The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

How absolutely lovely! :tender:

Not for me. I feel the need to bask in 40C heat.......................Rick! I'm coming over, man!

Severe Cabin Fever is the diagnosis. Otherwise the weather is freaking gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky - which is a deep,  deep blue today...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

. I'll be celebrating by stripping off and running around in the snow.

strange that as a student one of my Malaysian flatmates had his 21st birthday party when it snowed so his mates stripped him and chucked him into the snow - He thought it was fun(!!)

I thought he was on something stronger than Tetleys Bitter..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When Matthew was in Calgary he lived in the International Student accommodation. When the first snow fell some of the students recently arrived from tropical climes were very excited, running around with handfuls of snow. They soon got used to it!

• RMweb Gold

Gone daft again and am in the process of booking a trip on another ship -  for a voyage up to Kirkenes.  Mind you after a spot of delving on the 'net  I'm hoping we don't get the same sort of 'small boat' experience which passengers got back in 2011 and if they offer an engine room tour I think I'll pass.

http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/Travel-planner/Ships/Hurtigrutens-Ships/MS-Nordlys/

And no doubt the Northern Lights will not be working by the time we get there - but you never know, and an interesting question then on camera settings perhaps?

Passenger capacity - 622. Beds - 469. Could be a really exciting holiday!

• Like 1

Who?  Was it William J Connolly?  Gerry Rafferty?, Francis Rossi? They're about the most likely candidates to meet the criteria of old mate and TV?

Stewart

When I checked I was astonished to discover that it is more than three years since Gerry died.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Have they changed it then Rick = while it's not sionce 2005 every time I flew into Sydney we came in over land and in fact the 'racetrack' for descending aircraft to lose altitde into the landing approach came in over Manly (at least twice) and the posh 'burbs on the coastal side before going north of the CBD into final approach.

Not sure.  I've only ever seen water outside until the runway appears below.   Wind direction determines the final approach path and "I've come in from both north (with Manly and the Northern Beaches 'burbs visible but not directly beneath) and south (after crossing the coast a long way out probably nearer to Wollongong).   Dulwich Hill is one of my preferred train-watching spots and is quite close to the airport but I don't remember seeing anything overfly the CBD or inner suburbs.

Now where were we?  Ah yes.  

"Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen - this is your Gwiwer speaking.  In a few moments time we shall be landing in Friday.  Please ensure you have your seat backs upright, your tray table and footrests stowed and your seat belt firmly fastened.  If you have been using your laptop now is the time to switch them off, let them return to their own seat and buckle up.  We shall have you into Friday right on time and we anticipate a smooth landing though unexpected events can sometimes cause turbulence.  Thank you for flying towards the weekend with us."

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Passenger capacity - 622. Beds - 469. Could be a really exciting holiday!

I does 'all stations' turns so no doubt has provision for short distance passengers - mind the trip we've booked on makes quite a lot of calls.  Average temperature when we're going to be there is allegedly -2C but Mrs Stationmaster already has cold weather gear shopping in hand, I'm not sure if she's planning anything for the optional (expensive) excursions such as snowmobile or sledge rides (musher provided)  :O

Interesting to note looking at a map that the nearest large town to the turnround port of Kirkenes is Murmansk  (optional excursion to look at the Russian border is available).  Definitely a bit different from the Bristol Channel.

• Like 3

Forecast amended to a max of 32C (instead of 33C)

Wind 17SE

iT's going to be unpleasantly hot, especially form 5:00 pm onward when the setting sun beams directly into my room..

It will start cooling from 7:00pm onwards but only down to a minimum of 21C

(I know Gwiwer gets it much hotter)

It's FRIDAY so Rejoice and be glad!

• RMweb Premium

32C (instead of 33C)

(I know Gwiwer gets it much hotter)

Yes - a lot hotter at times up to the mid 40s in the afternoon with overnights as "low" as 30C.

But even 32C can feel uncomfortable.  We normally have very dry air with our heat coming off the interior and with relative humidity as low as just 1 or 2%.  If the air comes from the coastal regions the RH can be much higher making it feel humid.  That's what Sydney and Brisbane get and that feel more like a very hot British summer day.  Oppressive heat rather than bearable dry heat.

Currently only 27C here but the RH is at 53% and it's quite sticky.  The relative humidity of my shirt, having just walked out to the mailbox and back, is at almost 100% ;)

Morning all,   

Just checked the weather forecast , only 36c  max today,  (real feel will be around 40) RH 93%!  ...a three shirt day!  Other than that it's the last day of the month (and thats a 12th of the year over!!)  and it's Friday .....only two working days till next week!  

Try to survive....

Trev

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all
So LBA isn't the highest airport.. So if you takeoff going southish bring the undercarriage up and turn left the first natural item you run into is...the Urals... And it has an interesting runway with a bump in it...and great wind shear..
Enjoy poets day and if you have to work over the weekend have a stress free time...

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Morning All,

I know what you mean Dominik - when the mornings are grey and dull, it is sometimes difficult to find something to say.  "Oh look!  It's grey again"

Roll on Spring!

Have a good one everybody...

Morning all

Beautiful blue sunny skies here in NE England.

It' s starting to feel really warm too.

At 7.30 I was putting the bins out. .dark , dreary, scything down........That's the Durham Coast. . . a mile or 2 makes a lot of difference ! ! !

Morning all…:-)

This made me chuckle...

An elderly golfer comes in after a good round of golf at the new course and
heads straight to the bar/restaurant area of the club house.

As he passes through the swinging doors, he spots a sign hanging over the
bar that reads:

COLD BEER: £3.00
HAMBURGER: £5.00
CHEESEBURGER: £6.50
CHICKEN SANDWICH : £4.50
HAND JOB: £150.00

Checking his wallet to be sure he has the necessary money, the old golfer
walks up to the bar and beckons to the exceptionally attractive female
bartender who is serving drinks to a couple of sun-wrinkled golfers.

She glides down behind the bar to the old golfer.

"Yes?" she inquires with a wide, knowing smile. "May I help you sir?"

The old golfer leans over the bar and whispers, "I was wondering young lady,
are you the one who gives the hand-jobs around here?"

She looks into his wrinkled eyes and with a wide smile purrs, "Yes sir, I
sure am."

The old golfer leans in even closer and into her left ear says softly, "Well
then, be sure to wash your hands really well, because I want a
cheeseburger."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry at the moment & 4oC, will be mainly cloudy with more rain to come this afternoon.

Today happiness is Bob shaped as Steve came round last night & worked wonders with my laptop. He's added a "shell" to customise it so it's more like Windows 7 to use but is still Windows 8.1 (if that makes sense). He's also fixed my all in one printer/scanner issues so I can now use that properly.

Didn't get much done on the layout yesterday (again) as other things got in the way. Maybe today.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, well apparently this is what awaits the day here

It will soon turn windy with gales along coasts and high ground. Some hill snow before rain spreads eastwards from midmorning. Rain will be persistent for many, and heavy at times.

Marvelous!  cheered me up no end this morning  reading 3 consecutive posts of how warm it is going to be in various locations, I mean at least I know the sun still exists, just not here  at the moment.

Shed day today, track needs cleaning, a tidy up required and a point needs wiring up. Major plus is no shopping of  non railway related stuff required.

Enjoy your day

• Like 1