The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Sunny outside, sleepy inside. Roll on, spring!

Anyone up for a little scratchbuilding project involving this funny critter?

http://www.goodrail.com/Portals/34/Dokument/Rangerlok av tvåvägstyp, industrilok, diesel eller batteridrift från Zephir/Goodrail Zephir CRAB.pdf

You seem to have a truncated url!

http://www.goodrail.com/Portals/34/Dokument/Rangerlok%20av%20tvåvägstyp,%20industrilok,%20diesel%20eller%20batteridrift%20från%20Zephir/Goodrail%20Zephir%20CRAB.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Well we had a beautiful sunny morning until ten mins ago just before we take the dogs for a walk. There is also some concern with the wind and high tide pushing back the large amount of water coming down the severn.

Don

You seem to have a truncated url!

Painful!

Morning All,

It is grey, and has just started to rain here - Rather a shame because yesterday was such a nice day.  Today, when there is a chance of going outside and doing something and the weather turns rotten again.

I agree with BoD's analysis of DD's object.  Sounds like Venus to me.  Jupiter is also extremely bright at the moment, but you'll see that higher in the sky in the evenings.

Have a good day everyone...

Here is a screengrab from Stellarium of the sky between the East and South horizon, this morning at 07:00.  It is at my location, but it should give the general idea, of where to look for Venus and Saturn.

stellarium-002_zpsbe001ce1.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Morning, rather better today thank you, but rather lacking in energy, I feel as if my batteries are flat.  No other nasties now, thankfully.

Red flood warnings for all low quaysides here, 11.40 high tide, flooding expected in Douglas, Castletown and Ramsey.  Chateau NHN is a whole towering 30m above sea level, we should be OK. :jester:   In fact the 30m contour passes thorough our property.

Welcome back to Sherry, hope your last leg of your journey is OK! Apparently Cap'n Kernow has dug the rails up or something.

Howling wind and torrential rain here to go with the high tide, not really very nice at all. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Actually evening here after a very long and warm day but very satisfying.  Around 30 visitors to the layouts today several of whom I had never met before.  Several RMwebbers among the crowds.  

In a break with tradition almost everything ran / worked perfectly despite the temperatures.  The only casualties were a BSK with suspect back-to-backs which declined to stay on (probably not a heat-related issue) and unsurprisingly the cheap and un-cooled transformer which runs the beach-side lighting and which cut out twice on thermal overload.  Quote right too after being asked to work in almost 40 degrees of air temperature for several hours at a time.  The layout controller has an inbuilt fan and despite feeling very hot to the touch all afternoon performed faultlessly over seven hours of continuous running.

In a few very short hours I'm off to the airport to collect Sharon back from NZ.   Won't be around here tomorrow morning.  Too busy - and too tired!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In fact the 30m contour passes thorough our property.

Neil,

That is the best excuse I've ever heard for the brown stain on the sitting room carpet!

It's breezy here with lovely blue skies and some fluffy clouds:  Rain will inevitably follow later.

• RMweb Gold

She may have been making it up but Aditi told me that the polar ice caps could melt and we would still be above sea level here though I suspect we would need a boat to go anywhere. Quite a lot of Benfleet is behind flood protection barriers. The rain water can only get out at low tide. The park groundsmen were marking out a football pitch the other day. Even though half of the pitch was flooded and had seabirds swimming on it they had been "directed" to mark out the dry bits. I suggested they could rent it out for water polo.

I'll take Robbie down to the park soon but if it doesn't stop raining soon I'll be consulting the tide tables to choose a suitable time! One thing does surprise me. The entrance to the park's car-park is in a bit of a dip and floods and can be about a foot deep. Now I know what the wading depth of my car is (more than a foot!) and proceed sensibly, especially as I know where the big pot holes are. Many people don't. 

• RMweb Gold

Here is a screengrab from Stellarium of the sky between the East and South horizon, this morning at 07:00.  It is at my location, but it should give the general idea, of where to look for Venus and Saturn.

stellarium-002_zpsbe001ce1.jpg

Stellarium is really good, especially for people like me who can't tell the difference between a planet and the police helicopter hovering over Pitsea!

