The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all

Looking forward to the Scotland-England rugby on tv later. Really hard to get tickets these days unless you're corporate. Meeting an old school pal up from England for the game in Deacon Brodies (sic) for a few beers. Rain forecast (apologies to those in the south west) so could be a messy affair. Scotland usually raise their game against England, although most of the time it's like supporting a 4th division football team :)

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Minor gales overnight. A very heavy squall just as I arrived to feed the horses - but it was gone in two minutes, leaving the mud a bit muddier still.

The Dawlish thread is generating the usual hot air, failure to read what has been said, 20/20 hindsight (on the part of others, natch) etc. A case study on what happens on forums.

Might do a bit of shopping later.

Hope your weekend goes well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"With a purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat.........."

Best, Pete.

Too windy, Pete.  The umbrella would blow inside out and the hat would be half way round the world on it's way back to you in the jet stream.  :D

That just about sums up today's weather but hope you all have a good day, anyway.

I'm told I've got some weathering of china clay wagons to do, today.  Note the plural.  I've never done more than the odd one before.  Looks like I'll be moving into mass production.  :laugh:

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Looking forward to the Scotland-England rugby on tv later. Really hard to get tickets these days unless you're corporate. Meeting an old school pal up from England for the game in Deacon Brodies (sic) for a few beers. Rain forecast (apologies to those in the south west) so could be a messy affair. Scotland usually raise their game against England, although most of the time it's like supporting a 4th division football team :)

Mal

The WRU are very good at getting out tickets for home matches to those registered (either club or individual) with them.

I got 11 tickets for this years Wales v Scotland at the Millenium Stadium last November.  (Max is 6 per bid, but my wife is also registered).

Although haven't tried for away tickets as the sales of those lie with the respcitive RU controlling the home ground.

The WRU are very good at getting out tickets for home matches to those registered (either club or individual) with them.

I got 11 tickets for this years Wales v Scotland at the Millenium Stadium last November.  (Max is 6 per bid, but my wife is also registered).

Although haven't tried for away tickets as the sales of those lie with the respcitive RU controlling the home ground.

Thanks, Richard. I think that England/Scotland games are always tough to get tickets for unless you're prepared to pay a lot. But you're right, my school friend managed to get a couple of tickets through his rugby club in Cheshire, although that is a lottery, too.

Mal

Morning all

Ah, yes Led Zep - one of THE culprits that sent me down that costly and painful road of being a gear-head. My adolescent desires (well, some of them...) centered around the Gibson Les Paul (Jimmy Page, Martin "Lancelot" Barre [as Ian Anderson introduced him once]), the Gibson SG (Pete Townshend, Carlos Santana) and the Fender Stratocaster (David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Hank Marvin). Strangely enough, the Fender Telecaster just doesn't do anything for me... Now that I have been able to own and play all three, I find I like the Strat the best. The Les Paul is too damn heavy and the SG is neck heavy, so if you're not paying attention and take your hand off the neck you'll find the neck heading floorwards... The ONLY thing I have not obtained (Mrs iD's forbearance is not limitless) is a decent valve amp: SOUND CITY, HIWATT and ORANGE all were very much desired as a YOOF. But alas I must make do with a modelling amp... (even though, nowadays, a hand-built Class A custom HIWATT 100W head and cabs is not unaffordable).

Have a good one.

iD

Jimmy recorded more stuff with a Telecaster than is generally acknowledged - LZ I through III are almost exclusively Telecaster through a small Magnatone amp. He preferred them but ran into "noise" issues once they started performing on larger stages.

I own 5 different Stratocasters and each one sounds different -my problem with them is that I only like them for clean stuff - I seem to be the only person in the World who cannot get a decent "dirty" sound out of them.

My normal single cut Les Paul has the Peter Green wiring and does the "Bluesbreakers" thing really well (btw the way I have a "boot" of the "Beano" album recorded at Klook's Kleek as a run through where Eric is using his red Telecaster and it sounds really good).  My other Les Paul is a '61 Standard but SG shape, I really like SG's but prefer them with P-90's so I have an unusual '67 SG Special with the neck joint to '61 standards but with the "batwing" pickguard  of regular '67's and in Cardinal Red...as opposed to Cherry.

Prefer everything through a hand-wired version of a JTM45-a-like made by Maven Peel, though I do like Fender Tweed amps and/or Blackface dependent on what I'm doing.   

There is nothing in the World like guitar player gearhead jargon! Visit The Gear Page.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

Morning all,

I was up early this morning, but didn't check in until now.

The weather is somewhat uninspiring, but it is dry and there was a lovely sunrise this morning.

I did understand what Pete was telling us, but not because I play guitar (although I would love to be able to). It is all the amps I have built and fixed!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had an aunt who lived in North Shore, Blackpool. Her next door neighbour was an actress from Coronation Street, I can't remember her name but she played the one of the three old biddys with the beret (Martha Longhurst?). In the next street was the actor who played Sid the cafe owner in 'Last of the summer wine'. My cousin was a professional musician and played in the various theatres in Blackpool and had many tales of the antics of some of the slebs that appeared there.

