The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, 

Back to the chaos that is life here today I guess?  Hope all who have to work today survive!    As to the rest, well you have a good day too.

And try to remember to find something to smile at! 

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Morning, Up and about to go for a paper, today sees the big return to work and normality resumes for us retirees, for those returning to work I hope it goes well.

Catch you later, enjoy the day

• Like 2

Morning All,

I am back in the office this morning - which is a bit of a shock to the system.

There is still no sign of Winter!

I think it is time for a coffee - Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet & windy again, 10oC. No leaks overnight. Sunny periods, showers, hail, thunder, more wind & rain forecast. Wot? No snow? I expect that will come eventually.

I missed posting yesterday due to having even less drivel than usual to spout. 

Tree & decorations all packed away in the loft for another year. Kids & grandkids paid a surprise visit Saturday night which livened up what was going to be a quiet evening.

Managed to spend a couple of hours yesterday evening playing with Christmas toys which was very relaxing.

I've decided to pension off my very old very slow desktop PC & this not so old not quite as slow laptop so the next few days will be spent looking for a replacement. I will of course be helped in this quest by my IT dept. (my son Steve)

Commiserations to the return to workers,

Have a good one (if you can)

Bob.

• Like 2

Newsy update Bob. Re IT bits, I am generally an Apple type but there are some things for which I need a PC so I have a laptop representing each. Generally I use the MacBook Air (OS10.7) as it is so convenient and (touch wood) reliable without the problems of viruses (virae?). All systems are now trying to be more like your tablet / mobile phone but this seems to bring its own issues. My Sony laptop runs Windows 7 with Kaspersky protection. You pay more for Apple stuff but it does seem to have longer life and less added costs in use.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I haven't looked out yet so can't comment on the weather. It is forecast to fairly mild and dry later.

Cold and cough have progressed from total discombobulation to decongestion overnight.

Weather update, Raining quite heavily.

Aditi returns to work today. I'm supposed to be taking Matthew back to Leicester sometime this week, (term starts next Monday). I don't think I would be OK to drive far until the latter half of the week, Though at the moment our house is warmer than his house in Leicester and is probably better for his writing. If he has to go back urgently he'll go by train and we will take his heavy stuff up as soon as possible.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

A wet and windy night again. Throughout the weekend, many ships have anchored in the bay, which we can glimpse through the trees opposite our house, to ride out the storm. Apparently, Brixham was flooded yesterday, around the harbour.

Hope conditions aren't too grim for those returning to work. Our day will partly involve the removal of all signs of Christmas in honour of Twelfth Night.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all..

5 hours of indoor cricket last night which reminded me to do some more physical exercise...

Grey and overcast here, hope everyone has a good day

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Cloudy with showers today. Heavy rain expected tomorrow with more rain, but clearing on Wednesday.

Welcome to Europe, Don - all you need is added gales!

The guy in the washing machine probably made a better choice there than the freezer.

A bit wild and windy with some rain overnight - but much less so than some of you. Drizzly and occasionally blustery now - but 10 degrees. Heating costs so far this winter must be down for many of us. Reminds me - the meter reader is due tomorrow.

Share the good wishes for those now back in daily-grind mode. I recall a morning like this just after return to work 1991, probably in Room 301, Euston House, for a dreary meeting while the weather was likewise. The nadir of the year, even though we're a fortnight past Winter Solstice. Bet the holiday brochures are getting a bashing.

EDIT. I have worn a beard for most of the last 45 years. Sherry makes a good point!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I decided that my inflamed eyeball wasn't going to respond to any "over the counter" treatment so I made an appointment to see a doctor and now have a prescription for eyedrops.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Morning all.

I decided that my inflamed eyeball wasn't going to any "over the counter" treatment so I made an appointment to see a doctor and now have a prescription for eyedrops.

Tony

Eyes are too precious and deserve expert care. Hope the drops are effective.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

An early start to drop swmbo at work then head home again to take the car in for a new part to be fitted.

The garage had ordered the wrong part - the hazards of describing the problem over the phone - so we have to repeat the procedure tomorrow with the added job of taking the children to school too. 

A small brook behind the garage had swollen to a raging torrent and looked to be eroding soil around some very large trees. They'd started to cordon off the customer car park just in case. 

Heading out now to see if I can replace the door sealant gunge on my own garage door and start to dry the breeze blocks out.

Have a nice day everyone. Andy 

• Like 1

Mild but wet underfoot. No, more like b****y soaking. Working at home again - new set of pills.

And discovered sometimes you have to suspend belief - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25618683

I wonder what he and his partner were planning to do once the partner had found him!  Getting stuck certainly put the mockers on that!

Wet and windy here too - goes without saying really.

• RMweb Premium

Morning, thought I had posted earlier but there is no evidence of that!

Another windy, rainy day, with yet more tidal flooding predicted.  It's time for all this to calm down a bit.

Work not too bad considering, but that will change as the week goes on and the bobbies all submit their paperwork from over the festive season for our attention.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Commiserations to all those with their noses reapplied to the grindstone (however I do have a Rule Book to revise so I an't looking at all smug).  But first, I am told,  it is 12th Night duties with boxes to get down from the attic for refilling with 'Christmas' until the next one.

And I'm pleased to see all the politicos are bursting to prove how much they love us pensioners and how they're going to 'protect' our pensions - as usual when they say things like that my first question is 'how much will it cost me to have my pension protected?'  But on a brighter note we are due furher heavy rain this afternoon and this evening - at least the weather is reiable!  Talking of which old father Thames is managing to overflow a bit in various places in our vicinity and of course there's more to come downstream which will no doubt create a great fuss in the local 'paper even if it is less than teh flooding we used to get every Spring.

And on that bright note - have a good day one & all. 

• Like 5