The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

and so it begins...

About an hour ago, we had some light drizzle turning to sleet, that has continued until now and it's rapidly turning to very large flakes of heavy wet snow. Wind hasn't picked up yet.

Local news outlets are suggesting the apocolypse as of this moment - typically afternoon snow here, even though we're equipped for snow and deal with it well, makes a complete cock-up of the homeward commute - so they're all doom-and-gloom right now. Likely rightfully so, as with the temperature right on zero it'll be icy under the snow cover - Arrghh!!!

More later - if you get too bored with my rambling, grab a glass of your favourite "beverage" as they call it over here in some locations...

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Last time I was in Dorset was watching some of my colleagues "testing" Challenger 2 firing by shooting ta them thar hills (or rather some hard targets (decomissioned Chieftains)).....its a great place to be on the ranges on a summer morning with Sika, rabbits and the birds for company .. and its well away from the grockles .... happy days...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Most of us who have worked with the public in any capacity could probably offer some choice names we have encountered.  Some would fall foul of the profanity filter.  Identifying individuals these days can also breach privacy legislation however unintentionally.

But in my present employment I have spoken with a woman whose surname was the second to fifth letters of the town Scunthorpe.  

I still wonder whatever possessed the mother of a former colleague surnamed Head to christen him Richard. :O

• RMweb Gold

I asked Aditi what the photosynthesis equality and diversity issues were supposed to be (as mentioned a few pages back) and initially was told "don't ask it gets worse". The rest of the material was even worse. Aditi said for her "Plan A", she will run out of time (that won't offend her lesson planning as it is planned!) or Plan B introduce it as material designed to discredit any genuine work on equality. The "gets worse" was the stuff on elements and how we assign "values" to them and equating them to comparing people. Now Aditi is a very polite person but even she was forced to describe it with shorter words than "utter rubbish".

Yesterday evening she was asked to prepare an hours training material for "Managing Challenging Behaviour" in Level 1 (pre GCSE standard) young adults for presentation to a department this morning. At least they didn't cancel at the last minute. They may have been treated to a demonstration of challenging behaviour.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Well that was an interesting trip into town. I walked past a cash machine (Natwest since you ask) and wondered why it was bleeping away. It readily became apparent that there was a whacking great wodge of cash in the slot waiting to be picked up. I stood staring at it, wondering if I was imagining things. Another passerby joined me. Finally she suggested we take the cash into the bank. I agreed to this and so, with her holding the money at arms length (and it must have been at least 200 quid), we went into the bank and presented said cash to the cashiers with an explanation as to where we had found it and an assurance that we hadn't counted it, let alone taken any of it. We left them somewhat dumbstruck.

Last month I received a letter from my bank telling me that I hadn't taken £20 from an ATM that I'd used. I could not recall leaving the cash behind, especially as according to the letter this was back in June 2008! However they did credit my account with the £20 + £5 'for the inconvenience.

• Like 2

Last month I received a letter from my bank telling me that I hadn't taken £20 from an ATM that I'd used. I could not recall leaving the cash behind, especially as according to the letter this was back in June 2008! However they did credit my account with the £20 + £5 'for the inconvenience.

Are you sure that's a real bank and not just some really clever scammer?

Dr Station Cat bears good witness to her parentage!

I found this on YouTube. A very odd music video, which may appeal to some on here. I wanted the music, which I knew to be brill - but got a bit more, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Dd9efIBog&list=FLb4vudiACB-jVJooVOZAgxg

Agree with the first and really like the second - thanks Ian!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, we'll on the way to recovering from what was a long trip to here on the west coast of Florida, Naples to be precise where. it is 84f as I type.

Journey was uneventful,full marks to the excellent immigration and customs setup at Miami airport who excelled this time as we sailed through in record time. I suspect it won't be as fast in the U.K. on our return, have to feel for other half who gets searched all the time ie Manchester and Heathrow, at least it was done with some respect on this trip.

Take care all! not seen a grey cloud since 10am Tuesday! And that feels good!

and so it begins...

