The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Metal forming...

oh no its Metaformin......

Ahm, right, the first piece of advice you need is to get the smaller ones if you can.  The usual ones are like bl**dy horse pills, for a very big horse and Tesco pharmacy very kindly make sure they get in the physically smaller ones which are far less 'intrusive' when swallowed (they're also cheaper than the horse pill version but not all pharmacies seem to know about).

They do seem to work - for me at any rate - and all my more recent blood lettings have offered satisfactory results so my dosage has been constant for a 12 month.

With the millions spent on drugs why is it the Pharmaceutical industry can't fix a problem without giving you another?? ....

I wish it was that easy. The problem is everyone but everyone reacts to the same drug slightly differently. That's why we carefully monitor the safety profile when we develop drugs - so that we can get a good estimate , more or less, of how a how a drug works in terms of both safety and efficacy. I wish that we could develop drugs that would have the same efficacy and safety profile for ALL patients, it would make things much simpler. As to using another drug to ameliorate the effects of a first drug, sometimes it's unavoidable. Oncology drugs are a good example, they can be extremely effective in treating cancer, but at the cost of certain severe side effects (frequently associated with the anti-cancer drug's mode of action), for which you need to be treated with another drug....

I have had a very destructive day in the workshop. Now that "The Brunel" is to all intents completed, I am tidying up and today I was binning old buildings that no longer are up to standard (although I recycle components wherever possible). In the next few days I will be sorting through my RTP buildings, some of which I have modified (see my various posts on RMWeb). Although I'll find it easy to simply bin all the RTP stuff, I am willing to offer them for "swopsies" (i.e. exchange for something I can't get easily in Switzerland). PM me if you might be interested (Olddudders can vouch for me as a "sender of Raiwayana trifles").

My pizza has just arrived, so off to dinner. Have a great evening.

iD

• Like 1

Factually "BLOODY COLD" here in Grand Forks this morning...when we got up at 8AM it was -29C actual and -36C wind chill, with bright sun and clear skies!! Interesting trivia, at the temperature the wind chill was at, celcius and farenheit are the same value!

Going to head out soon and drive the first 90 miles back home and stay overnight with friends in Fargo...

Moving the car in this cold is a real thrill! Has to be moved since there is a 2-hour parking limit on the street during the day <sigh>

Have a great day everyone :)

Interesting trivia, at the temperature the wind chill was at, celcius and farenheit are the same value!

I thought that happened at minus 40? (Though at those temperatures, I wouldn't think 4 degrees would make much difference!)

Mike,

Indeed it is - well done that man!

My daughters' apartment is the very top corner of that building I took the shot from the window on the left face of the building. It's a corner apartment and hers are the three window facing the view and the two on the left side...

Looks like that spring, summer and early fall :)

• RMweb Premium

Aditi mentioned some intestinal problems after she had been on Metformin for a while and her GP put her on a slow release version of the medication. Problem solved!

There's a slow-release once-a-day version rather than the every-meals version.   Looks like something a horse might take - huge darned things they are.   I'm sure they do their job - it's not me taking them to know first  hand.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Indeed it is - well done that man!

My daughters' apartment is the very top corner of that building I took the shot from the window on the left face of the building. It's a corner apartment and hers are the three window facing the view and the two on the left side...

Looks like that spring, summer and early fall :)

Google maps are good are'nt they , went to Grand Forks , put in Wells Fargo and found the nearest to the railway

and the border , then it was a street view job . Nice building in what looks to be a nice area .

Small world , I have some friends who live abuot 20 miles North of you in MN , they live in Champlin just

across the road from the mighty Mississippi River .

Have a safe drive home .

• RMweb Premium

If the holes that the self tappers fit into are on the outer door is it possible that you may need the next size up (in diameter) of self tapping screw anyway?

In fact the self tappers go through a bracket and then into the inner door. The brackets are on the outer door which uses the tiny screws (upward) to hang the outer door to the inner door which has the brackets on to hook to the main body of the oven. All the weight of the outer door is on these tiny screws. I'm guessing that once the screws have been taken in and out a couple of times the hole is gradually widened. It was only the fact that the bracket and metal inner door were not parallel (the metal was bent) that gave the screws enough purchase. So, as you suggest, yesterday I tried to get some larger screws but unfortunately the holes are just too large.  :( 

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Andy have you checked for a hidden bracket behind the hole the screws go into? Our rangemaster uses that method. I undid a couple of screws which then wouldn't go back until I dismantled more and got access behind to hold the bracket in place.

• RMweb Premium

Andy have you checked for a hidden bracket behind the hole the screws go into? Our rangemaster uses that method. I undid a couple of screws which then wouldn't go back until I dismantled more and got access behind to hold the bracket in place.

