The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

Getting up time seemed to come up very quickly today.  I slept like a rock, and did not feel like getting out of bed.

The temperature is slightly above freezing this morning, having risen overnight.  It was clear and frosty when I went to bed, but had clouded over and thawed by the morning.  It is still ever so dark!

I love all the ship stories that we have been getting of late.  I have always found ships fascinating and wondered what goes on behind those closed doors and hatches. 

I must admit that my shipping experience is limited to cross channel ferries, and I am not a good sailor.  Maybe you get used to it, but I once crossed the channel in a force ten and it was not a pleasant experience.  I dosed myself with Stugeron, wore sea bands, sat down and didn't move and managed to keep everything inside that should remain inside.  However, the crew had to do their jobs and carried on as if nothing was happening!  That was only for a few hours - so goodness knows what it must be like when it goes on for days on end.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

[quote name="Gruffalo" post="1300218" timestamp="

The islands of the Caribbean are fascinating in their own right and there is a long dormant volcanic centre to the area. There are some lovely tourist spots and some very rough other places, fabulous wealth and abject poverty. Islands closer to Florida include that semi-US state of Puerto Rico, The Caymans, The Bahamas and Cuba. I spent many a sea trip passing between many of those and the further away ones such as Windwards, Leewards, Haiti / DOminican Republic on route to various oil ports to load or discharge in the late 60's and the 70's.

Interesting that the Caribbean Islands should be mentioned as we're heading out there for a two week cruise this Friday.

Hope you all have a good week!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 4

Barbados is my favourite island - though my cousin swears by Grenada  as he goes there every year. There's the rub; when I went to Grenada 25 years or so ago I thought it a dump...     I can't understand why Aruba is so popular with Americans either. I avoid Jamaica.

Days slowly getting longer here in Gotham.

Sun Rise: 7:20am

Sunset: 4:53pm

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, up and moving toast in hand it is dry outside at present after rain overnight again. No DD I never signed up for this it was assumed by the boy and his mother that I would care for them in the same fashion that I care for the rabbits and guinea pigs. I think selling them all and using the money raised to keep him in food would be a good scheme personally but I am a minority of one.

Edited by skipepsi

Interesting that the Caribbean Islands should be mentioned as we're heading out there for a two week cruise this Friday.

Clearly there will be no TOADS around the bay, just when I felt a need for a bit of kulcher! Enjoy "riding along on the crest of a wave" Asher's.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry & 6oC at the moment, sunshine & showers (some heavy) forecast.

Nothing planned at present except waiting in for a parcel - not for us - for our son. It's more convenient (for him) to have it delivered here. Mustn't complain because I do often (& am at the moment) call on him for IT assistance.

Didn't burn my finger yesterday as I still haven't unleashed hell the soldering iron. Maybe today.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

Clearly there will be no TOADS around the bay, just when I felt a need for a bit of kulcher! Enjoy "riding along on the crest of a wave" Asher's.

Actually there's a good Ayckbourn play on at The Little Theatre this week: "The Life of Riley". Each evening at 1930. Tickets available online at www.toadslittletheatre.co.uk or by ringing the Box Office: 01803 299330 which is open from 1030 - 1330 daily.

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Gold

I've never been to the Caribbean. I suppose if Aditi said lets go on a cruise I wouldn't object though I'd prefer to start and finish in Southampton rather than fly out. My brother was due to work in Grenada at the airport but the job was cancelled when the US "objected" to the Cuban involvement in the project.

My brother has been on a couple of Caribbean cruises but with lines that seem to have ships made by cutting and shutting some sort of freighter rather than being purpose built. 

• RMweb Premium

I've never been to the Caribbean. I suppose if Aditi said lets go on a cruise I wouldn't object though I'd prefer to start and finish in Southampton rather than fly out. My brother was due to work in Grenada at the airport but the job was cancelled when the US "objected" to the Cuban involvement in the project.

My brother has been on a couple of Caribbean cruises but with lines that seem to have ships made by cutting and shutting some sort of freighter rather than being purpose built. 

The MiL did, in fact, depart from So'ton. They are taking in a number of Caribbean islands in the 5 week voyage. The downside, as mention, is the transit through Biscay/Fitzroy which on this occasion had exceptional (bad!) weather. 

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

A sunny start to the day. I've written out my plan for the day which includes in about 5 minutes turning off the broadband till lunchtime. In 5.5 minutes I'm due to start my Italian lesson. By 12:00 I should have made pizza dough for tonight's meal and been to the diy shop to purchase anti damp paint.

Hope your day goes well and enjoy the sun whilst it lasts.

Debs, these electric cars have a lot of potential, but clearly the owners have a capacity to bore when passing on their current knowledge.   

Best, Andy

• RMweb Premium

Morning all - oh what a beautiful morning!!! Blue Skies... no frost....

First batch of washing on ....a trip to the PO in the offing... then a bit more modelling..

Have an exceptionally good day everyone..

Barry O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, second attempt after a computer crash and a looong scandisk.....

The sun device has emerged from the sea and is bathing us in it's warmth.  This won't last according to the seaweed twirlers, but it is nice while it lasts.

Robert, life at sea as an engineer in the 70's - 80's.....long periods of boredom, interspersed with periods of unbelievably high workload in an unpleasant (sometimes inside a very large engine, raining hot oil or working inside a cylinder or in an exhaust manifold you can walk almost upright in.....), and on occasion abject terror at the magnitude of the forces of nature.  Oh, and rather a lot to drink on a regular basis (see boredom above).  Yet I miss it.....odd things, humans.  Me more than many, perhaps! 

As for seasickness, after about three days in disappears in the majority of people, and doesn't make a return.  The odd poor soul suffers really badly every time there is a bump in the sea.

Are you flying out there, Gruff?

Hell of a haul across the Atlantic by boat in winter.

Crossed wires, methinks. We are flying out to Barbados on Friday, having travelled by train to Gatwick on Thursday and stayed overnight at Travelodge.

• RMweb Premium

Barbados is my favourite island - though my cousin swears by Grenada  as he goes there every year. There's the rub; when I went to Grenada 25 years or so ago I thought it a dump...     I can't understand why Aruba is so popular with Americans either. I avoid Jamaica.

Days slowly getting longer here in Gotham.

Sun Rise: 7:20am

Sunset: 4:53pm

Best, Pete.

I liked Barbados when I holidayed there in '78. Most of the holidaymakers there were Canadians, nothing against them but their favourite subject was how deep the snow was back home (October/November).

• Like 1

Morning all!

Time just for a quick cycle in the sun before starting (very late for me) to finalise my accounts.  Sigh.  I'd rather be in Barbados........................... :sungum:

Have a good one folks!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

The forecast said sunny periods, but no sign of let-up in the grey gloomy sky, and now some chance of showers. But mild, so life is possible.

Cruises aren't really me. Well, maybe down the Rhein or the Danube, but I can't think of a traditional ocean cruise destination - e.g. Sherry's current cruise, the Med or the Fjords, say - that would sustain my interest. It also doesn't help that I simply don't enjoy food in a way that cruising requires - small, frequent meals are best for me, not daily gastronomic blowouts, TVM.

Still no sign of Jon the builder, no phonecall, txt or buffer-all. I have done some basic site preparation.

I actually made a loaf yesterday. Early attempts with the breadmaker led to leaden unleven failures, but the latest yeast packet has a very simple recipe that just works.

Hope your week goes well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

builders merchants beckons for a few bits and bobs and a good look around at the power tools.

Alan, although I spent all my working life employed by a builders merchant my power tools are not (yet) for sale! :)