The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

but my guesswork suggests it might be Waitrose although the exciting bit is guessing which branch - such is life when you get to be 'of an age'.  

I think Aditi must have read one of those books about how to keep zoo animals minds active. After playing "find the hidden shopping list"  I too can have the choice of supermarket. I suppose I do the same with Robbie, asking him whether we should go left or right in the park. Straight on would be another choice but not at the moment due to the depth of water that way!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, slept in this morning but it is still sunny here if a little windy. The birds think it is spring and they are trying to infest the loft again. I suspect we still have some winter weather to come, I would like to be proved wrong but... Going shopping again......

Alison's upbeat mood had evaporated by the time she got here yesterday - but, as she says, she always leaves with a smile on her face! Good fun.

Hope your week finishes on a high note.

That's the way to do it! Inspiring.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not far off, Barry! I do know a couple of others, but have never discovered a club as such.  I understand there was one, but was very 'clique-y', if you don't model Manx then you were forever an outsider sort of thing.  As I model USA...... :O  :O  :O

We have an informal G scale group that visit each others lines which works well, when it's not raining.  July 21st this year I think that's going to be! :jester:   There is a thriving OO and G scale dealership on the island (mainly e-business but does have a shop front too) but as I have associations with it in a small way I shouldn't say any more or I'll get moderated. :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

I have just been shopping and it wasn't to a supermarket. One of the locomotives I always liked the look of was the WD 2-8-0. There are photos of it in early BR days in the area that I'm slowly putting a layout together for. The local (5 minutes drive) model railway emporium emailed yesterday about their Bachmann delivery and I noticed the early BR WD Austerity was on the list and it would have been a shame not to buy one. I now think I have examples of the locomotives that used the line in the 1950s and early 60s (except for a few ex LNER steam locos that seem to have been photographed in the 1960s. )

Tony

• Like 7

...There is a thriving OO and G scale dealership on the island (mainly e-business but does have a shop front too) ...

Would that happen to be "Track Shack", Neil?? Curious as I was going to email you about it, but happy to ask a simple question out-in-the-open.

They popped up on my web search as having an item or two I'm interested in, and at reasonable prices, so was simply going to ask if they were legit as it were, sicne I'd never run across them before.

As stated in other places, I'm always keen to find other locations that have

i) What I'm looking for - in this case a couple of locos

ii) Deduct VAT where applicable for overseas shoppers

iii) Seen to understand "reasonable" shipping charges

My limited research of their ordering turned up a POSITIVE in all three cases :)

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all! We've been out for some equipment purchases for Frida and Kiki – mainly scratch boards. Weather's been an up-and-down affair over here, and so has been my overall condition. Roll on, spring...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Off to Carlisle to pick up no 1 Daughter see if we can do a refresh and refurb. Life without children would be so much easier but having got them you have to do the best you can for them... Tough love nawh much too soft.

Hope all goes well. Being supportive when things aren't going well or realistic when they are being over optimistic seem to be part of the skill set for parents.

Tony

So, late weather update...

Snowed here until around 10PM last nigh, plenty of wind with it. We got about 10 inches of heavy wet snow in the metro area, and with the winds they have suggested "travel is not advised on metro area roads" for the morning at least. Rather unusual for here but the blowing is creating too limited visibility.

Currecnt conditions are now -13 in once again BRIGHT sun and clear skies, wind finally died down and just a LOT of snow to be shovelled etc. Schools all running late because of buses. We're not going to make it above about -8 through Sunday and colder next week, with lows for the next 3 nights at -18  to -22

Winter is determined to STAY here for seemingly a lot longer - by now we usually are able to see some areas where there is little snow cover and the chance of even a grass sighting - not this year!

• RMweb Premium

Would that happen to be "Track Shack", Neil?? Curious as I was going to email you about it, but happy to ask a simple question out-in-the-open.

They popped up on my web search as having an item or two I'm interested in, and at reasonable prices, so was simply going to ask if they were legit as it were, sicne I'd never run across them before.

