The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Jack, check it periodically (the outside vent) for critters like mice taking up temporary residence with nests - I say temporary because it usually kills them too.

BTW Am I up-to-date on our email exchanges relating to both "3 Bridges" and the "Urban" plan?

Best, Pete.

It vents up the chimney and I think the mickeys would have a problem nestbuildng up there with a vertical drop under it - the cap has a guard fitted so it would be a problem for them to get in anyway - although birds used to jump about on the previous cap that was fitted to the flue liner - now  removed - and make a racket when the fire wasn't on! I sent you a couple of quickies this am earlier - if you have had those then we are up to date - hope MIL is better

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, again.Happy NewYear everyone for the first time ever our first footer was Clyde the cat still failed to win the lottery.... 

Looks like localised flooding again just inadequate drainage or poor maintenance nothing desperate. Cold rain today with little bits of sleet so building up for the return trips to uni (saturday and sunday) then back to work Monday.

• RMweb Premium

So, the MiL is off on a cruise tomorrow, starting off from So'ton docks and heading towards Teneriffe.

Being the helpful chap that I am I looked up the shipping forecast for her and read it out - in a voice, and face apparently akin to Frankie Howerd.

Wight - Gale force 9, sea state high. Ooh, no, just NO.  :scared:

Portland - Gale force 9 sea state high, visibility good. Well, at least you'll be able to see the waves.  :thankyou:

Trafalgar....Ooh, madam, noooo, with face contorting as if sucking on a lemon.  :swoon:

I've just checked the tv schedules but the Poseidon Adventure isn't on. I do like to keep moral up where I can.  :prankster:

Naturally I asked if her affairs were in order  :mail:  and she's now talking to swmbo about what to do with her china tea service.  

• RMweb Gold

Sherry won't have seen it yet, but an RMwebber has just changed his layout name to Ashcombe!

Hope your day pleases.

Feeling left out Polly???

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

The local weather forecast uses the word "persisting"  rather a lot. The rain is heavy and the wind is very gusty, Aditi and Robbie have just gone for a walk. Aditi said I was coughing for most of the night and should not exert myself too much, which is kind as I suppose I must have kept her awake.

Tony

Good afternoon all. As a true GOF, I managed to avoid any celebration of Tuesday becoming Wednesday (to the chagrin of SWMBO) but grandkids were awake at various times during the night (02:00, 03:30, 04:15; daughter and SiL returned at 04:20) so a somewhat broken night's sleep! It is persisting down at around 45degs here at present and I have repaired the washing machine so smiles from the daughter. I am about to start food preps having put a shoulder of pork in the Aga 5 hours ago.

I trust the next 365 days are an improvement upon that last for everyone who visits ERs and also for those Webbers who don't.

• Like 2

I have just come back from a cycle ride, and am feeling a lot better for it.  Not a long one, given that I haven't been out for a while, but I did manage to put in around 24km which is quite respectable.  The weather was a little on the cool side, but the wind is light and the sun was shining.

I must admit that I am not a big fan of New Year either, Gruffalo.  I am very fortunate, but being a pessimist by nature, means that I can't help wondering (and worrying) if my luck will hold, or change. :blush: Ridiculous really, because I can't do anything about it either way!

In other news, my DCC controller is continuing to take shape.

DSCF0581_zps6ea7b495.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So, the MiL is off on a cruise tomorrow, starting off from So'ton docks and heading towards Teneriffe.

Being the helpful chap that I am I looked up the shipping forecast for her and read it out - in a voice, and face apparently akin to Frankie Howerd.

Portland - Gale force 9 sea state high, visibility good. Well, at least you'll be able to see the waves.  :thankyou:

Trafalgar....Ooh, madam, noooo, with face contorting as if sucking on a lemon.  :swoon:

I've just checked the tv schedules but the Poseidon Adventure isn't on. I do like to keep moral up where I can.  :prankster:

Naturally I asked if her affairs were in order  :mail:  and she's now talking to swmbo about what to do with her china tea service.  

My late aunt, who served for 22 years in the WRNS, foolishly admitted she was not a good sailor.

We used to tease her by throwing buckets of cold water at the kitchen windows (from the outside) to see if we could provoke a reaction!

I must have been a horrible child!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, now fully recovered after last nights excess, mind you I have given up alcohol for the month of January ( 10 hours in, for charity)) which partly explains the excess last night.

Its been dark all day here  with a sunny day forecast for tomorrow which I will believe when I see it.

See Debs has a potential customer on another thread which has sparked some humorous comments!

• Like 3

Happy New Year one and all!

Out bright and early this morning for a journey down to Selsey to see SiL.  Absolutely bucketing down so a lot of slack water on the A3.  Thankfully the roads were very quiet and it was a pleasure to drive.

On the way back the usual 50 signs and then a lane closed.  About three miles further on was a beautiful white Nissan GTR somewhat modified as it had probably aquaplaned and done a few spins before finishing at 90 degrees to the road.  

I should take it up with the PR people.  The road holding is possibly not as good as you think it is...

Thankfully the cabin was intact and no sign of ambulances etc, so just wounded pride.  Crying shame though with what could have been a new Christmas present…:-) 

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

As I have said before, power is nothing without control!

I had a drive in a Mitsubishi Evo a few years ago. It nearly scared me rigid - maybe the GTR driver over estimated his abilities?

The Nissan GTR is a lovely beast, my son's favourite supercar but not for him at the mo. He is throeing one around Silverstone in the next month or two, full harness belts, wide run-off areas and competition tyres will make it more sticky.

Not dry fly fishing this afternoon then Neil?

Edited by Gruffalo

• RMweb Gold

The extended outlook for Niton isn't much better  -

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/extended_outlook/extended_outlook.html

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Well it's persisting well persisting here & the two leaks have started again so I've definitely got the hump which is rather apt as today is Wednesday. (And I am a Wednesday's child so am full of woe)

Not going out to the new local restaurant now because we were going to walk there (not in this bl##dy weather though) & also have now found some unflattering (to say the least) online reviews. I know we should probably make our own minds up but maybe another time.

This means that Chris is in charge of catering tonight so whatever we have will be good great! superb! 

Edited by grandadbob