The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday, in passing, the OGF told me that Aldi had some electric kettles for sale, as well as other bits and bobs.

Shortly after the current electric kettle got into a right huff and declined to work anymore.

Guess where I was this morning?

A question for Tony S:

I've heard of Hell, both  USA and Norwegian variants; Kaliningrad and Prague are recognisable, as are more exotic locations such as Merthyr Tydfil, Llanddewi Brefi or even Splott

But where's Pingu?  Is it somewhere in the Asian subcontinent? :scratchhead:

Regards

R

• RMweb Gold

But where's Pingu?  Is it somewhere in the Asian subcontinent? :scratchhead:

Pingu was a kids cartoon about a penguin?

Anyway, after a day of trying this and that with the Flip - it works! Although one of the vids on YouTube clearly shows two AA Duracells being inserted in the battery compartment, the provided battery seems to be needed. Now I had plugged that into a USB-Mains socket yesterday, but obviously it's one of those that needs a PC on the end, as it didn't charge, leading me to think the battery was duff. Anyway - happy bunny!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This was taken yesterday afternoon about 2.30pm. Cold enough for snow on the tops. The moon also made an appearance.

post-14049-0-28304400-1389544399.jpg

Not like that now.  Good while it lasted.

Ah!  Pingu....shame the kids grew up...  

Nah.... :jester:

Polly

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Why is it that when you are looking for an article in a back issue of one's pile of railway modelling mags the article is in the very last one in the pile. And not in theModel Rail mag you were thinking it would be in, so had pushed all the Railway Modeller mags to one side. 

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I've had a very interesting evening and morning reading the RM article on Cromford (June 2011 if you're interested). Looks amenable to the garage format and Mrs B has indicated that a spa break in the area would be acceptable whilst grandparents look after the littleuns.

Talking of the grandparents I see the Good Ship "Cocktail Hour" has put on full sail and is steaming towards Barbados. Looking at the map I had no idea how close Trinidad and Tobago actually are to Venezuala - looks like a decent length bridge would attach the island to South America. Evidently my grip on geogers is weak as I'd sort of imagined these islands being a lot closer to Florida! Doh!

Anyway, just cooking tea for everyone so better dash. Best, Andy  

Stating the blindingly obvious as it is a chance for transferring a rhetorical question from the pointless thread Andy, the last magazine in which you look will always have what you seek! Us old farts do have our uses when parents want some "me" time.

The islands of the Caribbean are fascinating in their own right and there is a long dormant volcanic centre to the area. There are some lovely tourist spots and some very rough other places, fabulous wealth and abject poverty. Islands closer to Florida include that semi-US state of Puerto Rico, The Caymans, The Bahamas and Cuba. I spent many a sea trip passing between many of those and the further away ones such as Windwards, Leewards, Haiti / DOminican Republic on route to various oil ports to load or discharge in the late 60's and the 70's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stating the blindingly obvious as it is a chance for transferring a rhetorical question from the pointless thread Andy, the last magazine in which you look will always have what you seek! 

This also transposes neatly into the 'Where the hell did I put that down' conundrum.

The offending item will always found in the last place you look, although if you are like me, it will be during the third, or even forth, visitation.

Andy talking about food has made me peckish:  I believe we have beef stew and dumplings for this evenings grubfest!

Regards

R

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I'm back after depositing Matthew (and what seemed to be a ton of books he has liberated from Aditi's sociology shelves in her study)  in Leicester.

I set off homeward. I was so pleased to reach the sanity of the M25 as there seemed to be some very odd driving on the M1 today, not just lane hoggers but those who seemed to be looking for whiplash claims or were wannabee dodgem drivers.I have informed Aditi that I am now taking the rest of the month off :jester: , except for caring duties until her cold/cough subsides.

I can confirm that we didn't listen to Pingu in the car today. The audio tapes were funny but the TV series was hilarious. Aditi was genuinely  concerned about Matthew emulating some of Pingu's antics it nearly  got banned. Aditi now recognises that she was somewhat over-anxious about media influences.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

errrr, morning!

Busy busy busy day down at Groudle - preparing sleepers for a relay next week, made 40 today, drilled, pandrol plates fitted to gauge and delivered to site, and rails to suit (terribly second hand 30lb stuff, from the Ratty apparently!

Gruff, once went to Bonaire, awfulplace.....oil tanks and hills, little else apparent!  Discharged 130,000 tons of  nigerian fines, loaded some other crude muck, and on our way in 20 hours!  It sticks in my mind because we had a huge blackout, the Mates allowed the draft aft to get too shallow and we drew in air to the main induction (a three foot diameter pipe for seawater inlet to the land lubbers out there!) and lost everything in quick succession - no condensers so no steam, so no cargo pumps or T/A, no coolers so no diesels....ended up having to use drydock systems to get a start.  Bad day.