As stated in other places, I'm always keen to find other locations that have

i) What I'm looking for - in this case a couple of locos

ii) Deduct VAT where applicable for overseas shoppers

iii) Seen to understand "reasonable" shipping charges

My limited research of their ordering turned up a POSITIVE in all three cases :)

I'll PM, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

I think I'm OK to say Trackshack is indeed legit, and has for several years built a reputation as one of the top dealers for G scale locos and stock.  He has only recently branched (sorry) out into OO scale but stocks Bachmann, Hornby and Peco.

I shan't say any more as we are very good friends and it would be inappropriate for me to advertise for him here.  That OK, Mods?

edit for speelink.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

Back from

• Cooker window shopping (decided, subject to remodelling the kitchen)
  • Sainsbury's shopping - swear that store gets bigger!
  • Model shopping - seven Coopercraft kits - while they're still about. This one wasn't planned but I thought *** it.

Now knackered

Heard from Sandy - mixed weather but they mainly avoided the drips. Gweek Seal Sanctuary heavily populated with injured seals from the storms. Had news that the bank balance has decreased with a contribution to the economy of Cornwall.

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, I leave you alone for a few hours and you fill two pages with intellectual and witty comments. At least I assume that they are intellectual or witty. I haven't actually checked yet.

At the moment I am being fed and watered (well wined actually) by East Coast. Very palatable it is too. A fitting end to a most enoyable day at Model Rail Scotland.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Back from

• Cooker window shopping (decided, subject to remodelling the kitchen) 

When we replaced our oven it was quite simple. We just went out and got the same make in the nearest version to the one that had died. Being idle we weren't prepared to have one without  "Pyrolytic" cleaning. Grime being reduced to white ash that can be wiped away with a damp cloth is definitely a selling point for us! 

• RMweb Premium

Sea is falling from the sky again here, garnished with gales.  I need to get some bikes out of the garage tomorrow to get one on the lifting bench, it would have have been nice to do it in the dry - hah!

I'm thinking a continuous run would be nice for when I'm working down there, but it would eat a lot of space.  Wonder if I can arrange a folding return loop at each end?  DCC makes the electrics easy.

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have a bit of a tidy up on my layout in the garage tomorrow and clear all the tools and boxes off. The tracks are clear but I want to have a think about how I progress. I'm happy with the layout of the station board but the space  over the other side would be a bit short for the goods yard. I think I have a solution but need to tidy up first. The original plan for this garage layout was to have something that let me watch trains running through a station while being able to play trains in the goods yard. It might even  work!

• Like 5

I live in Union County, New Jersey. Counties are one of the few things shared with the UK where the US equivalent is (normally) smaller in area.

To the north of Union is Essex and Morris counties - Essex is one of the commonest names of counties in the North East. I'm situated within a mile of Union's western boundary - to the east it reaches the lower part of the Hudson River (really the New York harbor).

Immediately to my west is Somerset (sic) county. Right up at the north of the state, home of High Point and numerous bears, is Sussex county. Conversely right in the south are Gloucester and Cumberland counties. Directly to the south of Union is Middlesex which butts up against Monmouth county.

New Jersey is one of the 'States otherwise filled with Native American town names. Mahwah where Les Paul lived is one. Hopatcong is another. Some of my favourites include: Acquackanonk, Cheesequake, Ho-Ho-Kus, Manalapan and Manunka Chunk.

Have a nice evening. Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Saturday here :D

Bank balance reviewed and found to have shrunk - it must be all the recent sky-waters.  In fairness some of it has shrunk in the direction of Somerset relief work as Philps Pasties in Hayle are happy to accept donations of the cost to supply hungry folk up-country and have already shipped something like 250 of Cornwall's finest across the border.

Nephew, partner and three children remain homeless on the Isle of Wight after being flooded out (and making the BBC news in the process) on Christmas Eve.  Council have suggested they have no accommodation to offer and I have suggested they stage a sit-in at the office until they're given somewhere.   One property located via a private agent / landlord was offered but then changed hands with the new landlord apparently happy to keep it empty in case a better offer comes along.  I have words for people like that, as the outgoing landlord must have had the sale already in progress, but most are unfit for this site.

Coffee and cleaning to attend to here.  Hope it's a good weekend where you are.