The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So did the painting of engines maroon, begin at the end of the blood and custard coach period and was it restricted to former LMS "big" engines or specific sheds or whatever? I have tried searching on the internet and information on why and when this happened seems to have eluded me!

Tony

Tony, 16 Duchesses and 4 Princesses were repainted red - one Duchess in December 1957, and all the others during 1958. Two of the Princesses and some of the Duchesses had "BR" orange-black-orange lining, the others got "LMS" yellow and black lining. Those with the "BR" lining eventually got the "LMS" style.

I've read that the original plan was to paint just enough to cover the 'Caledonian' duties, and a few more were done after that. Crewe and Polmadie engines did a lot of work at night, and it wasn't thought worth it to use up expensive red paint on them for that reason! (I don't know how much I believe that!) However, very few Crewe engines and no Polmadie ones got red.

nice place Ian - not so sure about the snow,  but last winter on Fraggle Rock we got a shock......

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Unfortunately it hadn't got sunny yet:

attachicon.gifDSC_20102.jpg

In a couple of months it'll be:

attachicon.gif2020_17A.jpg

Tony'll recognize that place!

Best, Pete.

Neil,

I imagine it WAS a shock! We're even shocked if we get too much snow too early (say mid-October), so getting some when you NEVER expect it must be "exciting" at best!

Pete,

Yeah    :sungum: ! Sandy beaches look really nice, but here in a "couple of months" i.e. mid-March, it'll look about the same as it does now  :no2: - one famous part of "up here" is the fact that summer is "a couple of days in July/August" if we're lucky :)

Not EXACTLY true, but generally we have snow cover until late April and it doesn't get what most folks would consider reasonably warm until late May or early June... Spring-summer-Autumn are about from late-May until late-September on a good year :O

The idea that Marples and his successors might have considered 'mothballing' rail routes in case of future need is a non-starter in the context of the mid 60s. Marples was part of a government heavily influenced by the 'Roads Lobby' of road haulage, car manufacturers and road builders. Marples himself was a major player, whatever he did with his shares in Marples Ridgeway when he became a minister. The succeeding government was committed to 'progress', which included putting car ownership within reach of everybody, thereby enhancing (!) the living standards of .the working class, providing income for British (in those days) motor manufacturers and work for the car workers. Future transport planning in those days consisted of motorways, dual carriageway trunk roads and bypasses.

Pete

Well, quite. Hence my comment about not planning for the future. You could say the true art of governance is not planning for next year, or even for in 5 years time, but planning for 25 years time. Even assuming 1 car per household, multiply the volume (or square-foot footprint, for that matter) of one car by the number of households and I think you'll find that you have a lot more volume (or square footage) to put somewhere, than somewhere to put it.

...Yes, this 'London & South East' centric thing is rather daft, when our friends moved to the further reaches of Herefordshire it was a pleasure to stay with them especially when the majority of traffic along the road outside consisted of people on horseback and farm tractors.  Meanwhile the idiots planners have decided our little town needs an extra 400 houses in what will be called 'sustainable development' which is an expression that defies all understanding as there are no major employers here, the schools are over subscribed, the car parks are always full, and so on.  Meanwhile someone working for one of the developers (Bloor) is clearly more than 10d short of a shilling when he suggested commuters from their proposed sites could use the lane which passes the top of our road - which is barely wide enough for a car in places and incorporates numerous blind bends.  But then such is the nature of money grubbing ticky-tacky property developers that practicality and common sense are the last things to occur in their demented little brains....

I think that the UK is reaping what was sown during the sixties and seventies, in the pursuit of a mythical egalitarianism any independent skill, thinking process or ability to analyse critically has been pretty much discouraged as it would lead to "winners" and "losers" (and we can't have that) - so the generation now in governance is unable to think critically and independently and chases after short-term glitter like some demented magpie...

iD

Did you get there, and if you did was Drake and Macefield on your list of "must visits" - first stop for me when I get into the town centre.

Afternoon All

Dd - were you there today - should have popped coastwards and looked in for a beer or a cuppa.

Been tied up all day with a major task so not been able to visit until now. 

Not a great deal to report, but for those who might be wondering...

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Oh, the fire's gone out - must shoot.

