The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My dipped headlight went yesterday - I was photographing the local units as I do every New Years day just to kick things off, it was so dull the car wanted the headlights on at 13:00 ! - the dreaded "Fault with dipped headlight" appeared on the dashboard - great.

Coincidence there Beast, I had one fail but luckily I already had a spare and changing that particular one is not difficult on the Alfa.

• RMweb Premium

It fills me with dread nowadays.....the Foci is easy enough to do in daylight once you know where the clips are hidden, really hidden (you have to remve the whole headlamp assembly from the car) but is impossible at night when stopped on a vehicle check after noticing the fault about 20 minutes earlier (sods law)......although we cary a bulb kit, the RPU Officer took some convincing I couldn't do it there and then! 

• RMweb Gold

She did well. In these days of high-tech bulbs, and some cars where bits of bodywork have to be removed to change bulbs, I'm surprised it needs new wipers already.

Ed

Ed - the wipers are nearly three years old - and doing a lot of rural driving they get hammered - I think they've done pretty well considering.

I was worried about the Xeon bulbs, the last I got were very expensive but these weren't too bad in fact the pair were cheaper than the wipers !  - I guess as they are a lot more common these days the price has dropped.

I could fit them myself, I used to rebuild whole cars never mind headlight bulbs but for £7 both were fitted, tested and no "oops Scotties" moments when the bulb was dropped - a no brainer to me.

Tony - Jill bought a spare bulb pack for her 2013 Fiesta when she took it to Germany and back (hence a mandatory requirement) - it was £25 or there abouts.

• RMweb Premium

I suffer from elephant's memory for a lot of life's trivia, and forget what I was supposed to buy in the supermarket today. I can recite a late friend's company car registration numbers from the late 60s/early 70s. How pointless is that?

I am quite similar in that respect, actually! Unfortunately, I tend to preserve those memories best which I would rather forget...

Ed - the wipers are nearly three years old - and doing a lot of rural driving they get hammered - I think they've done pretty well considering.

I was worried about the Xeon bulbs, the last I got were very expensive but these weren't too bad in fact the pair were cheaper than the wipers !  - I guess as they are a lot more common these days the price has dropped.

I could fit them myself, I used to rebuild whole cars never mind headlight bulbs but for £7 both were fitted, tested and no "oops Scotties" moments when the bulb was dropped - a no brainer to me.

Tony - Jill bought a spare bulb pack for her 2013 Fiesta when she took it to Germany and back (hence a mandatory requirement) - it was £25 or there abouts.

It was the Fiesta I was thinking of.  :no:

Ed

I must admit that changing headlight bulbs has become ridiculously difficult.  It should be something that can be done by the driver - but it is getting increasingly difficult.

I haven't had to change a bulb on my Toyota, but the Zafira was difficult.  You needed the hands of a Geisha and the muscles of a Gorilla.  The Vectra, I had before that was even worse.  You had to dismantle half of the front of the car (including taking the air intake filter box out) to get access.

Easiest, of course, was the Mini!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

MiL and friend dropped off at So'ton docks. Forecast now up to Gale Force 10. I looked up the definition of Gale Force 10 and it was "Get a priest from Apostleship of the Seas / Mission to Seafarers to wave you off at the quayside." :O

Side light on Picaso gone and MoT due in the morning. 

Exciting package from the Liverpool area currently in the Warrington area. 

Day started clear and bright but now raining again. Quite a lot of standing water on local roads and rivers nicely topped up. Yoinks. 

Best, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, I was planning a relaxing day until other half decided to remove the Christmas Tree and decorations! Surprised they lasted this long but all done now.

Buford Bridge hotel was my second home for a long time staying 3 nights a week when I was working at HO, nice swimming pool there which has been extended temporarily by the weather apparently!

Made a nice change to see the sun and no gale force winds today. Back to grey and wet tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I will take our decorations down on Saturday or Sunday. I would have done it already but someone Matthew met while travelling in Canada may visit on Friday/Saurday and Aditi thought it would be nice to leave the tree and lights.

• RMweb Gold

Well if the warnings and alerts on the 'net are correct it looks as if we won't be getting out feet wet at Sonning tonight - hope the show will be a good one but it looks ok from the ad, very nice of Mrs Stationmaster to treat me but I do wonder if she studied the details first ... tehehe

http://www.millatsonning.com/notNowDarling.html

• Like 3

Must be a day for car gremlins.  A big warning came up on the dash telling me to add 1Ltr of oil next time I filled up.  Checked the handbook when I got home and found they recommended Mobil 1 0-40W, so always doing what I'm told, toddled off to Halfords to find 1 litre was the best part of £20 and 5 litres 'just' £39.95….Ouch!

Decided the 5L was better value if this was going to be an ongoing situation.

Such is the fun of having a high performance car...

Got home, opened the bonnet checked the oil again and saw it was just below the mid range but still well in spec…:-(

Added about 1/3 or a litre and now have 4.66 litres left.  It will see me out at that rate...

Enjoy the show tonight Mike.  Sounds right up my street…:-)

There were several roads round here shut with rivers bursting their banks and blow me, the golf course was shut as well….

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

A big warning came up on the dash telling me to add 1Ltr of oil next time I filled up.   

Such is the fun of having a high performance car...

Even some low performance cars specify very expensive oils that don't appear to be sold in Halfords!

• RMweb Premium

Just checked the Royal Mail tracker...

"at Warrington Mail Centre on the 2014-01-01 and we are currently processing it."

They've been "processing" it all day. Playing with it more like! Hey, ho - it'd save me running it in.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I heard from Linda of the Leylandii again today. Her insurance company told her that I should claim on my insurance and then my insurance could contact them. So my insurers (Saga) are sending me a cheque and didn't quibble about the plants, trellis and birdbox. No fuss even about the very expensive Dwarf Norway Spruce. This was paid out on my garden insurance. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't had plant insurance. Removing a fallen tree from my  property would have come from my buildings insurance, not the garden insurance, and the buildings excess is £150. I suppose I would have had to pay it and then use legal expense insurance to recover it if I hadn't already chopped it up myself. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Seems that Ms. Leylandii gets off somewhat lightly at the end of the day and it is you and Aditi who have suffered. 

Is there no way you can claim for stress, inconvenience or something along those lines.

• RMweb Premium

Evening orl.

Absolutely throwing it down here again, not good as everywhere is sodden already - I predict tears in some places later - a very high tide and storm surge coming as force 8 - 10 winds predicted, water is expected to come over quaysides in several places on the Island.  Sheesh, we're used to rain but this is getting ridiculous.

• RMweb Gold

Seems that Ms. Leylandii gets off somewhat lightly at the end of the day and it is you and Aditi who have suffered. 

Is there no way you can claim for stress, inconvenience or something along those lines.

Probably not. However if the remaining trees are not "trimmed" to my satisfaction I will have no hesitation in applying for a tree ASBO through the local council. We are really lucky with the neighbours on either side (and over the road) so one problematical lot aren't too bad. I don't think their inaction over the trees is malicious just failure to getting round to doing anything, hoping it won't happen. If she doesn't repair her fence Aditi has decided we will erect our own fence allowing her to have something more attractive. One of the nice neighbours has even offered to dig the holes and mix the cement for the posts. 

Tony

• Like 2