The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I came upon this item listed in an historic railwayana auction:

attachicon.gifHaydock Line Token.jpg

"Golborne to Ashton-in-Makerfield token key"

It feels really strange to see something I used at work, now considered historic! :O

Back in the 70`s, I pushed the button to release that blinkin`token key on so many occasions when on Stanlow-Haydock heavy-oil 100 ton tank trains......The token instrument was in a trackside metal cabinet, one train length and a bit, clear of the WCML at Golborne (where a new chord and crossover had been constructed), with a pushbutton interlocked electromagnetically reIeased door, although I never met the Bobby on t`other end of the phone I got to recognise their voices.

By then, the trackwork on that line (the old Lowton St. Mary`s to St. Helen`s Central branch) had been allowed to deteriorate into an appallingly poor state, with every rail joint feeling like it would heave us off down onto the floor.

The Shell-Mex & B.P oil terminal at Haydock (which was the largest in Europe when constructed in `69: employing 260 and handling 5000 tons of oil products each day) is now long gone; the whole area unrecognisable, as yet another retail park. :(

So I clicked on the arrow, but the youtube link seems to be broken - the video didn't start! :jester:

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Heard a good Valentines day story this morning. A guy forgot it was Valentines day and only just remembered as his wife was going out to the supermarket, so he gave her £5 and told her to get herself some flowers. Half an hour later he gets a call from his wife "Thank you for the flowers, they came to a bit more than the £5 you gave me so I had to put your beer back on the shelf." :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

you needed all kinds of spanner depending on the part's origin when working on a Chevette.

I got by with just a Mole wrench, and King Dick and a Stilson - they seemed to fit whatever Vauxhall fitted to their machines,

Debs

How's the Boarder Border?

He`s been marvellous, such an easy house-guest and has fallen easily into the house-routine, following all of the behavioural cues given by my-own two: even waiting for the 'release' command (like they do) before beginning his meal.

He`s also plenty tired at the end of each day, with our extended walkies on the beach every morning, buring off plenty of those Collie-calories!

So glad there`s still another week yet, with him here! :yes:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I got by with just a Mole wrench, and King Dick and a Stilson - they seemed to fit whatever Vauxhall fitted to their machines,

Did you have a 1lb hammer for delicate stuff and a 2lb hammer for serious work with a 7pounder for azimuth adjustment?

• Like 1

Pedestrian weather here again, compared to Pete, and everyone on the right-side (as in directional NOT "correct" :) ) of the pond...

Awoke to -17, headed for -9, bright sun, clear sky, no wind.

Be safe all you weather warriors, and anyone in snow conditions, especially those not used to it remember NOT to spend too much time shovelling - in the US snow-belt it's the #1 cause of winter heart attacks - folks over exerting themselves shovelling outside in the cold - please be careful.

Last night had a rousing choir practise, we're an "occasional" choir (don't sing every Sunday - thank the lord!!) and have the luxury of a succession of local professions pianists as co-music directors/accompanyists (sp.??) currently Tommy Barbarella ("actually famous" - google to see why!!).

Anyways, we have a piece composed by another local musician (principally jazz) George Maurer we're doing for a concert with both of them, and it's diabolically convoluted to put it mildly!

Why is it that keyboard players, when composing choral pieces (meaning us poor sods have to SING what you're banging out on the keyboard), FORGET that even though it's easy to wander around the ENTIRE range on a keybaord with your fingers, it's BLOODY HARD for the four choir voices to follow what seem to them just a bunch of notes "a bit far apart"!!!

Don't get me wrong, not a rant, it SOUNDS great and is a beautiful piece, and I love doing it, but we ARE VOLUNTEERS (read not even CLOSE to being experts), and pretty much all old(er) farts and fartesses with no real musical background, so at the end of the evening we really REALLY need a drink or two - oh, my tired throat and ringing head :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The time to worry Debs is when someone describes YOU as historic!

You could probably get the number of people who would dare think that on the fingers of one hand. Debs has a crane to lift things that weigh a ton the rest......

• RMweb Premium

Did you have a 1lb hammer for delicate stuff and a 2lb hammer for serious work with a 7pounder for azimuth adjustment?

Indeed I did, Mick - tool box only really included one real precision tool - a feeler gauge.  I also owned a torque wrench but got it second hand, and I was never sure just how accurate it was, and normally just tightened the nut until it stripped, then backed it off half a turn!

Afternoon All

Decided to pay a visit to Morrison's again (I often feel that I should just have a direct debit to them for the shopping).  But there is the plus point that there is an Aldi next door, so I can stock up on their most excellent German lager, a glass of which sits here at my side right now - IMHO it is one of the best beer buys available in this country at the moment.