Regards to All

Stewart

What a delightful photo. Her expression?... well, I think that you can almost hear the sigh as she thinks "I really hate lying in comfy chairs, warming them up, but someone has to..."

iD

• RMweb Gold

I had three holidays last year, late Feb in Houston which was T-shirt weather, Easter in Alberta, nice snow, and a week in August in the Loire and Dordogne, pleasantly sunny. I think it rained here in Essex while I was away!

• RMweb Gold

Forward Planning. Basildon was a "planned New Town". When the 1948 master plan was produced the houses were planned  with one car parking space per 4 houses. I believe now it is the other way round. Basildon wasn't intended to have a railway station. There was supposed to be enough local employment to make it unnecessary. One was added later to prevent passengers having to travel to Pitsea or Laindon (the next places with stations).  

• RMweb Premium

Well, quite. Hence my comment about not planning for the future. You could say the true art of governance is not planning for next year, or even for in 5 years time, but planning for 25 years time. Even assuming 1 car per household, multiply the volume (or square-foot footprint, for that matter) of one car by the number of households and I think you'll find that you have a lot more volume (or square footage) to put somewhere, than somewhere to put it.

I think that the UK is reaping what was sown during the sixties and seventies, in the pursuit of a mythical egalitarianism any independent skill, thinking process or ability to analyse critically has been pretty much discouraged as it would lead to "winners" and "losers" (and we can't have that) - so the generation now in governance is unable to think critically and independently and chases after short-term glitter like some demented magpie...

iD

I think it is those who think power belongs to them rather than a complete generation unable to think.

• RMweb Premium

Forward Planning. Basildon was a "planned New Town". When the 1948 master plan was produced the houses were planned  with one car parking space per 4 houses. I believe now it is the other way round. Basildon wasn't intended to have a railway station. There was supposed to be enough local employment to make it unnecessary. One was added later to prevent passengers having to travel to Pitsea or Laindon (the next places with stations).  

In 1948 a parking space per four houses would have been generous. I live in Basildon and some of the houses near me were built with bike sheds! 

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

One of the mixed blessings of this upside-down land is that while you're all out partying on Saturday night it's already Sunday morning here.  A grey one at that though a perfectly comfortable temperature and it's dry.

I've never understood why being 11 hours ahead of the UK means I still can't get the football scores in time to win the pools ;)

Ah well - croissants and coffee it is then.  

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

Tony, 16 Duchesses and 4 Princesses were repainted red - one Duchess in December 1957, and all the others during 1958. Two of the Princesses and some of the Duchesses had "BR" orange-black-orange lining, the others got "LMS" yellow and black lining. Those with the "BR" lining eventually got the "LMS" style.

I've read that the original plan was to paint just enough to cover the 'Caledonian' duties, and a few more were done after that. Crewe and Polmadie engines did a lot of work at night, and it wasn't thought worth it to use up expensive red paint on them for that reason! (I don't know how much I believe that!) However, very few Crewe engines and no Polmadie ones got red.

I think - and I'm open to correction on this - that only ones allocated to the LMR received the new maroon livery because it was a Regional initiative from the LMR - which ties up with your comment about Polmadie engines.  Most of it not all the Duchesses were painted in BR blue livery although it didn't last long.

At risk of upsetting Debs here's a scan of a transparency I took at Upperby in 1963 where 46200, in by then somewhat weathered maroon, was stored waiting its fate

post-6859-0-83570400-1390086410_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

In 1948 a parking space per four houses would have been generous. I live in Basildon and some of the houses near me were built with bike sheds! 

I think part of the plan was that people should walk or cycle to the factories. I think the one space per 4 houses was at the time considered to be very generous. Years ago my wife used to take her A level Geography students onto the top floor of the multi-storey car park to look at Basildon and compare it to the "master plan". I suppose now they would use Google Earth rather than the car park.

I've never understood why being 11 hours ahead of the UK means I still can't get the football scores in time to win the pools ;)

I believe that actually happened for a (short) time in Ontario in the 1980s or 1990s. The provincial sports lottery started allowing betting on English soccer games. However, someone got the time difference wrong, and betting on a Saturday's games closed after the matches had ended! The lottery corporation wondered why they were losing so badly till somebody twigged. 

Nog 'n heelike dag!

Some cotton wool swabs of cloud on top of the mountain but otherwise clear blue from horizon to horizon.

26C promised with a SE wind at 17kph.

I'm loving the moderate temperature!

I hope your Sunday is happy and full of modelling. :no:

• Like 2