About an hour ago, we had some light drizzle turning to sleet, that has continued until now and it's rapidly turning to very large flakes of heavy wet snow. Wind hasn't picked up yet.

Local news outlets are suggesting the apocolypse as of this moment - typically afternoon snow here, even though we're equipped for snow and deal with it well, makes a complete cock-up of the homeward commute - so they're all doom-and-gloom right now. Likely rightfully so, as with the temperature right on zero it'll be icy under the snow cover - Arrghh!!!

More later - if you get too bored with my rambling, grab a glass of your favourite "beverage" as they call it over here in some locations...

Surely it should be "Snopocalypse" or indeed "Snowicane" - I've heard both on the TV in the past ten years - idiots.

Tomorrow  we're getting "gusty Thunderstorms"......

Good luck, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of suprise good news tonight the prodigal cat is alive and well and was possibly living with a little old lady who has recently died only half a mile away! The lady he previously used to visit for food had moved house and recognised him when he came looking for food. Think I will get him to choose some lottery numbers.....He has been missing for more than 8 months and we had given him up as dead. Even cheered number 1 daughter up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I did a Geography Field Trip to the Isle of Purbeck too.  Chesil beach is fascinating - and I have various sketches of Durdle Door at home.

The other fascinating place that we visited the year before was the Isle of Arran.  Our Headmaster was an extremely enthusiastic amateur Geologist and loved to run the six form field trips with one of the Geography Teachers. 

At that point in time, I wanted to be a Geologist - but even I found "Huttons Unconformity" somewhat disappointing.  When I voiced my disappointment to the Headmaster, he said:

"What did you expect?  A flashing neon sign?"

"Well, it would have been easier to find, Sir"

"That's what I am here for" he said, laughing.

Good times!

Ah!  A man after my own heart.  

Geography and geology were the favoured school subjects and led to my degree in the same field.  Pun intended.  Never progressed much further than curatorial assistant though largely due to graduating on the back of the North Sea oil boom and a huge glut of British geologists.  You needed first class honours to really be head-hunted.  Upper second and you might get a half-decent job somewhere in the world.  I was offered "mud-logging" (i.e. staring down microscopes analysing core samples) looking for water with the Saudi Geological Survey but preferred the security of home soil to the vagaries of the Middle East and living under a proscriptive Arab regime including "No alcohol", "No guests to be present at any time in the provided accommodation" and  "Only authorised women will be provided".

The interest is still there.  The career diverged sharply.  And while Hutton's unconformity is spectacularly uninteresting I still have all my field notes from the many trips we were obliged to endure.  Including the dinosaur footprint aforesaid and comments on the after-effects of too much Badger beer in a Swanage pub.

My Masters Thesis "The after effects of too little brandy in a Home Environment" has been nominated for use as a Generic soporific drug.

Good morning all, Clear headed, clear weather, clear conscience. A lovely mild 26C day forecast.

Enjoy your Friday!

• Like 4

Morning all, well it's Friday again...not much else to report, weather hot and another day of trying to deal with graduates from universities in the land of call centers....(aka "wheel re-inventors) . Trouble is when working as we do with stuff that can be quite dangerous if not done properly, (Natural gas & 11,000volt electrickery) people can die......

Still  got to keep plodding  on

Try and have a good day.

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Morning all
Yes its Friday and we are off shopping. Her Indoors has this one last day of rest before teaching resumes next week.
Birds are singing here.. Good sign
Have a super Friday everyone
Barry O

edited cos I can't sort out the spell check on my Kobo...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Just catching up on here after a long day out visiting O/H's elderly aunt in Wells, Som., yesterday. We also managed to add a couple of pairs of shoes to my already large collection. (middle name: Imelda!!)

If you haven't been following "Devon, Ofsted and Teenagers" then do give it a quick look where, in yesterday's posts, you'll read about a crazy coincidence.

It's Friday! Jump for joy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you haven't been following "Devon, Ofsted and Teenagers" then do give it a quick look

I always thought Ofsted was where you changed for Uckfield.

It's Friday! Jump for joy!

If you insist.  I don't know joy personally but I'll jump for her anyway.

:jester: