The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The problem is that no-one is accountable, civil servants and those in the utilities that "serve" the public are frequently anonymous or, at best, known by their first name alone.  Compare that to my experience in renewing my Swiss ID card - I went to the Gemeinde, spoke with a nice lady (who had a very visible name plate on her desk) completed a form, which we then checked together, handed over my passport-sized photos and the fee and two weeks later I had my new ID card - all perfectly correct and accurate.

Not much different from that 20 years ago - I needed a new passport fairly quickly so combined applying in person with a work trip; off the train at Newport and a fairly short walk to the Passport Office, filled in form and handed over various documents for checking, checked form with the PO personage to make sure all was correct and was told, apologetically, that it wouldn't be ready for about 90 minutes.  Equally apologetically I asked if it was ok to come back later and advised my ETA, I returned to station went on to my site investigation in Swansea, got back at appointed time and was handed passport with a smile  and please check it to make sure it's ok sir' - it was.  Back to station and caught train home.

That was British state bureaucracy at its best I thought - quick, accurate, polite, and helpful, the words 'public servant' meant exactly what they said.  And that was only 20 years ago this year.  (BTW Mrs Stationmaster has found another error on her new passport and has now established that it didn't come from Peterborough but Durham - her letter accompanying its return makes interesting reading.)

Edit to correct trypos

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who are in the path of that foul weather you've been describing!

It did turn out to be fairly sunny by about noon, which was nice. Forecast looks unsteady, though.

• RMweb Premium

The main Leeds to Otley road has had a tree blown down onto a car... not nice...

city centre U/S so gave up on trying to get to the club tonight...

Hatches battened, lead boots fitted....

• RMweb Gold

We have hail. Makes a change from rain anyway

We had the hail yesterday coming at you horizontally. This morning in a fearsome storm, looking at the waves trying to break onto Minehead beach the tops of the waves were being blown backwards as a fine spray never seen the like. It has been rather rough.

We made the descision to move into the bungalow yesterday although the work is not finished. At least you cannot hear the roaring of the wind like you could in the motorhome.( Plus the rocking).

Don

Morning All,

After a rather wild night, with driving rain and wind, it seems to have calmed down a little bit now.  I hope those of you in the UK have weathered the storm Ok.  I spoke to my parents last night, and my Mum described the wind as "Quite frightening really" which means it really must be bad as they have lived on the channel coast for years!

Don't get me started on the Passport Office.  What I can't understand is why you have to send the old passport away - which is then gone for weeks on end.  Given that UK citizens don't have ID cards, it takes away the only official form of ID.  The British Consulate used to do passports in Germany, and that only took a couple of days as a rule - now you have to send it back to the UK (they call it progress).  German citizens apply for their new passport, and then pick it up from the Gemeinde in exchange for their old one (as iD said) which is much simpler.

As for ferries, I have been out on the channel in a similar storm - but the hovercraft was certainly an experience.  I used to love crossing the channel on it, and even with the channel tunnel it was still the fastest way to cross.  However, given that it burnt over a ton of Kerosene for a crossing, it wasn't the most efficient!  Plus, when it arrived in Dover - everyone knew!

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert

When I saw the Corvette heading I immediately thought of the Compass Rose;

The Flower Class 2nd World War Submarine protection vessel featured in The Cruel Sea

(The novel by Nicholas Monserrat for those of you who are too young to remember it)

You mean there's another type of Corvette!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Hatches unbattend, lead boots removed. Too dark to inspect for damage....

Hope you have ridden out the storms.and if you are somewhere nice and warm send us any excess heat you may have..

Have a good Thursday everyone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Weather here remains a very pale copy of the UK version. Hope all have survived again.

Hovercraft? In 1979 I was one of several on a project to improve retail income on board and at the terminals. Must have crossed the Channel 6 times in 2 days - after all, we needed to know what others were up to, too! We made about 80 recommendations and the initial response was that at least 60 were worth implementing. All part of a middle-management course. Others looked at freight operations in S Wales - Cwmbargoed, was it? - and something in or around Manchester, for which the sponsoring officer, a miserable soul, was not impressed. Didn't like the cut of his jib, was glad not to have been on his project!

Corvettes have loomed large at Le Mans for many years, and the new C7R will be there this year. Talking to Danny Binks, senior engineer with Pratt & Miller, who run the team, at last year's race, he was very pleased with the way the new model was shaping up. Those that have tumbled into the hole will "polish out nicely" I'm sure!

Hope the weather calms down and we can all live our lives a little further from the edge.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not very windy here but it has just started raining. It is supposed to  be dry later.

I don't usually watch breakfast time television but I did this morning. I must admit to be not really knowing much about the places that the Thames is currently flooding  so I did look. They had reports from Worcester. My brother will be returning from his holiday in Florida this morning and will be driving from Gatwick to Droitwich (near Worcester). I think he won't be using the M40.

I feel like hibernating but I suspect a certain spaniel would wake me up for walkies! There was sponge (not the cake type) all over the hall carpet yesterday. At first I thought Robbie had eaten a cushion (not the sort of thing he would do) and I couldn't recognise what it had been. Aditi immediately said it was a pan scourer. I'm not sure how he got it or why he needed to kill it. 

Tony

• Like 2