Thanks, Colin,

The inner door is simply a thin piece of metal bent over. So thin you can shape it with your fingers. Sadly no hidden bracket on the inner door, just on the outer. 

It seems to me that a lot of these components are actually common to many cookers. For example, our Hotpoint cooker door is compatible with ovens from a number of other well known brands. I'm assuming that sitting below these brands are a number of companies churning out springs, doors, grille elements...   

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me that a lot of these components are actually common to many cookers. For example, our Hotpoint cooker door is compatible with ovens from a number of other well known brands. I'm assuming that sitting below these brands are a number of companies churning out springs, doors, grille elements...   

Andy

There is a lot of badge engineering in domestic appliances. Hotpoint is now part of Indesit and probably shares items with other brands in their group.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that happened at minus 40? (Though at those temperatures, I wouldn't think 4 degrees would make much difference!)

Correct sir -deg C x 9/5 +32 = deg f

100deg c therefore =180+32=212 deg F

Can remember that but not where I left my glasses guess which I need to remember the most.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  36C top expected.  "Late cool change" suggests it may be below 30 degrees tonight.

Lost one of the chickens to old age.  Just one left now so knowing chickens she won't be around much longer.  We are planning to re-stock with Isa Browns rather than the slightly noisier Pekin x Silkies we've had.

Morning all,   is it Friday yet?.........OK  the diary says its Tuesday.....  

Spoke to my Mum yesterday,  it seems that my brother did exaggerate just a bit (If she's to be believed),  she just dropped her dinner tray. But she sounded OK. Fingers crossed!  

I'm nearly keeping my one "New Years Resolution"  and being trying to do a little bit of modelling every day.  

Got so far with the second Mack truck. Done a little modification so that the front wheels are not in line ahead.  Spent the last couple of evenings "modeling time" painting the cab parts so I can start assembling that as a sub- assembly. 

Lets hope we all have a reasonable day?

Trev.

post-4282-0-33457200-1390886859.jpg

• Like 7

Morning All

You mean he doesn't do a personal delivery service?

Depends. "Special Commisions" get special service and then it also depends upon the where and when (BCB was a special case). Rest assured, all shipments will be packed with care and despatched with alacrity. BIG orders get special attention....

Weather cold and dull. Mrs iD and the HM, on the other hand, are in the mountains enjoying sun and fine powder snow (something the HM adores - after a long walk in the snow he returns ice encrusted like an abominable snowman [snowdog?] and very happy and very tired).

Off to the GP today, (old injuries tend to flare up in this cold and damp weather) then back home and my home office day. Once work is done, I'll be sorting out my RTP and enjoying a pint of stout as well!

Have an enjoyable day

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Cold, dark, dry out but just for a change it is supposed to rain later.

I visited the local model railway emporium yesterday as I wanted a brake van and in addition purchased a loco and 2 coach kits. I will set the loco up and get it going up and down the DCC test track (a few feet of Roco set track straights). 

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dark with showers forecast this morning but up early to pick up No 2 son and take him for his HGV lessons.   If he passes he will finally get a job, on the books, rather than being self employed.  His test is Friday.  Meanwhile for me it's a day going around various engineering workshops and foundries picking up components for 2 sets of horse tram brake columns that the Leeds Transport Historical Society are producing for  2 horse trams that are being restored.  One at Beamish and the other at ipswich Transport Museum.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start & 5oC but it looks like it will be fairly wet for most of the day with one or two brief sunny periods.

Weighed in yesterday & so far have lost 5lbs12ozs in 2 weeks so I must be doing something right.

New laptop nearly ended up in a skip last night so that's not so good. I actually like the machine itself & the 17" screen - I'm having problems with the OS & beginning to think I'm thick! (Someone close keeps saying "keep calm dear" - wait till Steve comes round) Unfortunately although I'm a lot more even tempered than I used to be my short fuse seems to be reappearing.

Intending to do some more to the layout today so that might help me regain my sanity (possibly)

Grandchildren & their parents here as usual later so that's good & will definitely brighten up my day.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

With Windows 8 learn to love the corners of the screen and visit them with your mouse. The top right reveals the menu that does lots of useful things. If you are having email problems the Win 8 email program isn't exactly marvellous! 

• RMweb Gold

Found the corners OK Tony & agree about e-mails but as most of mine seem to be "funnies" that isn't a major issue. My main problems revolve around my all in one printer. I can get the printer to work but can't find the scanner. Have tried to uninstall so that I can start again but it won't! Also a driver update seems to be "stuck". I'm certain my son will sort it out in a few minutes when he can get here so I'll just have to be patient & play with my trains instead!  :yes: