The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have just come back from a short cycle ride.  The wind was stronger today, and therefore it seemed a lot colder than it actually was.  The tracks were also muddier as I elected to ride the first stage (mainly into the wind) through the forest.

Some people amaze me - particularly in this silly season - my Girlfriend went shopping this morning, and while pausing at the frozen food section to contemplate what to buy, her trolly was grabbed and swung out of the way by a pensioner.  The trolly then proceeded to ram an old couple in the side.

My Girlfriend told the pensioner all he had to do was to say "excuse me" and she would move.  He didn't need to be rude and start pushing, shoving and ramming other people.

He told her grumpily that he "needed to be there, and she was in the way" and then added that the "Young people of today have no respect".

Without drawing breath, she added "... and neither, would it seem, do the old of yesterday".

The pensioners face was an absolute picture!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, weather here a calm 8c with sunshine and no wind,  hoovered  both cars, disposed of the Christmas tree and stacked logs for the stove.

Re Waitrose Loyalty card, you get a free paper ( Mail/Telegraph) if you spend over a fiver and the card gets you 10% of various in store promotions besides the free coffee.

• RMweb Gold

Gosh, the whole thing is frightening, from the wind and rain to the flooding to the snow in NE USA.  One report shows the water from firefighters'  hoses freezing as soon as it touches anything.

I do hope that all are safe, whether they be up Welsh mountains, near coasts or rivers, on rocks in the sea or facing Australian fast bowler Michael Johnson.

Edited by BoD

Re Waitrose Loyalty card, you get a free paper ( Mail/Telegraph) if you spend over a fiver and the card gets you 10% of various in store promotions besides the free coffee.

Ma' local ane's a wee bittee far tae get the use oot uv it, so ah ken ah'll nae bother!

post-6688-0-00645100-1388763300.jpg

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Ma' local ane's a wee bittee far tae get the use oot uv it, so ah ken ah'll nae bother!

Shortliner has gone all Paw Broon on us.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Premium

Do I see both the 'Bens'; Varrey and the Maye, there?...........very wise to stay alongside; but best not actually on the East Quay car park! :no:

Yes Debs, but no longer the Ramsey Steamship Company - ceased trading last month, someone else has picked them up now, not sure who but I think the owners are from Kent.  Mezeron only have one ship now too :-( 

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's late afternoon - again. How come the day goes so quick?

Had sunshine this morning but it soon turned dark (and wet) but, as I've already mentioned somewhere, it makes the tree lights look good.  Yep, it's still up - till the Twelfth Day.

Time for tea and Christmas cake now - I think I've mentioned that a few times before as well.

Make the most of it, normal service will resume shortly.

Hope the rest of your day treats you kjndly.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Been to Barrooow where it was a trifle windy to say the least - 3 CovHops procured, house aired, more (smaller waisted) Craghopper trousers bought in Dibinghams...

Greenodd buy pass was about to flood with the tide on the way back so timing exemplary!

Tried to stop to take a pic of the Black Shark at Lakeside and Haverthwaite but gates locked...

Neil - is Fraggle Rock sinking?

Stay safe people and Trisonic - time for the Damart vests (at a sale price of £1 each)...

Barry O

• Like 3

Been to Barrooow where it was a trifle windy to say the least - 3 CovHops procured, house aired, more (smaller waisted) Craghopper trousers bought in Dibinghams...

Greenodd buy pass was about to flood with the tide on the way back so timing exemplary!

Tried to stop to take a pic of the Black Shark at Lakeside and Haverthwaite but gates locked...

Neil - is Fraggle Rock sinking?

Stay safe people and Trisonic - time for the Damart vests (at a sale price of £1 each)...

Barry O

Not surprised at all - in the west of Cumbria, I think the sea was as high as I have seen it in 30 years - combination of high spring tide and high winds.  No trains running between Barrow and Workington just now as a result.

• RMweb Premium

We are just surfacing now, Barry!  A lot of flooding in Ramsey and Castletown, storm surge put the level at 80cm above 'quayside level' - one of the highest tides of the year too.  Many shops and houses flooded, thank crunchie it wasn't raining.

Eeeditt for spelling - 'thighest' LOL!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

It would have been a good day for Artful to depart Barrow (apart from the wind) as all that extra water helps....

Didn't realise Fraggle Rock was submersible.....

• RMweb Gold

Matthew said he never complained about the winter weather in Calgary as he didn't want to be mocked by the locals! The last winter there was one of the milder examples but they did have -45C. 

Matthew told me that it is colder in Minnesota at present than on Mars! No idea if that is true or not, he said he saw it on Facebook!

• RMweb Premium

I am having the feeling that a headache is building, which may or may not be weather-related. It's a tad breezy outside, so it could be we are getting a small share of at is going on around the British Isles right now.

Stay safe, folks!

• RMweb Gold

Just to put Pete's temperatures in perspective. We were living i Shropshire when then coldest temperature on record in England occured -26.something deg C I was about and about on that day at one farm on the shropshire hills it was -12 at lunchtime (beware frozen cow sh*t - not much grip for the tyres).

The wind is a tad strong up on North Hill today. No sign of the Dipper today that stream is a raging torrent and has covered the grass in gravel in some places. Rather worrying is there seems to be no imminent end to it.

Do take care I cannot remember how little water it needs before you can lose your footing when it is moving fast only a few inches.

Don

Back from weekly shop - then onto the web to look at the places we're familiar with in the south west and be thankful we aren't there at the moment.

Sandy's been back at work for two days, now it's the weekend. When she got in the car she said it'd been a long week!

Stay safe.