• RMweb Gold

Addendum

A pair of 37s heading my way, so something to "accidentally" capture on the way to the shops ...

I think it's about time Andy provided a green/jealous button.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, and a wet and windy one it is for sure.  Horrid, in fact.

Mention of footie celebs reminded me of an event in the late 70's when I was in the tropical diseases (no....not that...) hospital in Liverpool, getting innoculations for my naval servie, and the entire Liverpool football team were in the queue with me also getting jabs.  As I had, and still have zero interest in football I wasn't remotely bothered!  I was next to Emlyn Hughes (we were getting stabbed alphabetically) and he was a really nice bloke to chat to.

Having lunch with Trackshack John today, he has some goods to 'push' on to me, it's expensive having a train dealer for a best mate!

• RMweb Gold

I was next to Emlyn Hughes (we were getting stabbed alphabetically) and he was a really nice bloke to chat to.

At one of our company functions many years ago one of the after dinner speakers was Tommy Smith. (and he was very entertaining)  He never mentioned his name but he obviously had an intense dislike for "The No 6."

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

And I hope all those and their family members with ailments various are soon on the road to recovery although I'm sure the weather isn't helping.  And one for Dom - a repeat of Mr Portaloo's continental adventures saw him in Leipzig yesterday evening, some good shots of the station and trams.

Definitely no show today for us - Dr Station Cat has confirmed my opinion of what's on offer at Newbury so we won't be bothering and all the others seem to be in remote parts of the kingdom north of Hitchin.

Agree with Ian about the Dawlish thread - which is why I came very close to snapping at one of them last night, I know there are pages of it and a lot of it is nonsense but why oh why people can't be bothered to read it irritates me more than a little.  But as Ian says - it's the usual story on forums.

And a bit more about the famous - Gladys Cooper gave me a tip of half a crown for delivering a telegram on Christmas Eve back in my days 'on the Christmas post'.  Knowing what I know nowadays I think I would far sooner have spent half an hour listening to her talking about the past but back then 2/6 really was 2/6.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 3

Gladys Cooper gave me a tip of half a crown for delivering a telegram on Christmas Eve back in my days 'on the Christmas post'.  Knowing what I know nowadays I think I would far sooner have spent half an hour listening to her talking about the past but back then 2/6 really was 2/6.

What a marvellous actress; I`ve so admired her performances over the years; her career spanned from those doe-eyed 'silents', right up to the 60`s with her enthrallingly powerful character of Professor Higgins` mother, in My Fair Lady.

......Class indeed!

Just back from visit to cemetery - mum died twenty years ago. 

Then shopping that Sandy forgot or couldn't get yesterday, dogs breakfast, and coal. Now battening down hatches for the weekend.

Kerry wants to do more but we're letting stitches and time take its course. Amazing how fast she's recovering. 

And I've just been presented with a tennis ball from the other dog!

• Like 1

Just back from visit to cemetery - mum died twenty years ago. 

Then shopping that Sandy forgot or couldn't get yesterday, dogs breakfast, and coal. Now battening down hatches for the weekend.

Kerry wants to do more but we're letting stitches and time take its course. Amazing how fast she's recovering. 

And I've just been presented with a tennis ball from the other dog!

Lovely news about Kerry :good:  ...........Over the years I`ve been amazed by dog`s ability to recover from such a challange: I think it must be that they spiritually live 'in the moment' and don`t burden their recovery by feeling sorry for themselves. :superman:

• RMweb Gold

Saturday's hour of repetitive joy with MiL by phone. 3 weeks ago, she told me she was going to St Dunstan's in Brighton to inspect the place. Last week said visit had transpired - but it was to St D's assessment centre in London, where her condition had been agreed to be needy, and as an ex-WREN within their conditions for entry. She was told that a week's stay would be arranged, so she and they could have a closer look (no pun intended - eyesight is very poor indeed).

This week the manager at her present sheltered accommodation has been on to St D, and they have said 2.5 years. I do hope this is crossed-wires, as I'm sure does the manager, who will be pleased to see the back of a tenant whose eyesight may result in a fall at best and setting the place on fire at worst.

Implausibly, at 91 she takes no regular medication whatever.

Agree with Ian about the Dawlish thread - which is why I came very close to snapping at one of them last night, I know there are pages of it and a lot of it is nonsense but why oh why people can't be bothered to read it irritates me more than a little.  But as Ian says - it's the usual story on forums.

At least it wasn't me you snapped at-I'd been barred by then :nono:

Ed

Oh my :scared: all the cars and planes of my "youth"...