• Like 1

errrr, morning!

Busy busy busy day down at Groudle - preparing sleepers for a relay next week, made 40 today, drilled, pandrol plates fitted to gauge and delivered to site, and rails to suit (terribly second hand 30lb stuff, from the Ratty apparently!

Gruff, once went to Bonaire, awfulplace.....oil tanks and hills, little else apparent!  Discharged 130,000 tons of  nigerian fines, loaded some other crude muck, and on our way in 20 hours!  It sticks in my mind because we had a huge blackout, the Mates allowed the draft aft to get too shallow and we drew in air to the main induction (a three foot diameter pipe for seawater inlet to the land lubbers out there!) and lost everything in quick succession - no condensers so no steam, so no cargo pumps or T/A, no coolers so no diesels....ended up having to use drydock systems to get a start.  Bad day.

Offering sympathy now is wasted and I know that event would certainly be nothing to smile about. I used to visit Aruba but more frequently Curacao (a Shell refinery island) - where the harbour stank of crude and always had an oily sheen, almost the same as Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela where we used to go to load asphalt / bitumen for the eastern US seaboard ports. The largest ship I ever entered those port on was 33,000 DWT. Bl**dy sundeck department, always causing trouble for us.  :sungum:

PS - The Ratty was on a Tony Robinson Walking History ITV3 prog yesterday evening.

Edited by Gruffalo

• RMweb Premium

Ah, it was a stinking ship too, VLCC but a motor ship (Sulzer, 10RND90 IIRC) also with two water tube boilers for turbine cargo pumps, steam deck auxilliaries (yes, steam winches!!) T/A and D/A's - big Rustons - the one with the leg out of the bed!  So, it had everything a motor ship had, and everything a steam ship had.....but still only 5 engineers to look after what was effectively (bar a main engine turbine) two complete sets of plant.  An awful ship, hated every moment on it, 4 months to the day of hell.  The mate was an awful bully, a horrid man, and guess what - he lives just down the road here now!  He probably still wonders who keeps giving him the finger!!!!  Bl**dy star gazers.  /rant  !!!!!  Ohh, I feel better now!!!!!!

• Like 1

When I was young, it was some diesel-car owners that one regretted asking about their cars: MPG and service intervals, longevity etc.........for in those days, so few in number were those new-age oilers; that they formed a sort of antisocial-club to gang up on we oldfashioned stick-n-the-muds with petrol cars, they`d often bamboozle us; recounting tales of mpg`s so high that they`d have to stop every 100 miles to drain the excess fuel off! :mosking:

Well, there`s a new breed out there: the electric-car nut!........so beware, don`t (do as I have done today) innocently happen to ask "Is that an electric car?".......for then, I received a 40+ minute monologue on the benefits (fiscal, ecological, electrochemical and technical) of this new wonder of our age.....I quite literally "couldn`t get a word in edgewise". :O

In exchange for my polite (yet superficial) question: I now know everything about the subject! :wacko: .........I am surely the woman that knew too much! :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Snake?

Leg it?

I'm confused.

So was I ..... went on to feed and water the spiders got told off by son because one of them had eaten its way out of its plastic tub I obviously had not fed it enough, increased rations all round :butcher:

Hi all!

Clear sky, lovely day in prospect except for a promised 39kph SE wind.

Here it is being considered the first day of the New Year as many businesses that closed over Christmas and New Year reopen today.

Schools go back on Wednesday.

Business as usual.

We are laid back!

Happy 13th January,.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Woke to find a large yellow thing shining in at the window and significantly reducing the need for warm clothing.  Daytime top headed towards 35C with rather more forecast tomorrow and night-time lows of just 28C.  Still - the clear air was good enough to grab some unusual and genuinely moonlit shots of the modelling effort last night before turning in.  :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dark, dry and rather chilly here but no sign of frost. 

My main task this morning will be to hand over my car "key" to the driver who is collecting the car for its annual service.

Aditi won't be going to work today. She was concerned that she was supposed to be Duty Principal this morning. I politely suggested that as they knew she was ill last week and if she rings in at 8am this morning the "senior management" should be able to find someone capable. I also suggested that it was highly unlikely that orcish hordes would be ransacking the college on a Monday morning. This made Aditi laugh which wasn't probably sensible with the cough! 

Tony