• Like 1

Howling wind and torrential rain here to go with the high tide, not really very nice at all. :no:

We have got the same the other side of the Irish Sea.  The joke around here is if you cant see the Isle of Man from Cumbria it is raining, and if you can see it, it is going to rain!

• RMweb Premium

We have got the same the other side of the Irish Sea.  The joke around here is if you cant see the Isle of Man from Cumbria it is raining, and if you can see it, it is going to rain!

Snap....but the other way around!

The rain has eased, even the odd bright minute between downpours is happening.  I'll get me sun hat.

Just spent an hour dismantling a Bachmann 4-CEP to see why it doesn't always go - OMG, the world exploded in little copper strips and drive shafts!  Found a trapped wire under the motor mount which was the cause of the intermittent fault (the lights always worked) then had to work out how to re-assemble it all, after managing to break off both the wires to the headcode LED - tiny!  So repaired them and eventually worked out a method of re-assembling the drive shaft/drive bogie - should you ever need to, PM me!  Together with my Lenz DCC showing signs of age it has been an eventful morning.  The green 4-CEP is rather tasty though, if a little odd running through north-eastern American scenery........oops.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

She may have been making it up but Aditi told me that the polar ice caps could melt and we would still be above sea level here though I suspect we would need a boat to go anywhere. Quite a lot of Benfleet is behind flood protection barriers. The rain water can only get out at low tide. The park groundsmen were marking out a football pitch the other day. Even though half of the pitch was flooded and had seabirds swimming on it they had been "directed" to mark out the dry bits. I suggested they could rent it out for water polo.

I'll take Robbie down to the park soon but if it doesn't stop raining soon I'll be consulting the tide tables to choose a suitable time! One thing does surprise me. The entrance to the park's car-park is in a bit of a dip and floods and can be about a foot deep. Now I know what the wading depth of my car is (more than a foot!) and proceed sensibly, especially as I know where the big pot holes are. Many people don't. 

That must mean that my feet will remain dry as well if the ice caps melt. I live very nearly opposite Basildon hospital which is the second highest point in East Anglia, the highest point (Langdon Hills) is just down the road.

• RMweb Gold

That must mean that my feet will remain dry as well if the ice caps melt. I live very nearly opposite Basildon hospital which is the second highest point in East Anglia, the highest point (Langdon Hills) is just down the road.

I'm not sure whether I'd still be able to shop at Tesco Pitsea though! 

Although it is downhill all the way to Benfleet Creek from here our garden is quite squishy at the moment. I think any soil other than clay has gone!

There are some fantastic views from Langdon Hills. I didn't realise how high they were until we went for a walk there (and also included a visit to the Plotlands Museum)

The highest point in Essex is Chrishill Common at 147 metres. Cambridgeshire: 146m, Suffolk at 128m, Norfolk at 103m.

It doesn't matter if the Arctic cap melts as it is already floating...

10:00am here and already +3C! Woo Hooo!

Grateful for small mercies - we expect three storms next week...............................

I've missed having Sherry around.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Back from Stafford. Bit tiring - furthest I've been, distance wise, since September. Back via a very exciting lunch at Sainsbury's. We know how to live!

Bought a couple of books, solder and some plastic sheet - not much brass around (kits, not cash) which is where my money is going these days. Sandy impressed with BCB. In fact she compared every other layout to it!

• Like 5

I know what you mean. When I was recovering from cancer I had to fly to New York.

Not as bad as it sounds as EMI sent me 1st and I had a wheelchair to and from plane + Limo at each end. BA made a fuss of me and frankly I was glad to get out!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

The highest point in Essex is Chrishill Common at 147 metres. Cambridgeshire: 146m, Suffolk at 128m, Norfolk at 103m.

It doesn't matter if the Arctic cap melts as it is already floating...

And if the Greenalnd and Antarctic caps melt sea level will rise by about 75m.

But if the Arctic Ice cap melts that'l stop the North Atlantic Drift. Last time that NAD stopped was about 12,000 years ago when the Laurentide meltwater lake breached its dam and flooded the Atlantic with fresh water . Glaciers returned to Scotland.