More stories/snippets...

o

o Would have LOVED a Lotus Cortina, dad only had a regular 4-speed one (it was white though!!) that I tried to drive like a Lotus :nono: , and a friend had a Lotus, probably '64 sounds right. I had an MGB instead.

o Beatles (John) had an amazing all black mini with the black tinted windows et al, that was the optional vehicle for shopping in Weybridge! Had two good friends "Barry and Linda", Linda's mum was housekeeper for John, and the two regularly baby-sat Julian. They usually ended up driving him around places in the mini - lucky bu!@#g!@#ers :)

Of course they got to meet all the Beatles "all the time" and were even invited to parties John and Cynthia had at the home - even LUCKIER B!@#!U!@$#GGERS!!!

Barry even got to drive Pauls Ferrari to Manchester one time - Paul asked him if he'd "mind" taking it up there for him - was before the speed limits on the M1.

Barry stopped for petrol part way up (after doing probably a million miles and hour) and whilst pumping a police car struggled in behind him, seems they had been following/chasing him for whatever reason, and he had the DEVIL of a time convincing them "It's Paul McCartneys car, I'm just taking it to Manchester for him" :O  :jester:

o St. Georges Hills used to be a place we'd bike around/through and play all over as kids, there was no restriction at all, just another part of the countryside, now it's NUTS. You'd think it was a place similar to Buck House or Fort Knox or the White House!!! "They" do rather get above their station sometimes, don't they :) I mean they're ordinary folks like us, seems they all put their trousers on one leg at a time too!

Post of the week for me, this!

Lotus Cortinas... prices for the real McCoy have gone bonkers in recent years, at the NEC Classic in 2012 there were two for sale, both above the £40k mark... incredible really. My neighbour Geoff has a '64 Mk1 Cortina done up in homage to his hero Jim Clark, in dark green with a yellow stripe... it's not a Lotus (it's an auto with column change) but by 'eck it's a stirring sight when he takes it up the road on Sunday mornings.

As for seeing John Lennon's black Radford Cooper S in the flesh, you lucky, lucky b*gg*r! It sounds like it made a lasting impression on you Ian and I can well understand why. Photos of this car (LGF 696D) are very scarce but there is some quite well known b&w news footage of it arriving (driven by John's chauffeur Alf Bicknall) at Abbey Road on the evening of 20th December 1966 which made it into the Anthology TV series (might still be on Youtube). It was a glorious piece of kit - as you say it was all black, with black glass all round and with bumpers painted to match the bodywork, a Benelite spotlamp grille, electric windows, full leather interior and veneered wooden dashboard - the works. All four Fabs were filmed arriving in their cars that evening but only John's Radford made the cut for that night's news item. Rumours of the car's current whereabouts vary depending on source, some say John gave it to Alf Bicknall as a present in 1968 and that it was stolen a short while later, never to be seen again, while another rumour has it that it's now in Dublin being fully restored. Stories of the Beatles cars are legion but photographs of most of them are quite rare as some cars were only owned by them for a few weeks or months, the Minis, Astons and Rollers aside. Once the money started rolling in all four (particularly George) bought dozens of cars, it's thought between them they had almost 200 vehicles between 1962 and 1970! Lennon passed his driving test in 1965 in George Martin's Triumph Herald (not in a Mini as some books will tell you) and the very next day went out and bought a Ferrari 330GT. In 1967 he bought Cynthia a gold Porsche 911 which he borrowed two weeks later and crashed. McCartney had the first RHD Lamborghini 400GT in Britain but not before buying two Aston Martins, first a DB5 then the famous DB6 which he wrote 'Hey Jude' in whilst driving down to Weighbridge to visit Cynthia Lennon. Ringo's lovely red Facel Vega was sold at auction recently and fetched a nice premium..... I think I'd better stop right there... I'm welling up...! 

iL Dottore - I'd certainly agree with you about buying things in middle age which filled your head as a youth... virtually all my car choices have been down to childhood memories or classic TV series of the '60s and '70s! The thought of a Beatles' Mini or the Aston DBS from 'The Persuaders' sat in my garage would probably tip me right over the edge.... :D

Time for some tiffin and a nice lie down I think...

• Like 2

...I really like SG's but prefer them with P-90's so I have an unusual '67 SG Special with the neck joint to '61 standards but with the "batwing" pickguard  of regular '67's and in Cardinal Red...as opposed to Cherry.

.....Best, Pete.

The SG I own is the Pete Townshend custom shop version (alas, not the limited edition) cherry red with P90 pickups and the compensated wrapround bridge. Plays beautifully, even for the famed axeman iL "FumbleFingers" Dottore , but take my hand off the neck and the headstock heads implacably downwards... (do you have that problem?) I traded in my single cut classic Les Paul for the SG and I'm quite happy I did. One of these days I'll have to tell you how I customised my Epiphone Sheraton.

Railway modelling, should we do any, is much, MUCH cheaper than guitars (much to Mrs iD's relief)

iD

• Like 2