The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Not having been blessed with the opportunity to name a person, but having given great-thought to naming canines.....I much agree and favour using such singular and individual-monikers. :yes:

Perhaps had there been humans to name, I might`ve named them in honour of things that I`ve enjoyed, like my machine tools: there`s the 'Wright-Herbert' (capstan-turret), the 'Brown Butt-Gap' (lathe) or the 'Alcock' (mill)....ooh-err! :O

......so,  maybe not then! :mosking:

Some friends in the US have a new grandson and he is called Morgan and his siblings have abbreviated it to Moggy. I wonder if it also means a domestic cat in the US?

I'm not quite sure when we decided on Matthew's name. Aditi was only considering girl's names for some reason until one of the high resolution scans revealed that was a waste of time! Aditi quite liked the name "Alexander" but her Dad said it wasn't fair to give a child a long name in case they were stupid! 

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Because of the rain forecast we went out this morning for MRJ, bread and some lamb shanks. Also trip to cafe for 11ses and read of the mags.  Pages and pages on Duke of Gloucester but mine's not due til April.  :banghead:

Home at midday and within half an hour there was:

white out

strong gusts

thunder - getting louder

lightening - lots of it

Followed by:

downpour of hail

thunder and lightening overhead

electricity switching off and on

jackdaws fleeing/falling down from our tree (one managed to find a branch downwind close to the trunk and didn't look at all bothered)

All gone within 10 minutes (to somewhere near you?) but I managed to serve up tea and crumpets before it all went berserk.  :sungum:

And, no, it isn't sunny, now.  :D

No photos - I just enjoyed the moment.

Polly

Edit - to add head bashing ;)

Edit 2 - spiling mistook

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

It was sunny for an hour or so this morning.

But now ...........

I might`ve named them in honour of things that I`ve enjoyed, like my machine tools: there`s the 'Wright-Herbert' (capstan-turret), the 'Brown Butt-Gap' (lathe) or the 'Alcock' (mill)....

It's just as we'll you didn't then ..... the poor girl would have been really embarrassed.

Can you get winter tyres in that size for your car? My neighbour rather than put expensive winter tyres on his wife's little car bought a winter car instead.

I didn't know, so checked.  Your neighbour did the right thing….:-)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m98b0s5766p0/Winter_-_Snow_-_Cold_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_19_inch_R19_inch_-_285_30_19_285_30R19

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Last post was just to prove I'm there - this one is an update.  Spent most of the morning doing a lot of (non railway) sorting out what to keep, what to sell at the next Car Boot, and what we will no longer need - we are progressively doing this as we need to consider our next (and final) home move, as we plan to downsize - my hip is getting no better, and a whilst I'm far from being an invalid, we are beginning to think that if things deteriorate, then having just one floor and no stairs will be an advantage. 

Was going to do a bit more here, but dinner appears to be ready - saveloys and chips (found that Morrisons sell them up here.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I can highly recommend no stairs, Stewart!  We bought a bungalow because of Deb's knee which had been a problem for years, little knowing what was in store for me.  Our old rather rambling Edwardian terrace would have been a nightmare for me now.

Debs (ER version) if you get three more dogs how about Dean, Smith & Grace!  Better than a Colchester.....although I always liked a Milnes I once worked on.

edit - we'll leave South Bend out of it...... :jester:

Edited by New Haven Neil

Yea for bungalows - the only problem is that when you aren't used to using stairs, and have got out of the habit - they can make you a little awkward when you have to use them - my lady had problems with them so we bought a bungalow 25+ years ago, and I have benefitted too!

• RMweb Premium

Yea for bungalows - the only problem is that when you aren't used to using stairs, and have got out of the habit - they can make you a little awkward when you have to use them - my lady had problems with them so we bought a bungalow 25+ years ago, and I have benefitted too!

I do use the stairs at work when I am up to it, luckily (3rd floor, 9 flights with lots of twists!) I have the choice of the lift when I'm not too well.  At home I wouldn't have that luxury!

• RMweb Gold

I hate the BBC weather department! They said it wouldn't rain here between 11 and 6 so I have the top down on the car and the battery disconnected to do a seat swap and guess what???

Yep, TWICE!

Hard luck Colin.  Apart from the delectable Ms Kirkwood I tend not to rate the BBC weather dept (her forecasts are quite good too) and use the localised Met Office forecasts which are generally fairly accurate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the sun did come out... for around 17 mins then heavy rain showers and  the wind has increased. Spent a couple of hours sorting out the loft in the garage dividing into car boot/tip, amazing what you collect over the years but decided to be ruthless. Garage itself was done earlier in the week, just the house loft now. Luckily for me the tip is only 3 miles away so that's not a hassle.

Eventually we will down size, hopefully not before Ive finished my layout!

Morning All

I clicked agree as I agree that you should be banned from ER - but hey we'd miss your humour and constructive input friendly drivel - so just this time I think that with the agreement of the others we'll let you off.

Will you have forgotten this by 25th February? :)

• RMweb Premium

Talking dates - I hope I'm not too late to wish you all a

Happy St Dwynwen's Day

(patron saint of lover's/Welsh equivalent of St Valentine's Day).

Polly

• RMweb Gold

We have a fairly conventional house that I suppose could be considered to be a bit large but I have tried to make as low maintenance as possible. Even if we need a stair lift the stairs are a straight run! 

The newspapers seem to be full of stories about children not leaving home now too. Matthew's plans seem involve a few years of working overseas after he does a Masters degree (he is applying this week). Originally Matthew didn't want to apply for a Masters in London as he didn't think he would be able to study at home but after Christmas he said he had done so much here he felt he could do so now (and it is always warm at home!). 

Tony

Umm Polly... Saints beat Dragons in a right quagmire a little while ago. Weather was so bad that the ref took the players off for a hailstorm and as for aquaplaning, last try was preceded by a spectacular bow wave by the scorer!

• Like 1

I hate the BBC weather department! They said it wouldn't rain here between 11 and 6 so I have the top down on the car and the battery disconnected to do a seat swap and guess what???

Yep, TWICE!

Colin - Seriously, YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVED A "WEATHERMAN"??? Tsk, Tsk...

Sorry you had the problem though :(

• RMweb Gold

The BBC online forecast for our area is quite good and the Accuweather forecast on my phone seems fairly reliable. Considering we are coastal and allegedly have a micro climate they don't do too badly. However the wetness of this and last winter is unprecedented, certainly since I have lived in South Essex.

I've just moved from the kitchen into the lounge. The swaying of the leylandii was getting hypnotic!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Colin - Seriously, YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVED A "WEATHERMAN"??? Tsk, Tsk...

Sorry you had the problem though :(

Yes, more fool me eh?  It actually wasn't too bad and all is back together and roof back up which is just as well as an unpredicted thunderstorm is now overhead doing its worst.

Not my day as I thought I might have solved a false warning light , but it came back on when I reconnected the battery so we are stuck with it.