The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

Quite a nice sunny morning here today - however, it is a bit more hazy than it has been over the past few days.

I can press CTRL-ALT-DEL with one hand too. Strangely enough, I work in IT.

Have a good day everyone.

I 'spect you're cheating though by using the CTRL-ALT on the right hand side. I can do that, but try doing it with the CTRL-ALT on the left.....wink.gif

• RMweb Premium

I 'spect you're cheating though by using the CTRL-ALT on the right hand side. I can do that, but try doing it with the CTRL-ALT on the left.....wink.gif

That would be Alt-Cmd-Esc for me :lol: .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is (and is forecast to continue as) a nice sunny day here. I've been awake since 5.30 am but don't seem to have done much apart from assemble a shopping list.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Dd's having his morning workout with the dumbells.

Just be nice to him and you may escape injury...! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Dd isn't after the rabbits is he? Today's paper has a story about a Hebridean island than spent a lot of money getting rid of rats that is now over-run with bunnies.

Tony

• RMweb Premium
... Today's paper has a story about a Hebridean island than spent a lot of money getting rid of rats that is now over-run with bunnies.

At least bunnies are edible!

Morning

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Cloudy here and a bit humid. Thanks for the welcome Mick - hope the cat's turned the corner now.

Builder ongoing, but we have at least got hot water now - bliss. Turns out that as with just about every other complication that we've had in this house, it was down to the lousy DIY skills of my predecessor, in this case diverting pipes in such a way that water was collecting in loops, and also in using cheap and nasty plumbing fittings which blew when pressure was applied - but hey, it won't add too much to the bill! Whether we have toilets when we get home is another matter, as the next job was to take down the soil stack and to replace it connected to the old and new toilets - i've not (yet) had a panic phone call.

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Soil stacks! That was another "simple" bit of the (last ever DIY) bathroom job that required an emergency dash to Wickes. I connected the new pan to the waste stack and it fell apart. On investigation it appeared that the builders had used solvent on push parts and nothing on bits that should have had solvent. I didn't even have time to make a list but just bought what I thought I needed. If I ever build an O gauge tube train at least I'll have some tunnels. It would appear that many of the soil-stacks on the east facing walls in our road are badly fitted but the west facing ones are OK. Different contractors perhaps?

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Soil stacks! That was another "simple" bit of the (last ever DIY) bathroom job that required an emergency dash to Wickes.

Tony

Not the best place to dash to, as I've had issues with most of the stuff I've got there over the years, and my builder won't touch their stuff - in fact the problems with the heating were due to lousy connectors provided by that supplier. We had two "hardwood" outside doors which rotted away in under three years, and when I invited them to come and examine them with a view to replacing, they gave every excuse under the sun from "they weren't prepared and hung correctly" to "you have had these over a year, so we regard the guarantee as expired". Funnily enough, since then, I have heard of several similar stories from colleagues and neighbours on the same matter of bad timber. He uses a local merchant who costs a little more, but whose stuff is of good quality. I've just spoken to Mrs 45156 and it seems that he is behind now with todays' jobs, due to being latein getting to us this morning (soundls like it was this afternoon!) so has decided to alter the order in which the work is done, so that we are not a toilet free zone overnight, and he's doing the stack tomorrow instead. Don't you just love 'em!

• RMweb Gold

Soil stack - it just sounds as unpleasant as it probably is...! ;)

Dave.

Not as unpleasant as when my neighbour's three year old flushed a couple of packs of baby wipes down their lavatory the day they went on holiday. The blockage 2 days later either side of their house was spectacular.

Morning All,

It is another lovely, bright morning here. Blue sky and quite warm.

I bet that blockage was spectacular. Amazing that the baby wipes got as far as they did!

Isn't "lavatory" a funny word?

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all!

I've been catching up on four days missed posts, hence a late start here.

That four day weekend was heavenly! Saturday and Sunday were normal Saturday and Sunday, but Sunday was enhanced by the knowledge that the next day was FREE!

Ditto Monday with the knowledge that I didn't have to get up at any time the next day.

I wasn't a slug-a-bed and got up at 6:30 on both days, but I didn't HAVE to!

The weather was excellent over the whole period, clear blue skys with temps in the low twenties. Today is overcast with a cold wind! but it doesn't matter as I'm at work.

I hope the kitty's OK Mick.

Nice update on Wittering, Dd.

I hope everybody's plumbing and building works are in order.

Happy hump day everybody! :D

• RMweb Gold
Isn't "lavatory" a funny word?

It's called lavatorial humour.

My plumbing and building works are fine Don, although I do have a bit of a cold.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Haven't checked in for a while!

Going for a geography trip today - we're getting a coach to go up the road a few miles, then measuring the flow of water in a stream, then walking down a bit and measuring a bit more, and then walking back to college (3:00pm) where for 3 hours (i.e. out of college time) till 6:00pm we will be writing up what we have found. Gonna be a long day... looks like I'll need to find some wellies!

Jam:

Top tip: Wait downstream and measure it twice.

Good to see you back having enjoyed the break, Don.

Lots of family health stuff going on at the moment so progress slightly delayed.

However, during an hour waiting for a 'phone call yesterday, I was going to earn some Brownie points by tiling a further stretch of bathroom.

It took a while to get all the kit assembled, cut out the bevelled finishing line, and at last I spread some adhesive on the wall.

It was at that point that I realised that, not only were the tiles a totally different shade but they were 0.25" smaller.

That adhesive is a real ####### to get off the wall.

No Brownie points.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Haven't checked in for a while!

Going for a geography trip today - we're getting a coach to go up the road a few miles, then measuring the flow of water in a stream, then walking down a bit and measuring a bit more, and then walking back to college (3:00pm) where for 3 hours (i.e. out of college time) till 6:00pm we will be writing up what we have found. Gonna be a long day... looks like I'll need to find some wellies!

Sounds like a lovely day, playing Pooh-sticks and a nice walk in the country.

Tony