes out tops. Tomorrow I should have some samples.

That's the one I have my eye on. We use a couple at the museum. Big chunky b*****s and they wouldn't win any prizes for elegance, but they get very good reviews on the whole.