The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Has any figured out just how long 26.5 million cubic kilometers of ice would take to melt?

We're already in the next Ice Age over here, seemingly......and I can tell you even now at 40f (above freezing for the first time in two weeks) the ice ain't melting very fast...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Two things I learned about Essex today.

1. It's the oldest continuous county in England.

2. The railway line from Colchester to Clacton and Walton-on-the-Naze is known as the "The Sunshine Coast Line" (it's certainly the driest part of England according to the latest precip maps from the Met Office).

Perhaps we should go for independence?

Frank Bruno, Steve Davis or Graham Gooch for honorary President (if they are all still alive).

Pick a wide boy City lad as Treasurer........etc.

Best, Pete.

Evenin all,  

Not a bad day today,  weather stayed at a respectable 28c,  humidity tolerable,  and managed to get a couple of photos of the local wildlife.  Its about 6  long,  I did have a baby one running round my bathroom the other morning.

GF has suggested I might like another West - to -East trans Canada drive (Vancouver to Ottawa) in September, be impolite to refuse wouldn't it? 

have a good evening

Trev.

post-4282-0-37947700-1391275905.jpg

post-4282-0-55395600-1391276050.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evenin all,  

Not a bad day today,  weather stayed at a respectable 28c,  humidity tolerable,  and managed to get a couple of photos of the local wildlife.  Its about 6  long,  I did have a baby one running round my bathroom the other morning.

GF has suggested I might like another West - to -East trans Canada drive (Vancouver to Ottawa) in September, be impolite to refuse wouldn't it? 

have a good evening

Trev.

Make it the start of your retirement Trev?

• RMweb Gold

Two things I learned about Essex today.

1. It's the oldest continuous county in England.

2. The railway line from Colchester to Clacton and Walton-on-the-Naze is known as the "The Sunshine Coast Line" (it's certainly the driest part of England according to the latest precip maps from the Met Office).

Perhaps we should go for independence?

Frank Bruno, Steve Davis or Graham Gooch for honorary President (if they are all still alive).

Pick a wide boy City lad as Treasurer........etc.

Best, Pete.

Longest English coastline too, though Cornwall contests this. Apparently it depends how far up estuaries is defined as coast. 

Longest English coastline too, though Cornwall contests this. Apparently it depends how far up estuaries is defined as coast. 

Tidal limit at normal high tides is one definition, although there are some legal eagles who have different interpretations. (Oceanographers again)

Just spent the last hour or so sorting out a couple of hundred 0.4mm and upwards drills into capped test tubes (how I store them)

And wondering why the supplier thought it  good idea to sellotape the same sizes together! Soaking in isopropanol to separate them out.

• RMweb Gold

I believe essex has the highest per capita retail sales of white stilettos, XR3is and lager.

No, that is Romford (London Borough of Havering). :jester: 

I don't think anyone in Essex has an XR3i anymore.  White Audis seem to be the "fashion statement" vehicle in our bit of the Thames Riviera.

I've decided that Maggie Smith will be Essex's Honorary President.

We will fund an explosive growth in rail routes by annexing Cambridgeshire into a Greater Essex.

That way we'll gain a decent university..............

In case we're accused of fascism  Alan Sugar will be First Minister (max. 3 year term).

Oh, dear. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I think the current plan is for the home counties to alienate all the other parts of the UK so they seek independence but the Home Counties will probably hold on to the assets. Well those we haven't sold off on the way.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I've decided that Maggie Smith will be Essex's Honorary President.

That would be nice. Helen Mirren could deputise for her if they needed someone else from Essex who has done a bit of acting.

• RMweb Premium

Last time I went to Essex (her indoors aunt lives there).. in this dead posh rich village while there was a duck pond present they had no street lights or pavements - we had them (but no duck pond) in the pit village I was dragged up in... lummy no street lamps!!! :jester:

From a very happy Sunderland fan.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Times are hard here now. Our local council have recently started turning off the streetlights at midnight and turning them back on at 5am. I don't think we have a duck-pond in Benfleet, though we have acres of flooded sports pitches that are temporarily home to assorted seabirds. 

Essex has various identities. South of the A13 it is very influenced by London. North of the A12 it is very rural. Actually it is rather a rural county everywhere, though round here the main farm activity is boot sales.

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tidal limit at normal high tides is one definition, although there are some legal eagles who have different interpretations. (Oceanographers again)

If you count in all the islands around Essex it does have a longer coastline than Cornwall. Essex has more islands than any other English or Welsh county.

Ah, I remember Essex,  spent best part of a year at Corytown refinery  back in the early '70's.  I was looking after around about 100 bits of contractors plant with a couple of other guys, the senior one seemed to spend most of his time in the betting shop in Stanford -le-hope!  As long as everything kept running I could do pretty much what I liked..so the "Fitters Hut"  turned out a 3 1/2" gauge Tich! ....(all plant repairs being done Saturdays & Sundays, or after hours!) ...

As to retirement, roll on end of April next year! 

Now my bed beckons, 

Sleep tight 

Trev

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our streetlights don't come back on in the morning!  However our rates are low compared to the Big City (Douglas  :jester:  )

Just been listening/watching the Eagles Farewell Tour double DVD.  It reminded me why I only have one Eagles album (Hotel Cali) - the rest is, er, rubbish!  they only came alive when doing Hotel tracks, the rest of the time they looked as if they wanted to be home by the fireside.  Glad it was only borrowed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Times are hard here now. Our local council have recently started turning off the streetlights at midnight and turning them back on at 5am. I

Tony

Same here in leeds - put the wind up me the first time I woke up with no street light on outside..

• RMweb Gold

Just been listening/watching the Eagles Farewell Tour double DVD.  It reminded me why I only have one Eagles album (Hotel Cali) - the rest is, er, rubbish!  they only came alive when doing Hotel tracks, the rest of the time they looked as if they wanted to be home by the fireside.  Glad it was only borrowed!

I think my favourite Eagles album is "On the Border".

Street lighting hereabouts is being turned off (permanently)...........with signs appearing announcing the local authority`s intent and thanking the populus on behalf of future generations for our eco-sacrifice.

Sadly, just last week a bicyclist was killed when she cycled headlong into a black, cycleway bollard (in one of the roads in which all the lighting has been taken out of use) fell off her mount and was run over in the gloom by a following car, whom had little chance to see her and stop in time.

I fear that in the rush to please the eco-folks, there has been insufficient consideration given to the larger picture. :nono: