The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Booked our summer holiday last night, Jersey. No trains :-(  Still, will get to go to Swanage after our week in Jersey.  What a faff though, getting a camper van on to Jersey, have to book crossings, campsite and then get a permit....luckily the campsite folk are very helpful.

Neil, have a look at http://www.pallotmuseum.co.uk/index.htm

See there are trains there!  (and some other interesting stuff) .  But roads are narrow!  The last time I was there (The Channel Islands were part of my "patch" in a past life!) A lot of the Jersey Railway route could be  followed.  Talk about faff though, I regularly had to get service engineers & their vans out to the islands, and  always had more problems with UK customs coming back from the Islands than from anywhere else!  

Enjoy, 

Trev

Afternoon all,

It is a nice sunny afternoon here, but no cycling today as my winter cycling gear isn't dry from being washed after Friday's muddy ride.

Back to work tomorrow, so I am enjoying the last of the Christmas peace and quiet.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Decorations now down and packed up ready to go into the loft. 

No rain overnight but it is starting to shower again. 

Had a curry with my little cousin last night - she's visited a couple of times recently as this time of year is quiet for filming with the Beeb.

Class 20 and 108 run in  yesterday - an hour at low speed in each direction using DC prior to the decoder fitting.

Without wishing to go off topic, the recent (current?) BRM with a pamphlet by Phil Parker was most informative - refreshing to read an article where someone spells out the chronological mistakes they made on each of their successive layouts. Nicely written and I'll be buying the next couple of issues to read Phil's next articles.   

Reflecting back to the Christmas presents that were available at the garden centre I saw a compilation annual from Marvel Magazine from the 1950s. One of the pieces in it was on how to build a Molotov cocktail. Somewhat amusing to think that boys were given detailed instructions on how to make a functioning incendiary bomb with their weekly comic.

Meanwhile the MiL on the SS Forelorn Hope heading across Trafalgar is in calmer water today - Gale Force 7, I believe. 6 stitches for one passenger who fell off their chair whilst playing bridge yesterday and a number of other passengers injured falling over.   

Have a nice remains of the day everyone. Andy

• RMweb Premium

Just put the Christmas decs back in the garage loft. Noticed that the recent foul weather has taken it's toll. The side door we fitted a few years ago has allowed water to leak in and the breeze blocks are a very dark colour. Suspect the frame sealant has come adrift after the door has been shut forcibly once too often when the wooden door swells with damp. Going to have to apply a layer of new frame sealant and see if I can counter this problem before I go all out to insulate the garage in the weeks to come.   

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that info, Trev - absorbed!

Today I have been mostly...in the garage playing about thinking about the future of my HO layout.  The branch up to a cement works has been ripped out, the clearance above the 'North' fiddle yard wasn't great enough without a mad gradient up to it - so it is history.  The cement works is relocated into a corner with a spur off the main, or it will be when I fit the track.....and that is that, time to move on and do some scenery on the main section after that.

Photographed a few cars on the small sort of completed section, several shots show a lack of cleaning beforehand, with fluff, spider webs and other detritus in the way.

Weathered this caboose recently - shame I didn't do the flat car too....bit blurry too now I look.

post-10195-0-89699400-1388940308_thumb.jpg

This 50 footer was done last summer, and hasn't moved since.....

post-10195-0-14889500-1388940372_thumb.jpg

These cement hoppers are more recent, just been adding to the weathering, rust spots using artists pencils.  Don't show too well in the photo, looks better in the 'flesh'.

post-10195-0-19986100-1388940442_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The big Mike - complete with fluff.....

post-10195-0-38768600-1388940625_thumb.jpg

A GP9, a new loco so still mostly clean.  Again in the flesh it shows some road grime not really apparent in the photo.

post-10195-0-54362600-1388940699_thumb.jpg

I'm off to browse the forum before I get banned.... :O  :angel:

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just read Kevin Robertsons book on the three Southern Diesels,which i enjoyed.  I better not tell Chard though as there are many mentions of the Fell including an artists impression of a 242 + 242 version of it that's in a streamlined casing plus a picture of the one that got built.   Made a nice change from watching the appalling weathere forecasts.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

I am currently reading Hydraulic vs Electric, the battle for the BR diesel fleet by David Clough. It is a cracking read and also has a chapter on both the Southern diesels and the Fell diesel mechanical. That was certainly a clever piece of engineering!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, dropped the boy off in Winchester then legged it north just getting caught in the rain 50 miles short of home. Sorry I decided the failed experts were funny and Robert clever engineering does not fail or catch fire. The Fell locomotve is a mechanical nightmare with solutions for problems that would not have existed if it had been designed properly in the first place. Electric versus hydraulic was a rigged contest I think western region fans can with hindsight refute quite a few 'facts'. .

• RMweb Premium

I was always a little surprised by the failure of the hydraulics in the USA, the Rio Grande/SP ones boiled their transmission fluid apparently, they were unable to maintain the output in the mountain conditions they were initially used in, but were OK in the flatlands.  I suppose their fate would always be such, as non-US and non standard ( that is to say, not ALCo or EMD!).

• RMweb Premium

One word puts me off the 'Fell' - Paxman!!

The gearbox is quite something though, I hadn't appreciated how it functioned previously.  The Mk2 version would have been much more sensible, but the relative simplicity of diesel-electric or hydraulic transmission was always going to be easier IMHO.