Then wanted to beat the rain and wind with a trip out to take Lily for an amble, and it was lovely when we set off for Garstang, and as we walked down the main drag, the wind started to blow up, and then we got caught up in a horizontal hail storm, and drove back in very gusty conditions, with heavy rain/sleet/hail - we felt that the A6 was a safer option, and stuck around 45 mph, but there were idiots who clearly had to "be somewhere" and who insisted on hammering past at speeds which I'd have considered unsafe on the M6 - still we got home in one piece.  Light the fire, pull the curtains, and some TV now, having  just devoured a lovely dinner of saveloy and chips - they are such a novelty up here, and remind me so much of the chip shops in  Croydon.  Thinking of good saveloys brings back memories of those that one could buy in Kennedy's pork butchers all over South London, and sadly no more.  Their sausage products were really delicious - no doubt Ian Olddudders (and other Croydonians or ex Croydonials) will remember Kennedy's just round the corner from the Dog and Bull in Croydon - a good pint and a good sausage within 100 yards.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

Thinking of good saveloys brings back memories of those that one could buy in Kennedy's pork butchers all over South London, and sadly no more.  Their sausage products were really delicious - no doubt Ian Olddudders (and other Croydonians or ex Croydonials) will remember Kennedy's just round the corner from the Dog and Bull in Croydon - a good pint and a good sausage within 100 yards.

I well remember Kennedy's!  When, as a callow youth, I was posted to Southampton Way j/w Peckham Road Traffic Point and school crossing, the older Pcs indicated that when the Kennedy's Van was trying to get out of their entrance it was only politeness to stop the traffic to facilitate this.  Strangely enough when the point finished, and we were back in the Police Box we would open the inner door to the phone and, lo & behold, there would be hot sausage rolls or pasties sitting there in a brown paper bag!  Never did work out where they came from.......................

• Like 6

Just had a nostalgic look at the location on Google Maps and there is Kennedy's Sausage factory looking forlorn behind a 'London Rooms Design' hording,   The Goldsmith's school and the Fire Station are still there but sadly the Police Box is no more either.   Probably in the BBC Props Department!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, yes Stewart, Croydon and saveloys do chime with me, but only because I'd never heard of them before I moved there in '73! My parents rarely ate out, so fish bars were not a haunt in my early yoof. Didn't know Kennedy's - but then I wonder how many food shops I patronised, really, apart from the supermarkets. The Dog & Bull was another matter.....

We have quite a mild, pleasant afternoon, with a little bit of a breeze, and a lot of cloud, but quite high and the sun breaking through now and again. There is severe weather forecast for Finistere and the north coast overnight - but Ulla is reckoned to be headed directly for the UK. Even so, 150 kph winds off Finistere sound pretty grim. I hope you are all hunkered down (whatever that means!) and ready for it. Let's hope Dawlish doesn't suffer any setbacks after all the hard work.

• RMweb Gold

After I posted this morning I saw someone with a saw up in the Leylandii. The trees now just look like 5metre trunks with a few spindly leaves here and there. At least they won't come crashing down but it does look as if they have been pruned in the most unattractive manner possible! I think I will thank the neighbour for making her trees safe but enquire when her "gardener" will be back to finish the job. Amazing the difference to the light already though and I'm pleased to be able to see more of Kent again.

Neighbours either side of my house are pleased about the trees being trimmed too. One lot of neighbours who went to Egypt for a couple of weeks hoping the weather would improve have just arrived home! Though they are probably going to Wales (Denbighshire) to see their daughter and grandchildren soon. They aren't flooded in Wales but they are coping with no electricity, dead sheep, missing sheep, missing chicken house and chickens but for some reason the children still want to visit Essex for their half term (the week after the English holiday). South Essex must be rather dull in comparison!

Tony

• Like 4

........................Last night had a rousing choir practise, we're an "occasional" choir (don't sing every Sunday - thank the lord!!) and have the luxury of a succession of local professions pianists as co-music directors/accompanyists (sp.??) currently Tommy Barbarella ("actually famous" - google to see why!!).

Anyways, we have a piece composed by another local musician (principally jazz) George Maurer we're doing for a concert with both of them, and it's diabolically convoluted to put it mildly!

Why is it that keyboard players, when composing choral pieces (meaning us poor sods have to SING what you're banging out on the keyboard), FORGET that even though it's easy to wander around the ENTIRE range on a keybaord with your fingers, it's BLOODY HARD for the four choir voices to follow what seem to them just a bunch of notes "a bit far apart"!!!

Don't get me wrong, not a rant, it SOUNDS great and is a beautiful piece, and I love doing it, but we ARE VOLUNTEERS (read not even CLOSE to being experts), and pretty much all old(er) farts and fartesses with no real musical background, so at the end of the evening we really REALLY need a drink or two - oh, my tired throat and ringing head :jester:

So do you all head for the nearest hostelry? Oops, you're in the States so make that the nearest bar!

I sing in our church choir and I know it's hard when confronted with new music (although I can sight sing the alto line) but I expect you'll enjoy more those pieces that are hardest to learn. A great hobby for lifting the spirits! (including the ones you might raise afterwards!!)

• Like 3

So do you all head for the nearest hostelry? Oops, you're in the States so make that the nearest bar!

I sing in our church choir and I know it's hard when confronted with new music (although I can sight sing the alto line) but I expect you'll enjoy more those pieces that are hardest to learn. A great hobby for lifting the spirits! (including the ones you might raise afterwards!!)

:good: I`m so envious, Sherry...........always admired and respected those soaring and confident voices heard in choral unity; but I knew donkey`s years ago, that my voice was to be fit only for caterwauling. :blush_mini: